PDA

View Full Version : Camera distance

Supergrit
12-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Wonder how much distance people have between camera and hook.

bossmann
12-20-2015, 07:50 PM
I like to put it as far way as I can and just being able to see the hook

So it depends on light and water clarity
I think the camera scares the whites a bit if it's too close

.270fan
12-20-2015, 08:17 PM
I as well try to get it as far away as possible while still keeping the hook visible. Depending on how murky the water is affects that a lot . Last year at Gull we had to be no more than maybe 3 or 4 feet away.

Never had a white bite while the camera was down that close...pike, perch, walleye and burbot don't seem to be bothered though

schleprock
12-20-2015, 08:45 PM
I rig mine up so that it points straight down about 18 inches above my hook. Also run the camera in the same hole that my fishing line is in. If a pike grabs my perch hook, there is plenty of time to pull the camera up so that it doesn't get tangled. For perch and walleye, I leave the camera down hole. No problems in the last fourteen years.

old dog
12-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Normally set it 3-4 feet as well from my hooks

huntsfurfish
12-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Usually set as far as possible and usually minimum of 4 feet. Depends on water clarity, fish species and depth.

I might have as many as 4 cameras set up. And 2 fishfinders.:sign0176:

Bobby B.
12-21-2015, 10:10 AM
I fish in a Clam XL4000T. If fishing alone, I drill 2 holes for my rods and 1 hole for the camera. If fishing with a buddy, it's 4 holes for the rods and 1 hole for the camera.

Regardless of whether there's holes for 2 rods or for 4, the hole for the camera is 4.5 ft from the closest rod hole(s) and 7.5 ft from the furthest hole(s). This positioning allows the camera to see all 4 hooks at the same time providing water clarity is sufficient. In winter, I mostly fish for trout and, so far, only once, at Carson, was visibility insufficient. Also, this positioning ensures that all holes are within the heated confines of my tent.

Bobby

yetiseeker
12-21-2015, 10:17 AM
I will set the camera up usually about 4 feet from the closest hole. I angle the camera so I get both holes in the view. In other words, drill the camera hole almost in a straight line from both fishing holes so you can capture both hooks in the picture with the first hole being closest to the camera, and the second hole in the back ground. A slight angle helps to get some separation, but not too large to allow both hooks to be viewed at once.

If you're using a camera, I would highly recommend investing the $120 in the "Mo-Pod" - the wireless motor pod that allows you to rotate the camera. It works great for looking around once in a while, and allows you to make micro adjustments to your cameras location as the camera will move through out the day - cord unwinds, fish swims by, etc.

JohninAB
12-21-2015, 10:20 AM
When fishing by myself I drill three holes in my Eskimo 949i. One in each corner other than the corner where the door I use is at. Allows for 5 to 6 feet between camera and either hook. Use the panner to go from hook to hook but it is usually left on the hook I am actively fishing as other hole usually has the Jawjacker set up on it.

EZM
12-21-2015, 09:38 PM
I try and get it back as far as the water clarity will let me. This is usually 7-8 feet at best but it's often a little closer.

I tend to drill my holes (usually 3) in a row and position the camera so it can capture all three hooks on one screen - you can usually get at least two hooks on the viewer.