PDA

View Full Version : Strange Happenings While Ice Fishing

BloodHound70
02-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I told my buddy Kanon about what happened to me the other day out on Monns Lake and we both thought that would make for a comical thread. So this is what happened:

I was ice fishing with a buddy inside my Icecube. We had the Aquaview going and we had just sat down on a new spot. I had just put my hook down and was trying to get it into the center of the screen. I noticed on camera that the hook was getting hung up on a peice of weed so I looked down the hole to get another perspective. As I turned my head down towards the hole I screamed and almost fell backward off my pail as a Muskrat was about 3/4 the way up my hole swimming to the surface. He must of noticed the movement of my head and he whipped around and was gone as fast as he came. SCARED THE ABSOLUTE CRAP OUT OF ME:lol::lol::lol::lol: Scared the he11 out of my buddy too, as he didn't know what was going on!! We sure had a good laugh after I emptied out my undies....:lol: Never heard of anyone else having this happen...

Anyone else have anything odd happen to them while out on the hard water??

BH

Mish
02-13-2009, 10:52 AM
I think I read on here that a couple people had a similiar experience. But I won't get sick of imagining grown men screaming at a muskrat coming up a hole. Keep those stories coming :)

tbosch
02-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I told my buddy Kanon about what happened to me the other day out on Monns Lake and we both thought that would make for a comical thread. So this is what happened:

I was ice fishing with a buddy inside my Icecube. We had the Aquaview going and we had just sat down on a new spot. I had just put my hook down and was trying to get it into the center of the screen. I noticed on camera that the hook was getting hung up on a peice of weed so I looked down the hole to get another perspective. As I turned my head down towards the hole I screamed and almost fell backward off my pail as a Muskrat was about 3/4 the way up my hole swimming to the surface. He must of noticed the movement of my head and he whipped around and was gone as fast as he came. SCARED THE ABSOLUTE CRAP OUT OF ME:lol::lol::lol::lol: Scared the he11 out of my buddy too, as he didn't know what was going on!! We sure had a good laugh after I emptied out my undies....:lol: Never heard of anyone else having this happen...

Anyone else have anything odd happen to them while out on the hard water??

BH

My buddy was out in our shack at pine lake last weekend and had the same thing happen. We've got a 4' x 3' hole though so the little gaffer swam right on in to it. haha. I thought we were the only ones.

Albertadiver
02-13-2009, 11:01 AM
My buddy was out in our shack at pine lake last weekend and had the same thing happen. We've got a 4' x 3' hole though so the little gaffer swam right on in to it. haha. I thought we were the only ones.

If you hear high pitched screaming, that will be my buddy in our shack on Pine this weekend. We'll be near the Salvation Army camp.

tbosch
02-13-2009, 11:29 AM
If you hear high pitched screaming, that will be my buddy in our shack on Pine this weekend. We'll be near the Salvation Army camp.

I bet we're talking about the same muskrat. haha. We're across the lake from ya on the east side. Little blue camper.

Albertadiver
02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
I bet we're talking about the same muskrat. haha. We're across the lake from ya on the east side. Little blue camper.

This will be my rig. Probably will be out with my cousin Clifford this weekend and a buddy of mine as well.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_3758.jpg

tbosch
02-13-2009, 11:44 AM
This will be my rig. Probably will be out with my cousin Clifford this weekend and a buddy of mine as well.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/IMG_3758.jpg

Perfect. I'll listen for the screams then. If I see your rig I'll stop by and see how things are going.

Big Red 250
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I've had muskrat come up my fishing hole twice now. They are a weird looking critter as their swimming up the hole.

MrDave
02-13-2009, 01:14 PM
I was fishing on Nuggent pond north of Rimbey, years back. hoping some of the planted trout were still alive. A muskrat came up into my hole right into the hut. Little bugger wouldn't get out of the hut and wouldn't go back down. We went for a coffee in the car and left him alone to do his thing.

srp71
02-13-2009, 01:25 PM
My father and I were driving across Irish Lake one time when we saw a group of people standing around a hole.There must of been 5 or 6 of them standing there.So,curious as to what was happening we drove closer.As we approached they all of a sudden jumped back all as one,togues and hats flying and everything.It was hilarious.when the snow settled we saw a man holding his rod(or tip up)at arms length,with a muskrat attached to the large spoon hooked to his line.He was doin' some kinda funny jig,don't think it was an "Irish Jig" though.The poor little rat was trying to lunge at him,and he was jumpin around to keep away.Funny thing was none of the group of his buddies were getting close enough to him to help.We didn't wait around to see how he released the little critter.

kidd
02-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I too had a muskrat come up the hole about ten years ago at Wabamun. I was sitting with a large black bag over me, using it as a darkhouse. When it came up I tipped over backward and yes, it was very scary initially. After that, we saw him a few times come up a few more holes we had drilled.
funny now. Not then.
kidd

The Fish King
02-13-2009, 02:29 PM
I had a permanent ice shack that a muskrat decided he should make his new home. He would pop his head through the hole everytime we went fishing and since we had a wood stove, the holes never really froze over. Soooo everytime you would return after a week or so I would open the door and there would be a pile of weeds and sticks that the muskrat would bring up with him. And let me tell you they do not smell very good at all. But I guess at least he was warm.

Appletree
02-13-2009, 02:57 PM
I had a 33" pike try that same trick with me yesterday afternoon on Gull Lake. My smelt had come off the jig and was only held on by the stinger, so I pulled it up to rehook it. The pike must have been taking a run at it as I pulled it up, because just as the smelt cleared the hole, the pike hit the hole with such force that his nose ended up half-way to the surface. Needless to say, I jumped a bit. After I composed myself, catching her was pretty easy - as soon as the smelt went back down the hole she was on it.

DustDee
02-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I was out at Christmas time on one of the trout lakes in Southern Alberta. The guy next to us had a muskrat come up his hole to grab a breath, then dove back down. He screamed pretty good too!

When I was young I was fishing with my dad. He pulled up the tip-up to see if the smelt was still on there. It needed fixing so he pulled it all the way out of the hole. Up came a pike after it. Dad kicked the pike out onto the ice. Easiest pike we ever caught!!

denpacc
02-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Friend of mine told me that her dad was fishing the North Sask. river many, many years ago. Had a muskrat come up the hole then dive back down...followed by his black lab which disappeared down the hole. He ran out of his ice shack in dispair. Few seconds later a bunch of guys came screaming out of their shack only a few meters away with the black lab in tow. Guess the dog headed for the light...

Apparently a true story, but I swear I've heard it before.

Cheers

Cal
02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Now these are what fish tales should sound like, not all that corn and sore gums stuff.

Ishpah
02-13-2009, 09:42 PM
This didn't happen out on the ice.
A few years back, one of my work mates came out of his house to head off to work. In the pre-dawn darkness, he sees this dark objest on his lawn that wasn't there the previous evening. So he marches over and gives it a soft little kick and the damm thing latches onto the sole of his boot. With much crowfoot hopping he managed to dis-entangle the boot from one very angry and aggressive muskrat. It actually ran at him. Being a neopolitan, he now considers muskrats to be as dangerous as bears and cougars.

BUD
02-14-2009, 01:05 AM
When a human hands comes up the hole its time to run.

whitewolf
02-14-2009, 08:19 AM
ya this happened to me out at birch and every hole i moved to the dam thing kept popping out at me! scared the hell out of me..my buds had a good laugh...your looking down the hole and they shoot out like a missle,i was beginng to think he was hunting me as he followed me hole to hole

Big Red 250
02-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Not ice-fishing but fishing. I was fishing out of a canoe on a crystal clear trout lake when a loon went under the boat. Are they strange looking underwater. Fast too.

ESOXangler
02-14-2009, 10:46 AM
a few years ago in me and the misses were canoeing across a lake when she went, " what is that swimming in the water?" i had a look and it looked like a dead head so i told her it was a dead head. She disagreed and after much arguemnt we canoed over to it. There in the middle of the lake a good 750-1000 yards from shore is a damn skunk just givin'er. So i gave it a pet.

dfrobert
02-14-2009, 12:06 PM
My younger brother, My dad and I were fishing at Iosegun Lake near Fox Creek years ago. We had been catching walleye fairly steady everytime we would troll up the dropoff we would be pulling in fish. Each of us had been using jigs that had began to become pretty tattered after landing a good number of decent walleye. My dad ended up busting his line and soon had a new jig on. The next pass up the dropoff my little brother hooked and landed what was a nice sized walleye for Iosegun. When he went to pull the jig from his mouth we found my dads old jig still hooked in the back of the nice walleyes mouth. We kept the lucky jig and all were chuckling for minutes. :D

Brian
02-14-2009, 12:29 PM
I wasn't there but..........This happened to some friends of mine quite a few years ago at (I think) Beaver Lake near Lac La Biche. It was before power ice augers were common place & lots of people used to use chainsaws to cut holes in the ice. Consequently, they were often pretty good sized holes....a couple of feet square. At any rate, my friend's wife was in an ice fishing tent (I think it was an old oiled canvas camping tent with the floor cut out) while my friend & other's were outside visiting or whatever. There were some other people fishing quite some distance away. Suddenly my friend's wife let out a shriek & the tent started shaking & wobbling........and then collapsed as the wife tried to run through the wall! When they finally got everything sorted out, this is what happened.......... She had been sitting on an upside down bucket looking down the hole when a giant black monster came shooting up through the hole & onto the ice beside her....soaking her in the process! Terrified (apparently it happened so fast that nothing had time to really register in her mind....it just scared the dickens out of her) she just took off right into the tent wall & beyond! The people fishing a ways away had a similarly large ice hole & had caught a fish. Their mature big male black lab was in the tent with them......saw the fish & jumped into the water after the fish. Apparently it swam after the fish & disappeared. Everyone was in a real frenzy believing their family pet had drowned! He didn't. Turns out he found my friend's wife's ice hole & came lunging out gasping for air. She in turn didn't stick around. Totally unsuspecting, she just saw some huge black creature come flashing into view & exploding out of the water onto her lap and...........you guessed it! She took off screaming! Everyone was pretty amazed the dog found her hole & saved itself, but I guess she was pretty scared by the whole event. I can just imagine..............something big & black erupting out of a big ice hole when you're thinking "fish" would scare anyone! She still talks about it!

Kanonfodder
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Same thing happened to me last year at Beaver, Blood and I were jiggn for 'eyes and I lost a jig ( knot slipped I didnt check after landing my last fish ) action was pretty steady and we continued fishing...minutes later I hooked on another fish...pulled her up and there was my hook perfectly lipped in the walleye, so I got my lure back and we kept on fishing.....

FisherPotch
02-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I too have had a muskrat come up my hole while in a tent. He was on his way back as quick as he come up. I'm glad he didn't freak out and attack lol he was right between my legs. Sounds fairly common after reading this thread.

Cal
02-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah loons shure do look weird under the water big red. I was camping in the yukon by this lake called tachun lake. I was quietly paddling along the shore at about one in the morning and I saw what I thought was a dead duck lying on the shore near the water and steered towards it to investigate. Well it was a loon sleeping with its head under its wing, the missing head part was what made me think it was dead, I just about poked him in the back with my bow when he woke up, he was in the water and zooming under my canoe so fast I couldnt beleive it, scared the heck out of me. I guess I dont know where I thought they slept but I didnt think they just cosy'd up to some random stump a few feet from the water.

el sparko
02-15-2009, 11:12 AM
this is a nasty little trick i like to do when i go after whitefish and they just are not biting. first of all get yourself situated amongst a whole bunch of the old timers that tend to frequent close togather in a group and when you determine that the whites just aren't biting rustle the tent splosh the water and clap your hands togather mimicking the sound of a whitefish on the ice. do this repeatedly it drives the old guys crazy, you'll hear zipper after zipper as they stick their heads out to see who's catching all the fish..

BloodHound70
02-17-2009, 07:35 AM
I feel so much better knowing that there are so many more like me. We should have a support group. Muscrats Anonymus.......

"Hi i'm BloodHound....and I have had the crap scared out of me by a Muscrat......." LOL :lol::lol::lol:

BH

TexasTornado
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
I was fishing Sylvan Last winter with a buddy in the tent, a group of people were fishing out in the open fairly close to us and we were catching Whites and Burbs left and right. A girl from the group came over and asked if she could see down the hole cause she couldn't see down hers and she never saw the bottom before through the ice. Me and my buddy look at each other like whoa this babe is fairly hot or what. She leaves and we continue fishing, my buddy leaves an hour later and this girl comes over again and ask's if she can fish in my tent with me cause she saw my buddy leave. Anyway, me and her are fishing away, she takes her coat off and now she is happy and warm and she can see the Whites and Burbs swmming around. She had some fancy expensive sunglasses (i think they were Ray Ban's) on her head resting and they fell off down the hole they went. I hooked them with a jigging Rapala and while i was bringing them up a huge Northern like easily + 40" just nailed my hook that has her glasses on them??? WE LOOKED AT EACH OTHER IN UTTER SHOCK!!!........She starts crying!,... now my hook is gone her glasses are gone, i wasn't sure what to do then a Burb comes in and picks up her wire worm off the bottom and she brings in her first ever fish while ice fishing.

Then get this...........SHE STARTS MAKING OUT WITH ME!, i mean it got HOLY #@$% after about 10 minutes. I never even knew her name!, she was from Calgary and i mean fella's she was a 10. She wrote her name and number on my fish measuring ruler tape thing, she left and i never heard from her or talked to her again.

tbosch
02-19-2009, 01:01 PM
COME ON!!! I think I read that story in penthouse forum last month... HAha. JK buddy. You are officially my hero.....PS you wouldnt want to PM me her # would you????????:innocent:

Sundancefisher
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Out of curiousity...do you mark your hole with some sticks before leaving?

Mish
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I was fishing Sylvan Last winter with a buddy in the tent, a group of people were fishing out in the open fairly close to us and we were catching Whites and Burbs left and right. A girl from the group came over and asked if she could see down the hole cause she couldn't see down hers and she never saw the bottom before through the ice. Me and my buddy look at each other like whoa this babe is fairly hot or what. She leaves and we continue fishing, my buddy leaves an hour later and this girl comes over again and ask's if she can fish in my tent with me cause she saw my buddy leave. Anyway, me and her are fishing away, she takes her coat off and now she is happy and warm and she can see the Whites and Burbs swmming around. She had some fancy expensive sunglasses (i think they were Ray Ban's) on her head resting and they fell off down the hole they went. I hooked them with a jigging Rapala and while i was bringing them up a huge Northern like easily + 40" just nailed my hook that has her glasses on them??? WE LOOKED AT EACH OTHER IN UTTER SHOCK!!!........She starts crying!,... now my hook is gone her glasses are gone, i wasn't sure what to do then a Burb comes in and picks up her wire worm off the bottom and she brings in her first ever fish while ice fishing.

Then get this...........SHE STARTS MAKING OUT WITH ME!, i mean it got HOLY #@$% after about 10 minutes. I never even knew her name!, she was from Calgary and i mean fella's she was a 10. She wrote her name and number on my fish measuring ruler tape thing, she left and i never heard from her or talked to her again.

I call BS!!! Only coz I've never had a hot girl offer to cozy up in MY hut while I'm fishing. :p

tbosch
02-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Out of curiousity...do you mark your hole with some sticks before leaving?

We sure do Sundance. We dont usually move the shack much once it's set. This year we had to move it about 20 feet because we missed the honey hole when we set it in the dark. We covered the open hole with a pallet and stood a few stakes around it. Even if someone did fall in to that hole they wouldnt be in too much trouble... there was only about a foot of water below the ice:lol:

Sundancefisher
02-19-2009, 03:31 PM
:lol:We sure do Sundance. We dont usually move the shack much once it's set. This year we had to move it about 20 feet because we missed the honey hole when we set it in the dark. We covered the open hole with a pallet and stood a few stakes around it. Even if someone did fall in to that hole they wouldnt be in too much trouble... there was only about a foot of water below the ice:lol:

You are tops in my book! I got stuck one year in the evening driving my honda civic on the ice. As luck had it I stopped in a 10 inch hole:mad2:. Took me forever to get out. Your hole would of swallowed my car:lol:

tbosch
02-19-2009, 03:35 PM
:lol:

You are tops in my book! I got stuck one year in the evening driving my honda civic on the ice. As luck had it I stopped in a 10 inch hole:mad2:. Took me forever to get out. Your hole would of swallowed my car:lol:

Haha. I hear ya. I used to drive a mazda b2200 with bald"ing" tires. If someone so much as blew a snot rocket on the ice I would get hung up on it. A 4 x 6 hole could be seriously dangerous though all kidding aside. Plus if someone drove in to it they'd scare all my fish away. :wave:

Jamie
02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I call BS!!! Only coz I've never had a hot girl offer to cozy up in MY hut while I'm fishing. :p

Is it just me.. Or does this read kinda wierd?????

:lol::lol::lol:

Jamie

TexasTornado
02-19-2009, 06:05 PM

Dead true story i swear on my mothers grave

jts1
02-19-2009, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=TexasTornado;268976]I was fishing Sylvan Last winter with a buddy in the tent, a group of people were fishing out in the open fairly close to us and we were catching Whites and Burbs left and right. A girl from the group came over and asked if she could see down the hole cause she couldn't see down hers and she never saw the bottom before through the ice. Me and my buddy look at each other like whoa this babe is fairly hot or what. She leaves and we continue fishing, my buddy leaves an hour later and this girl comes over again and ask's if she can fish in my tent with me cause she saw my buddy leave. Anyway, me and her are fishing away, she takes her coat off and now she is happy and warm and she can see the Whites and Burbs swmming around. She had some fancy expensive sunglasses (i think they were Ray Ban's) on her head resting and they fell off down the hole they went. I hooked them with a jigging Rapala and while i was bringing them up a huge Northern like easily + 40" just nailed my hook that has her glasses on them??? WE LOOKED AT EACH OTHER IN UTTER SHOCK!!!........She starts crying!,... now my hook is gone her glasses are gone, i wasn't sure what to do then a Burb comes in and picks up her wire worm off the bottom and she brings in her first ever fish while ice fishing.

Then get this...........SHE STARTS MAKING OUT WITH ME!, i mean it got HOLY #@$% after about 10 minutes. I never even knew her name!, she was from Calgary and i mean fella's she was a 10. She wrote her name and number on my fish measuring ruler tape thing, she left and i never heard from her or talked to her again.[/QUO

Now thats a day of fish'n