PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Trout VOLUNTARY catch & release ...

schtann
12-28-2015, 11:15 AM
:sign0176:

So what does everyone think of the 2 year pilot program and the VOLUNTARY catch and release policy ?

I've got an opinion that the ones that are KEPT won't be around to see the end of ~2015 never mind 2017 from the amount of people hitting those same lakes now !!! Personal experience from what I saw yesterday at one of those STOCKED lakes !! Here's one little guy I put back and wish I could say the same for the rest that were not ! A few much larger ones were caught by others and seen too, and quite a few of those ones were not released !!

Anyone out there from ACA or Provincial Government who can enlighten me on that "policy" and why it was written up like that ?? Tigers in Manitoba and other jurisdictions apparently get quite incredibly large and need to look at this regulation too I guess if we are EVER to see them get big in Alberta ??

Too bad all these fish will be GONE soon in Alberta at the current catch and keep rate I guess?

schtann
12-28-2015, 11:24 AM
http://afgmag.com/tiger-trout-update-july-3-2015/

I see no other CURRENT updates but maybe someone has more ?

fishunter77
12-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Was out last week at Black nugget. I have never seen that many people on it. Lots of people keeping the tigers. Won't have many left come spring.

deerguy
12-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Very sad that people don't have the wherewithal to release the fish. Such a waste of money.

schtann
12-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Yes guys and/or gals I tend to agree !!! Catch and keep 'em all there will be NONE left for others to enjoy into the future !!!

Too bad for somewhat poor "initial" management decisions in the ALBERTA fisheries branch again! I'm pretty sure that FACT will be brought up formally with some further interaction with the "2 year" pilot program "TEAM" on many fronts !!

RavYak
12-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Yep, its pathetic.

I wrote the government on the subject a couple months ago and never got any response or anything...

They obviously don't care and it won't be long till these fish are gone and who knows if they will ever stock anymore... Hard to judge a new fish species when you don't even give it a chance...

JohninAB
12-28-2015, 01:32 PM
Yeah I am sure it was all those government fisheries guys keeping them.

DiabeticKripple
12-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Yep, its pathetic.

I wrote the government on the subject a couple months ago and never got any response or anything...

They obviously don't care and it won't be long till these fish are gone and who knows if they will ever stock anymore... Hard to judge a new fish species when you don't even give it a chance...

It's not that they don't care, it's that they legally cannot put a limit on them

schtann
12-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Manitoba regs 2015 has this for 1 lake containing Tiger in addition to other trout:

* Twin Lakes - no natural bait and all trout must be released.

Some kind of TROPHY fishery they must be maintaining !?

schtann
12-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Yeah I am sure it was all those government fisheries guys keeping them.

NOPE= these were NOT government guys for sure. Local yokels and quite a few I may add !

schtann
12-28-2015, 02:34 PM
It's not that they don't care, it's that they legally cannot put a limit on them

Legal ? They seem to do it on other fish stocks though. And see what Manitoba does = SMART !! Throw in a bit of ENFORCEMENT and then no issue as well !
Where there is a will ........ there is a way. Time to start LOBBYING thru your
favorite CONSERVATION organization and make it happen !!! They really do listen and that is the amazing part about it !!

JohninAB
12-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Legal ? They seem to do it on other fish stocks though. And see what Manitoba does = SMART !! Throw in a bit of ENFORCEMENT and then no issue as well !
favorite CONSERVATION organization and make it happen !!! They really do listen and that is the amazing part about it !!

They cannot just say zero limit on these stocked tiger trout. Much more onerous of a process than that.

They had hoped Albertans would heed their request of please release all tiger trout but that fell on deaf ears.

beaver hunter
12-28-2015, 03:21 PM
They cannot just say zero limit on these stocked tiger trout. Much more onerous of a process than that.

They had hoped Albertans would heed their request of please release all tiger trout but that fell on deaf ears.

"Hoped".....Assuming people will do the right thing is just plain stupid, there seems to be guys just stocking their freezers.

Common sense isn't common for people with no sense!

JohninAB
12-28-2015, 03:31 PM
"Hoped".....Assuming people will do the right thing is just plain stupid, there seems to be guys just stocking their freezers.

Common sense isn't common for people with no sense!

They never assumed, they asked people to do the right thing, but as is typical for some Albertans, they think of themselves and themselves only.

Lots of examples out there and unfortunately, more showing up everyday.

tallieho
12-28-2015, 03:39 PM
http://afgmag.com/tiger-trout-update-july-3-2015/

I see no other CURRENT updates but maybe someone has more ?

One thing missing.Is the recent discovery of law dateing back to 1923.About creating open water in winter[lake aeration].etc..I agree that it really is a waste,to havenot implemented .Reg's similar to QSF lakes.I am not defending the gov't on this.But perhaps they needed,data to support,QSF type reg's.The only way fish will get to larger sizes is .If there is a willingness ,with the fishermen out there.To limit there catch,allow for C&R .

Bobby B.
12-28-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm 58 yrs old and I can tell you of earlier times when some people would brag about all the fish they caught and kept. Guys would talk of catching a hundred or more trout in a weekend and keeping every single last one of them. Later, these same individuals would complain of how there are no fish left in the trout streams and rivers. Guys would fill pail after pail with 12" plus perch. Now some jokers keep 8" perch and not only in lakes with 'stunted perch".

Today's thoughtless greedy bastards are no different than the thoughtless greedy bastards of 35-40 years ago. There will always be thoughtless, greedy bastards.

Yesterday, I fished "Troutville" with a buddy. There were at least 7 vehicles parked on the ice not counting snow machines and quads. The sign at the parking lot clearly states "Foot Access Only". Obviously, there's a lot of *******s out there who don't give a **** and never will.

If paying $50.00 for a fishing licence would guarantee effective enforcement, I'd gladly pay it. In fact, I'd pay double that if the second $50 went directly to increased fishing opportunities such as stocking tigers.

If we were allowed to stick the heads of *******s down their own holes, which ever hole seemed most appropriate, I'd happily initiate the strategy.

In the end, all we can do to achieve some degree of enforcement is to police ourselves.

Bobby

fishunter77
12-28-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm 58 yrs old and I can tell you of earlier times when some people would brag about all the fish they caught and kept. Guys would talk of catching a hundred or more trout in a weekend and keeping every single last one of them. Later, these same individuals would complain of how there are no fish left in the trout streams and rivers. Guys would fill pail after pail with 12" plus perch. Now some jokers keep 8" perch and not only in lakes with 'stunted perch".

Today's thoughtless greedy bastards are no different than the thoughtless greedy bastards of 35-40 years ago. There will always be thoughtless, greedy bastards.

Yesterday, I fished "Troutville" with a buddy. There were at least 7 vehicles parked on the ice not counting snow machines and quads. The sign at the parking lot clearly states "Foot Access Only". Obviously, there's a lot of *******s out there who don't give a **** and never will.

If paying $50.00 for a fishing licence would guarantee effective enforcement, I'd gladly pay it. In fact, I'd pay double that if the second $50 went directly to increased fishing opportunities such as stocking tigers.

If we were allowed to stick the heads of *******s down their own holes, which ever hole seemed most appropriate, I'd happily initiate the strategy.

In the end, all we can do to achieve some degree of enforcement is to police ourselves.

Bobby

Great quote Bobby,
I would not mind paying more for a fishing license to get more fish stocked and more enforcement.

More lakes should be aerated as well. Not to sure about the new law with aeration but this is getting crazy. I saw a few fellows fall in at Salters lake but when you are fishing 6 inches away from open water what do you expect?

tallieho
12-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Great quote Bobby,
I would not mind paying more for a fishing license to get more fish stocked and more enforcement.

More lakes should be aerated as well. Not to sure about the new law with aeration but this is getting crazy. I saw a few fellows fall in at Salters lake but when you are fishing 6 inches away from open water what do you expect?

ACA Pres. reported that 1 particular sob was saved .On 3 separate occasions.Because the sob fell in the aerated hole,with his l/chair..
We all paided to rescue the sob.But think of your first responders,that are obligated to get the pile of s t..:sign0176:

RavYak
12-28-2015, 06:44 PM
Lets get some definitions clear here.

Hope: What the government has to do when they fail to do their job properly in the first case...

DiabeticKripple
12-28-2015, 07:00 PM

They aren't considered a sport fish in Alberta, so they cannot impose regulations on them.

huntsfurfish
12-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Ya, they should have just stocked them in Lethbridge area and not told anyone.:)

They will get more for you guys. Dont cry.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

JohninAB
12-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Lets get some definitions clear here.

Hope: What the government has to do when they fail to do their job properly in the first case...

How did they do that?

kevinhits
12-28-2015, 07:49 PM
I am all for an increase in fishing licences to ensure more enforcement on our lakes, but if you think the extra fees are going to go into enviornmental protection, you are dead wrong. This will go into general revenue just like everything else does....

RavYak
12-28-2015, 08:19 PM
How did they do that?

They didn't get the laws in place to protect these fish... Considering they were probably raising these fish for 2-3 years they had lots of time to do so. I don't care what excuse they or anyone that doesn't know the situation gives, they are ultimately responsible for their actions and they screwed up big time in this situation.

They may or may not be able to change limits but for sure they can still close these lakes to angling as I asked them to do in my email to them but they obviously have not chosen to do so. Instead we get all of our tiger trout fished out wasting all the hard work that went into raising them...

deerguy
12-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Ya, they should have just stocked them in Lethbridge area and not told anyone.:)

They will get more for you guys. Dont cry.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Actually they won't. This is an extremely expensive process and once these Toger trout are gone we will not be getting more.

JohninAB
12-28-2015, 08:33 PM
They didn't get the laws in place to protect these fish... Considering they were probably raising these fish for 2-3 years they had lots of time to do so. I don't care what excuse they or anyone that doesn't know the situation gives, they are ultimately responsible for their actions and they screwed up big time in this situation.

They may or may not be able to change limits but for sure they can still close these lakes to angling as I asked them to do in my email to them but they obviously have not chosen to do so. Instead we get all of our tiger trout fished out wasting all the hard work that went into raising them...

How would they change the legislation?

huntsfurfish
12-28-2015, 10:32 PM
Actually they won't. This is an extremely expensive process and once these Tiger trout are gone we will not be getting more.

Wanna bet.;);):)

deerguy
12-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Wanna bet.;);):)

Yes. Based off of what ESRD themselves said. I don't blame them, spend all that many just some some senseless dolts can keep fish, what a disgrace.

huntsfurfish
12-28-2015, 10:40 PM
What ya wanna bet.:sHa_shakeshout::):)

EZM
12-28-2015, 11:42 PM

or .......... the fact that Manitoba has less than one half of Alberta's population and almost 200 TIMES the fishable water based on surface area.

I'm not a genius but to me i'm thinking the fact that Alberta's watersheds are pressured at a rate of about 400 times MAY have a little to do with it ....

I dunno .... just throwing out some wild guesses here

Kyle
12-29-2015, 08:23 AM
or .......... the fact that Manitoba has less than one half of Alberta's population and almost 200 TIMES the fishable water based on surface area.

I'm not a genius but to me i'm thinking the fact that Alberta's watersheds are pressured at a rate of about 400 times MAY have a little to do with it ....

Which is exactly why they need to be even more strict with catch rates in Alberta. If Manitoba has less pressure but better regs and regular stocking programs then Alberta it's no wonder fishing is better for the average guy. Also keep in mind, of their fishable water not many people are fishing up north. The lakes/rivers near their urban centres get fished the most (white shell lakes, parkland lakes, etc) which all have slot sizes and regular stocking in effect.

pipco
12-29-2015, 08:51 AM

We're getting off topic here a bit but..........

Having fished a number of lakes in the Parklands and talking to people that live, work and fish there, in my view it has much more to do with management than fishing pressure. Many of the Parkland lakes see pressure from all over the place with folks coming up from the States to fish for trophy trout.

If the SRD were interested in QF they could implement the process in a number of lakes in Alberta. It will only change if people let it be known this is what they want.