PDA

View Full Version : Targeting Species In The Ice Shack Questions

Albertadiver
02-09-2009, 06:05 PM
I've got a 12' ice shack and I'm thinking about going out to Pine Lake this weekend for Saturday afternoon and overnight for a good chunk of Sunday.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24357

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/truck.jpg

I've always been fishing for perch in the shack and generally set up a tipup outside for pike.

For perch I usually experiment with different small jigs and put a maggot or two on. That's worked for me all my life. I usually just set the jig about a foot off the bottom, set my bobber and sit and stare at the thing for hours on end jigging once in a while.

For pike, I've generally set a smelt on a hook and set it about 5' under the ice.

I'm wondering if it would not be a good thing if I set up a perch line and a pike line in the shack in close proximity (holes within about 8' of each other)

I've never used ice fishing rods, but I'm thinking about picking two up, and getting some rod holders with a couple of small bells for the ends so I don't have to stare at the bobber so much. (hurts the neck after a while)

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_3914.jpg

Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated guys. I'll be taking the frying pan for dinner just in case!

I don't believe there are any burbs in Pine Lake, but I know there are lots of pickrel.

After 3 different outings, I finally caught my first fish in my new shack. What a monster eh? We caught 4 about the same size. I've been told that fishing is picking up out there.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/perch.jpg

Any tips, or suggestions appreciated guys. I know there's someone that will have some experiance with fishing perch and pike in the same shack at the same time. :wave:

jrs
02-09-2009, 07:37 PM
I target multiple species from within my shack all the time. Normally perch/whitefish with one and burbot/pike with another (jig tipped with minnow). I only fish tip ups a distance aways on calm silent days as i like to hear the bell/ flag right away. Having the jig rod close at hand leads to more fish as well, its amazing how many light hits result in catches of pike, burbot, even the odd jumbo perch or whitefish. I fish both lures near bottom though, that's how I've had the most luck.

Good luck at Pine, hope you get a few.

Albertadiver
02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
thanks, I was a little unsure if the smelts would cause the perch to shy away.

natureboy
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I cant say that I have ever fished for two species of fish at once out of the same shack so I cant help you there. However, I have had more than one line in the water at once in the same shack. I had a nice pike on and about 8' below the ice did the typical role and run and completely tangled himself on the second line. Needless to say I lost the fish...barbless hooks and all. I can also offer you this. In my opinion you would be much better of fishing you pike bait 10 to 20 inches off bottom. Mind you this is from my experiences only. I hope that some of this may help you some.

seahawkfisher
02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I always fish with 2 different setups in the shack at the same time; have a smelt on a quickstrike and jig a perch rig (two holes cut so i can see both on the cam) i also keep a whitefish rig close at hand if i need to quickly switch one up. more often than not, perch will come in to check out the smelt and i can lure them over to the smaller setup with a little action.

works for me
cheers

jrs
02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
"thanks, I was a little unsure if the smelts would cause the perch to shy away"

I've heard that but watching with the underwater camera they don't seem more nervous if theres a smelt around. On another note, a jumbo perch we caught this year had a 3'' long smelt its its belly. The other jumbo had a wireworm in his belly that i lost earlier in the day due to a nick in my line, tipped with a smelt head. Funny how that works sometimes, what are the chances?

The Fisherman Guy
02-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Congrats of your first fish in your shack!! There are plenty of more to come!

I have fished for walleye and burb this year out of my shack, mostly at night. Both species I have not caught before, until this year. It helps that the presentation and depths are almost identical for both species. I also bought two tipups, and I run bells on the flags outside the shack when fishing with two or more people.

Good luck! When are we going fishin?? ya ya this weekend is out. I am still not out of the doghouse... yet.:zzz:

Albertadiver
02-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Good luck! When are we going fishin?? ya ya this weekend is out. I am still not out of the doghouse... yet.:zzz:

Well, hope you're out of the doghouse soon, gets cramped after a while! TFG - saw you're headed to Ghost tommorrow. I've got that stupid cold that everyone seems to have these days, so I may stay indoors till the weekend just to get better.

At present the plan is to head out Saturday afternoon, and I'm going to spend one night for sure, and maybe sunday night as well.

Not sure which end of the lake I'm going to be on, but I may avoid the area around Scotty's if it's packed from the derby.

If any AO members see the Blue dakota and the canvass shelter pop in and say howdy. I'll have a buddy with me Saturday and may just be myself for the remainder. The wife may join me, not sure...

The Fisherman Guy
02-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Ahh too bad about tomorrow night. This weekend I am heading out to the gf's ranch to make up some ground on the relationship front. I may be a jerk for convincing her that ice fishing on valentines day IS romantic!! Luckily she has 3 good sized ponds stocked with some cutties, so we will not have to leave the ranch! Makes drinking and sleeping in a bed, her bed... legal!

Lets get out soon, you never know how our weather can turn on us and the ice is finished. Hope you get well before your overnighter, good luck!!

I will let you know how we do tomorrow night, and if the spot is good I will let you know where we were. Sounds like that lake is tough to fish.

Albertadiver
02-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Sounds like you have a great GF, so you'd better do what you can to keep her! I miss having the farm, too bad I didn't marry a farmgirl. Only farmland left in the family is my uncle's, and lets just say we're not welcome there. He has a dugout with rainbows stocked. Was a lot of fun fishing there.

Albertadiver
02-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Well, I think the plan is to head near the Salvation army campground. Will set up sometime Saturday and we'll be there till Monday afternoon. If you see us, say hi.