PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 from windows 7, have you?

Heyupduck
01-17-2016, 08:15 PM
I'm interested in hearing about upgrades from windows 7 to ten. Are you glad you did it?
Any thoughts, advice?
My computer keeps bugging me to upgrade

Mb-MBR
01-17-2016, 08:21 PM
I just my desk top a couple days age, not because I wanted to but because Windows 7 will no longer be supported by Microsoft. Still have to do lap top.

So far, takes a bit to get used to new format but am getting comfortable with it. I will say it seems faster but that could be my imagination. It doesn't take as long to fire up is one thing I've noticed for sure.

I'm not a techie so cant give you the nuts and bolts from that perspective....

Roughneck12
01-17-2016, 08:26 PM
After having a Mac for the past two years I will never own or use if I can help it a Microsoft product again.

I had an old laptop that I went from Win 7 to 10 and played with it for a bit, got frustrated and switched back. I only use that lap top sparingly.

rembo
01-17-2016, 08:29 PM
I did it and switched back. It messed up my whole system. Actually unusable.

We tried Windows 8 at the shop earlier, it was also a disaster.

7 or Vista is all I will run.

bloopbloob
01-17-2016, 08:29 PM
I hate it. It Used to take 2 min to fire up my laptop. Now it's closer to 10min. Always doing updates etc., and seems my battery is always dead now.

Shekka
01-17-2016, 08:37 PM
The answer completely depends on the computer. I.E. Currently state of the machine (is it infected with spyware or malware), programs installed (some may not be win 10 compatible), system specs (just cuz the upgrade says it will run doesn't mean it will run well).

That said, windows 10 is ok. The menu system is much nicer then win 8 and 8.1. The best option if your able, is to do a clean install of it though, but then you need to back up all your data and have your programs on hand so that you can reinstall them after the fresh install is complete.

If you just want to get rid of the annoying pop up you can use the GWX control panel program to disable it. I have easily used it on over 100 systems and the pop ups have not came back yet.

Here's the link: NOTE: please read it very carefully before using. All instructions are listed on the site and in the software.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

As for Windows 7. It will be around for sometime yet. Windows updates will still be put out for it for atleast the next 5 years I would suspect, seeing that the extended support is still going till 1-14-2020. Who knows, MS might extend that longer as well like they did with Windows XP. There are a ton of companies still running Windows 7 and I don't think they will all be jumping to win 10 anytime soon.

densa44
01-17-2016, 08:39 PM
I tried to go back but it wouldn't allow it. I had to take the computer to the shop and pay to get back to where I was.

Just wait, I'm pretty sure there will soon be "son of win 10"

Salavee
01-17-2016, 08:45 PM
I suggest you keep Win 7 and avoid the heartaches of Win 10. There's a reason they are giving it away. Win 7 will have full support for a few years yet.

Big_Willy
01-17-2016, 08:46 PM
I made the upgrade to Windows 10 and like it.

Those with older machines or little on-board RAM may encounter performance issues upon upgrading to Window 10.

I have a 5 year old AMD A6 desktop with 8 GB of RAM. I could add more RAM but really haven't felt it necessary. The A6 chip has served me well and still has some viable life ahead.

Desktop computers are relatively cheap and you can extend their usable life by adding RAM and external storage. But there comes a point when their performance drops off and you have to bite the bullet...

-Willy

Taco
01-17-2016, 08:51 PM
I have a desktop and tablet both running Win10 and both upgraded from Win 7 Pro. Couple of minor administrative software issues with the tablet that were easily resolved with a phone call to the software developer. The OS itself is ok, you just have to get used to it.

Bonescreek
01-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Upgrading to windows 10 is no problem far as will everything I have
now keep running.

But there is one side affect.

If you use an IPAD and you a dont have a EPhone instead. (old school).
All your menus will be washed out so no one can read them.
This makes all your old apps work with the way.
IPods, Ipads, Ebooks, Elooks. Etc.

So long storey short, put all your 401ks into the future of Bruce Hall.
Mouse Man rules. :sHa_shakeshout:

beltburner
01-17-2016, 08:58 PM
win 10 is ok but the edge browser sucks. takes forever to get favorites up, boots me out at will etc

Bonescreek
01-17-2016, 08:59 PM
wonder if anyone has figured out yet that the cloud owns your
data ?

So if you want it back when they go down like you have to buy it.
Back, again a 2nd time ?.

The fine lines.

People are not like sheep.
Sheep have at least halve a brain.
People have less than that.

LOL why do you think they chose the word "cloud" to call it
to begin with ?

"Cloud", "Smoke", "Dreams"

"Poof".
lol. not really.

Selkirk
01-17-2016, 09:31 PM
. . . Windows 7 will no longer be supported by Microsoft . . .

Hogwash! :2mo5pow:
Windows 7 will receive extended support, through to Jan. 2020 ... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/lifecycle

Until then, if they want to take it from me, they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. :fighting0030:

Mac

Twisted Canuck
01-17-2016, 09:58 PM
I went from Vista which I loved, to Windows 8 which I hate....no way in hell I'm going to go to 10 now that I finally got a grip on 8. Next step is going to be a Mac I'm pretty sure.

JimPS
01-17-2016, 10:32 PM
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/fitted/620x/this-windows-10-joke-just-won-the-internet-491641-4.jpg

There's a sucker born every minute.

ak77
01-17-2016, 10:48 PM
Google how to stop your laptop from bugging you about win10. Problem solved. I wouldn't worry about end of the support - half of the time major updates break something rather than fixing it. Laptop still runs 8.1 - came with it. Home desktop has 7. Haven't ran winupdate on either of them since I installed win7/unpacked laptop with win8.1.
I had a chance to poke around the system of someone who went up from win7 to 10. As an "advanced user" hated it. For the 99% of the end users it won't matter - different interface takes some getting used to, but in the end it does what's supposed to, and they are happy. It is possible to make it look and run as Win7 with a program - (check out Classic Shell - now for win10 :) ), but what's the point of destroying perfectly running windows 7 to upgrade to win10, and then put extra effort to make it look like win7?
Only way i'm getting Win10 is with the new system, and even then i'll try installing win7 first, and if no problems with drivers - i'll probably be running win7.

Selkirk
01-17-2016, 11:01 PM
. . . Next step is going to be a Mac I'm pretty sure.

I just may do the same ^, in 2020 when support for Windows 7 expires.

Time will tell.

Mac

PartTimeHunter
01-18-2016, 04:36 AM
I am giving Linux a try. So far so good. I was using Open Office and Fire Fox anyway. Got tired of the never ending upgrade/updates that cost another couple hundred bucks. Yeah I know the 10 update is free for now. With the Microsoft track record, if they are giving it away there has to be something wrong with it.

Heyupduck
01-18-2016, 05:26 AM
Just want to say thanks for all who replied

ETOWNCANUCK
01-18-2016, 08:00 AM
I upgraded to windows 10 last week because it was free last week
My laptop is nearly 6 years old.
I think it messed it up.

Good excuse to get a new one

Stinky Buffalo
01-18-2016, 08:16 AM
I upgraded to windows 10 last week because it was free last week
My laptop is nearly 6 years old.
I think it messed it up.

Good excuse to get a new one

You can always turn it into a Chromebook! :D

One thing to note - before doing any major upgrades like this, ensure you have your factory installation disks for your machine (to install the OS, drivers, recovery partitions etc.) On many out-of-the-box machines you have to burn them yourself, using a utility on the machine (and in many cases, you can only run it once - until the next fresh factory install again).

At least that way you can go back to what you had, if you don't like Windows 10.

So far, I'm okay with it - did a fresh install/build with a new HDD over Christmas on a four-year-old desktop machine, and other than a few sill quirks (VPN settings etc.) it's not been too bad, overall. I really don't like how, by default, it looks like it's trying to constantly sell you something.

Parker Hale
01-18-2016, 08:24 AM
I tried to do the update so my computer would stop bugging me about it, the message I got back was my system is to old to upgrade. I guess it will wait til I get a new computer, so possibly never.

Stinky Buffalo
01-18-2016, 08:30 AM
I tried to do the update so my computer would stop bugging me about it, the message I got back was my system is to old to upgrade. I guess it will wait til I get a new computer, so possibly never.

Was the error message complaining about your processor not being supported (PAE/NX/SSE2 issue)?

ETOWNCANUCK
01-18-2016, 08:39 AM

I don't even know what a chrome book is.
It was only end of 2014 that I got into Apple products.

I have an iPhone and a iPad.

I enjoy them greatly.

Might be pulling the trigger on either a Mac or MacBook

I might be done with PC as well

ETOWNCANUCK
01-18-2016, 08:44 AM

One thing to note - before doing any major upgrades like this, ensure you have your factory installation disks for your machine (to install the OS, drivers, recovery partitions etc.) On many out-of-the-box machines you have to burn them yourself, using a utility on the machine (and in many cases, you can only run it once - until the next fresh factory install again).

At least that way you can go back to what you had, if you don't like Windows 10.

So far, I'm okay with it - did a fresh install/build with a new HDD over Christmas on a four-year-old desktop machine, and other than a few sill quirks (VPN settings etc.) it's not been too bad, overall. I really don't like how, by default, it looks like it's trying to constantly sell you something.

That I do have.

I do have the restoration disks. Have not, not backed up my systems like that.

But with a nearly 6 year old laptop, that was barebones to begin with, I think it's mostly the hardware having a difficult time running the software.

I was having issues before upgrading, which is why I did it to begin with

silverdoctor
01-18-2016, 10:10 AM
There is a saying that people should burn into their brains...

If you are not paying for a product - then you ARE the product.

Microsoft is pushing windows 10 hard and heavy... The company has given away billions of dollars worth of operating system. Great business model isn't it? Microsoft held out on the privacy issue for the longest time, now they are jumping in with both feet.

When you do the "express" install, by default you're opting in to everything - I urge you to read up on windows 10 and privacy - or lack there of. You can opt out at the moment, but I have the feeling microsoft is going to force the privacy settings before long.

Remember, the operating system isn't yours anymore - Microsoft will feel free to do with it as they please. You won't be able to stop windows updates - they've already changed the business model for domain users.

New processors won't support windows 7 or 8 anymore - so you're not going to have a choice but to run 10 if you want to stay in the windows world. How badly do you want to hang onto windows 7? There will be more changes coming to their "policy" soon enough, and it won't be to suit you as the user.

Viral and malware infections seem to be the root cause of issues. If you are going to run the update, do check your computer for viruses or malware first. Combofix from bleepingcomputer.com is a wonderful tool. ADWcleaner works well, malwarebytes is free - do not depend on your installed antivirus software.

32-40win
01-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Still on 7 here. It appears the last windows update got rid of the full screen popup on startup, that was a pain in the butt til now. Just getting a little blue flag in the corner that disappears in 10 sec or so. If you have done all the Win7 updates you will have a bunch of Win10 pre-install stuff set up in your computer now, anyhow. My pc works too well for me at present, to want to do the Win10 changeup now. I can wait a few yrs to do it, or til; I have to get a new computer.

rocpilefsj
01-18-2016, 11:46 AM
I absolutely detest windows 10, I cannot update or install anything at the moment because it says there is an installation already in progress, have tried all the fixes offered online to no avail...

CNP
01-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Went to 10 from an 8 laptop and a 7 pc. Installed and works great in both instances. Like said earlier, it depends on what the status of your individual computer is BEFORE you install 10. Installing 10 is not going to fix any of your pre-existing problems.

Scottmisfits
01-18-2016, 01:39 PM
I have 7 on my old laptop. The new one came with 10. The new laptop isn't great by any means, $350 Costco HP, but it runs Windows 10 just fine. I'm not totally sold on it but I am finding it just as easy if not easier than 7. I have not and will not do the "cloud" but so far I am liking 10.

rmatei
01-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Installed 10 over 7 and it was seamless save for a few setting adjustments. Only advice I can give is to make sure you have 8gb ram and a pretty fast processor, if not stay with 7, the upgrade is really no big deal.