PDA

View Full Version : Gull lake fishing tips

Bluegrass
12-30-2015, 07:12 PM
Hello,
The past couple days have been real slow fishing at Gull Lake for me. Wilsons beach has been extremely slow, saw 2 pike all day couple perch. Then moved up to Meridian beach, 5 pike no bites, didn't seem interested. Btw I've seen no whitefish at all! This is highly frightening considering last year I caught a fair share. Then moved down to Sandy Point the next day, success! 1 perch.... Out far enough that I could not seen the bottom, 25f deep I'm guessing. Had the hook all the way at the bottom, could not see it, but lots of perch bites.
BTW I generally use a brass worm hook.

So if any of you have had any much in other areas of Gull or in the same general area I would like to some info!
Thanks!

Renegade J
12-30-2015, 09:38 PM
If it makes you feel any better Bluegrass, I fished gull for a half day on the season opener and a half day this morning only seeing a total of two pike and one perch so far this season. The staff at the fishin hole edm tell me that its been really slow so far at gull this year.

d bowhunter
12-31-2015, 07:38 AM
Was out last fri at wilsons beach got a late start took awhile to drill holes to figure out ice thickness, fished from 9-11 never seen a fish talked to afew people no one had any fish. Left there and went to brownlows fished from noon til about 430pm got 2 pike 2 walleyes 1 ling and some small perch, it is very slow ice was about 11-12 inches with about 4-5 inches of snow no water on top.

Kim473
12-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Try some differant color worms. 1 day could be brass and another yellow or red. You never know. Also try at differant depths of the water colum. I have seen them on the bottom and sometimes 6" below the ice. You never know.

marty1
12-31-2015, 12:07 PM
I headed out the second weekend of opening, was their set and looking down my hole just before light and a monster white came in for a look but nothing. I managed to ice one white probably seen 7 others.Im new at the white fish game through the ice but can now definitely see why guys like it, we were sitting in 6' and from 10:00-1:00 not a single fish spotted,im guessing it's an early morning game. I'LL BE BACK

marty1
12-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Ah forgot the tip of the day. Vertical presentation definitely got a longer look by the fish ,the fish I caught and the ones that came in for a taste test were on a small San Juan worm rapped in black and red wire tipped with a meal worm.

marty1
12-31-2015, 01:02 PM
Wrapped

EZM
12-31-2015, 05:36 PM
We were out there today. 14" of solid clear ice on the south end (Aspen/Brownlows).

The pike and perch were biting, albeit a little slower than usual. A few walleyes and burbs.

Been there 3 times this season - We've landed a 4 walleye, 3 burbs, 20+ perch (nothing over 12" but an average of 8" I'd say) and maybe 8-9 pike.

Saw whites - but they hate me. I swear one gave me the fin on a swim by. I'd a freaking thrown a grenade down the hole if I had one !!!! Little white bastards think they are better than me.

Anyhoooo

Gull has been like a light switch - steady action for an hour or two followed by a couple slow hours and the cycle repeats - it seems to me the fish are still moving around.

Hilgy
12-31-2015, 09:13 PM
We were out there today. 14" of solid clear ice on the south end (Aspen/Brownlows).

The pike and perch were biting, albeit a little slower than usual. A few walleyes and burbs.

Been there 3 times this season - We've landed a 4 walleye, 3 burbs, 20+ perch (nothing over 12" but an average of 8" I'd say) and maybe 8-9 pike.

Saw whites - but they hate me. I swear one gave me the fin on a swim by. I'd a freaking thrown a grenade down the hole if I had one !!!! Little white bastards think they are better than me.

Anyhoooo

Gull has been like a light switch - steady action for an hour or two followed by a couple slow hours and the cycle repeats - it seems to me the fish are still moving around.

I don't suppose you would help out a extremely frustrated fisherman with a little help in the pike/walleye department. I have been catching perch pretty steady but can not for the life of me catch either. I see them on the camera but can't seem to get either interested.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated

Bluegrass
01-01-2016, 01:46 AM
I caught a whitefish yesterday Dec 31!!! Woo hoo happy New Years! Going to sandy point today boys!

LutherDLG
01-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Let us know how it goes - planning to head to Gull tomorrow!

EZM
01-01-2016, 01:10 PM
I don't suppose you would help out a extremely frustrated fisherman with a little help in the pike/walleye department. I have been catching perch pretty steady but can not for the life of me catch either. I see them on the camera but can't seem to get either interested.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated

I'm not an expert - but I don't mind sharing what works for me .....

Using a camera is (was) the key for me to landing way more fish ....

I use 2 rods/2 holes (side by side) inside the tent and switch which one I'm working depending on the behavior/mood of the fish.

Predatory fish (Walleye and Pike) are attracted to noise ..... so when there is nothing in sight, and there is a lull in the action, I use a large rattlin rap and pound the bottom of the lake and jerk that thing like crazy. I do this for 20-30 seconds then I just wait and see if anything is coming in for a look - after the violent action I just gently pulse the rattlin rap and wait a minute of two then repeat.

My other line is typically rigged up with a small rap, rattlin' flyer, or jig head - something any species will take and eat including bigger perch.

That usually brings them in for a closer look.

Walleye love when a lure falls - it triggers action - not always a strike - but they will react to it almost always as an instinct. Slow up and quick flutter drop if they start moving away.

If they are still spooking - downsize !!!

Here's the key to getting them to strike - if they have seen the lure and still don't seem interested - I let my smaller lure drop and gently bounce along the bottom stirring up silt or mud. The further away the fish is the more violently I pound the silt - as they get closer I slow and soften the presentation to avoid spooking them.

They eventually seem to grab the bouncing jig/rap off the bottom but WAIT until you feel the take - a pike USUALLY misses the first time. They seem to have poor close range depth perception when looking down.

Just keep bouncing it and he will take another stab at it right away - if he sees the lure getting jerked up to fast it will spook him.

http://www.rapala.com/rapala/lures/all-other-lures/rattlin-rapalaandreg/Rattlin+Rapala.html

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/lindy-rattl-n-flyer-spoon

Hilgy
01-01-2016, 07:09 PM
I'm not an expert - but I don't mind sharing what works for me .....

Using a camera is (was) the key for me to landing way more fish ....

I use 2 rods/2 holes (side by side) inside the tent and switch which one I'm working depending on the behavior/mood of the fish.

Predatory fish (Walleye and Pike) are attracted to noise ..... so when there is nothing in sight, and there is a lull in the action, I use a large rattlin rap and pound the bottom of the lake and jerk that thing like crazy. I do this for 20-30 seconds then I just wait and see if anything is coming in for a look - after the violent action I just gently pulse the rattlin rap and wait a minute of two then repeat.

My other line is typically rigged up with a small rap, rattlin' flyer, or jig head - something any species will take and eat including bigger perch.

That usually brings them in for a closer look.

Walleye love when a lure falls - it triggers action - not always a strike - but they will react to it almost always as an instinct. Slow up and quick flutter drop if they start moving away.

If they are still spooking - downsize !!!

Here's the key to getting them to strike - if they have seen the lure and still don't seem interested - I let my smaller lure drop and gently bounce along the bottom stirring up silt or mud. The further away the fish is the more violently I pound the silt - as they get closer I slow and soften the presentation to avoid spooking them.

They eventually seem to grab the bouncing jig/rap off the bottom but WAIT until you feel the take - a pike USUALLY misses the first time. They seem to have poor close range depth perception when looking down.

Just keep bouncing it and he will take another stab at it right away - if he sees the lure getting jerked up to fast it will spook him.

http://www.rapala.com/rapala/lures/all-other-lures/rattlin-rapalaandreg/Rattlin+Rapala.html

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/lindy-rattl-n-flyer-spoon

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I'll pick up a couple of the raps and give them a try.

EZM
01-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I'll pick up a couple of the raps and give them a try.

Buy the smallest one they make. The best colors are the silver and the firetiger it seems.

Perch will also attack the raps when they are in a positive mood.

LutherDLG
01-03-2016, 10:10 AM
Was anyone out yesterday? Spent 5 hours at Brownlow's and got completely skunked. Had one hit on the tip up and one on the rod all day. Talked to 3 other groups who didn't see a fish on their cameras for hours. Slow day for sure.

Mangosteen
01-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Was anyone out yesterday? Spent 5 hours at Brownlow's and got completely skunked. Had one hit on the tip up and one on the rod all day. Talked to 3 other groups who didn't see a fish on their cameras for hours. Slow day for sure.

Well I found this 2009 report stating the whitefish were under an overfished state back in 2009.

Just wondering why the biologists who are being payed by the tax dollars are not updating this study.

Are they being reactive instead of proactive.
I sure hope we do not have a COLLAPSED fishery for Whitefish due to poor management practices.

Let's get those biologists out on the lake asap and reassess and reset the limits.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/assets/File/Publications/reportSeries/2009/fisheries/Winter%20Sports%20Fishery%20at%20Gull%20Lake,%20%2 0Alberta,%20%202009.pdf

Dom4
01-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Why is it always bring in the biologists and shut the lake down?? There are still whitefish in the lake

EZM
01-03-2016, 02:20 PM
I have been out there 3 times this season - lots of whites on the camera - in fact I saw way more whites than pike and walleye combined.

Pikebreath
01-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Well I found this 2009 report stating the whitefish were under an overfished state back in 2009.

Just wondering why the biologists who are being payed by the tax dollars are not updating this study.

Are they being reactive instead of proactive.
I sure hope we do not have a COLLAPSED fishery for Whitefish due to poor management practices.

Let's get those biologists out on the lake asap and reassess and reset the limits.

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/assets/File/Publications/reportSeries/2009/fisheries/Winter%20Sports%20Fishery%20at%20Gull%20Lake,%20%2 0Alberta,%20%202009.pdf

That is a interesting (and depressing) read. Should be required reading for all sport fishing anglers who seem to be unable to understand the cumulative impact that thousands of sport anglers can have on a fishery.

Thanks for the link.

Mudder Man
01-04-2016, 06:31 AM
Too funny as most people don't know as why we call it fishing and not catching. This Lake has its ups and down with the Bite just like any other Lake. I have been keeping track for years of my catches and the dates and times. This is not an uncommon thing for Gull at all! Anyways I don't know why all of you are not seeing and catching fish as my couple of Buds and I have been doing just fine over this time that most of you are not getting fish. You kneed to know the Lake and the pattern as well as what they are willing to take at certain times of the year.

Do your footwork so to speak and you will all be able to put fish on the table. It always isn't just as easy as driving to the famous Brownlows and just filling you Bucket with fish

enough said

Mudder

Mangosteen
01-04-2016, 07:05 AM
With this in mind are you suggesting the spawn is still on and the fish are all at Wilsons?

Mangosteen
01-04-2016, 07:59 AM
Well if the spawn does last into January this map should help. Shows the spawning areas for Whitefish in Gull Lake. Spawning at night.

The only other thing is maybe we all need to go deep from 8 to 20 feet. Water Clarity?

Hope this helps those of us who are not getting much sightings.

LutherDLG
01-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Too funny as most people don't know as why we call it fishing and not catching. This Lake has its ups and down with the Bite just like any other Lake. I have been keeping track for years of my catches and the dates and times. This is not an uncommon thing for Gull at all! Anyways I don't know why all of you are not seeing and catching fish as my couple of Buds and I have been doing just fine over this time that most of you are not getting fish. You kneed to know the Lake and the pattern as well as what they are willing to take at certain times of the year.

Do your footwork so to speak and you will all be able to put fish on the table. It always isn't just as easy as driving to the famous Brownlows and just filling you Bucket with fish

enough said

Mudder

Well said.

My experience was my first trip to Gull in the winter, so I'm not shocked I struck out. I plan on making several trips there this season so hopefully I'll have better results to report next time.