PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and beer

FiveO
02-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Like a hammer and nail, socks and shoes they belong together.
I’m not one to get carried away but I always enjoy a couple while fishing.
If a guys driving I can see keeping it low key, couple pops with lunch nothing wrong with it. There is something wrong with someone tattle tailing on a guy for doing such and if someone poked their nose in my business for drinking beer I would even up the score.

sportster
02-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I used to take a few beers along on most trips, but was darn near ticketed every time, so i quit bringing beer. Even got ticketed for 1 measly beer one time.

Sundancefisher
02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
I prefer fishermen take a ton of beer...drink it first thing in the morning...pass out and let me catch them all for the rest of the day!

Walleyes
02-11-2009, 03:54 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love it FiveO all with you on this one. Like you said as long as people don't get carried away and get in the bag and drive hey what the heck..

JohninAB
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I think the law is there to nip the problem in the bud, that is drinking and driving as some cannot drink responsibly and the law enforcement guys cannot be everywhere at once so they took a no tolerance approach. Plain and simple. The life that may be saved by such a law could be mine so I have no problem with it.

If you have to drink to enjoy an activity than I think one should find a different activity to enjoy where there is no need to drink to enjoy it. My personal thots on the matter.

Also nothing like coming on a public forum and making threats if someone reports you for a violation.

thumper
02-11-2009, 04:09 PM
" I’m not one to get carried away but "

It's that 'but' that concerns me.
The concept of 'keeping it low key' varies widely. Just look up the percentage of drownings where alchohol was involved - none of those guys intended on falling overboard!

I like my brewskis too, but there always seems to be one guy in the boat who just can't say 'No' to just one more. No booze in my boat thanks.

bubba 96
02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
That is why I choose my fishing partner he does not drink a drop of booze, lets me fish and drink beer and he drives home as long as i drive to the lake..
thx again kenny..

FiveO
02-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I think the law is there to nip the problem in the bud, that is drinking and driving as some cannot drink responsibly and the law enforcement guys cannot be everywhere at once so they took a no tolerance approach. Plain and simple. The life that may be saved by such a law could be mine so I have no problem with it.

If you have to drink to enjoy an activity than I think one should find a different activity to enjoy where there is no need to drink to enjoy it. My personal thots on the matter.

Also nothing like coming on a public forum and making threats if someone reports you for a violation.

Well your personal thoughts go a long ways and I have taken them into consideration, however next time you come to a rolling stop, speed or get your church to give you a reciept for more than you coughed up and use it on you taxes i will be there and I will report you. Lots of rules and lots of grey area in life and way to many rules created by dogooders and thumpers.(not the member thumper , the other type).

No not a public threat but more tit for tat, eye for an eye, you f me I f you.

PS: if you want to be my Kenny im taking applications? (no offence Bubba 96's Kenny)

JohninAB
02-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Well five-o it is obvious you did not understand my post. I merely stated what I thot was the reason behind the law. Sort of like no open liquor in a vehicle. If the driver isn't drinking then what is wrong with it? It is legal in Sweden or used to be so why should here be any different. Right?

There is something wrong with someone tattle tailing on a guy for doing such and if someone poked their nose in my business for drinking beer I would even up the score. As posted by Five O

That can be construed as a threat no matter which way you slice it.

Also be forewarned, their may be someone fishing there that has an obligation to report you based on them being a peace officer and a threat against them is highly frowned upon by the judicial system in our province.

BigRackLover
02-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I usually have a pop when the days activities are over. Although on a nice summer day, I've been known to have a pop and then go cast a line somewhere.

DustDee
02-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm not usually a stickler for the letter of the law. I prefer to let people live their lives. But when it comes to alcohol, I have a different opinion on things. I have seen the damage that can come from alcohol. It is an addictive substance and it is hard to have just one. If I see you drinking where you shouldn't be drinking, I will report you. If you want to make threats to try to scare me away from reporting you, there are laws against that too.

Please use alcohol responsibly and only where you are legally allowed to consume it.

Thank you.

Fish Feathers Game
02-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I have to agree with DustDee. I spend a fair amount of time on the water over the season, and I have witnessed 2 boating incidents where one was from stupidity (bow was up and couldn't see the boat in front) and the other was alcohol influenced! I also used to guide a fair bit and I told my clients they could bring beer if they wanted but I would take them back to the launch and they could drink 1 there at lunch. It is against the law, period! Also, it might not be me that reports you......it might be the plain clothed officer sitting next to me!!!

g-tard
02-12-2009, 10:51 AM
If a person is going to go fishing, then go fishing. Not go looking for something to complain about. You will probably have better luck when one pays attention to his own line.

driverlong
02-12-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm not usually a stickler for the letter of the law. I prefer to let people live their lives. But when it comes to alcohol, I have a different opinion on things. I have seen the damage that can come from alcohol. It is an addictive substance and it is hard to have just one. If I see you drinking where you shouldn't be drinking, I will report you. If you want to make threats to try to scare me away from reporting you, there are laws against that too.

Please use alcohol responsibly and only where you are legally allowed to consume it.

Thank you.
To say it is hard to have one, is a personal issue, I on the other hand quite often have two. One with lunch, and one after lunch. Done!

bull9898
02-12-2009, 12:26 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Love it FiveO all with you on this one. Like you said as long as people don't get carried away and get in the bag and drive hey what the heck..

x2 im with you guys on this matter if you want to have a few then have a few but not to many.

chuck0039
02-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I have a very good friend who was almost killed in a head on collision by a guy on his way home after a day of fishing, who thought it was alright to have a few beers.. If you have to drive anywhere there is no reason for you to drink. if you want to have a drink while out fishing get your wife or someone else to drive you home. There is lots of time for drinking at home or around a camp fire not while you are operating a boat or vehicle.

Is the risk of having your license suspended or fines handed out just to have a drink or two really worth it?

ICE HOLE
02-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Where the hell did all the More Alberta Less Ottawa, tobacco chewin, Liberal Bashin, hard cussin, beer drinking Rednecks go?

Oh yeah, the wives read the forum too...that must be it.

I say mind your own business. If I want to have a beer or two while I'm fishing (not a dozen or even half a dozen) over the course of 8 -10 hours that my friend is not of your business.

Beer the source of all lifes problems and solutions.......Homer Simpson

Sbrooks
02-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Another thing about people drinking beer when there fishing is that they leave there beer cans behind. GUYS, PICK UP YOUR BEER CANS! I always find and pick up beer cans along trails and streams that I fish because of some lazy guys who don't give a damn. Not cool at all.

strungout
02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
nothing beats sitting on the lake in the middle of summer with your best buddy having a beer, telling fish stories and hammering on walleye:) just my perspective not meaning to offend anybody

jts1
02-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Where the hell did all the More Alberta Less Ottawa, tobacco chewin, Liberal Bashin, hard cussin, beer drinking Rednecks go?

Oh yeah, the wives read the forum too...that must be it.

I say mind your own business. If I want to have a beer or two while I'm fishing (not a dozen or even half a dozen) over the course of 8 -10 hours that my friend is not of your business.

Beer the source of all lifes problems and solutions.......Homer Simpson

I go out with the wife "who dont drink" Sometimes I have 1 or 2 sometimes I have 10 or 12. I never make a mess or drive. Besides the beer helps when the wife outfish's me.

troutpirate
02-12-2009, 07:37 PM
life doesnt get much better for me than when im out on a trout lake, on a warm summer evening drinking beers and catching fish with a buddy. i dont drink early in the day or while fishing flowing water. but, it does bother me when others leave all of their beer cans behind.

lucaslogan
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I see the whale has kept his two bits out of this discussion, probably chowing down at McDonalds, I hear they gave him his own parking space. Keep eating and you will have more chins then a Chinese phone book.

troutpirate
02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I see the whale has kept his two bits out of this discussion, probably chowing down at McDonalds, I hear they gave him his own parking space. Keep eating BBJ and you will have more chins then a Chinese phone book.

thats not very nice. maybe your comments would be best suited for "canadas next top model", the all male edition.

lucaslogan
02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Should your name be BUTT PIRATE instead of trout pirate with the "All Male Review".

Big.Bear
02-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Should your name be BUTT PIRATE instead of trout pirate with the "All Male Review".

wow someones not having a good night lol

Big Red 250
02-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Walleye fillets dipped in beer batter, fried to a golden brown. MMmmmmmm delicious.

merk1
02-13-2009, 08:14 AM
I am not a party pooper, I might bring two beer for myself in the boat cooler, but garanteed if I see someone hammered and acting like a fool then one phone call solves it. We have enough idiots on our highways lets keep the lakes safer. Thats what the campfire is for.

Bear
02-13-2009, 08:37 AM
wow no one drinks and drives. Thats great. Too bad the stats don't show that. More and more drunks on the road all the time.

No one here litters. Thats great. Why is it that people are finding beer cans?

If you are out to fish, do that and fish. You want to drink go home or go to the bar.

Don't whine when you get pinched for drinking where you are not allowed. And if I am on the water or ice and see you boozing it up I will narc on you.

thundergrey
02-13-2009, 08:49 AM
when camping, in my morning fish i am usally still to foggy to drink, but i might bring some irish cream in my joe to take the edge off haha. if i am expected to operate a boat (or car for that matter) i keep thing well in the green, maybe 1 beer every hour and none for the last hour before i have to drive. now thats not the golden rule, if i havent had anything to eat and 2 drinks will throw me over, then yah thats different.

if im at camp and out in the bellyboat or on shore all bets are off.

haha after re-reading my post i sound like an alcholic. you would never guess that it takes me 3 months to get through a case of beer in my house.

tbosch
02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Another thing about people drinking beer when there fishing is that they leave there beer cans behind. GUYS, PICK UP YOUR BEER CANS! I always find and pick up beer cans along trails and streams that I fish because of some lazy guys who don't give a damn. Not cool at all.

I have no problem with having a pop or two on a hot day but nothing gets my goat more than fishing in the back country on a small stream and finding empties all along. Seriously how hard is it to put it in your pack instead of on the ground?? That drives me nuts. It's bad enough to litter in our cities but to litter in our pristine mountain wilderness..Man what a shame.

thumper
02-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I think a lot of the empties you see at the bottom of the lake are purposely sunk by boaters who are afraid of getting caught by the law when pulling out at the boat launch.
The same reason our highways are littered with beer cans - disposing of the evidence.

Hoser42
02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Don't whine when you get pinched for drinking where you are not allowed. And if I am on the water or ice and see you boozing it up I will narc on you.

That's what we need. A bunch of hero's looking over our shoulders and tattle tailing at every opportuninty. You should start your own chapter of guardian angels and patrol all the lakes and enforce your opinions and morals. What a perfect world it would be. It's pretty sad when you have to worry about getting ratted out by a fellow fisherman for having a couple beers. Are you going to chase down all the reefer smokers as well?

merk1
02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Yep, we do need more guys like that, might make things safer for everyone. And that is what a fellow fisherman is about, not what you think one is!!!!!!!!!!

BloodHound70
02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Personally, I don't allow my buddies to kick back a few when I'm driving in my truck, so I don't allow it in my boat either. I am not forcing my opinions on anyone, just what my personal rules are. I don't have a single drop until I get to shore and I know for certain that my boat is parked for the night. I have all evening at the fire to kill a few or 10:D. If you want to go out and have a COUPLE and no more that is up to you. If you get pinched though, don't cry about it because you obviously know that the bottom line is, that it IS against the law no matter how you want to spin the details.

My 2 Cents
BH

river_runner
02-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I’m not one to get carried away but I always enjoy a couple while fishing.
If a guys driving I can see keeping it low key, couple pops with lunch nothing wrong with it. There is something wrong with someone tattle tailing on a guy for doing such and if someone poked their nose in my business for drinking beer I would even up the score. What a useless thread can't see the point of it other then a ****ing match .So you like to drink big deal i for one would poke my face into your bus.:mad:

fluxcore
02-13-2009, 10:30 AM
If im on the water for the day I usually bring two beers to enjoy while passing the time in between fish. everyones different , I would definatley call in a drunk on the water but I have no problem taking a risk with my two beer, I have been doing it for years now without a problem. Some people will think less of me for doing so but thats there problem I could care less.

Winch101
02-13-2009, 10:52 AM
My new retirement job is providing Safe Boating seminars combined

With the Pleasure Craft Operators Card exam in Alberta ...

I had no idea before I was involved what repercussions

the Small Vessel Regulations Act combined with the

Criminal code ,and throw in the Collision Regulations Act ,would have on your average boater .

Law enforcement at all levels have had a vast increase in power

vis a vis boating , fishing , all water sports ...

I was checked by F&W at Sherburn last week , nice guy , so I asked him

about enforcement after Sept 15 ,2009 ...No more warnings , all level of

peace officers are mandated to enforce these new regs .....

If you were hoping that operators card was going to go away

as I was ... Good luck ... I am doing classes all over central and southern

alberta and participation is strong but according to DOT , only a small portion

of boaters have acquiered this card ... Should be an interesting summer ...

I think wobbly pops while boating is on its last legs ....W101

sirmike68
02-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I too enjoy a beer while fishing but there are so many "do-gooders" out there now that the fine is just not worth it. Even if you are being responcible.

FiveO
02-13-2009, 03:31 PM
What a useless thread can't see the point of it other then a ****ing match .So you like to drink big deal i for one would poke my face into your bus.:mad:

Well arent you a fun sucker. If you dont like the thread dont look at it and dont add your two bits.

DustDee
02-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Maybe this is a little off topic, maybe not.

Anybody know any good ways to get your buddy in a wheel chair out fishing? You know, so he can enjoy it like he used to.

lilsundance
02-13-2009, 10:06 PM
to advocate drinking and driving to our young ones. You think its ok to teach our young its ok to break the law or that you are above the law. Anyone who advocates fishing and beer is doing exactly that. You are teaching our young that laws don't matter. yet some of you who are advocating this law breaking are the first to come down hard on the young today that breaks any other law. Its no wonder the youth of today have no respect for any laws, when their peers have taught them its ok to break the law.
IMHO if you are caught on a lake with booze in your boat you should have your boat impounded. You are not above the law and those laws were put in place to keep you and others safe while doing what we all enjoy.
Thread closed.