PDA

View Full Version : Glass shower door.

brslk
01-17-2016, 08:46 PM
I wish I had pictures to post of what I'm talking about but my camera is at work.
I'll add pics tomorrow.
I have a custom walk in shower with half the glass being fixed and the other half opens.
The problem is that out of the blue, the doors bottom edge is scraping on the threshold.
There has to be some way to adjust the door but I can't see it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Sundancefisher
01-17-2016, 08:52 PM
I wish I had pictures to post of what I'm talking about but my camera is at work.
I'll add pics tomorrow.
I have a custom walk in shower with half the glass being fixed and the other half opens.
The problem is that out of the blue, the doors bottom edge is scraping on the threshold.
Anyone have any ideas?

Who did the work. Likely it is warranteed. I just had a hinge replaced under warrantee. The hinges are clamped. Likely it is loose.

beltburner
01-17-2016, 08:55 PM
usually there is a couple screws that adjust the door on one of the hinges

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-17-2016, 09:00 PM
Is it frameless 10mm glass? The hinges aren't adjustable. Likely the curb has swelled and lifted up, scraping the bottom of the glass door.

Kim473
01-18-2016, 05:30 AM
The hinges probably just clamp onto the glass and not go through it. With another set of hands maybe losen the screws and lift the glass up then retighten. Becarefull not to break glass by tightening the screws too tight. Some good silicon acts like glue also.

Grizzly Adams
01-18-2016, 07:28 AM
These things are damned heavy, check the top rail supports for sagging.

Grizz

wildwoods
01-18-2016, 07:53 AM
The hinges probably just clamp onto the glass and not go through it. With another set of hands maybe losen the screws and lift the glass up then retighten. Becarefull not to break glass by tightening the screws too tight. Some good silicon acts like glue also.
bang on

Sundancefisher
01-18-2016, 08:43 AM
Simple one to check also.

I the glass grinding or is it a plastic piece.

Sometimes there is a plastic moulding at the bottom. Sometimes you just need to push it back on.

Xbolt7mm
01-18-2016, 08:48 AM
I'll add pics tomorrow.
Anyone have any ideas?

When you take the frame apart, which you have to do to take the door off, the frame is adjustable with stainless steel washers.

Xbolt7mm
01-18-2016, 08:50 AM
When you take the frame apart, which you have to do to take the door off, the frame is adjustable with stainless steel washers.

That is if it's a pin style and not hinges

RBI
01-18-2016, 09:55 AM
If it's a system/style that you are able to adjust , I would highly recommend the use of cedar shims to elevate the door while somebody helps lift it . They will hold the door exactly where you want it when you tighten hinges back up , and then when you need to take them out , if you can't wiggle them out , you can cut them very easily .

But I think Sundancerfisher 's answer is the best first place to start .

Kurt505
01-18-2016, 10:12 AM
If a frameless glass door and its scrapping, first off STOP using the door unless you want to clean up a big mess and pay for a new door + install.

If you want to tackle it yourself, here's what you do,
As stated above, get a cedar shim, piece of wood, piece of plastic, rubber, even cardboard under the corner that's rubbing to stop the glass from making direct contact.

Close the door so that it's almost closed but there is enough room to fit your hand in there.

Loosen off the top Allen key screw in the top hing.

Lift up on the edge of the glass that's rubbing.

Tighten the heck out of the Allen key.

While your at it, check to make sure your bottom hinge is tight.

If the problem persists, I am guessing that you only have two hinges and your door is too heavy and you may need a new door with 3 hinges.

nast70
01-18-2016, 12:00 PM
The op stated they cant see how to adjust the door. Could the hinges have a decorative cover hinding the screws?

pgavey
01-18-2016, 02:08 PM
Be very careful, we have much the same one purchased from costco. One night at 11.pm we heard this large BANG I thought a car had ran into our house. It was the slider door exploding, We were fortunate not to have been in the bathroom when it happened. There were sheets of glass everywhere. Two 15 incl long pieces were sticking out of the toilet. It is tempered glass and is supposed to shatter in cubes like a automobile glass, but this one didn't.
According to Costco it was installed incorrectly and was applying pressure to the glass. As it turned out they paid to have a new one installed. I noticed the new one has a support under the fixed door that was missing on the original.

Sundancefisher
01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
The op stated they cant see how to adjust the door. Could the hinges have a decorative cover hinding the screws?

My hinge uses small Allen keys for adjusting. On the bottom.

brslk
01-18-2016, 05:39 PM

Nailed it. Took about 5 minutes to fix.

Thanks Kim and everyone else who helped.