PDA

View Full Version : Burbers

WayneChristie
12-17-2015, 06:50 PM
ok for the guys who regularly catch burbot, Im looking at a couple lakes that I know contain burbs, smaller lakes. what sort of depths and structure would you look for if you were scouting out a place like that. one is mostly shallow with a deep trench (almost 30 feet) a flooded coulee that runs through it. the other is probably 10 feetish and fairly even bottom.

anthony5
12-17-2015, 07:00 PM
Wayne, pound the ground to get their attention in the trench and find an edge on the flat one and pound the ground again, and wait for the fun😜

Talking moose
12-17-2015, 07:05 PM
Target them in February up on sand flats fairly shallow is best.

pinelakeperch
12-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Brightly coloured jigs with a minnow on a soft bottom!

EZM
12-17-2015, 07:47 PM
Find some bottom structure with some weeds 7-15 FOW give or take.

Small Rattlin Rap with a minnow - rattle em' up violently then pound the bottom and rest with small twitches and wait. Twitch and rest. If you don't bring one in - repeat the process every 5-10 minutes.

The big girls will slither into position slowly and surprise the crap out of you when the burst out of the weeds and swallow your rap.

About 50% of the time, despite the use of a camera, you won't even see them - they snake up so slowly it's crazy to watch.

Caught almost all of my burbs over the last 2 ice seasons using exactly that technique.

deerguy
12-17-2015, 08:01 PM
How often do you guys move to look for them?

SKSniper
12-18-2015, 06:01 AM
I have caught all of mine on sandy flat bottoms, anywhere from 8-21 fow. I found my glow-in-the-dark "macho minnow" (basically a buckshot spoon) tipped with smelt tail has been working the best this year. Like EZM said, smash it off the bottom and stir up the sand then raise up a few inches and pause. Not the best fighters but they are so much fun to target and catch.