PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy auger trouble shooting

Dewey Cox
12-24-2015, 01:57 PM
How about another "why won't my jiffy run?" Thread? :)
New to me auger, took it out this morning for the first time. Fresh premium gas in tank.
After I prime it (especially when it sits sideways with the afield line slightly up) it fires like clock work for about five seconds or so, and dies.
It's like it has a little fuel in the carb and starts, but the fuel won't keep feeding.
When I prime it, there is all kinds of air moving back and forth in the fuel line.
The air doesn't work it's self out of the line one way or the other.
I'm thinking I might have a leak in the fuel line that's letting air in? That's where I'm going to start.
What do the pro's think?
Thanks, and merry Christmas!
And good luck on the ice.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/24/c08fd2c9cce7c1cfba5167cbcace74da.jpg

d bowhunter
12-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Im not sure if yours has a fuel filter in the tank if so u might want to change it, check cap for leakes, change plug. Mine has been getting a vapor lock for some reason take off cap put back on and it runs good for awhile then it chokes.

caver77
12-24-2015, 03:24 PM
If you're gonna replace a line clean the carb too. Start with the line into the tank, Many time they will degrade just pats the grommet and get fuel when the tanks full and then lean out, don't let that happen :). After that there should be a line to and from primer. There may or may not be a pulse line like a chainsaw, generally if one line is at all rotten I'll replace them all. If is has sit a good while, a good carb clean never hurts, pay special attention to the main jet as it is usually the one that gets gunked up first, there may be crud above the needle that is impairing fuel flow, you may have a worn diaphragm but thats pretty unusual as long as they aren't too stiff they usually work and if they have a hole in them they'll leak out the bleed hole on the cover and be easy to see. Good luck and hope some portion of that may help.

lannie
12-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Make sure the tank vent is open. The lines you referred to that could be sucking air is a great place to start. Check between the carb and engine for air leaks also.

Settle&release
12-24-2015, 06:00 PM
The problem is the motor. Definitely the motor[emoji851]

Settle&release
12-24-2015, 06:32 PM
My dad actually replaced the fuel line and the hose crimps on his and his now works great. The carb has a little plastic do hickey in it that you can replace which actually broke in my dads as well (due to freezing and thawing). I dunno if that will help but hopefully it does. Good luck.

perch seeker
12-24-2015, 07:18 PM
I have the exact same auger, bought it brand new , I have what sounds like the same problems, I find it just needs to
Warm up for quite awhile, it's frustrating when u could hand drill a hole before your gas auger is warmed up and running smooth. I find if I'm in a rush to drill I just keep a finger ready for the primer, give her a shot when it starts to sputter , I have never chased the problem, maybe some day when I'm near dead and have a few spare mins it will be a good thing to troubleshoot, lol , if you find the problem
Hopefully u will post for the rest of us

yoteblaster
12-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Had the same problem with my 23 year old Eskimo last week. Took home and put in heated shop overnight. Fired right up next morning. Most likely some ice in the fuel line somewhere. Never happened before but I have been leaving the auger in my shack this year. Probably getting some condensation from bringing cold auger into warm shack at the end of the day

Dean2
12-25-2015, 02:57 PM
You have an air leak in your fuel system somewhere. Once pressured it should not get air in the system. Replace the lines and check that your connections are tight.

Dewey Cox
12-31-2015, 06:50 PM
I took apart the carb and cleaned it out, and replaced the fuel line. Now it runs on my workbench.
Now to find some time to try it out on some ice...
Thanks for the good tips everyone.
Happy new year.