PDA

View Full Version : Pcr

Remi3006
12-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Headed out or the first time tomorrow. How's the ice? Should I bring my snowmobile? Any big pike left in this lake? Headed out with the little ones so we will probably fish walleye... But I may wander off!

Thanks!

Poppa
12-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Headed out or the first time tomorrow. How's the ice? Should I bring my snowmobile? Any big pike left in this lake? Headed out with the little ones so we will probably fish walleye... But I may wander off!

Thanks!Been curious about hardwater at PCR, myself. We've had fun out there in the summer, fishing off the dock, but buddies have told me that it's a really crappy hardwater fishery, for whatever reason. I'm curious what others think of PCR in winter...

pinelakeperch
12-30-2015, 01:55 PM
I've also heard that it isn't a very strong hard water fishery, for whatever reason. I've seen big pike in there in the summer.

Scott N
12-30-2015, 02:04 PM
I've only fished there once because I have never caught a walleye, and I was told that it was a "sure thing". The only time I tried was ice fishing, and we didn't even see a single fish on the flasher, let alone catch a fish, or have a bite for that matter. It sounds like it fishes a lot better in the summer, although I've certainly read more than a few reports about successfull ice fishing there.

Flieguy
12-30-2015, 02:22 PM
I haven't been there recently (last 2 years) but the walleye fishing REALLY slows down in the winter. You can usually find some though.

only ever caught one pike thru the ice there, on a rattle rap. However I'm positive there are bruisers around because I get them in the summer.

burbot used to be plentiful after dark but the population plummeted when people caught on due to the overzealous 10 fish limit IMO.

There are better pike fisheries, and better children's fisheries.

kevinhits
12-30-2015, 02:28 PM
I was out on Monday just off the boat launch...approx. 25fow. Had many walleye come in and nothing I offered would entice them...:sign0176:

Nice sandy bottom...no Burbs either

Since hard water fishing the last 15 years, I find Mcgregor and PCR the hardest....Not just catching anything, but even observing fish on the camera..

Poppa
12-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Good posts...some good info here. Buddy and I were talking about PCR in winter, and his quote, I believe, was "Don't waste your time with PCR in winter...go to Badger instead..." So we might check that out sometime. I'm south of Red Deer, so it's a bit of a hike, but we're excited to explore the province this winter and find some new places to drill holes and drink some beer :)

kevinhits
12-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Good posts...some good info here. Buddy and I were talking about PCR in winter, and his quote, I believe, was "Don't waste your time with PCR in winter...go to Badger instead..." So we might check that out sometime. I'm south of Red Deer, so it's a bit of a hike, but we're excited to explore the province this winter and find some new places to drill holes and drink some beer :)

Pm me if you head to Badger and I will join Ya:)

DisplacedCaper
12-30-2015, 07:02 PM
I like ice fishing PCR. No where near as active in the winter as the summer. But I find if you go in the evening you will pull a few walleye up and maybe a burb. I may just like it because it's closer to me than most other lakes lol

Remi3006
12-30-2015, 08:14 PM
Just got home, ice was around 9" (good ice). Fishing was very slow with only 5 or 6 pike on cam and no bites... Not interested at all! We fished out front of the launch in about 20ft with some tip ups in tighter (15 ish FOW).

Thanks for the info fellas!

Fishslayer99
12-31-2015, 11:27 AM
I haven't been there recently (last 2 years) but the walleye fishing REALLY slows down in the winter. You can usually find some though.

only ever caught one pike thru the ice there, on a rattle rap. However I'm positive there are bruisers around because I get them in the summer.

burbot used to be plentiful after dark but the population plummeted when people caught on due to the overzealous 10 fish limit IMO.

There are better pike fisheries, and better children's fisheries.

Well Said...that about sums it up!

MeYammy
12-31-2015, 11:57 AM
PCR was okay up until about the last three seasons. I used to catch walleye and burbs every time. Now, nothing. I was there on the 27th and 29th and caught zip. Won't bother going back this winter.

SushiUnagi
12-31-2015, 10:58 PM
Yeah ice fishing at PCR is night and day compared to summer fishing. Many times returned empty handed but have caught the odd walleyes and a couple of burbots.

Jjolg123
01-04-2016, 11:03 PM
gave it 4.5 hours of my time today, got one walleye and had activity near the bottom on the flasher but not biting. Tried jigs with smelts and everything else i had with me but they were not having it. Fished 12 to 20 feet by the launch, so far not much luck for me this year, thinking of trying twin valley as PCR isn't doing much to keep me coming back lol

bubba 96
01-04-2016, 11:29 PM

If people think Pcr has been hit hard in last 15yrs, badgers been hit twice as hard..

Poppa
01-05-2016, 03:10 PM
If people think Pcr has been hit hard in last 15yrs, badgers been hit twice as hard..Interesting...do they still run the big 2-day derby every winter?

huntsfurfish
01-05-2016, 05:42 PM
Interesting...do they still run the big 2-day derby every winter?

Yes, but with some changes.

Jjolg123
01-06-2016, 09:01 AM
maybe its still early for me, i normally don't fish PCR until Feb but they don't seem to be biting. Im seeing lots of action on the flasher all over the lake but they don't seem to be taking to the jib tipped with a piece of smelt like they use to lol