PDA

View Full Version : Best shore lunch?

ORVIS
12-17-2015, 04:09 PM
What would you guys include in your shore lunch?? Any basic fish recipes???

ADH
12-17-2015, 04:19 PM
What would you guys include in your shore lunch?? Any basic fish recipes???

Rum, Butter, Garlic, Fish... Fry in pan over fire...DONE

Mitchthefisher
12-17-2015, 04:20 PM
Rum, Butter, Garlic, Fish... Fry in pan over fire...DONE

X2 butwith your drink of choice.

ADH
12-17-2015, 04:21 PM
X2 butwith your drink of choice.

I agree with the drink of choice but I was referring to frying the fish with the rum in the pan.

Mitchthefisher
12-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Ahhh lol flew over my head.

ADH
12-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Ahhh lol flew over my head.

I always assume that a thermos of rum and coke or rye and water is implied.

EZM
12-17-2015, 04:32 PM
Pre-bag some flour infused with black pepper and spices and dip your boneless fillets in it while still moist. Then straight into hot oil.

Don't forget the cold beer.

schmedlap
12-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Pre-bag some flour infused with black pepper and spices and dip your boneless fillets in it while still moist. Then straight into hot oil.

and/or bag some good commercial coating (our favorite was a "tex-mex" variety that WO used to carry, that adhered very well, great spice, and gave a really crispy result - I haven't been able to find it lately, but most such are good) in large zip locks, put the fresh wet fillets in, shake it all up, and then into the hot oil. An initial coating of whipped egg helps with the adhesion if it is practical, but ...?

Wes_G
12-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Out at the place I guide at in Ontario, we dip the fish in condensed milk and egg wash, then bread with 1 part flour and 2 parts corn flake crumbs and some pepper or cajun spice then fry.

Serve it with beans and creamed corn, and fries. Every now and then we mix it up with a baked fish, fish chowder or cajun blackened as well.

pinelakeperch
12-17-2015, 07:52 PM
There's got to be some fried onions and sliced potatoes involved.

lone wolf
12-18-2015, 06:51 AM

x2 .......... nothing like potatoes fried over an open fire.

Kim473
12-18-2015, 07:02 AM

Try Aunt Jamima pancake mix rather than flour.

cranky
12-18-2015, 10:16 AM
A bag or two of favourite crumpled up potato chips (mines onion and garlic) with a whipped egg. Put in baggy and throw fish in. Shake and then into hot butter or oil.

Astrocyte
12-18-2015, 01:32 PM
I have always liked Rocky Madsens original fish coating mix. I like to add a bit of garlic and onion powder to it though. Adding beer to the egg wash.

I have always wanted to cook a whole fish right over the fire. Not sure why I have not done it yet though. Gut it and butterfly it so it stays open and let the fire/coals do its work. Probably have the fish over the coals using a metal grate or even just propped up using sticks. It would still have bones but that would force me to take my time eating the fish rather than scarfing it down in a second like usual lol. Has anyone done that cooking method before? Is it worth it? I see it on tv shows every once and awhile mostly them cooking trout like that. But I think a meaty piece of walleye or pike would work (only taken from lakes that allow you to keep).

58thecat
12-19-2015, 12:22 PM

can of beans too

DOGFISH
12-19-2015, 01:27 PM
I Have built a Shore lunch Kit, Rubbermaid container, Thunder Range Butane stove, Frying pan, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Flipper, Rocky Madsens Fish Crisp, Salt and Pepper, Paper Plates,cutlery, Canned beans and corn, alcohol soap for clean up. Heat oil until it just starts to smoke and enjoy. It is always a hit with Family and Fishing buddies. I do not leave home without it. Weighs around 20 to 30 pounds and fits on the boat or I haul it out on the ice. Best meals ever and simple. I hauled it to Alaska and back and use it in day use and camping areas while travelling.

portwein
12-20-2015, 07:32 PM
:)