PDA

View Full Version : Wholesale Sports opening in Grande Prairie

gpguy7
02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Was on a job hunt today, and noticed that wholesale sports has ads out hiring for management and staff for a new Grande Prairie location opening in early spring. I'm aware that there are one or two people on this forum working at wholesale, and was curious what the full time wages were like, for managers, supervisors, as well as full time staff. I'm the typical Grande Prairie native, I work in the patch (what's left of it) and am thinking it's time to get out. With breakup around the corner, well let's face it the way things are going now it is already breakup, a guy needs to pay the bills. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mark-edmonton
02-11-2009, 03:27 PM
That would be a good job. Surrounded by hunting and fishing gear and not expected to give ANY customer support. They are the worst place to go if you need help or advice.

JohninAB
02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Good response mark. Really helped him out with that one. Should be proud of yourself!

Alberta Redneck
02-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Hey GPguy, where are they going to put that building up? This is the 1st ive heard about it. I agree with you on the Oilpatch situation it is slow as all hell. The company i work for is still flat out but i hear all lot of doom and gloom for other companies. Its going to be a tough year for most. I would bet the pay at Wholesale Sports wouldn't compete with what you make now, but if you don't care, it would be a great place to work surrounded bye equpment you love. Alberta Redneck

MikeK
02-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Rumor has it the old future shop building. It will KO some of the smaller stores

shooter55
02-14-2009, 09:54 AM
being out of GP for 4 years, is BARTON's still around or has he retired....I always had the greatest service from Jack and co --- the Tackle shack always annoyed me

Alberta Redneck
02-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Jack does not own it anymore he sold it too some company out of Kelowna, its still called Bartons but the service has gone downhill, so i shop at Tackle Shack now. Gpguy is right Wholesale will KO those small shops. I bet it won't affect Courdelaines in Dawson Creek though in my opinion its the best shop around.

addicted
02-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I'd go for it if break is coming soon and u want a steady thing for the summer see how it goes i know they get great discounts on certain goods and u never know u might like it.... just my 2cents:wave:

Evan83
02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Anyone know when it is set to open?

gpguy7
02-19-2009, 11:43 AM
The company I work for is dead slow, and the way they jack their employees around won't keep me on for much longer. My brother has left already and I'm soon to follow. I figured if I could handle the pay cut, I could be home every night by 6 and actually have a life during the winter.

And yes I agree guys, goodbye tackle shack if WSS comes in. Bartons is the worst store in town for fishing service, hunting still not bad. Tackle shack isn't bad. I haven't heard where the store is going yet but there's lot of new things going up by the new future shop and best buy. I'm not sure if the old future shop building will be big enough.

mark-edmonton
02-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Good response mark. Really helped him out with that one. Should be proud of yourself!

truth Hurt Johninab

Versatile
02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
I loved up here in Aug and at first was mad at myself for forgetting my fly rod. But looking around there is pretty well noone who carries good flies for a decent price. I for one will be happy to see wholesale come here. Cant beat 12 flies for a 12 bucks.

06Hemi
03-08-2009, 09:14 PM
I wish you good luck in your future job search. A lot of business's one being Joey's Only, are not hiring ex "oil patch" workers, why? Because as soon as it picks up you take off leaving the employer looking for a replacement when it took some time to fill a position.

Its a mentality that has been around for quite awhile and its sad but true, the one thing is though, there will be less Nfld'ers here so better chance to pick up a more appropriate job. Unless of course,. you are from the rock :)

I left the "patch" work back in '94 and glad I did.

On a side note,.. let us know if you got hired on there,.. would be nice to know someone on the inside so we could get a discount :)

KyleM
03-08-2009, 10:03 PM
I think I may hafta go chat about getting a P/T job there.
Would be nice to do a couple nights a week and the odd Saturday.

I dont know squat about hunting though.

Its a mentality that has been around for quite awhile and its sad but true, the one thing is though, there will be less Nfld'ers here so better chance to pick up a more appropriate job. Unless of course,. you are from the rock

awwmen to dat brodder.

Alberta Redneck
03-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Its set to open April 15th

gpguy7
03-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I realize that a lot of companies won't hire ex oil patch employees. But what most of them do not take the time to ask is if we are all going to return back to our respective rig, wireline crew etc, when it picks up. My personal answer is not if I can help it. I would love a job where I can get a stable pay cheque, and be allowed to have a life during the winter months.

I've been in the patch for 4 years, and the way it looks right now I don't want to attempt year 5. It was simply too slow this year.

Versatile
03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I realize that a lot of companies won't hire ex oil patch employees. But what most of them do not take the time to ask is if we are all going to return back to our respective rig, wireline crew etc, when it picks up. My personal answer is not if I can help it. I would love a job where I can get a stable pay cheque, and be allowed to have a life during the winter months.

I've been in the patch for 4 years, and the way it looks right now I don't want to attempt year 5. It was simply too slow this year.

Oh come on admit it, the patch wouldnt be so bad if we could be home atleast every other night. I do agree so far this year is WAY WAY to slow.

gpguy7
03-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I'll admit, when the patch is good its GOOOOD. But when the patch is bad....its real BAAAD lol.

Alberta Redneck
03-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Well that is about what it is like in any industry, when the economy sucks ass, you will see a down turn in all jobs except one. So if your looking for work in this economy i suggest you become a Repo Man, its the place to be. Think all these high paid employees racking in the cash for the last 5 years of the boom, credited to the nuts, buying homes,toys,vehicles,rv's, not saving a dime just rolling on credit and now industry slows down, people lose their jobs and out comes repo man, because lets face it you can't make 5,000 dollars a month to cover your credit pumping gas. So if your all silly enough to think this booming time was going to last forever, think again. It comes in rotation, always has always will.

Alberta Redneck

bucksmasher
03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Someone should warn the local 7-11 that WSS may try to recruit all their clerks to work behind the gun counter.

gpguy7
03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Well they sure aren't hiring us oilfield workers, they must prefer the 7-11 clerks lol

gpguy7
03-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Well guys and gals, a while ago I applied for a supervisor or manager position at the new one here in GP. Thought like most places they wouldn't be interested in hiring Oilfield workers, even though we're willing to take a pay cut. Was pretty excited to see that I'm on the short list and should be in touch with them in the next few weeks.

The store was supposed to open in early/mid April. However according to the person who I talked to the opening has been pushed back to early may. Either way, I was happy to know that they acknowledge things other than the fact that you've been an oilfield worker like alot of other companies here in GP do . It's my first complement ever to wholesale I think lol

Sheepcrazyguy
03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Anyone know when it is set to open?

The boys at UFA in GP told me opening May 1st in the old Future Shop building.

KyleM
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
They got their work cut out for them if they want that place ready for may 1st.

209x50
03-18-2009, 12:50 PM
They got their work cut out for them if they want that place ready for may 1st.

Yeah, K-Shaw isn't noted for making deadlines. I think that Hunters Edge, Tackle Shack and Whitetail Ridge will feel the pinch when WSS opens. Barton's has better prices than WSS but not as large of selection.

Topwater
03-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Rich I've got more selection in my basement then bartons and may even have more in the boat. Wholesale will be a nice addition in town.

JET1
04-14-2009, 05:47 PM
and bartons is far from cheeper i price everything i buy at bartons at wholesale and not once have i seen it even comparable but at the same time i wasnt willing to drive to edmonton so i paid it