PDA

View Full Version : Illegally stocked perch

theking
12-30-2015, 04:54 AM
Can anyone provide me with information as to why we cannot keep illegally stocked perch from a stocked trout pond?

58thecat
12-30-2015, 05:33 AM
Can anyone provide me with information as to why we cannot keep illegally stocked perch from a stocked trout pond?

Cross contamination will upset your stomach thus giving you the poops. The rules are in place to protect you against violent bowl movements.

In all honesty you should be able to catch the legal limit, they just gotta give a one year go at those ponds etc until one of the best eating fish are removed and out into our bellies.:)

Lefty-Canuck
12-30-2015, 06:06 AM
Simple, To help curb illegal sticking. If you can get a ticket for keeping the illegal fish then the idea is why stock them in the first place if you cannot keep them. Although it is clear it still occurs.

LC

58thecat
12-30-2015, 06:46 AM
Simple, To help curb illegal sticking. If you can get a ticket for keeping the illegal fish then the idea is why stock them in the first place if you cannot keep them. Although it is clear it still occurs.

LC

The people who put them in the pond either do not know the law or don't care, either way they are there and you now should be able to catch and keep them, grill em and eat em!:sHa_shakeshout:

Dean2
12-30-2015, 08:49 AM
While I agree the removing as many illegal fish as possible makes sense, SRD truly believes that not allowing the keep dissuades others from illegally stocking more lakes. Now a guy doing illegal stocking is going to catch and keep whatever he feels like, so in my mind that holds no validity at all, but we are dealing with Government Bureaucrats so what can I tell you.

It is one of those laws that more than a few people choose to ignore, and they aren't doing the illegal stocking.

huntsfurfish
12-30-2015, 09:39 AM

LC

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And people shouldnt be mad that you cant keep them, should be mad that they were put in there.

mickeyjim
12-30-2015, 10:50 AM
There is a stocked trout reservoir in Southern Alberta that has no limit on illegally stocked walleye.

MBL
12-30-2015, 11:44 AM
If you look in the regulation book under lake and stream listing for each watershed unit some of the stocked lakes have pike or perch limits listed. There seems to be lots listed in zone2

Lefty-Canuck
12-30-2015, 11:48 AM
I never said the law works or that many follow it...just explained the intent of the law :)

LC

MBL
12-30-2015, 12:11 PM
If it's illegal why does it have limits in the regulation book. Maybe you need to read the regulation book.

DonTreadOnMe
12-30-2015, 12:11 PM
There is a stocked trout reservoir in Southern Alberta that has no limit on illegally stocked walleye.

If it's a listed stocked trout pond than keeping anything other than trout is illegal, whether it be walleye or perch, unless it has a listed limit on the specific body of water.

Poppa
12-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Don't quote me but I believe there are signs at Phyllis (by Caroline) which encourage you to keep any perch caught, so as to rid the lake of them. They'd like to get it back to a pure stocked-trout pond, after someone illegally introduced perch.

Sundancefisher
12-30-2015, 01:44 PM
To stop illegal and destructive stocking of perch in Alberta you need to make the benefit zero. Then there is no value in doing it.

What I would like to see is some masters thesis done on controlling the perch in illegally stocked lakes.

Dean2
12-30-2015, 01:49 PM
To stop illegal and destructive stocking of perch in Alberta you need to make the benefit zero. Then there is no value in doing it.

What I would like to see is some masters thesis done on controlling the perch in illegally stocked lakes.

Reasonable and fair point that I actually kind of agree with. That said, since 90% of fishing in Alberta is already catch and release, and poaching is rampant and rarely caught even in zero limit locations, how do you propose to go about making the benefit zero?

DonTreadOnMe
12-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Don't quote me but I believe there are signs at Phyllis (by Caroline) which encourage you to keep any perch caught, so as to rid the lake of them. They'd like to get it back to a pure stocked-trout pond, after someone illegally introduced perch.

You are correct, but it is clearly listed in the regs that it is ok to keep 15 perch at phyliss. Not that 5" perch are worth cleaning & you can't legally just chuck them in the bush or use them as bait...

58thecat
12-30-2015, 02:37 PM

Now that is how it should be, eat them buggers....mmmm mmmm good:sHa_shakeshout:

DonTreadOnMe
12-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Now that is how it should be, eat them buggers....mmmm mmmm good:sHa_shakeshout:

This is straight from the regs. Why is it so hard to understand??so unless it specifically says you can keep a unlimited amount of walleye in the lake specific area this is abosolutely wrong.

"The harvest of game fish species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted."

lattery1
12-30-2015, 02:58 PM
I wish a few hundred pails full of perch would accidentally fall into Buffalo slough. Maybe then it would be worth fishing there.

Sundancefisher
12-31-2015, 09:23 AM
Reasonable and fair point that I actually kind of agree with. That said, since 90% of fishing in Alberta is already catch and release, and poaching is rampant and rarely caught even in zero limit locations, how do you propose to go about making the benefit zero?

Zero benefit is derived because people stocking them want to eat them. Once stunted at 4 inches the thrill of catch and release is gone.

Perch is not a normal catch and release species.

I would like the province and municipalities to live net perch out of illegal stock situations and dump in marginal water such as storm water and winter kill ponds. Then people have these to target year round as allowed.

Province should build a large purse seine and see if some measure of population control is possible.

From experience you need significant effort.

EZM
12-31-2015, 05:52 PM
If it's illegal why does it have limits in the regulation book. Maybe you need to read the regulation book.

The thread is entitled "illegally stocked perch" ..... I trust you understand the context of this discussion.

Sometimes the best advice you give to others makes sense to follow yourself.

There is, in fact, a zero retention limit on illegally introduced perch into trout stocked ponds.

This is, of course, outlined in the "regulation book" you have pointed out.

How ironic is it that you would be so quick to jump on someone else when you are 100% wrong.

Maybe you should give it (reading) another try.

:)

Dewey Cox
12-31-2015, 06:43 PM
I wish a few hundred pails full of perch would accidentally fall into Buffalo slough. Maybe then it would be worth fishing there.

They did stock perch in there in the 70's.
I caught a pike last January at white sands with a good sized perch in its belly. I posted about it, and I think one guy said he caught perch in that lake somewhere.
When you figure out where they hang out, would you let me know?
Happy new year everyone!

58thecat
01-01-2016, 08:53 AM
This is straight from the regs. Why is it so hard to understand??so unless it specifically says you can keep a unlimited amount of walleye in the lake specific area this is abosolutely wrong.

"The harvest of game fish species other than trout from stocked trout waters is not permitted."

What's hard to understand? Read regs, follow regs.

But and the dreaded but...if a pond has illegally stocked fish than we, you, us should be able to catch, keep and eat...:sHa_shakeshout:

trainerdave
01-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Stock a few ponds with perch that may be marginal for trout. If people are perch crazy they can go there. I think Sundance touched on that. I do think that perch in a trout lake would be somewhat difficult to capture with traditional methods without catching the trout. So make some perch lakes... Or put some in Twin Valley Res. (and some lake whites), Pine coulée and Clear lake. There are perch in the bow river system and all it joins up with; below Glenmore Res., as there are perch in Glenmore. They must also be in the Oldman system below the falls. Pike/Walleye,etc seem to hold perch in check so if Perch start getting out of line, put in some pike...

My 2c.