PDA

View Full Version : Stocked trout techniques

pinelakeperch
12-21-2015, 11:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I was hoping anyone with experience ice fishing for stocked trout could share their techniques. I've seen some very large rainbows in Blood Indian (for the lake), but have been having a difficult time enticing them to bite aggressively. I realize the large ones get to their size by being smart and selective, but I think trying some new techniques could lead to more success with the larger fish.

I've been primarily using a small Northland Forage Minnow jigging spoon tipped with a 1in Power Bait minnow. My numbers have been good, but I'm having a difficult time catching fish over the 14in mark. Trying to catch those 20s!

Any help is appreciated!

rafhone
12-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Chunk of worm. Huge fan right here of chunk of worm on a hook if it's legal. If I'm putting it on a treble I'll put it through two hooks and leave a tag end to wiggle. Lure action isnt affected much, but if you load up that trebble on all the hooks with worm you lose all action on the lure. Also a dead line with worm on a drop shot rig or with a bobber. Tie your drop shot worm hook correctly so it sits nice and horizontal with hook facing up.

Freddydog
12-22-2015, 07:49 PM
X2 try worms or shrimp meat

Freddydog
12-22-2015, 07:50 PM
I have also had good luck fly fishing. Let a scud or chironomid pattern sit near bottom and twitch it when a trout cruises near.

Crankbait
12-22-2015, 08:11 PM
jig a big flap of squid.

huntsfurfish
12-22-2015, 08:12 PM
big bait big fish

Crankbait
12-22-2015, 08:22 PM
big bait big fish

Big Bam Boom!

I was out at a lake one day (open water season), where the average bow is about 16 inches. The fishing that day was horrible for everyone and the wind was outrageous, enough to lift small aircraft. Out of boredom, I put on a 1 ounce Len Thompson red and white and started casting into the wind and just as my friend asked what the hell I was trying to catch BAMMM!!! 22 inch rainbow slams my lure.

stubblejumper01
12-22-2015, 09:37 PM
A five of diamonds,the smallest they make tipped with maggots works well. Also Northland makes a small jig called the Gypsy jig that works well with maggots,meal worms , a piece of worm or powerbait. Once you tie it on, slide the knot down the eye of your hook towards the shank so that the jig sits horizontal in the water. Sometimes they hit a still hook, sometimes they hit it when you jig it a bit. I drill 2 holes inside my tent and will have one still line and jig the other one. Most trout lakes you can see the fish come up and see their reaction to what you are using. Often 2 fish come in fast together and doubleheaders are not uncommon.