PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Fishing

SouthAltaHunter
02-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Hello Gentlemen, I would like to take my Dad fishing this summer to the west coast. As being a first timer to the westcoast I have a few questions that hopefully somebody can answer.

1) What do you prefer for areas & what are alot of the differences between Vancouver Island fishing & Queen Charlottes?

2) What are historically some of the best times of the year to go?

3) What kinda price is a good price? Im not looking for the cheapest deal out there, just would kinda know what others have paid ect.

4) Is there any lodges that you recomend or dont recomend?

I was chatting with some lodges tonight at the Calgary boat show & am really interested. I am kinda leaning towards Quatsino Sound area with some of the imformation that was presented to me. Any information would be really appreciated.

Thanks - SA

big zeke
02-13-2009, 09:51 PM
I've done the lodge thing a few times and I didn't find it particularly useful. These guys aren't magicians, if the run hasn't come thru, you will have a long maybe fishless trip. I went with WCR and their facility is first class but not cheap, the hosts are friendly, the rooms are clean and the booze is very available...the fish (if that is what you are there for) can be spotty.

I'd recommend that you hook up with a charter in an area that you can come back to (Tofino, Gold River, Port Hardy, Bamfield), learn EVERYTHING in the 1-2 days with them and then try your own hand at it using your own rig in following years.

The runs come down as early as late June and continue thru to Sept, they tend to travel north to south so the later in the year you go, the more southerly you should plan for. The varibilty is huge from year to year so this is a very loose guideline.

The regs have gotten so you need a Philadelphia lawyer to figure them out...it gets worse every year. The DFO guys have gotten to the point where they will ticket rather than warn, these can get expensive.

Be patient, after about 18 year at it I'm still a long way from an expert..I'm told that I'm denser than most though.

Zeke

nube
02-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I go with a charter out of Port REnfrew. It is a 2 hour drive from Victoria airport and the closest place you can get to for Halibut. We caught 13 of them in an hour and then fished the rest of the time for Salmon. We caught our limit in Coho easily catching over 50 fish in 2 days. We didn't get any big springs but came home with a limit of smaller springs. I like the spot because it is close to victoria and you can spend some time there and make a good round trip of it with HAlibut and salmon fishing all in one day. Boat ride out for Halibut is 45 min. Cost is around $1300 for the boat for the day with a house to stay in overnight. I think it is pretty good. Don't know much about the different areas but it all depends on where the fish are migrating to and making it there at the right time. I took my wife last time and another couple and had a blast. I just sent in a deposit last week. Can't wait.

Kingfisher
02-14-2009, 01:02 AM
I went at the end of August last year to Ucluelet and fished with Castaway Charters.http://http://www.castawaycharter.com/CMSMS/index.php There are a lot of clean motels right around the harbor. We got lots of halibut, some salmon and some crabs.

I'd go with them again in a heartbeat.

Sundancefisher
02-14-2009, 08:42 PM
I sent you a post and email. Our oil companies social club group trip with direct flight to the Queen Charlottes is the bomb. We do very well and because of the group size we get a killer deal.

There are a few spots left direct from Calgary for anyone interested.

Cheers

Sun

Unregistered user
02-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Try this link. http://www.islandangler.net/

SouthAltaHunter
02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks Sundance for the invite. I am kinda wanting to go with just my Dad. Nube what time of the year do you fish. Also how do you get all that fish back if you fly?
SA

Tofinofish
02-16-2009, 05:29 PM
SA

Your first step to ask for others experience and recommendations was wise, as opposed to just going with the best looking ad in the magazine,high ranking on an internet search, or especially the cheapest rates offered......

As a full time outfitter for the past 14 years, I would ask you a few further questions before asking for your deposit....

This trip seems to carry a strong importance for the overall experience that you hope to have with your Dad.

-Is he older and have limitations, or are you both just new to Sal****er fishing on West Coast of Canada.
-Based on interest, or stories you've heard, what would be your focused species/fishery.
-Have you considered the concept of having your fishing vacation "confined" to a lodge setting with either being on the boat or in the lodge, or does the freedom of a community based fishing holiday appeal, with various restaurant options, accommodation options or other activities to mix it up? Golf, Hiking, Freshwater Fishing etc.
-Time consumed by travel can be an issue for some. Is the destination only Fly in? Are you able to drive in or fly in? Some of these things may be a factor for future visits if you enjoy your experience.
-Vessels and guide experience should be discussed. If you are booking an independant charter, is this a sideline to selling artwork, or are they a full time professional guide. Lodges with repeat guide staff are likely better than the revolving door of new crew learning new waters. (Even though new, some guides can bring experience from other areas, but people skills should be up there with fishing skills.)
-Asking for references is something that we have never personally been offended by, and a strong reputation should make this request quite simple for quality outfits.
-Processing and Travel options with your catch if you plan on bringing some home should be explained.

With all that is going on with federal fisheries change and challenge, even the most experienced outfitter doesn't have a crystal ball on how many and how big, but all the other factors to enhance your experience are controllable.
Before you book into a specific area that is totally new to you, reliable sources like an area outlook based on gathered/documented info is worth looking for or requesting.
We provide an outlook with updates like this http://www.tofinofishing.com/fishingreport/fishing_outlook_09.php as an example.

I hope this helps, and that you find a place that provides you and your dad a package with great Fishing and even better service.

Jay

Iron Brew
02-16-2009, 05:44 PM
I used a local guide out of Rupert one year. He is definitely a local guide, rather than a tourist guide. He guides the locals for their meat fishery. We went late for salmon (knowing that) but still got 3 salmon (4 guys). We limited out on Halibut, and went rockfish fishing, which was definitely an experience. He was cheaper than others, but... we had to tell him "yes, we would like to see those whales over there, even if we don't get as many fish". The boat was very much a workmans boat (ie - primitive bathroom conditions). We had rougher waters (3'rd and 2'nd last days of his season), but... being an open air boat, that didn't bother us (those prone to sea sickness tend to have more troubles inside a cockpit). Was rough enough some of the local guides were green, as well as their customers... :sick: I found there to be a LOT more fish out of Rupert than out of Sooke. Good guides in both places, but... even with a more primitive boat, I enjoyed Rupert more... more fish...

If you want his contact info, PM me.

IB

Blairh
02-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I would suggest QCL (Queen Charlotte Lodge) went there in the summer of 2008 at the end of July. It costs a bit more then other lodges but it is well worth it. It is located on the North side of the island. They have guiding, gormet food, and nice rooms. They vacuum pack your catch and pack it in boxes. THey also have the option of sending it a cannery to get it smoked, candied, steaked, or many other choices. Heres the website so you can check it out http://www.queencharlottelodge.com/

mmmax
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
If you want to catch fish this is the guide.

Mike www.tidesandtales.com He is in Port Hardy.

dss44
02-16-2009, 06:28 PM

Ğmikes a good guy. always very curdious and nice on the water to fish around. one of the other guys out of hardy i would suggest other then myself obviously.

Walleyes
02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
I would suggest QCL (Queen Charlotte Lodge) went there in the summer of 2008 at the end of July. It costs a bit more then other lodges but it is well worth it. It is located on the North side of the island. They have guiding, gormet food, and nice rooms. They vacuum pack your catch and pack it in boxes. THey also have the option of sending it a cannery to get it smoked, candied, steaked, or many other choices. Heres the website so you can check it out http://www.queencharlottelodge.com/

With all do respect Blairh,, no the queen Charlotte's are not worth it. Yes there are good fish there but they have priced themselves out of the market for the average Joe. IMHO leave the Charlotte's to the rich mericans. Check out some of the guide outfits on WVI you will get your moneys worth out of them boys and most offer all of the services available when it comes to handling your fish. There are many a lodge to choose from on the west side of the island and the fish are just as plentiful only difference is is that they are fatter by the time they hit the Island !!! Give DSS a shout them boys are sittin in some prime area and I'm sure if He can't fit you in He will put you onto somebody who can. If you would like P.M. me and I can give you some Links to some great fishing area's and some decent "fishing" lodges and guides. Or better yet just Google places like Nootka Sound Salmon fishing or Bamfeild or Tofino all these places have anything that the Charlotte's do and if you want you can do it at a fraction of the cost.

Sundancefisher
02-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks Sundance for the invite. I am kinda wanting to go with just my Dad. Nube what time of the year do you fish. Also how do you get all that fish back if you fly?
SA

You and your dad can come. I have room. The fish all come back on the plane with us unless to send some for smoking.

Yellowtail
02-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Sundancefisher

Is that trip available to anyone? I might be interested if that is the case. If so can you PM me some more details. Thanks

Tofinofish
02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I'd have to agree with Zeke and Walleyes.

The West Coast of Vancouver Island has had the most consistent fishing in B.C. for the last three years. (Documented by DFO staff)

People should understand that the North Coast will likely cough up the season's largest Halibut and Salmon, but overall action and numbers has more and more people looking south.

A large portion of Chinook Salmon caught along Vancouver Island are U.S. origin fish, that compliment the Canadian numbers enroute to the Fraser River etc. Mixed Stocks = More Fish

Fishing exposed water, regardless where you are, should not be taken lightly. Having a good vessel, guide, safety gear, knowledge is more important that all the fish in the water.....

Sundancefisher
02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
I have to respectfully disagree on Vancouver Island being better than the Queen Charlottes. I have fished all over both and consistantly the Queen Charlottes have paid off better.

While the cost to to the QCI is usually more, they often offer better fishing, better water, better scenery, more wildlife, a more rugged yet pampered experience.

While I admit there are cheaper places to go...they like anything else you buy is cheaper for a reason. Some is fishing, some is service, some is quality, some is remoteness (things cost more elsewhere).

Everyone has to remember that any trip can result in fish or no fish. It is called fishing and not catching for a reason.

While I have been fortunate to be on trips where almost everyone limits out...some people sometimes are not as fortunate. Maybe they didn't fish as much, maybe they chased the bite, maybe they drank to much.

Still I have to say from a lot of experience that dollar for dollar, I would spend it up in the QCI before Vancouver any day of the week.

If you are looking to go on the super cheap...there are lodges on the mainland that offer fly in fishing but you pack in your own groceries, cook your own meals, clean and package your own fish, gas your own boat (small boat) etc. Remember...cheap is cheap for a reason. If you want that...then stick to it. If you want to relax and catch fish...other lodges do that.

I have an extremely detailed sheet breaking down many components of a lodge including such things as hours spend on the water. Some Vancouver Island lodges are cheaper and are guided but only for 8 hours a day. To get to the prime spots may take 1.5 to 2 hours one way. That leaves 4 hours to fish. I am all about the fishing and in the Langara Island area you are fishing in 5 minutes if you want. That means my $ spend/hour fished is much lower than most places.

I find it very hard to fish for full price anywheres. The Scottish side refused to pay. The price I get through our social club on the group discount puts us cheaper than Vancouver Island so I can not complain.

Cheers

Sun

tbosch
02-17-2009, 11:57 AM

x2. I went with mike two years ago and had a great day on the water. I met him in the tackle shop not planning to fish there at all and ended up having the best day on the water of my whole trip. I carried on to campbell river to fish with painters lodge after that and had no luck at all, i would not suggest painters to anyone. It was an assembly line of guided boats that all fish at the same spot and rely on one good guide to get the whole group on to fish. A good day to them is if 5 good fish are landed amongst the 20 or so boats.

munsterx
02-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Yes I agree Painters in Campbell river is nice but the fishing has gotten terrible there.Better off to try somewhere else .

rmjdev
02-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Well based on last year. All and all it was a tough year fishing all a over the Coast. If you want a day chater experince I would look at Port Renfrew or Rupert. I have a boat at Renfrew and can say we caught fish but it was off. I fished out of Rupert on a buddies boat and had a little better for Salmon. If you want a lodge Experince QC Islands or River's inlet are good bets.
I like Fishing at Rivers Inlet.. The water is fairly calm and if you hit it right the fishing is great. HAving said that I went 2 times last year and had better fishing out of Renfrew. My biggest fish has come from River's and my best single day has come from Kano Inlet.

Renfrew is my favorite on the Island but the water can be rough but you will or should get fish. not sure what closures are on the books for the year. I heard Halibut is closed till further notice?

MJ

Boat builder
02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Fishing out of Quatsino the last 4 years have been great!!!

SouthAltaHunter
02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Great tips gentlemen, really appreciate the help. Tofinofish you presented some good questions to me that I need to think on a little more.

To all you fellows that have fished the northwest island what month consistently seems to produce better?

Also is it ever a problem bringing your catch back on a jet or do alot of you guys drive there?

Boatbuilder
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
you can bring it back in coolers provided by the lodge. I think you are allowed 2 packages that are 40lbs each includeing your luggage. You can bring back more but you will be charged extra for over weight. When we go through Comox or Port Hardy or Vancouver airport we are always asked where we caught all the fish.

Sundancefisher
02-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Air Canada and Westjet charge extra for each box of fish over your one checked bag limit flying out of Vancouver. Charges can vary so check ahead of time. If the boxes don't weigh a ton...try taping them together to save you a few bucks.

When booking a lodge on the island, confirm what costs are included. Many have hidden or unexpected costs. Some charge for cleaning, packaging, vacuum packaging, freezing, shipping, styrofoam boxes etc.

Some guides try really hard first thing in the trip to get you your limit and then seem miffed when you wanna keep fishing for fun. Make sure you tell the lodge your expectations as to how much time you want to fish during the daylight hours. Often anything over 8 hours is extra money.

Just a few things to consider.

When considering what time to go be forwarned that you can be skunked on any trip regardless of time of year. Last year was particularly hard but more so on Vancouver Island. July and August are typically the most expensive. Salmon runs come through in waves and as such you need to be aware that no salmon at 9 am may still mean thousands at 4 pm in the same place.

I would NOT recommend any trip of less than 5 days, 4 nights. A three day trip usually means a short first day, full second day and very short third day. Find out how many hours you can fish and divide that by the all in cost to get a feel for value. On a 3 day trip the chances of having crappy weather and in effect potentially ruin your trip is relatively high. On a five day trip typically I experience one flat calm day, 2 mild rainy days, a sunny windy day and a windy cloudy rainy day.

When researching your lodge, be aware of the variety of fishing locations, types of fish, daylight hours etc. If the lodge has one really main fishing area and it is exposed to the ocean swells and storms you may be beaten by the weather and not have your best trip.

Lodges with islands, protected waters are great...but open exposed water on the west side of either Vancouver Island or the Queen Charlottes offer the best bottom fishing.

On the first calm day drop the salmon fishing and catch your bottom fish.

Tofinofish
02-18-2009, 09:16 PM
Last year was particularly hard but more so on Vancouver Island.
I would NOT recommend any trip of less than 5 days, 4 nights. A three day trip usually means a short first day, full second day and very short third day.

Sundancefisher, I'm not sure where you get your info about Vancouver Island, but I recall very well over the past two seasons the North Coast Lodges struggling while areas on the West side of Vancouver Island provided very consistent fishing. I know many of the lodge owners/managers and this has been discussed openly with many of them since.
SouthAltaHunter; please understand that I am not trying to deter you from heading to the north coast for a fishing vacation, but I have to call a "Myth" when I see it.

SouthAltahunter; Seeing as it is your first time with your Dad for this kind of experience, I disagree with SDFisher's comment about 5 day minimum. 3 Full days would be a good first experience from what I have witnessed over the years. I can't comment on being short changed on your first and third days....that may be a time constraint issue with lodge arrival and departure?
When you book a private charter for a 10 hour day, you should get a 10 hour day.....from my experience.

nube
02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
I went for 2 days and that was good enough for me to take home enough fish and to turn a pile loose. Like I posted earlier I was fishing out of Port REnfrew which made a very easy cheap trip with lots of fish. It was a little slow on the island last year for big springs from what I heard and witnessed but we still caught a pile of fish, just nothing over 15 pounds.

dss44
02-19-2009, 06:23 AM
I went for 2 days and that was good enough for me to take home enough fish and to turn a pile loose. Like I posted earlier I was fishing out of Port REnfrew which made a very easy cheap trip with lots of fish. It was a little slow on the island last year for big springs from what I heard and witnessed but we still caught a pile of fish, just nothing over 15 pounds.

Nothing over 15lbs?? Yikes. I'm dissapointed if our guests don't go home with one over 35lbs.

Sundancefisher
02-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Sundancefisher, I'm not sure where you get your info about Vancouver Island, but I recall very well over the past two seasons the North Coast Lodges struggling while areas on the West side of Vancouver Island provided very consistent fishing. I know many of the lodge owners/managers and this has been discussed openly with many of them since.
SouthAltaHunter; please understand that I am not trying to deter you from heading to the north coast for a fishing vacation, but I have to call a "Myth" when I see it.

I beg to differ. The whole coast has suffered from some poorer than average fishing including the West Coast of Vancouver. At the same time every lodge can have it's exceptional days.

Most people have to realize that there are usually some resident chinook around that for some reason never migrated out to sea or just came back and stayed with the local food supply.

Most chinook however leave for 4 - 5 years and sometimes 6. Chinook stay in schools to a degree and when they come back to shore they migrate along the coast back to their native spawning streams. When they come back stays relatively constant. Where they hit shore depends on food and temperature and offshoreline topography.

Langara Island is incredible as the salmon pass by the island whether they are swimming on the inside passage or the west side of the QCI. That spot gets the best crack at many different runs.

When one experiences great fishing is due to multiple schools of salmon passing by and overlapping each other in effect making one big long continuous arm busting pile of fish.

Some runs are bigger size and some runs are smaller size. Any given day could have a run, or two or three.

Some days you may not have any runs. That is the benefit of a 5 day trip. If you are unfortunate enough to have a 3 day trip and your second day experiences no salmon...the salmon portion of the trip is busted. I have never fished the QCI and not had enough runs of salmon to limit out. Some years are better.

Historically though, Vancouver Island suffered from a salmon shortage the last few years like anyone else. The inside faired worse than the outside but still we are all not at the peak for salmon fishing. Therefore I have to say it is a myth that Vancouver did any better than QCI. I still have to believe QCI did better than Vancouver over the course of the whole summer (May to September) based upon my fishing experience and friends as well. I don't doubt however that Tofino experienced some days of remarkable fishing...just like QCI. The QCI is just more consistant...especially the Langara area due to fish migration patterns especially when looking at the May to Sept season.

Cheers

Sun

P.S. I would not turn down a fly fishing day for cohos at Tofino. Nice area to visit.