PDA

View Full Version : Water clarity at sylvan and gull? Pics would help

pikekid
12-26-2015, 07:07 PM
So im heading to sylvan for the first time tomorrow and i dont know whats the thickness and water clarity. Pics Welcomed :)

Girlsfishtoo
12-26-2015, 07:23 PM
sylvan is crystal clear where i was anyhow and as off gull on the south west side was pretty murky good luck

pikekid
12-26-2015, 07:38 PM
was the whitefish action steady and pike showing up?

Zip-in-Z
12-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Don't put your hand or arm down the hole to check the ice thickness, the Sylvan Gator could chop it off ....

Z-z

See ....

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/Boomko1/P1040057_zpsqitngyrx.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/Boomko1/P1040046_zpsflxhfkrl.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/Boomko1/P1040048_zpsbruezzyy.jpg

pikekid
12-26-2015, 08:25 PM
lol too bad i dont have a camera for the gator. How thick was the ice zip?

yoteblaster
12-26-2015, 08:26 PM
Water is clear where I am at Gull. Saw one white and a lot of perch. Not targeting whites yet as I am fishing with my 10 year old son. He really loves catching perch. Oh and caught one burbot and saw one HUGE pike. Ice 10 inches thick

Zip-in-Z
12-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Last time out 10", but that was a few days ago .... all I see is vehicles driving out on Norglenwold and the town has opened the skating/hockey rinks and are allowing people to park their vehicles on the ice ... so it must be ok.

As for water clarity ... you can see a small flutter spoon like a Wetaskiwin flash around in 18-20 FOW in Sylvan and the same spoon about 6-7 FOW in Gull/Brownlows. If you've been following my W/W thread, the broken up egg shell trick sure helps.

pikekid
12-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Dang, i think id rather go to sylvan than gull lol

EZM
12-26-2015, 08:45 PM
The water that's shallower near weeds at Gull seems to be much clearer compared to deeper water ...... we moved out in the afternoon and found the water to be much different only a hundred or so yards away ....... thought it was strange - can't say I ever recalled seeing that before.

11"-12" of ice on the south end Aspen/Brownlows.

pikekid
12-26-2015, 08:49 PM
any action at brownlows??? Never seen a single fish the first i went out

EZM
12-26-2015, 09:04 PM
any action at brownlows??? Never seen a single fish the first i went out

We landed quite a few perch ( a half dozen in the 8"-11" range) and a real nice walleye (a little more than 4lbs I'd say) and a great eater sized pike (75-78 cm).

Saw some whites, but they had no interest in our presentations. They were cruising about 5 ft under the ice just barely to be seen on camera.

We got out after it was already light and took some time to find the right structure/weeds before dropping a line and left about 2:00PM ..... so I'd say average day out there.

We also moved once ( a hundred yards into deeper water as the afternoon sun came up).

We were in the big blue clam 1660 tent with the tracked side by side ATV .... down towards the corner. The only other group near us was the portable one man tents (black ones) - about 6 of them there beside us.

pikekid
12-26-2015, 09:06 PM
were the whites active or just suspended? Didn't see anything in brownlows area so i moved up north by birch and only caught one perch so

EZM
12-27-2015, 11:22 AM
were the whites active or just suspended? Didn't see anything in brownlows area so i moved up north by birch and only caught one perch so

I am not a whitefish expert - these fish are smarter than me ..... but based on my experience - they were cruising along or just under the ice so i'm thinking they were actively looking for something to eat. Maybe waterbugs or minnows.

It seems to me - that most of us - myself included - position the camera down near the bottom and target other species. More often than not, you see a whitefish in the distance or at the very top of the screen. I'm sure many cruise past higher than the camera and you have no idea they are there.

They were definitely around.

SNAPFisher
12-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Water is clear where I am at Gull. Saw one white and a lot of perch. Not targeting whites yet as I am fishing with my 10 year old son. He really loves catching perch. Oh and caught one burbot and saw one HUGE pike. Ice 10 inches thick

Can you tell me the area where it is clear? I'm heading there tomorrow and would like to fish clearer water rather than the usual stained stuff. Don't care about a spot just looking for clearer water. Thanks.