PDA

View Full Version : Old man Res.

hellitsme
12-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Has or does anyone fish the Old Man Res. Ive heard there is Burbs there but there is a bait ban. any Ideas??

Also Pine coulee is it ant good never been there but want to try.

Thanks
:fishing:

JustBen
12-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Has or does anyone fish the Old Man Res. Ive heard there is Burbs there but there is a bait ban. any Ideas??

Also Pine coulee is it ant good never been there but want to try.

Thanks
:fishing:

There are definitely burbs in old man, but I don't know how you can catch them without a smelt. Lots of the old timers don't really follow the bait ban from what I've been told. Never caught one personally.

Tom Pullings
12-30-2015, 12:17 PM
I'm no expert but I'm told if you thump jigs off the bottom burbs will come investigate and bite even if you're not using bait.

wmw9
12-30-2015, 12:28 PM
I've had good luck in the past bouncing a big shiny spoon off the bottom a few times then waiting. It was at a different lake, however we were having better luck with spoons than we were with bait.

kevinhits
12-30-2015, 02:25 PM
There is a video of a Burb caught using a five of diamonds on one of the Facebook fishing sites...Weird I tell ya...LOL

Bjay
12-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Use bucktail lead jigs. The same ones you use for bull trout. 1/2 --3/4 once. You won't hang up on the bottom either as the hook is up. When they say no bait is that all bait or only no fish bait? If only no fish bait then try a piece of shin beef on the buck tail jig. The blood soon leaches out and leaves a nice white piece of meat. The lake trout like it also.
Bjay

Tom Pullings
12-30-2015, 11:05 PM
No bait or scents of any kind.

Macbrown1
01-19-2016, 11:17 PM
not an ice fisherman, (fly fisherman) but wouldn't you guys rather catch bulls out of the oldman than burbot, not that you can eat bulls but for the sport side of it? just curious, don't see all the hype for pike, burbot or perch. pike or burbot can't taste good can they?:confused:

huntsfurfish
01-19-2016, 11:21 PM
not an ice fisherman, (fly fisherman) but wouldn't you guys rather catch bulls out of the oldman than burbot, not that you can eat bulls but for the sport side of it? just curious, don't see all the hype for pike, burbot or perch. pike or burbot can't taste good can they?:confused:

Much better tasting than trout.:)

hellitsme
01-19-2016, 11:47 PM
Any suggestions where to go on the old man for burbs I never fishe there.

Cowtown guy
01-19-2016, 11:47 PM

Burbot isn't called poor man's lobster for nothing. It produces a nice white thick ropelike fillet that is very tasty. Trout...meh. Kinda muddy IMO after eating cold water pike and burbot.