PDA

View Full Version : Lac la biche

jaylow?
12-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Anyone been on la biche lately ? How has the fishing been ? We've been fishing plamondon bay , hard go. 2nd winter in a row that none of us have seen a perch. The walleye that were in plenty last year seen to have taken a huge drop and pike are hit and miss. Hoping it's not like this all over the lake

Astrocyte
12-28-2015, 06:31 PM
That bay has been too weedy to do anything. I have not fished the winter on la biche but in the summer had good success going around that point on the East edge of the plamondon bay. We went around that point and just hugged a weed line fairly close to shore in about 10 fow. Caught ~10 pounders pike there. Not sure if winter will provide the same success in that location but I am hoping to give it a shot one of these days.

Stonecutter
12-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Anyone been on la biche lately ? How has the fishing been ? We've been fishing plamondon bay , hard go. 2nd winter in a row that none of us have seen a perch. The walleye that were in plenty last year seen to have taken a huge drop and pike are hit and miss. Hoping it's not like this all over the lake

I've fished SWCPP twice this year. Dec 13 and 20. I was geared up with perch tackle and ended up pulling in walleye and pike, but no perch. I left off in the same spot in March catching perch like crazy there but nothing this year. I chatted with a biologist on the 20th who is doing a survey for walleye numbers. He indicated that perch seem to be scarce but walleye are making a comeback in LLB

Brandonkop
12-29-2015, 01:00 AM
I've fished SWCPP twice this year. Dec 13 and 20. I was geared up with perch tackle and ended up pulling in walleye and pike, but no perch. I left off in the same spot in March catching perch like crazy there but nothing this year. I chatted with a biologist on the 20th who is doing a survey for walleye numbers. He indicated that perch seem to be scarce but walleye are making a comeback in LLB

The walleye aren't making a come back, they have taken over lac la biche lake. They stocked Millions of walleye in there for several years, protected them with no retention and this is the result. A lake packed with walleye that only the Indians can net and they have cleaned the perch and baitfish out of the lake. Soon they will start to look sickly, big heads and skinny bodies. Wonder what they are going to do cause something will need to be done to manage the walleye population.

My family was out there fishing today and caught a bunch of walleye and pike. Locals said not as many fish are being caught there as previous years since about 20 nets have been going in a night and hundreds of walleye being pulled out.

Kim473
12-29-2015, 03:28 AM

The walleye aren't making a come back, they have taken over lac la biche lake. They stocked Millions of walleye in there for several years, protected them with no retention and this is the result. A lake packed with walleye that only the Indians can net and they have cleaned the perch and baitfish out of the lake. Soon they will start to look sickly, big heads and skinny bodies. Wonder what they are going to do cause something will need to be done to manage the walleye population.

My family was out there fishing today and caught a bunch of walleye and pike. Locals said not as many fish are being caught there as previous years since about 20 nets have been going in a night and hundreds of walleye being pulled out.

Check fish stocking reports. Probabaly over 100 million Walleye have been stocked in there in the past 10 years or so. They were stocking 10 mill or more every year for a while. So ya, I guess there making a come back. Too bad for the perch. The pike will suffer too as the feeder fish will disappear and the rest of the fish in the lake will starve.

creighton
12-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Yup no perch there anymore. Went up for our annual ice fishing trip this year. No perch, lots of walleye, and pike seem to be the same. I talked to several seasoned fishermen and they all said the same thing- no perch even sighted on any side of the lake. Also heard the same thing from a biologist down at the docks.