PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Ice Augers vs Electric ION and Spooked Fish

Mangosteen
12-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Just wondering if the gas powered ice augers spook the fish like trout in contrast to those ION ones?

Is there an advantage of the ION electric ones!

I do not think it would make too much difference for Perch but how about trout or whitefish? Just wondering as I am in the looking for a powered ice auger.

Dewey Cox
12-22-2015, 01:21 PM
I'm not a fish, but I have known a few...
I think that the actual auger blades chewing through the ice would be spookier to fish than the sound of the engine up above the ice.

pinelakeperch
12-22-2015, 01:23 PM
I haven't experienced a gas auger scaring fish away, but it's certainly possible. I certainly wouldn't buy one myself due to being afraid that a gas auger would be scaring the fish away, but that's just me.

Check out these links for the pros and cons of electric augers:

http://www.icefishingcanada.ca/iceaugers2.html

https://www.chainsawjournal.com/electric-ion-ice-auger-review/

1bluZebec
12-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Everyone with gas augers have always caught fish along with everyone else. I wouldn't buy an ion because it's tooo much money especially if you want a spare battery for a backup. The noise is on bottom of everyone's list for things to worry about when choosing an auger. Cost is probably number one with reliability right behind and then maybe specific features like weight size speed reverse ect.

huntsfurfish
12-22-2015, 02:41 PM
Actually have experienced quite frequently a quick bite from pike from a fresh new hole. Wonder if they think of it as a dinner bell.:)

That was with gas auger.

huntsfurfish
12-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Everyone with gas augers have always caught fish along with everyone else. I wouldn't buy an ion because it's tooo much money especially if you want a spare battery for a backup. The noise is on bottom of everyone's list for things to worry about when choosing an auger. Cost is probably number one with reliability right behind and then maybe specific features like weight size speed reverse ect.

Then dont buy one.Lol

No starting, no gas to mix or spill, no fumes, no burns, light weight, quiet, can transport inside vehicle, no problem drilling in confined space etc.
Many might find those are some pretty good reasons.:)

Tom Pullings
12-22-2015, 02:49 PM
I think that the actual auger blades chewing through the ice would be spookier to fish than the sound of the engine up above the ice.

That makes the most sense to me.

Mitchthefisher
12-22-2015, 03:22 PM
I usually try drilling all my holes before first light so i dont have to worry about spooking anything.

Kim473
12-22-2015, 03:26 PM
I don't find that the auger spooks fish. I do get a bite right away when a truck drives by.

Mayhem
12-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Actually have experienced quite frequently a quick bite from pike from a fresh new hole. Wonder if they think of it as a dinner bell.:)

That was with gas auger.

Same here...Caught walleye and perch as well though doesn't happen as often.

EZM
12-22-2015, 04:29 PM

That was with gas auger.

I don't believe for a minute an auger spooks fish - There are a few times where a freshly drilled hole seems to get hot right away.

I have also been down the hole with a camera about 6-8 feet from a hole being drilled and watched perch swarm to the area to investigate. It was pretty amazing to see them swim through the churning ice chips to see what's for dinner.

BuckCuller
12-22-2015, 04:52 PM
A lot of times when the bite starts to taper off and gets slow I'll drill a new hole or two and get some action shortly after. Maybe it's in my head but it seems to work for me.

stubblejumper01
12-22-2015, 06:30 PM
The biggest brookie I ever caught was after drilling a hole and dropping a hook down to check depth. Fish hit before it got to bottom. About 2 1/2 lbs.
I catch a lot of fish right after drilling a hole and checking depth. Perch, pike,walleye, trout.
Also when the action slows, I've caught a lot of fish as soon as I start to drill another hole. They seem to strike the still lines a lot when you start drilling.
Maybe they were just sitting there looking at the bait and the noise spurred them into action?
Always using a gas auger. Tried an Ion but it broke second trip with it so I returned it

1bluZebec
12-22-2015, 06:55 PM
Then dont buy one.Lol

No starting, no gas to mix or spill, no fumes, no burns, light weight, quiet, can transport inside vehicle, no problem drilling in confined space etc.
Many might find those are some pretty good reasons.:)
Never will[emoji23] wayyyy to much money for what you get. I think the gas auger is a man's auger and the ion was built for the ladies lol. I don't think any of the things you named are worried about by most fishermen. Do you own a prius for a vehicle by chance[emoji23]

huntsfurfish
12-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Never will[emoji23] wayyyy to much money for what you get. I think the gas auger is a man's auger and the ion was built for the ladies lol. I don't think any of the things you named are worried about by most fishermen. Do you own a prius for a vehicle by chance[emoji23]

Ions are for people with class. So not for you I guess.lol
Nope pickup truck. You could always ask for donations. lol:);)

Game Hunter
12-22-2015, 09:21 PM
I purposely drill holes when it gets slow around my tent. If anything my success increases.

npauls
12-22-2015, 09:22 PM
I wouldnt buy an ion because i would run the battery dead well before the end of the day every trip. I drill far too many holes to make the ion worth while and the last thing i want is to carry an extra battery.

My strikemaster 2 stroke is light weight. Uses very little fuel. And starts up fine every time. I can fill the tank and go for a bunch of trips before refilling. I dont have to worry about fumes because i am never drilling in a hut anyways.

Everyone has a different style that requires different needs in their equipment. I personally dont trust batteries.

1bluZebec
12-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Let me guess, you drive a ridgeline?[emoji23] As for class you hit the nail on the head about class. Just a regular fisherman[emoji6]

binnzer32
12-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Haaa

binnzer32
12-22-2015, 09:52 PM
X2
Plus who wants to worry about babysitting batteries all day and keeping them warm. I guess you could always put them in your purse though. .... 😁😁 Also batteries weaken with age and eventually don't hold a charge. I as others have mentioned drill way too many holes. I use a Husqvarna same weight as a ion but only 1 million times better. Even paid the same price.

Game Hunter
12-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Pretty sure us fisherman don't have to be classy standing on a freezing cold lake in the winter looking at a hole. Haha
Maybe sylvan
:snapoutofit:

1bluZebec
12-22-2015, 10:25 PM
X2
Plus who wants to worry about babysitting batteries all day and keeping them warm. I guess you could always put them in your purse though. .... 😁😁 Also batteries weaken with age and eventually don't hold a charge. I as others have mentioned drill way too many holes. I use a Husqvarna same weight as a ion but only 1 million times better. Even paid the same price.
Nicely put lol[emoji6] -40 see how long they can keep up. For me I just want somthing cheap reliable that gets job done and I found it for 300 bucks and now going on fifth year with it without a hiccup and still on original blades. Couldn't be happier, for the money. Then I keep hearing about the weight difference lol. If your struggling to pull 50 lbs around in a sled or over your shoulder for that long then you should be happy there is a power auger for you too[emoji2] just at a premium dollar. Electric augers plain and simple aren't cool[emoji23]

Brandonkop
12-22-2015, 10:52 PM
There is one simple reason not to get an ion. An ice auger is meant to drill holes. When that battery dies it doesn't drill anymore holes.

In their brochure they have a consumer comment, "we were amazed it drilled 35+ holes on our trip"

They claim 40 holes in 24 inches. That's probably ideal conditions with a warm battery. And how long do we have 24 inches of ice in alberta. Would suck in march with 3 to 4 feet of ice.

I have never had a power auger scare fish. The power head is above ice. The auger is what makes the noise under the ice.

To me 40 holes isn't nearly enough. Many days we punch 80 to 100 holes looking for fish. Go for a three day trip and that poor ion isn't going to cut it!

Double-Eh
12-22-2015, 11:38 PM
Last year caught a walleye in 8 feet on a tip up while drilling with my gas Eskimo.
Yesterday had a fat pike hit the jaw jacker while drilling in 20 feet.

Both instances I was some 10 feet or so from the hole the fish hit at.

Last year we were fishing perch in 6 feet. My buddy was watching perch swarm his hook as we were punching hole after hole. Said they barely even reacted to the blade breaking through.

So I'm on the "makes no real difference" team. And I love my Eskimo. Starts in all weather. A full tank and a jerry can lasts almost all winter. And it's paid for in full.

Mangosteen
12-23-2015, 04:42 AM
Anyone into the propane bottle augers as another option.

I love two strokes myself in dirt bikes and vintage motocrossers for the reliability and power curve thrill.

Has anyone tried the propane augers?

jeffrey929
12-23-2015, 06:11 AM
I have a Jiff Pro 4, propane auger... I have no complaints... Starts on first pull 99% of the time... That being said, I purchased an Ion this year, and absolutely love it

Ithaca Dog
12-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Anyone into the propane bottle augers as another option.

I love two strokes myself in dirt bikes and vintage motocrossers for the reliability and power curve thrill.

Has anyone tried the propane augers?

I bought a propane auger a couple of years ago. I love it. No gas smell and no mess. It starts on the first or second pull every time. Lots of power. It was a good buy.

I store it inside cause I don't have a garage and I didn't want the gas smell in the house.

Works well for me.

Battery
12-23-2015, 09:58 AM

That was with gas auger.

This!. We were at Burnstick last week with our gas Auger and the only fish (pike) we saw all day was right after we drilled a hole and instantly dropped the bait down. If anything, I think the sound attracts them.

sparky660
12-28-2015, 08:40 PM
I bought a propane auger a couple of years ago. I love it. No gas smell and no mess. It starts on the first or second pull every time. Lots of power. It was a good buy.

I store it inside cause I don't have a garage and I didn't want the gas smell in the house.

Works well for me.

3rd year with my propane jiffy and no complaints other than the recoil is getting weak.

tight line
12-28-2015, 09:22 PM
I have literally drilled a hole with my 10" jiffy that is pretty snorty, dropped a jig blind to check depth and instantly have a pike on, it has happened with whites as well. Dont think it spookes them, but some days a guy wonders..lol

Kim473
12-29-2015, 06:41 AM
Can get a 10" Eskimo on sale right now for $360.00. Can almost buy two for the price of the Ion. 1 gallon of gas lasts me all season and I drill a few hundred holes a year. 1 tank in the auger lasts me 2 - 3 trips.
The Ion is just not worth it. If your battery needs replaceing, = $ 150.00 or more. JMO.

My Eskimo always starts 1 - 2 pulls no matter what. Just don't pull the cord out like your trying to start a 10hp snowblower. Little tugs is all it takes. Going on 5 seasons now I think.

cube
12-30-2015, 02:40 PM

X3

Dave Genz put an under water microphone down a hole to test this a couple of years ago now. He found that only the sound of the cutting blades could be heard under the water.

I tend to get into an area and drill a number of holes that way no more drilling disturbance while I'm fishing.

Only big advantage to electric augers is drilling inside ice chantey's.

Mangosteen
12-31-2015, 06:51 AM
Anyone try that KDrill system ?

Mangosteen
12-31-2015, 07:55 AM
https://www.facebook.com/356401572329/videos/10153139736977330/

I wonder how many inches of ice it would be good for using that Milwaukee Fuel drill.

I guess one would have to buy a voltage converter to charge it from your truck.

BlackHeart
12-31-2015, 09:27 AM
http://www.lewiswinch.com/multidrill/Ice_Augers.html#10%20Ice%20read

Matched to a 71cc Husqvarna.
[Insert Tim Allen Binford Grunt]

Gbuss
12-31-2015, 07:27 PM
I own man power auger. It drills all the holes I need. By the end of the season you can get 30 to 40 holes a day. It doesn't break down it will start in -40 and it keeps me warm when I start to get cold. I also paid under 100$ for it. It is a hand auger and she drills 8" holes all day long.

Gordon

EZM
01-01-2016, 02:30 PM
I have a couple augers .... a Z71 with a 10" flight that cuts a hole an inch a second and has more power than a kia. It will pull a small man down a hole or power a merry go round with no problems. Only issue is it does drip fuel if the power head isn't upright or tank is overfilled - kind of a pain sometimes.

I also have a Eskimo HC propane 10" and it starts with one easy pull every time and zero gas/fuel spills. It has the exact same flight/auger as the Z71. It doesn't cut as fast, but it can still get through 18" of ice in under 30 seconds and is allot lighter.

It's not hard to take an extra 1lb propane cylinder into the cab of the truck or into the tent should the weather drop below -30. Since I don't often go out after minus 30 anyways - I have zero concerns.

I have had it out in minus 26 with the wind (maybe minus 30-35) and after a 6-7 hours out there, she started on the first pull.

I have nothing against electric augers (ion) but everytime I see one at the lake or at the store the flight seems wobbly and ricketty. I also don't like the idea of running out of juice on the ice.

Mangosteen
01-01-2016, 02:53 PM
I own man power auger. It drills all the holes I need. By the end of the season you can get 30 to 40 holes a day. It doesn't break down it will start in -40 and it keeps me warm when I start to get cold. I also paid under 100$ for it. It is a hand auger and she drills 8" holes all day long.

Gordon

Yep my machine is the same. Just feed it well and it drills all day. One of these days I will get me something better as I get older however. 57 now.

Maybe a Propane one I am thinking. Just have not spent many winters in Canada.

57charlie
01-01-2016, 03:22 PM
I think the sound of an ice auger is music. I don't think fish get spooked by gas powered augers going through the ice. I've pulled my share of perch, pickerel within minutes of drilling a new hole. As a matter of fact just yesterday I pulled 2 perch out within 3 minutes of drilling a fresh hole.

Deep
01-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Noisy ice auger----the idea of it distracting fish? Unless you leave it running while you fish? Main reason I enjoy fishing is the solitude.

dodger
01-01-2016, 04:16 PM
A lot of times when the bite starts to taper off and gets slow I'll drill a new hole or two and get some action shortly after. Maybe it's in my head but it seems to work for me.

Been there done that for Pike. ^^^

Dodger.

Sundancefisher
01-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Just wondering if the gas powered ice augers spook the fish like trout in contrast to those ION ones?

Is there an advantage of the ION electric ones!

I do not think it would make too much difference for Perch but how about trout or whitefish? Just wondering as I am in the looking for a powered ice auger.

Never noticed a difference in normal snow covered ice conditions. Still I normally drill a series of holes in an L shape. 6-12 holes depending upon structure and species I am targeting. I drill more when chasing perch, pike, walleye and whitefish. Fewer chasing trout.