PDA

View Full Version : Crimson lake

Z7fulldraw
12-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Fished crimson lake today caught a bunch of little perch has anyone caught some with size yet this year?

Mitchthefisher
12-29-2015, 07:05 PM
All the big ones are fished out because of people posting its name online lol, used to be tons of 12-14s in there.

deerguy
12-29-2015, 07:16 PM
Crimson lake s dead is it not? The one by Rocky Mountain house

RavYak
12-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Went there earlier in the summer and had good luck catching 11-12 inchers. Went there early in the fall and caught one 9 incher...

And people wonder why some guys like myself are so secretive about lakes here in AB. Word gets out and these lakes are trash in no time. If you know a good lake, don't post its name online...

Z7fulldraw
12-29-2015, 08:36 PM
My bad sorry fellas!! Didn't realize trying to find some better sizes in an illegally introduced lake that was posted in the newspapers numerous times was top secret. I'll be sure to let the five kids I was fishing with today know of the new found hot tips I learned today! "Kids there are people out there that just want to be ignorant"

Brandonkop
12-29-2015, 08:50 PM
My bad sorry fellas!! Didn't realize trying to find some better sizes in an illegally introduced lake that was posted in the newspapers numerous times was top secret. I'll be sure to let the five kids I was fishing with today know of the new found hot tips I learned today! "Kids there are people out there that just want to be ignorant"

There are no big ones left in crimson. Fished out. Too much publicity. These guys aren't ignorant, it is the nature of fishing in alberta. There are greater than 350 anglers for every fish inhabited lake in alberta. Not counting seniors and kids. If one person fished that lake every day of the year and caught a limit that is more than 5000 fish. The angler days on that lake is probably more in the thousands.

At just 2000 angler days that's 30,000 perch and I assume there were even more than that since summer is 2 months long 60 days and anywhere from 10 to 20 boats out with only 2 people per boat there a day that's 2000 angler days in just 2 months. So you see how over a year 50 to 100,000 perch vanish .... where did the big perch go? Publicized perch lakes get hammered sadly cause we don't have good alternatives.

It's not ignorance it's conservation.

Z7fulldraw
12-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Let's try this again!! Was out fishing crimson lake today, which I learned to be an illegally introduced perch population via the newspaper and then a conversation with a fisheries officer, and was curious if anyone caught any with size this year as we only caught little ones. This kids just wanted to know if there were bigger ones being caught! I said I wasn't sure but I'll see tonight when we get home. Simple question! Wasn't looking math lessons or tongue and cheek responses for posting the name of this amazing secret lake that will most likely winter kill in the next few years as it did in the 50's. Just simple answer to simple question was all I needed. :scared0018:

Brandonkop
12-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Let's try this again!! Was out fishing crimson lake today, which I learned to be an illegally introduced perch population via the newspaper and then a conversation with a fisheries officer, and was curious if anyone caught any with size this year as we only caught little ones. This kids just wanted to know if there were bigger ones being caught! I said I wasn't sure but I'll see tonight when we get home. Simple question! Wasn't looking math lessons or tongue and cheek responses for posting the name of this amazing secret lake that will most likely winter kill in the next few years as it did in the 50's. Just simple answer to simple question was all I needed. :scared0018:

There were, you missed the boat though.

Mitchthefisher
12-29-2015, 09:47 PM
No big ones left lol

Mitchthefisher
12-29-2015, 09:48 PM
There are no big ones left in crimson. Fished out. Too much publicity. These guys aren't ignorant, it is the nature of fishing in alberta. There are greater than 350 anglers for every fish inhabited lake in alberta. Not counting seniors and kids. If one person fished that lake every day of the year and caught a limit that is more than 5000 fish. The angler days on that lake is probably more in the thousands.

At just 2000 angler days that's 30,000 perch and I assume there were even more than that since summer is 2 months long 60 days and anywhere from 10 to 20 boats out with only 2 people per boat there a day that's 2000 angler days in just 2 months. So you see how over a year 50 to 100,000 perch vanish .... where did the big perch go? Publicized perch lakes get hammered sadly cause we don't have good alternatives.

It's not ignorance it's conservation.

This

Z7fulldraw
12-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Forgotten was the loons, cormorants, herons and other fish eating birds in the Alberta lake slaughtering theory. Better stop this now! If the NDP gets a hold of that equation nobody will be fishing Alberta as we will starve out these cute little birds too! :scared0015:

chad66
12-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Fished crimson lake today caught a bunch of little perch has anyone caught some with size yet this year?

I haven't fished there myself, but I have some relatives that were there a few days ago. They caught lots of little ones .... And apparently the last six 10-12 inch perch in the lake...

Chad

Eagle Trapper
12-29-2015, 11:31 PM

NO

fishstix
12-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Welcome to AO. So many experts here. Fish handling pros. Fish population experts. Math teachers.
Thanks goodness you didn't post a picture....

fatboyz
12-30-2015, 07:09 PM
Caught 4 nine inchers in august. Nothing but little guys this winter. Haven't heard of anyone getting more than one real keeper (9"+) per trip this winter.

RavYak
12-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Was out fishing crimson lake today, which I learned to be an illegally introduced perch population via the newspaper and then a conversation with a fisheries officer

The real question is were the perch actually illegally introduced or were they somehow linked to when perch were stocked back in the 50's? There have been reports saying the perch didn't survive but it also seems a little strange that the perch would flourish so well now whereas they couldn't survive in past years. There is a deeper hole and perch are extremely hardy fish so I wonder if there wasn't always a small population that survived year to year and then just recently took off due to our recent mild winters.

PlayDoh
12-31-2015, 12:07 AM
The real question is were the perch actually illegally introduced or were they somehow linked to when perch were stocked back in the 50's? There have been reports saying the perch didn't survive but it also seems a little strange that the perch would flourish so well now whereas they couldn't survive in past years. There is a deeper hole and perch are extremely hardy fish so I wonder if there wasn't always a small population that survived year to year and then just recently took off due to our recent mild winters.

2013 was a pretty brutal winter if I recall. Re; Polar Vortex