PDA

View Full Version : Monsters

jts1
02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I am looking to see if someone can help me out. I am looking for a lake within a days drive of Calgary where I could get the wife and man cub hooked up to some large fish. We do OK with your average size fish here locally. But the look on there face would be priceless if I could get there drag screaming. Dint care about species Pike , Laker's , Eye's what ever. Any help would be great , thank you. Good luck to everyone this long weekend and stay safe out there.

jts1
02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Everything I can find online says Badger Res. Guess I wil try north end around island. Fished south end and didnt do to well.

Scott N
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I've never fished it myself, but I hear that Crawling Valley Res. has some big fish in it. Keho Lake is another one that had produced some huge pike over the years as well.

My own favourite "reel screamers" have come from the Bow River downstream of Calgary. There are some really good sized rainbows and brown trout in it. You can also catch bull trout up to about 10 pounds in Lower Kananaskis Lake.

jts1
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Yes there are I am always in K Country fly fishn Got every lake stream and pond cased out there. I love Chester lake its a hike to get up in there but the Cuts are good and you cant ask for a more wonderful view.

brianscott
02-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I hiked into Chester this fall and there were no fishing signs posted,Does a guy need a park liscence to fish that lake?
Saw lots of brookies and rainbows in the shallows but nothing of any size

jts1
02-10-2009, 02:41 PM
No just your alberta fishing permit. Chester closes early in the year and you are right about the size there aint nutn there thats huge by any standards. But I get 30 or so in a day so it makes up for it. Ther are still Dollies in there but just look like lil snakes.

tbosch
02-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Go to Mission BC and hire STS guide services to take y'all out for sturgeon. If that dont make their faces light up i dont know what will. And its on ly a ten hour drive from calgary.

jts1
02-10-2009, 02:46 PM
If you are loking for some big rainbows on the fly. The Nakoda Lodge has a great fishery. They charge you to fish by the day and its C&R but there are some big fish in there and its close. I like it cause it aint got 300 guys a week hitn it. 9 times out of 10 I am the only guy on it.

calgarygringo
02-10-2009, 02:52 PM
My favorite for big fish and lots of them is chin Coulee. Just south of Taber on hiway 36. Used to go there more regular but now I am getting lazier and only go a couple times a year due to the 3.5 hour drive. Best fishing place I know other than going way up north. We have had days we have caught a dozen pike 15-25 lbs and seen bigger. Walleyes by the hundreds and it is not unusual to latch into an 8-10 lb er. I have not ice fished but summer fishing without a doubt a fishermans lake. Not much fishing traffic either so pressure is pretty low.

jts1
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Hey now that sounds like a place I wana go. If you are ever looking to go back I will drive man Just let a guy know.

calgarygringo
02-10-2009, 03:25 PM
We always go back when we get the itch for big fishin. With fuel going up, and getting tired of the longer drive we don't go as often when I was younger. We have some pretty amazing fish stories to tell over some pops from there over the years.

jts1
02-10-2009, 03:29 PM
I do love a cold "pop".

Scott N
02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
If you are loking for some big rainbows on the fly. The Nakoda Lodge has a great fishery. They charge you to fish by the day and its C&R but there are some big fish in there and its close. I like it cause it aint got 300 guys a week hitn it. 9 times out of 10 I am the only guy on it.

When was the last time you fished Chief Hector? I haven't been out there for a number of years, and I've heard that the aerator broke and was never replaced.

jts1
02-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I pulled out my fair share of big trout out of Nakoda Lodge this past summer. I was shocked to find that it is not fished more with the easy access from Calgary. Its got lots of cover from the weather so wind ain't a prob. Its a Lil gem of a spot. guess I should keep my mouth shut or it wont stay that way for long :)

Scott N
02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
I pulled out my fair share of big trout out of Nakoda Lodge this past summer. I was shocked to find that it is not fished more with the easy access from Calgary. Its got lots of cover from the weather so wind ain't a prob. Its a Lil gem of a spot. guess I should keep my mouth shut or it wont stay that way for long :)

I've had some really good experiences fishing out there too, but I stopped going about 5 years or so ago. I've heard some stories of natives not being too welcoming to people who pay to fish it, and also that there are frequent problems with the aerator. I know that the lake has winter killed at least once or twice. You're right about it being a 'lil gem close to a city of a million people, but I don't hear people talking about it as much as a few years ago. I've also discovered that there are lakes in Kananaskis that have the same quality of fish, but you don't have to pay to fish them, other than your license. Thanks for the update on the aerator, I may have to try Chief Hector again sometime.

jts1
02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I have never had someone act ill toward me for fishing out there as of yet , but I have only been out there for to seasons now. And if they did... Well I can always use some more bait , no body no crime ......I don't typically agree with some of there views or hunting and fishing practices

Albertabowhunter
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
IF I was in Calgary, Id be hitting Kananaskis lakes or Spray.... big fish in there..... never been there in the winter though

jts1
02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
The Upper and lower lakes are great fisheries as well as Spray. But there is a heck of a lot of water there a lil much for a guy on a pontoon boat and a fly rod to cover it all. The weather there is not always perfect to say the least. Where as a place like Nakoda is sheltered from the elements , has little to no fishing pressure compared to more popular lakes. I find that the trout are like our wives once they have seen and heard it a few times It just dont work anymore. Just to bad we cant throw back the wives for someone els to catch.