PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing brown trout

FlyTheory
12-19-2015, 01:21 PM
Hey all,

My fishing buddy and I are going for Browns through the ice this year. I have done a bunch of research but any tips would be appreciated! My biggest question is if Browns are heavily structure oriented fish, weed lines, drop offs etc?
Any other tips would be great. If we're successful I'll post a report :)
Cheers and thank you

Bhflyfisher
12-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Sent him a satellite imagery map. Fish that edge on the drop off.

FlyTheory
12-19-2015, 01:45 PM
Sent him a satellite imagery map. Fish that edge on the drop off.

I already have the coods of the drop off's outline programmed into my GPS. Thank you for the information

RavYak
12-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Save yourself the hassle and target a different species. If you are going to the same lake I fish then it isn't worth it. I have tried 7 times through the ice now unsuccessfully and know some other very good anglers that find them near impossible to catch through the ice as well. I have only seen one come through the ice so far and believe it in large part just comes down to hours and luck.

lambski
12-19-2015, 04:34 PM
U can get them in there but shes a tough gig! They put way more browns in there now then they used to so I would expect some in the 2 pound range for sure, don't be surprised if u get a rainbow or a brookie in the process. Feed em what they eat in the winter.

Zeb
12-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Is this the size your looking for or a bit bigger?

MBL
12-20-2015, 08:51 AM
There is no ice in that picture.

lambski
12-20-2015, 08:51 AM
Definitely some of those in there!:fighting0074:

goldscud
12-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Zeb that looks a lot like a Montana spawner

FisherPotch
12-20-2015, 09:27 PM
I'm guessing I know the lake......seems near impossible through the ice......I've heard of a couple recent bows in open water......but brookies??

Mangosteen
12-21-2015, 06:03 AM
It's just out my back Door within an hour so will give it a shot.

What you guys using for hooks and bait?

dbllung
12-21-2015, 08:43 AM
I spent most of my childhood ice fishing for browns in Manitoba (there are lots of lakes with browns there).
3 pieces of advice

1 -they are very piscivorous (use minnows where legal)
2 -fish break lines or weed edges
3 -start fishing 1 hour before sunrise,and you may as well go home 1 hour after sun up as they are low light feeders

15 plus years catching tonnes of brownies through the ice has taught me those lessons

Only my experience other opinions my differ

Zeb
12-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Yes that is a Brown from Duck Lake it was caught back in the Eighties when there were still big fish:)

lambski
12-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Yes brookies!

Mangosteen
12-21-2015, 01:11 PM
I spent most of my childhood ice fishing for browns in Manitoba (there are lots of lakes with browns there).
3 pieces of advice

2 -fish break lines or weed edges
3 -start fishing 1 hour before sunrise,and you may as well go home 1 hour after sun up as they are low light feeders

15 plus years catching tonnes of brownies through the ice has taught me those lessons

Only my experience other opinions my differ

Well your sure right about the sunrise. Did not see any Browns but saw 7 Brooks this morning. Caught two and lost 2. By 1030 it was dead and went home.

RavYak
12-21-2015, 04:12 PM

Minnows are illegal in almost every brown trout lake in Alberta (ES1, ES2 and ES3 lakes).

dbllung
12-21-2015, 11:17 PM
Minnows are illegal in almost every brown trout lake in Alberta (ES1, ES2 and ES3 lakes).

Ummm. Yes that is correct ... And exactly why I said "where legal"

Where you can use them ... They are the best bait!

I do not know where the op plans to fish

Any way

Good luck op!

dbllung
12-22-2015, 07:22 AM
If you are fishing a lake with a bait fish ban

1-2 inch power bait minnows that mimic local forage will work too
I use pearl and olive power minnows

Small hook, and no weight ! Takes a little longer to get your hook down but still works

Douglas N
12-22-2015, 06:32 PM
If you are fishing a lake with a bait fish ban

1-2 inch power bait minnows that mimic local forage will work too
I use pearl and olive power minnows

Small hook, and no weight ! Takes a little longer to get your hook down but still works

Using power bait or scented baits in waters with bait bans is illegal. Below is directly from the regs.

Fishing with Bait

Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

Bait Ban — means where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used. In specific streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In specific lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations (see Important Definitions).

DonTreadOnMe
12-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Using power bait or scented baits in waters with bait bans is illegal. Below is directly from the regs.

Fishing with Bait

Bait — the definition of bait (see Definitions) includes, but is not restricted to: corn, cheese, marshmallows, meat, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms, gammarus shrimp, leeches, terrestrial insects, the larvae, pupae or adults of aquatic insects (e.g., stonefly, mayfly, caddis fly), bait fish, parts of fish, fish eggs, scented baits, power baits and all additives that scent or flavour artificial baits and lures.

Bait Ban — means where bait bans are in effect only unscented lures may be used. In specific streams, only maggots may be used as bait during certain times of the year to allow anglers to fish for mountain whitefish with less impact on trout populations. In specific lakes, only maggots and mealworms may be used as bait to allow anglers to fish for perch and lake whitefish with less impact on pike populations (see Important Definitions).

Several ES lakes have bait fish bans, but not bait bans...

upongrassy
12-22-2015, 07:13 PM

Fishing with Bait

Bait FISH ban lol come on....

Douglas N
12-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Several ES lakes have bait fish bans, but not bait bans...

Well- you learn something new every day. Thanks for that. I see a list of lakes in the regs.

That said- I have seen lots of folks in lakes with bait bans (not bait fish bans) using scents and power baits.

DonTreadOnMe
12-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Bait FISH ban lol come on....

What would you call it if you can use bait, but not bait fish??

RavYak
12-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Ummm. Yes that is correct ... And exactly why I said "where legal"

Where you can use them ... They are the best bait!

I do not know where the op plans to fish

Any way

Good luck op!

And I was just pointing out that unless the OP plans to fish in a different province he should probably leave the minnows at home...

Douglas N, ES1, ES2 and ES3 zones have baitfish bans on almost all their lakes(a few exceptions listed at the beginning of each zones regs).

This is a reg that many people don't even realize exists. I have seen it broken many times and when I mention it the people never even knew about it. I wish they would just list the baitfish bans beside the specific lakes instead of leaving it under the zone regs.

Douglas N
12-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Ya- I didn't think there were any lakes in Alberta where we could use baitfish. I know I haven't. I was obviously wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. I see I have an opportunity to study the regs. I wonder what else I am missing.

Have a good night guys!!

RavYak
12-22-2015, 10:41 PM
Ya- I didn't think there were any lakes in Alberta where we could use baitfish. I know I haven't. I was obviously wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. I see I have an opportunity to study the regs. I wonder what else I am missing.

Have a good night guys!!

You can't use live baitfish. You can use dead minnows and other dead baitfish in some lakes but not if they have a baitfish or bait ban.