PDA

View Full Version : Boat Insurance - Offshore Useage

big zeke
02-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a 1990 21' Campion Fishing Machine, this boat is built to devour salt water and everything in it...my problem is that I'm running into troubles getting insurance coverage on it for the areas I plan to use it in.

I need coverage on the west coast of Vancouver Island (specifically Tofino, Nootka Sound and Winter Harbour). The folks I have used for coverage just pointed out to me that my policy is void in these areas and they won't budge on this limitation.

I need some pointers on who to go to in order to get coverage for the boat along with contents and PL/PD, it's just for personal use and I only need it for 3-4 times a year (although I'm comfortable having this coverage year round). The quotes that I have gotten run so far around $1,000 annually and this feels a bit steep.

Any guidance is appreciated
Zeke

Triple Threat
02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I have a 1990 21' Campion Fishing Machine, this boat is built to devour salt water and everything in it...my problem is that I'm running into troubles getting insurance coverage on it for the areas I plan to use it in.

I need coverage on the west coast of Vancouver Island (specifically Tofino, Nootka Sound and Winter Harbour). The folks I have used for coverage just pointed out to me that my policy is void in these areas and they won't budge on this limitation.

I need some pointers on who to go to in order to get coverage for the boat along with contents and PL/PD, it's just for personal use and I only need it for 3-4 times a year (although I'm comfortable having this coverage year round). The quotes that I have gotten run so far around $1,000 annually and this feels a bit steep.

Any guidance is appreciated
Zeke

I'm not from the coast so not to sure how it works out there, but when I insured my boat around $345/year I was not questioned where I was going to be using it. So not sure this helps or not.

Rigg dogg
02-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Hey Zeke, did they say Why it would be void in those areas??

I live here in AB, but I have a 26' Grady White that I keep out in B.C.
I am insured through Premier Marine.
When I took out the policy a few years back I made sure to tell them that the boat would be anywhere from the Queen Charlottes to Vancouver island, which it has.
No problems, I think it's just over 800$ a year.
But insurance company's being what they are I am sure the first time I guy ever needed them they would find some way to screw you around!!

big zeke
02-13-2009, 12:11 PM
When I questioned them they indicated that the cost of recovery in the west coast was too high for them to cover, they also felt that there was more underwater obstructions & boat traffic on the west side (ridiculous, I know). The amazing thing is that they are OK with a place like the Fraser mouth near Vancouver which is filled with floating & submerged objects and tons of huge boat traffic. Trust me, an exclusion like this only comes to light in the event of a claim, not when you are buying coverage.

I don't foresee making a claim ever but I buy insurance just in case I lose that bet.

$800 for a 26' Grady (I'm guess it is worth > 100k) is a good deal. My insured replacement value is closer to $40k so hopefully I'm in for some good news. I'll check these guys out.

Thanks
Dave

Rigg dogg
02-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey Zeke
It's an older Grady, in nice shape with 2004 Yamaha power. The insured repalcement value is 50k. If that gives you a better idea of cost.

Maybe in the future a guy will have a boat worth a 100K :lol:

I am going to go down Monaday and check into the coverage a little closer, just to make sure that a guy will be covered in all areas.

Tofinofish
02-14-2009, 04:03 PM
You might want to check with Coast Country Insurance in Campbell River, or the option of premier Marine sounds worth checking into further.