PDA

View Full Version : Waders

rhuntley12
02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
So the misses wants to get me waders, I've never actually used waders before. Anyone have suggestions on what to get? Is neoprene good? I always fished on lakes and never needed them but with all the good rivers here I'll be using them a lot.

ICE HOLE
02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey rhuntley12 - it just depends on when you will use them most and budget. Late fall, winter, and early spring = neoprene. Summer and some spring use = breathable.

Neoprene is unbarable on a 25 -30 degree day. You wind up just as wet as if you'd gone without them. They are a good choice for winter steelheading or duck hunting and will cost about $120 for a 3 mil set and about $160 for a 5 mil.

A good breathable like Wardell Economy (made in Calgary about $220) with micro fleece underware will get you through most conditions.

Hope this helps

goldscud
02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Best deal for 5mm neoprenes is from Cabelas. They have their own model for $59 US. If it's over +25C, then it's time to get out of the waders and into some shorts.

rhuntley12
02-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info, it'd be fall and spring mostly, as summer is fine with shorts. I'll check out the breathable, I had just heard neoprene was the way to go but makes sense to stay away if it's warmer.

mikeym
02-10-2009, 01:31 PM
get the brathables. i had my Reddingtons for the past 3 seasons and i will never go back to neoprenes ever. extrermely comfortable and a joy to walk in compared to neoprenes. i even use them in fall/early winter and no cold problem at all. just wear a pair of sweats/fleece underneath for warmth.

started out with neoprenes at first and never had a pair that lasted more than one season before they either tore or leaked at every seam.

my first breathables were Hodgman and they were great until they got stolen. then bought the Reddington and although not as good a fit as the Hidgmans were, they are incredibly nice also. very rugged and not a leak yet and i put a lot of km on them walking the streams. while my friends in their neoprenes are sweating up a storm on a 25 deg day, i am nice and comfortable. even use them for float tubing on mountain lakes without anything undderneath. on cold days or mountain lakes a pair of fleece or even sweats underneath keep you very warm.

i would really recommend you spring for a decent set of brathables over neoprenes.everyone i fish with that has breathables swear by them and they outlast neoprenes by a long shot. friends that have neoprenes that only go out a couple times a year still only get maybe 2 yrs out of them before they replace them while friends that get about 20 - 30 stream days have the same breathables after 5 yrs with no signs of wear.

Rgds
Mike

Wazzy
02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I use my neoprenes strictly for float tubing in lakes and breathables for streams/rivers/creeks. I agree, the breathables can be used year round and in the cold a pair of Under Armour cold gear leggings do the trick. On the hot summer days all ya need is shorts and a good pair of sandals that secure firmly to your feet. ;)

Scott N
02-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I agree that breathables are more comfortable than neoprenes, but I do still own both types. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that breathables are generally not recommended to be used a great deal in float tubes. I had heard this rumor before and contacted Wardell here in Calgary, and they confirmed that they do not recommend using their breathables in float tubes as they wear a lot faster.

If you fish mostly in the spring and fall, you might find that neoprene waders will be suitable for the colder water and be less expensive than a good pair of breathables.

rhuntley12
02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Price really isn't an issue I just wanted to know what to look for before I went shopping, I think I'll take a look at wholesale sports this weekend and give the breathables a shot.

skykomish sunrise
02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
i have the blackwater by bear and really like them...in all weather. a couple layers under the breathables beats the heck out of neo's. from being on the toon all the time i wore the crotch stitching area prematuraly and got some seam leaks. bear had em back in 2 weeks no charge even though they were almost 3 yrs old.

jrs
02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I wear waders 5-6 days a week all summer and go through 2 to 3 sets a year, i think I've experienced most things that can go wrong with the silly things. For what you describe, sounds like lightweights (aka breathables) would suffice. The new breathable lightweights are far superior to the original non-breathable thick plastic feeling boots for fishing purposes, cabelas is the only outfit that still carries any sort of the old age styles. Just wear a couple layers underneath in the spring and you're set. If you're bellyboating in alpine lakes you can't dress warm enough for them to work, for everything else they're pretty much fine.

You'll need wading boots with them as well, look for real leather, or double/triple seams. I've bought $60 boots that last an entire field season and I've also bought $180 orvis boots that lasted just over a month. Look for warranty info if you're spending big money, I'd say the number of lemons is higher than in most outdoor gear. Most brands offer decent warranties, I've returned a few pairs that fell apart after a few weeks.

The most important thing is make sure the waders fit properly. You should be able to step up on a knee height bench with no stress on the crotch or seams. This is more important than brand or price. The other issue spot i run into is ankles/calves. Waders will implode way quicker when the seams are under stress. Too loose is no good either as they catch on everything and the nature of most wader materials means they rip (especially neoprene).

Good luck with your purchase, hope that helps.

Big.Bear
02-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I like my BARE waders, simms are also nice.

STAY AWAY FROM NEOPRENE. I fish in my breathable BARE's in the summer and winter and there fine.

lambski
02-12-2009, 10:49 PM
simms