PDA

View Full Version : rainbow trout *NEED HELP*

Weavster
02-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Never fished rainbows in the winter and thought of maybe going out with a freind.Was looking at trying to get out on sunday and fish for some rainbow trout. I live in wetaskiwin area. Just woundering of any lakes or spots any help would greatly be apreciated. and if u could tell me what to use beacuse like i said ive never done this before. and dont be affraid to pm if u dont wanna post it on the board
thanks,
Mat

ruger338
02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
ive always had good luck with light line I use 4-6 lbs vanish
a small hook dont know the number approx the length of your thumb
and live worms, lots of them dont be afraid of the worm
and a couple of small bb size sinkers, drop to the bottom pull up between
8- 12 inches and jig a bit every few mins , this is just my way of catching them havent been skunked for a long time
also same strategy works on perch

bigbear
02-09-2009, 09:53 PM
When I fish for rainbows through the ice, I use a small jig head (1/32" or a bit larger) and use power bait to form a body. I leave approx. 3/16" of the hook shaft uncovered. I prefer to wrap the line around my finger so I can feel any light bites and can set the hook quickly. No rod required, just pull the line up by hand. 6# line is good, no leader.
Good luck!

The Fisherman Guy
02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I use a lure called a Swedish pimple and a worm. Take the treble off the pimple and replace with a single #6 eagle claw hook. Try various presentations, and depths to find the fish. I have caught them on bottom, 4 inches under the ice and suspended. Try slow jigging, fast short jigging, switch up your presentation and location if you are not getting bites.

Also try searching the forum for old posts, there are great tidbits of help out there, and you will find what you are looking for, more often faster than waiting for someone to reply to you.

Good luck!:wave:

Jester
02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Some people may frown on this but I use a tiny jig with one kernel of...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51D0K2WSM7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

fishunter77
02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I find that this time of year slows down for rainbows in the pothole lakes. The fishing is usually the best from ice on to Christmas.

I like mitzi ditzi's in different colors for hooks. Small jig heads without a body are also good. Various baits can be used. I have my best success with different colors of powerbait. Try canned shrimp and also maggots loaded on the hook. Dew worms work as well.

The presentation I use is very little movement. I let the hook sit for about 60 seconds then light taps for about 10 seconds. Use light line 4-6lb test. This is the first year I purchased a Marmish rod and I love it for trout. It is extremely sensitive. I have 4 set up with different combinations of hooks that I try until getting some nibbles. :)

There is not any magic bait or lure. You have to work to get to know what to use.

Carson lake is a bit of a drive but you will still catch some. The lake has many that are between 11" to 14". I have caught and seen people catch larger trout on large lures that you would not usually use. Don't be afraid to experiment.

I hope you catch a few!!

jrs
02-09-2009, 10:44 PM
"Some people may frown on this but I use a tiny jig with one kernel of..."

They can frown but not argue, it works wonders in most stocked lakes :) I normally fish a few kernels of corn on two #12 bait hooks on a pickerel rig. I put a heavy bell weight on the bottom so the bobber is partially sunk. The slightest tap can be detected this way. If you actually pay attention while trout fishing you wont hook that many deep either. With my other rod, i jig a little red devil. My Dad caught a awesome 24'' rainbow out of a southern lake last year with the red devil, and the locals said we'd be hard pressed to get any over 16'' :) Good luck, i don't know of any lakes to recommend in that neck of the woods.

And don't believe power bait always works better, its just not true :tongue2: To make the corn really tempting, mix a bit of milk with yellow food coloring and garlic powder and marinate the corn over night, works awesome.

DustDee
02-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I use a spoon for an attactor with a snelled hook dropped off it. I use maggots, shrimp, worms, corn, various powerbait, etc, on the snelled hook until I find what they are biting.

fishunter77
02-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Has anyone caught Rainbows in pothole lakes this late in the season?

Do they shut down and try to survive the rest of winter?

Thanks for any information.

Takmaster
02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
I tend to catch trout all season in local potholes. I find the 'bows usually start to pick up from Mid-Feb till ice off. One just needs to know what to catch them on. Just because it works at first ice doesn't mean it will catch fish every time. If they are not feeding as much and you don't know what they are eating; try ****ing them off. The fish will always be hitting on something!

triple b
02-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I caught three last sunday morning. 2 @ 14" and 1 @ 18" using a small green buckshot spoon with a piece of cocktail shrimp just big enough to cover the treble hook.They bit very lightly. I would recommend using a tent to see them or a very small bobber any where from just off the bottom to about 3 feet up.

beermilk
02-11-2009, 09:31 AM
SHRIMP SHRIMP AND MORE SHRIMP works wonders

whitewolf
02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
i have still been catching them lots on velveeta cheese...even when other people havnt been catching them.

4D7
02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
i have still been catching them lots on velveeta cheese...even when other people havnt been catching them.

x2 for the cheese works great!

Weavster
02-11-2009, 08:05 PM
thanks for helping everyone

lambski
02-12-2009, 10:44 PM
Cheese eggs, very little movement

Big.Bear
02-12-2009, 10:48 PM
When I went ice fishing for trout we used huge shrimp and did well.

AxeMan
02-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Has anyone caught Rainbows in pothole lakes this late in the season?

Do they shut down and try to survive the rest of winter?

Thanks for any information.

I my experience, I find pothole rainbows do bite better earlier in the winter season. This doesn't mean you can't have good days in March, but the bite is more consistent earlier in the season. Maybe it has something to do with the oxygen levels in the smaller pot hole lakes. The female trout are usually loaded up with eggs late in the season too so this may make them a little slower to bite. I tend to catch a bigger percentage of male fish later in the season. I fish a set of private stocked ponds very regularly and this true for them year after year.

fishunter77
02-12-2009, 11:34 PM
AxeMan,

I agree with you. They bite great once there is about 4" of ice. At least you can have action all day.

The later in the year, they shut down and are very slow.