PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy white lightning or mod 30

Cal
02-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm concidering getting a new ice auger, I'm getting pretty tired of having to go through eskimo for all my parts. I was wondering if anyone's used the jiffy white lightning augers. I used one before and was pretty happy with the power and drilling speed just wondering how their long term relyability is. I cheaped out the first time and if they have issues I'd rather spend the extra money and get a model 30 as those seem to last along time.

Hammer Handle
02-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Go for the jiffy 30 if you like them I have one myself and it works well now that it is tuned up. A friend of mine has a jiffy 2 H.P Legend lightning - Model 77 this is his first year with it we've used it a couple of times now that thing runs great and has lots of power it is an eight inch. That is another option for you if you want to check it out.

Cal
02-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Does the ledgend have a tekumsi engine in it? I was on jiffy's web page and on some models it specified that they had tekumsi engines and some it did not specify or imply called them "new style" I dont want another home grown engine that I have to order parts from the factory again.

skykomish sunrise
02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
just got the 10 inch model 30 from wholesale...had to play with the carb but once that was done it is a nice unit. cost 510 +tax. it has the tekumsi and far as i know it wont be till the 2010 or 11 winter till we start seeing different motors. the legend came with a different thus more expensive to replace blade system, padded handles, yellow paint, and ice armour on the auger.

pikekalk
02-12-2009, 11:24 PM
why do u have to go thru eskimo...what the heck parts did u need? makes no sense to me...yet....lol

Cal
02-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I need a carb kit, which is about 30 bucks, for 20 bucks more I can buy a whole new carb so I'm going to go that rout. All eskimo's now come with a viper/aristam engine which is manifactured by eskimo so all parts other than the spark plug must be ordered through them out of Wisconsen. I'm not a fan of this system at all so i think I'll get my new carb and then sell the darn thing and get a jiffy befor they also go to an in house engine, if anyone wants 33 cc eskimo ice auger mines up for $200 bucks once the new carb comes.

Big Red 250
02-13-2009, 07:32 AM
I recently sold my model 30 jiffy, can't remember exactly when I bought it new. Had to have been at least 10 yrs ago. only thing I did to it was change the plug a couple of times and replace the off/on switch as I broke it off bouncing it around in my sleigh, had the carb adjusted a couple times. it still had the original blade but was touched up a few times and it had drilled alot of holes. It also had a 8in auger.

Hammer Handle
02-13-2009, 09:21 AM
I do not know if it has the techumseh engine or not I assumed it did i'll have to check that out the next time i go fishing with him.

Hoser42
02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
I've had a white lightning for 6 or 7 years now with 0 problems. I would buy another. It's much lighter then the 30 which you really appreciate when hiking. If you want bigger then 8" then you would probably want a little more HP although I'm sure it would work ok for 9" holes, just a little slower.

BloodHound70
02-13-2009, 10:31 AM
I have all you guys beat!!!!
I have a Jiffy that we have had in the family for over 25+ years. It has the single suicide handle if anyone remebers those. My dad bought it and now it belongs to me. We never have adjusted the carb, and I had to get the blade sharpened only once because my buddy decided to drill post holes in the bottom of Pigeon lake a few winters ago. If (and I mean if), my auger craps out. I will get another Jiffy because how do you argue with performance like that .....

BH

Pioneer2
02-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Funny I heard most people are dumping Jiffy augers and getting Eskimo's?Idling out of wack and lots of tuning to keep running season to season.Hey some people even like Ford's?No accounting for taste...............Harold

BloodHound70
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Funny I heard most people are dumping Jiffy augers and getting Eskimo's?Idling out of wack and lots of tuning to keep running season to season.Hey some people even like Ford's?No accounting for taste...............Harold

Oh ok Pioneer.....I guess I should give mine a few more holes before I make my opinion known.:D:evilgrin:
Hey maybe Cal will agree to be a spokesperson for Eskimo since they are such a superior product....:evilgrin::evilgrin:

BH

Tredeb
02-13-2009, 11:59 AM

If you hear of someone getting rid of their jiffy, you should snap it up. I got one for Christmas and I was dissapointed with the way it ran. A little homework on the net gave me the proper setup for the carb and it has been running great since.

Now, I don't think I should have had to play with it as much as I did, but that is a whole other issue. I'm just saying that if you get one, you will be able to get it to work well.

Cal
02-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Well if anyone wants to "dump one off" into my hands I'd be pretty happy.

I own a Pulan pro chainsaw, got it for 100 bucks at a midnight madness sale. You are all thinking "peice of crap" I agree, but its got a history of running better than my eskimo auger. Theres a store that provides parts and service for it in westlock, way more conveniant than WI.

Thanks Hoser, I'm more interested in the white lightning than the 30, 2hp and an 8 inch hole is all I need and I like the weight and price. Just want to make sure I'm not getting another headache by being cheap.

Cal
02-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Walked in to wallmart and wuddaya know, they got jiffy white lightnings on sale. Now I just gotta get the old one sold before the wife finds it in the shed:innocent:

Big Red 250
02-13-2009, 06:58 PM
My first auger is the same as BloodHound70 is talking about, bought it from a commercial fisherman, so it was well used. lasted me a few years. Then it was stolen from my garage one summer. That's when I bought the model 30.