PDA

View Full Version : Jaw Jacker question?

trigger7mm
12-24-2015, 10:21 PM
Anyone who has used a JawJacker, how do they stand up when a big fish like a pike grabs your bait and makes a quick run? Do they want to tend to tip over, giving you a chance to loose your rod? I know that it would be best to have your drag set a bit loose,but what have you experienced? Merry Christmas everyone.

Brandonkop
12-25-2015, 12:42 AM
Anyone who has used a JawJacker, how do they stand up when a big fish like a pike grabs your bait and makes a quick run? Do they want to tend to tip over, giving you a chance to loose your rod? I know that it would be best to have your drag set a bit loose,but what have you experienced? Merry Christmas everyone.

Here Just watch this Fort Peck Video fishing with Jaw Jackers for Walleye and Pike. The design is to prevent it from going over forwards if you push the pegs all the way out to the front and drop the ice spikes it should be find. I haven't had one tip over yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVxqrvvRDBI

RAMPAGE
12-25-2015, 01:06 AM
Will pull line and probably break the rod before it would tip

trigger7mm
12-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Have a great Christmas, and a very happy New Year.

Mitchthefisher
12-25-2015, 10:49 AM
If you are using it for pike leave like 20 feet of line for them to run with before they swim off and set the jaw jacker off, if you dont it will miss alot hooksets especially with bigger baits like herring.

Double-Eh
12-25-2015, 10:59 AM
If you are using it for pike leave like 20 feet of line for them to run with before they swim off and set the jaw jacker off, if you dont it will miss alot hooksets especially with bigger baits like herring.

I don't quite follow what you mean by this? Like as in you leave your herring on the bottom along with 20 feet of line?

Mitchthefisher
12-25-2015, 11:01 AM
I don't quite follow what you mean by this? Like as in you leave your herring on the bottom along with 20 feet of line?

Yes sorry, i leave like 20 feet of extra line after the herring has hit the bottom that way the fish can pick it up and get the bait in its mouth a bit more before the jaw jacker sets the hook.

Double-Eh
12-25-2015, 11:06 AM
Now I just feel silly with my questions.... But is that a big pike thing? Or do walleye go for that type of thing? How do you set your hooks up? Similar to a minnow/jig/stinger? No issues with tangling line?

Mitchthefisher
12-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Now I just feel silly with my questions.... But is that a big pike thing? Or do walleye go for that type of thing? How do you set your hooks up? Similar to a minnow/jig/stinger? No issues with tangling line?

No issue with tangling line, i use 50lb braid to a steel leader and predator rig with a full herring with one hook at front of fish and one near the tail, I use this setup for pike and burbot. Only catch the odd walleye with this setup.

EZM
12-25-2015, 12:15 PM
I've never had a jaw jacker tip over - I don't know if it's possible to be honest .... considering the rod tip position over the front legs - which have ice spike to prevent the unit from sliding around.

It's also too big to fall down even a 10" hole with the legs opened up and locked into position - so there's no real worries there.

I tend to use smaller bait on the jaw jacker so that when the fish strikes or grabs the bait the jacker explodes driving the hook into the lip of the fish. If a bait is too big, like a full size herring, the fish is likely to grab the herring away from the hook OR the herring itself prevents a deep hook set.

Using large bait does require the fish to take, swim away, reposition and begin swallow the bait before an effective hook up. I only use larger bait on open spool tip ups for this reason.

So for the jacker - it's usually regular sized minnows. I do, however, leave the line sagging to allow 10"-12" of line to be taken before she goes off.

The drag is set moderate to tight.

I find you will hook far more compared to missing fish. I went 7/8 on my last trip with the jacker - 8 takes and 7 fish hooked and eventually landed. It works amazing.

ROA
12-25-2015, 01:11 PM
I found I needed to add a stinger to my jig heads Front lip of the minnow through the main hook and the stinger as far back as possible. Got much better hook up ratios. Also found with this set up I needed to have a little bit of tension on the trigger so it would not trip the instant minnow was inhaled and then yanked out before the fish closed its mouth.

Double-Eh
12-25-2015, 01:33 PM
I've always done a suspended minnow, 3-6 inches from bottom with a jig through the mouth, hook out the back of the head. Fairly tight trigger. I've included a stinger of late as well.
Without a stinger it was catching quite well. With a stinger it's a better rate for sure, though I have had a few times that I see the loose stinger hook near the eye when the jig hooks.

I do appreciate the insight everyone. I'm glad op had his question addressed so it's not exactly a hijacking of a thread so much as a re-tooling