PDA

View Full Version : Lorance elite 5 conversion for ice

tonypower
12-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Just looking for some advice. I have an elite 5 dsi in my boat. I seen that you can buy the bag and plug to convert to an ice fishing unit. Does anyone use this as a flasher and if so how do you like it?

PlayDoh
12-29-2015, 09:38 PM
I've been using my Humminbird 778cx HD with Ice fishing mode till last trip after I bought a HB Ice 35.
While my 778 has flasher view, plenty of power and all the specs you look for in a sonar, this Ice 35 is much better.
I'm not too savy on the tech but this flasher had a spinning motor, and the speed of the returns are way faster.
I considered the price of an Ice Transducer, even though I was using it with a transom ducer. Then another battery, since I had one I could and did use already, so it didn't cost me anything. But I'd need another, so around $100 for battery, $100 for ice ducer.
Just something to consider before you go that route.
You can always sell a ice flasher pretty easy, but having ice capability on a summer unit probably doesn't add much value.

ineptflux
12-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Just looking for some advice. I have an elite 5 dsi in my boat. I seen that you can buy the bag and plug to convert to an ice fishing unit. Does anyone use this as a flasher and if so how do you like it?
I just converted mine and love it, I don't use the flasher really, but the sonar is awesome. I like the amplitude scope for jigging.

Only thing is you need a certain power adaptor that doesn't come with the package, luckily I had one extra.

And as playdoh was mentioning above, there does seem to be a split second difference between readings and that of which comes from a flasher. I set my flx28 side-by-side with my elite 5 chirp and noticed it but it's really nothing at all to be concerned about.

Mudslide
12-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Tony, Do you have the DSI only version or the version that has the 83/200 kHz as well as the DSI?

tonypower
12-30-2015, 08:02 AM
Tony, Do you have the DSI only version or the version that has the 83/200 kHz as well as the DSI?

I think it has the 83/200 kHz. When you set it up it has 3 settings for what transducer your using. And to be honest I am not 100% sure I selected the right transducer when I set it up in the boat lol

tonypower
12-30-2015, 08:04 AM
I just converted mine and love it, I don't use the flasher really, but the sonar is awesome. I like the amplitude scope for jigging.

Only thing is you need a certain power adaptor that doesn't come with the package, luckily I had one extra.

And as playdoh was mentioning above, there does seem to be a split second difference between readings and that of which comes from a flasher. I set my flx28 side-by-side with my elite 5 chirp and noticed it but it's really nothing at all to be concerned about.

Where do I find one of these power cords? Thanks for the input

cory3006
12-30-2015, 08:12 AM
Where do I find one of these power cords? Thanks for the input

Try the Fishin Hole, I went the other way with mine, started as the Lowrance Ice setup and got a transducer for my 12'. The transducers aren't too expensive, but the bag is ridiculously priced, Rapala makes a bag for ice setups or use an ammo can. Do your research on the Lowrance website to ensure you get the proper transducer. I absolutely love mine and use both the flasher and graph, makes a world of difference, with the flasher I can see my 2oz jigs down at 60'+.

JohninAB
12-30-2015, 08:52 AM
I ordered the Lowrance PPP-18i in the hope of using my Mark 5x Pro fishfinder in it as advertised. Received it and it only came with the blue connections to hook up to a HDS fishfinder but the mounts for a Mark 5 and lower fishfinder. I have a HDS Gen 2 fishfinder but it is a 7 inch model so it does not fit in the bag plus I had to build a mount for it as my only mount is in my boat and it is staying there.

Second time I ordered something from Lowrance based on product descriptions only to find out the description provided was wrong.

tonypower
12-30-2015, 09:05 AM
I ordered the Lowrance PPP-18i in the hope of using my Mark 5x Pro fishfinder in it as advertised. Received it and it only came with the blue connections to hook up to a HDS fishfinder but the mounts for a Mark 5 and lower fishfinder. I have a HDS Gen 2 fishfinder but it is a 7 inch model so it does not fit in the bag plus I had to build a mount for it as my only mount is in my boat and it is staying there.

Second time I ordered something from Lowrance based on product descriptions only to find out the description provided was wrong.

Did the bag you bought come with the power cord and transducer? From what I can gather they do but just want to be sure before I dish out $235

trowland
12-30-2015, 09:13 AM

I have used an Elite 5 as both a boat application and an ice fishing application for three years now. For ice fishing I use the sonar instead or the flasher. I find it provides a much clearer picture of what is going on in the water. You will see the fish approaching the hook clearly as bright red or orange line depending on how fast it is traveling. You will need to buy the ice transducer, bag and battery. I think these may come as a kit. Minor adjustments must be made in the elite 5 settings menu for the ice fishing application.

JohninAB
12-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Did the bag you bought come with the power cord and transducer? From what I can gather they do but just want to be sure before I dish out $235

Yes came with the power cord and transducer with the blue connections not the black connections as advertised. Also came with the battery and charger.