PDA

View Full Version : Molly's Trailer Deal Went Through!! -Update

molly
01-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Well, I feel really dumb admitting this but here goes :(...We have been trying to sell our fifth wheel and on Saturday a guy and his son came out, looked at it and we agreed on a price. They said they would bring the cash with them this coming weekend when they borrow a truck to haul it to a permanent site. They seem legit and I have their name, address, looked them up online, etc. But I made the mistake of giving them the signed Bill of Sale, on which I checked off Paid in Full. I know...:confused: The Hublet told me I should not have done that, and I called the registry office and she told me I should not have done that either as they could now register it if they wanted to. I have sent an email and a text regarding what day to have them come out, but have had no reply.

Is there anything I can do to protect ourselves from potentially having our trailer hauled away without getting any money? The registry gal said to chain it up so no one can hook onto it, but there was nothing else I could do. The dad said not to worry, he is trustworthy, when they left as they said they would bring the money when they come to get it. And maybe it will be fine. I just feel so stupid, and now I am worried! :(

Ceilidh69
01-18-2016, 11:06 AM
Well, I feel really dumb admitting this but here goes :(...We have been trying to sell our fifth wheel and on Saturday a guy and his son came out, looked at it and we agreed on a price. They said they would bring the cash with them this coming weekend when they borrow a truck to haul it to a permanent site. They seem legit and I have their name, address, looked them up online, etc. But I made the mistake of giving them the signed Bill of Sale, on which I checked off Paid in Full. I know...:confused: The Hublet told me I should not have done that, and I called the registry office and she told me I should not have done that either as they could now register it if they wanted to. I have sent an email and a text regarding what day to have them come out, but have had no reply.

Is there anything I can do to protect ourselves from potentially having our trailer hauled away without getting any money? The registry gal said to chain it up so no one can hook onto it, but there was nothing else I could do. The dad said not to worry, he is trustworthy, when they left as they said they would bring the money when they come to get it. And maybe it will be fine. I just feel so stupid, and now I am worried! :(

Move it to your neighbours house.

elkdump
01-18-2016, 11:08 AM

I personally would be towing your trailer ASAP to a Secure location out of sight ,
Then personally attending address of purchaser to recover either payment in FULL or the receipt you erroneously produced ,,,,

Artist
01-18-2016, 11:08 AM

Yup - do what registry says - chain it up, and have a few very large friends there with you when the guy comes to pick it up. :) Don't assume the worst, but prepare for it. (Towing to a different location is an option too, although that might seem a bit wierd when the guy does show up with full payment).

Pixel Shooter
01-18-2016, 11:09 AM
Lesson learned. Always hate it when it's the hard way. The good news it is in your possession! Secondly if rcmp ever involved u can provide and show no payment made and keep record of who u have contacted trying to rectify. Any chance u have somewhere else u can park the trailer in the interim? Just a thought. Sure it will all work out

bat119
01-18-2016, 11:10 AM
they would have to be real scumbags to pull something like that. Move it to a friends until they come back with the money, if they ask where is it? I dunno it was here a while ago?

Dog_River
01-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Chain it up and park a vehicle in front of it. If they don't have the cash in hand then just don't let them pick it up.

They may file a suite but probably not I am guessing. You dont have to let them on your property. They would have to go through the courts to get access.

Who's name is the title in ?

Dog_River

Twisted Canuck
01-18-2016, 11:11 AM
I was looking at a vehicle for my son, and asked for the registration to do a lein search. The lady gave me a signed bill of sale, with blank buyer and sale price info, and the keys to test drive....was her husband's vehicle and he was out of town. I could have basically stolen the vehicle for a dollar, left a loonie in the mail box and driven away and registered it. Of course we didn't do that, and I ended up not buying it anyway, but I did tell the lady what she had done was not very safe (she was from somewhere in east Europe and didn't speak English very well, but a very nice lady)....and I explained how she should do it for future potential buyers.

So Kelly, let's hope your deal is safe as well, and that your buyer is honest like that. Hope it works out for you, and I think you learned a lesson, and glad you shared it here for others to learn as well. It happens probably more than you would think. TC

molly
01-18-2016, 11:18 AM
Thanks, guys! I hope it will turn out OK also, but I think what we will do is park our truck in front of it, and chain it, too. I googled the dad and he is on LinkedIn, a professional engineer or something, the address and phone number match also. Perhaps they are having second thoughts and that is why they are not replying! I could not run the fridge for them as it was -20 at the time, but they seemed OK with that.

Yes, lesson learned!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Drewski Canuck
01-18-2016, 12:39 PM
You say you have their name, and you obviously have your serial number.

I do not do Creditors rights work, but the key to the problem is registering your Security in the Personal Property.

Go register a PURCHASE MONEY SECURITY INTEREST (PMSI) at the Personal Property Security Registry of Alberta. This should be available to you at a Registry Office. DO THIS NOW.

You then have a priority registration against any future purchasers. If you have to take recovery efforts against a bona fide arms length Purchaser who bought it off of your Purchaser, they had notice of your claim. Otherwise you get a paper Judgment from the Provincial Court of Alberta and you are left with chasing a rogue in the worst case scenario.

Drewski

RescueDiver
01-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Chain it up and park a vehicle in front of it. If they don't have the cash in hand then just don't let them pick it up.

They may file a suite but probably not I am guessing. You dont have to let them on your property. They would have to go through the courts to get access.

Who's name is the title in ?

Dog_River

Agreed....even if you marked paid in full, if it ended up in court you could easily prove they didn't pay (if it ended up in court) ....like Dog_River says...chain it and park something in front of it so no one can take it until you have payment. Even a RV lock would probably do.

elkdump
01-18-2016, 12:54 PM
I would Exocet that being in possession of a dated and signed bill of sale including the serial number of a particular unit , one could use that bill of sale for proof of ownership and use the unit for collateral and/ or get a loan against title ? Hmmmm

coreya3212
01-18-2016, 01:02 PM
Agreed....even if you marked paid in full, if it ended up in court you could easily prove they didn't pay (if it ended up in court) ....like Dog_River says...chain it and park something in front of it so no one can take it until you have payment. Even a RV lock would probably do.

I am a little confused by both this post and the one quoted. How would you easily prove they didn't pay when they have a signed bill of sale? Seems to me they have clear proof they paid, ( even though they shouldn't ).

elkdump
01-18-2016, 01:05 PM
I am a little confused by both this post and the one quoted. How would you easily prove they didn't pay when they have a signed bill of sale? Seems to me they have clear proof they paid, ( even though they shouldn't ).

lol, I wondered also , what does " paid in full mean in English " :thinking-006:

Foot Stomper
01-18-2016, 01:05 PM
Have you asked the buyer to give it back?
Perhaps it's that easy??

If he doesn't or won't, then you should follow Drewski Canuk's advise immediately. IMHO

Okotokian
01-18-2016, 01:13 PM
Agreed....even if you marked paid in full, if it ended up in court you could easily prove they didn't pay

How could you prove they didn't pay when they have a receipt signed by the owner that they did pay in full??

"I paid in cash. I have a receipt. If they didn't deposit the cash in their bank, that doesn't prove anything".

Anyway, come back on the weekend and tell us how it went. Hopefully you got honest people.

petew
01-18-2016, 01:14 PM
Put panic button away, wait till next weekend when he is supposed to come. In meantime disable it/park in front of it etc. so it can not be pulled.
Crack cold beer and enjoy life.

gmcmax05
01-18-2016, 01:18 PM
IDK, if these guys were looking to rip someone off, I think they would have aimed a little higher than an 30 yr old $2000 trailer lol

RavYak
01-18-2016, 01:26 PM
I made this mistake with a car I was selling. We agreed on price but the guy had just been called back to work and couldn't get plates(due to the time of day) and lived a couple hours away so I offered to deliver it and they only wanted to pay half up front. I agreed but also gave them bill of sale that I had already checked paid in full on...

Fortunately they paid me in full after delivery so hopefully it works the same for you. I will make sure to never say paid in full unless it is actually paid in full though... If the guys seemed genuine then it will probably work out, I wouldn't think that most people would want to deal with the headaches and legal work necessary for this kind of scam.

If they try to screw you over then I am not sure how that would work. If it is a valuable trailer I would think you have a better chance of claiming you didn't receive payment(easier to prove say 20k didn't change hands then a small amount). You would probably have to get lawyers etc involved if they decided to fight it though and that might get ugly. You might be better off to threaten with legal action and if they won't pay or go away then offer them some money to "sell it back to you" and leave you alone. Make sure you get a new bill of sale though and not just the old one back.

molly
01-18-2016, 01:39 PM
Well, I think what we will do is chain it up, and park in front of it. I will keep trying to contact them about what day they are coming, and if they still do not reply, that would suggest they are not interested. The registry said I would have to file a lien against it to prevent anyone registering it, but as their plan was supposedly to haul it directly to a permanent site, they may not even bother, although they would have to have a plate of some kind on it...I agree that it is not much money for someone to attempt fraud, but it is to us! :)

If I cannot get hold of them, would the deal be considered dead and we could then be free to sell it to someone else?

abenaki-warrior
01-18-2016, 01:52 PM
Need my home defense 12 ga?

RescueDiver
01-18-2016, 01:59 PM

If it was to go to court the buyer would have to show proof of payment and seller proof they didn't get payment.....easily done via bank transactions in and out...or cheque cashed or not ect.....

Just because you have a sales contract with a box check paid in full doesn't prove it actually was in the eyes of the court. Someone can easily forge this type of document.

In this situation....he comes to try and get it....it is chained up and can't take it....he says I have a paid in full receipt....you don't give it to him...he takes you to court....court will ask for proof other then the sale contract because Molly will say in her defence that he didn't pay.

I am not saying it is ok and or you should feel comfortable to mark paid in full......just it isn't as bad as you may think and that you don't have options.

kevinhits
01-18-2016, 02:19 PM
IDK, if these guys were looking to rip someone off, I think they would have aimed a little higher than an 30 yr old $2000 trailer lol

Exactly:)

HoytCRX32
01-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Sad that we have to be this cautious these days.

Okotokian
01-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Who came up with the bill of sale idea? If it was them, I'd be more worried. If it was you, and they said "OK", I'd be less worried. If I offered to come back with the money and the seller offered me a bill of sale, I'd say "great" and think that they would be unlikely to sell it out from under me while I'm getting the money.

If these guys are serious what you should have done is taken a deposit to show their seriousness and hold the trailer for them, and given them a receipt for the deposit only.

molly
01-18-2016, 04:45 PM
Who came up with the bill of sale idea? If it was them, I'd be more worried. If it was you, and they said "OK", I'd be less worried. If I offered to come back with the money and the seller offered me a bill of sale, I'd say "great" and think that they would be unlikely to sell it out from under me while I'm getting the money.

If these guys are serious what you should have done is taken a deposit to show their seriousness and hold the trailer for them, and given them a receipt for the deposit only.

It was me...and I should have insisted on a deposit of some kind! And the Hublet said he will be paying much closer attention from now on!! :)

Immigrant
01-18-2016, 04:55 PM
The last thing the "scammer" ( if he is one) will do is to take you to court to get a trailer he did not pay for. Lock it up and prevent them from hooking up to it. You still have posession. Keep it that way till he pays in full

ETOWNCANUCK
01-18-2016, 05:15 PM
I'd be worried if it was them that talked you into the bill of sale.

If you were actually coerced into it by them.

If it was simply your mistake, maybe they are unaware.

Dewey Cox
01-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Don't worry about it.
Park in front of it for now, and get paid when they come to get it.
Don't cause yourself extra stress about a problem that doesn't actually exist yet.

RavYak
01-18-2016, 05:28 PM
If it was simply your mistake, maybe they are unaware.

Exactly and part of the reason not to badger them. If you keep phoning them etc they will think something is fishy. They might think something is wrong with it, that it is stolen or who knows what else if you keep insisting they get back to you and come pick it up.

You agreed to have them to come pick it up and pay for it on the weekend. Block it so they can't come sneak it away and then wait for them to come pick it up. Judging by everything you said I highly doubt they are trying to scam you.

Scotty454
01-18-2016, 05:44 PM
Don't worry about it.
Don't cause yourself extra stress about a problem that doesn't actually exist yet.

Good advice :)

Making a mountain out of a mole Hill for now. A truck parked in front of it is all I would bother with for the moment.

coastalhunter
01-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Park in front of it. Those ball-locks don't do **** all for security.

schmedlap
01-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Exactly and part of the reason not to badger them. If you keep phoning them etc they will think something is fishy. They might think something is wrong with it, that it is stolen or who knows what else if you keep insisting they get back to you and come pick it up.

You agreed to have them to come pick it up and pay for it on the weekend. Block it so they can't come sneak it away and then wait for them to come pick it up. Judging by everything you said I highly doubt they are trying to scam you.
The usual "problem" is that in order to get a plate, etc. you need the Bill of Sale. In order to get that, if you need to pay in full, you make one trip to look and make the deal, a second to bring the cash or draft, and then, after you get the plate, a third to pick up. If you are a long way from the nearest registry office, it is "painful". Also, anyone with half a brain will want to do a PPR search on the owner name and serial number before they pay (unless you have a very recent clear one on hand to give them), as, if there are any liens, arrangements need to be made to ensure all or part of the price is actually directed to pay out the liens ( do not ever just trust the owner to do so!).

What I have done is, so long as I get a decent cash deposit (no less than $500 on anything like this) is give them the Bill of Sale, but also prepare a side document, signed by both sides with witnesses, which I keep (along with the keys, etc.) that sets out that they have made a deposit of $x towards the full price of $y, and can receive possession and keys, etc., upon paying the balance, by cash or bank draft, by z date, failing which the deposit is forfeited (damages for taking it off the market in the interim) and the deal is off. And then I disable the vehicle/trailer (by whatever means are appropriate, and including removing my plate) until they return with the moolah. If they won't agree, they are scamming, there is no B of S, and I tell them the item will remain on the market until they actually return with the cash. That way, even if they manage to transfer registration, it will be easily reversible if they do not carry through, and you will not give up possession until paid. I've never yet had the buyer not return with the cash on the agreed schedule.

I once had an aggrieved seller of an old beater (luckily not much $ involved - I seem to recall it was $1500) to my former scumbag neighbour show up at my door wondering if I knew him and where he and the car were. I had seen the car, and he had gotten it registered, because the fool, who did not know him at all, took his ordinary personal cheque, which bounced, of course (it seemed his cheques and credit were made of rubber, given the several times the bailiffs showed up looking for various vehicles and other property), but not for about a week. I never saw the car again, from which I assume the seller had to spend the time, effort, and $ to reverse the deal and get it back.

Most people are honest and just "unsophisticated" as to such, and I don't think, in the end, these guys will rip you off. But .... unfortunately one needs to keep their head up these days. Its hard to do when, maybe, one really needs to sell the thing, and there are not a lot of buyers - that is when the scammers' have their day - and we are going to see lots of this over the next while in the current climate relative to things like trailers, atv's, boats - the "toys".

The "good news" for the moment is that because of the very low canuck-buck , US buyers are flocking to the auctions, and the prices on all the good toys and vehicles, and industrial and farm equipment (in $CAN) are higher than a year ago - its all going back across the border. If these guys do not follow through, and you need to sell it quickly, and it is "good", now is a great time to take it to auction.

molly
01-18-2016, 08:24 PM

Thanks again to all of you guys for the great advice and comments...I sent an email last night and a text this morning, as I was going to have to reschedule an appointment to accommodate them, so I will not send anymore until late this week. They were prompt before, however. So, we will park in front of it, and I will let you know what happens! :)

I am still wondering when I can legally put the trailer back up for sale, if they do not respond or show up. Someone told me that this is a grey area and the trailer would have to remain on my property (well, where we live...) for a certain amount of time first??

Artist
01-18-2016, 09:02 PM

^^^bang on.

morinj
01-18-2016, 10:11 PM
Sell it to another family member and have them register it pronto!!! Only do this if you are very concerned, because the costs incurred!!! You will no longer own the trailer and, you can post again!!

rocpilefsj
01-18-2016, 10:39 PM
I have done this a few times in the past when purchasing something, acquired a bill of sale to register and insure the item and then pick the item up with money in hand, after viewing it initially of course. We would then write payed in full on both copies and both sign and away I go. I think a lot of people are reading too much into this, good to be cautious but as you said it was your idea not his. Do what you need to do to secure it and if you haven't heard back by the agreed time repost it for sale. No need to get too worked up about it!

Selkirk
01-18-2016, 11:42 PM
.http://s3.otherpeoplespixels.com/sites/1468/assets/ipkFOmeLAy0T9C9u.jpg

It doesn't sound like you're dealing with shysters, so I'm guessing it will all work out in the end.

And 'Yes' ... lesson learned ;)

Mac

jtiwana
01-19-2016, 12:15 AM
Contrary to popular belief, most of the population is honest and does not want to harm/steal from others. Have trust, I still do my business on handshakes and I have been fine till now.
Do you know how road speeds are set. The scientific way is to set the speed at 80 percentile, meaning the speed at which 80% of drivers will travel. It is assumed that most people will do rational things even if there is a choice.

Same goes for other things in life.

Stop worrying.
It will all be fine.

HunterDave
01-19-2016, 12:25 AM
I believe, and based on my experience, that the vast majority of people are honest. Although you may have signed the bill of sale before receiving the payment, I don't think that too many people would try to take advantage of that, particularly someone who is a professional with steady employment. Perhaps it'd be prudent to secure the trailer, but I wouldn't lose any sleep about it. If he happened to show up at your house to try to take the trailer, just call the Police and report him as trespassing. The sale of the trailer is a civil matter and when the Police remove him from the property they will explain to him that he'll have to go to court to sort things out. It's not in their job description to sort that stuff out. Besides, the guy would have to be a fool to try to pull something like that off when you know where he lives....lol. With some people I don't think that would end well for him.

Kim473
01-19-2016, 07:32 AM
Don't worry about it.

X2

Park in front of it and don't worry.

If they do take it, Give us a complete discription and all AO people will make there life miserable. 500 people droping in on there campsite everyday, I'm sure would be enough for them to return it.

I have to ask though. Why would you even think about giving them a BOS if they didn't give you any money at all ? Lesson learned. I bet you never do that again.

58thecat
01-19-2016, 07:49 AM
Oh my, stressing out for no reason, assuming things makes an .... Well you know the saying. Breath and see what transpires, not all people are out to screw people over. Stop listening to the news and reading the papers, there are good people out there!

Now on the other side of this equation that went wrong...don't do that again!:)

molly
01-19-2016, 08:25 AM
X2

Park in front of it and don't worry.

If they do take it, Give us a complete discription and all AO people will make there life miserable. 500 people droping in on there campsite everyday, I'm sure would be enough for them to return it.

I have to ask though. Why would you even think about giving them a BOS if they didn't give you any money at all ? Lesson learned. I bet you never do that again.

Oh my, stressing out for no reason, assuming things makes an .... Well you know the saying. Breath and see what transpires, not all people are out to screw people over. Stop listening to the news and reading the papers, there are good people out there!

Now on the other side of this equation that went wrong...don't do that again!:)

Yep. Lesson learned!!! :) Still waiting to hear back from them...I can't believe how many folks have read this, haha! Will keep you updated...

58thecat
01-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Yep. Lesson learned!!! :) Still waiting to hear back from them...I can't believe how many folks have read this, haha! Will keep you updated...

That's because we all did something along that lines once in our lifetime...live and learn, if it is good repeat if it was bad don't repeat...:)

beaver hunter
01-19-2016, 08:36 AM
Usually if someone has to tell me they are "trustworthy" it gives me more reason not to trust them....

BPM
01-19-2016, 09:52 AM
It'll work out in the end :)

Now we just need to convince you to amend the bill of sale to include the word Hublet as part of the trailer so when it sells the word is gone as well lol. It's as bad as Bae.

What does hublet mean? Cross between Hubby and Kidlet? I wouldn't want to be referred to as a Hublet. "Hi nice to meet you, I'm Molly and this is my Hublet Bruce, or Lance or Julian."

lol Just a harmless poke. Just always see it in your threads you post and figure it was odd. Trust me, My "Wifey" has called me much much worse hahaha.

molly
01-19-2016, 10:04 AM
It'll work out in the end :)

Now we just need to convince you to amend the bill of sale to include the word Hublet as part of the trailer so when it sells the word is gone as well lol. It's as bad as Bae.

What does hublet mean? Cross between Hubby and Kidlet? I wouldn't want to be referred to as a Hublet. "Hi nice to meet you, I'm Molly and this is my Hublet Bruce, or Lance or Julian."

lol Just a harmless poke. Just always see it in your threads you post and figure it was odd. Trust me, My "Wifey" has called me much much worse hahaha.

It means "small husband", hahaha! As in, smaller than me...:) Which most people are, sadly. I add the "let" suffix to many words! Ducklet, birdlet, doglet, etc. Think "piglet" !! I guess I could call him "hubby". Or I guess I could just introduce him now...Meet Jim!! :)

gitrdun
01-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Ahhh! dear molly, you had a blond moment...:sHa_sarcasticlol: But then again, maybe not, it was simply your trusty nature kicking in. As such, keep with it and you'll be rewarded with a smooth no problem transaction. I would still park in front of it just to be safe. When they come to pick it up, just tell a white lie and that you wanted to tell them something that they should know about it. By my own experiences, there are far more good people out there than bad ones . It's just that the bad ones get all the publicity.

molly
01-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Ahhh! dear molly, you had a blond moment...:sHa_sarcasticlol: But then again, maybe not, it was simply your trusty nature kicking in. As such, keep with it and you'll be rewarded with a smooth no problem transaction. I would still park in front of it just to be safe. When they come to pick it up, just tell a white lie and that you wanted to tell them something that they should know about it. By my own experiences, there are far more good people out there than bad ones . It's just that the bad ones get all the publicity.

Well, git, I dyed my hair chestnut yesterday!!! :) Not the color it showed on the box either! I wish I could blame it on my hair color...thanks for the advice, though! Thanks to all, again.
If these guys don't show up Saturday, I look forward to being flooded with offers by Monday...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

elkdump
01-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Well, git, I dyed my hair chestnut yesterday!!! :) Not the color it showed on the box either! I wish I could blame it on my hair color...thanks for the advice, though! Thanks to all, again.
If these guys don't show up Saturday, I look forward to being flooded with offers by Monday...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I'll take it if they don't, but I'll need a bill of sale , Paid in Full ,

before I look at it ,,,

molly
01-19-2016, 04:45 PM
I'll take it if they don't, but I'll need a bill of sale , Paid in Full ,

before I look at it ,,,

No problemo!! :sHa_sarcasticlol: Just EMT the money before I send you the Bill of Sale!

RavYak
01-19-2016, 04:46 PM
No problemo!! :sHa_sarcasticlol: Just EMT the money before I send you the Bill of Sale!

Do you take monopoly money?

qwert
01-19-2016, 04:47 PM
snip
If these guys don't show up Saturday, I look forward to being flooded with offers by Monday.

And the next buyer may discover,
that the trailer is no longer registered to you, and
it has been re-sold and re-registered to another new owner, and/or
there is a lien registered by someone claiming it has been used as loan collateral.

Or,
You may get lucky, and the original buyer may offer you 1/2 or less of the original agreed price, or
may offer to sell it back to you for a significant 'consideration'.

Just be very thankful that it is just an old trailer and not your house,
(land title theft can and does happen, often without the longtime owners realizing there may be a problem until the new owners show up with the Sheriff).
or
a vehicle on which you still owe money, which you placed for sale with a consignment yard that has sold it and is now declaring bankruptcy, or has just disappeared.

As boxers say, "Protect yourself at all times".

Good Luck, YMMV.

Knot Rite
01-19-2016, 07:50 PM
Do you take monopoly money?

At today's exchange rate the monopoly dollar is actually worth more than the Canadian dollar. :scared0018:

Bobby

waterninja
01-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Molly, Molly, Molly. I honestly believe that you are getting bent out of shape for nothing. Stop stressing about this. Unless this fellow set out to rip you off, it will all work out. He probably needed some paperwork to get some ins. and registration for the drive home, and you obliged him without thinking.
Let us know how this plays out.

molly
01-19-2016, 08:50 PM
Molly, Molly, Molly. I honestly believe that you are getting bent out of shape for nothing. Stop stressing about this. Unless this fellow set out to rip you off, it will all work out. He probably needed some paperwork to get some ins. and registration for the drive home, and you obliged him without thinking.
Let us know how this plays out.

Well, you may be right but...he still has not returned my messages about what day to come out! I plan to check at the registry tomorrow, just in case...:)

petew
01-19-2016, 08:56 PM
of course he will register it and get a plate. Why else do you think he needed the paper work.He will show up with cash and a plate and take it home.
Take a pill.

super7mag
01-19-2016, 10:10 PM
Ya what ever happend to a handshake?

HunterDave
01-19-2016, 10:53 PM
of course he will register it and get a plate. Why else do you think he needed the paper work.He will show up with cash and a plate and take it home.
Take a pill.

Cmon, easy now.

Map Maker
01-20-2016, 07:38 AM
Here's another post to tell you to relax.
No one turns into a con artist just because a wrong checkbox was checked.

If you keep calling and looking desperate, you might lose the deal.

Go for a hike and take your worried mind off it.

molly
01-24-2016, 08:58 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I had texted and emailed at the beginning of the week hoping to adjust the pickup day from Saturday, which had only been suggested by them pending confirmation later in the week. I also mentioned that I had not gotten a reply. So I waited till Saturday morning and called the son's cell, leaving a message. No reply. Called the dad's home phone where his wife (I assume) told me he had gone bird hunting for the day, and that the guy with the truck to haul it was skiing, and she thought they were coming next weekend and that I must have misunderstood. I said to please let him know I called so we can set something up. Nothing so far.

So, is it possible for me to ask for an amendment to the Bill of Sale, offering to come into Calgary, get a deposit and add a pick-up-by-date? I was planning on calling him again later today in case she garbled my message, as her East European accent was even stronger than his! But maybe I should not call again? How long does one wait? I wish this had never happened. I have never encountered such uncommunicative buyers on any deal ever. :( I am still hoping it will turn out, but...

rocpilefsj
01-24-2016, 09:26 AM
I feel for you, selling anything these days seems to be a hassle. I never consider anything sold until the money is in my hand. I would call again and tell them if they are interested in it they need to live up to their part of the deal, if not you need to get the bill of sale back. If they become unreasonable I am sure there are some people here who would be more than willing to help!

vcmm
01-24-2016, 09:46 AM
Molly, Is YOUR bill of sale in your name or hublets?

molly
01-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Molly, Is YOUR bill of sale in your name or hublets?

Both our names, but only I signed it. The registration is in Jim's name, though...Did I screw up even more?? :confused:

vcmm
01-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Nope. Tell them Hublet needs to sign also or bill of sale is void.
Hublet will sign when they bring CASH only. Might be an out for you.

EZM
01-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Both our names, but only I signed it. The registration is in Jim's name, though...Did I screw up even more?? :confused:

Yes and No ......

Bad news is you "did it wrong" - the registered owner, your husband, is the only one who is authorized to sell his vehicle/trailer/boat - so your signature, which does not appear on the bill of sale is invalid and does not constitute a binding agreement for a bill of sale.

Good news ......

Like I said, if Jim didn't sign it, it isn't sold ......

winged1
01-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Maybe now your husband isn't the hublet as much as you are the humblet?

molly
01-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Maybe now your husband isn't the hublet as much as you are the humblet?

Yes! :)

So does the guy also need that pink slip signed as well to register it? The registry gal said he only needed a Bill of Sale.

And therefore we would be free to sell it to someone else as this Bill of Sale is not valid...if the guy still does not commit to picking it up.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-24-2016, 10:21 AM
I'm guessing it was sold through Kijiji...notorious for flakey buyers.

I would put it back up for sale. It's only been one weekend, but my guess is, they've either changed their minds, or haven't come up with all the money yet and are stalling. I'd call them today and say if they don't come by, then it's going back up for sale.

I highly doubt they would actually try to force the sale by trying to register it. As mentioned, legally the owner hasn't signed it away yet.
They're just flakey buyers. (like 99% of all kijiji people)

molly
01-24-2016, 10:27 AM
So I FINALLY was able to speak to the dad. And he said next Saturday around 10:30, and I told him to bring his copy of the bill so that Jim can sign it as I had found out that it is not valid with my signature.

So, I will update you next Saturday as to whether we have cash in our hand or a trailer in the yard! I feel much better now, and mucho gracias to VCMM for asking that question!!! :)

bagwan
01-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Registry is right. You can also sign the registration document but its not necessary. Pink slip is insurance. If Jim still has the registration slip in his name and didn't sign bill of sale I think you're AOK but I'm far from being a lawyer. The biggest problem I see in your deal is a time factor. The buyer does not feel a need to move it ASAP and maybe is trying not to move it twice if someone is moving it for him. Whoops, I was typing when you were writing, Molly. Glad it sounds better for you.

molly
01-30-2016, 01:51 PM
And we were lucky they did...They came around noon, and Jim signed the papers as well as the registration one, and they paid us. Then some things began to go wrong like the damn signal lights would not work!! They fiddled around and no go, so the friend with the truck thought maybe the plug had gotten a bit corroded after sitting so long. And while they were fiddling with that, the son noticed a drip from one of the plumbing lines under the trailer!! Right at a joint so likely an easy fix, but I started to worry, even though they did not worry too much about it. And in the meantime, there was a clicking sound coming from the trailer battery which I couldn't explain and even though the guy with the truck has a trailer also, he didn't know what it was, and the son was getting worried about that, too. Jim thought it was charging but I had not heard it before then...The son asked for a discount but Jim said no as it was an old trailer and we had already come down in price...I am more of a softy and likely would have given a little one if it looked like they would walk away...They had no plate so eventually we decided to lend them our plate so they would not get stopped for that. In the end, they shook hands and left, having to get up to Cremona with no working trailer lights! I told them to text me when they get there as I was worried they would get stopped! :(

So, what was that clicking sound? And, after the money changes hands, could the buyer change his mind? I am curious, and feel fortunate they still took it. Should I give them some sausage or something when I pick up the plate? We never thought about hooking it up to our truck before they showed up to ensure the lights worked. Gosh, this has been quite the experience! :oregonian_winesmile

P.S. This is a 1987 Okanagan, if that helps with the battery clicking sound...

Foot Stomper
01-30-2016, 02:07 PM
Clicking sound? What clicking sound.... I don't hear a clinking sound??:snapoutofit:

Trailer gone. Money in hand. Lesson(s) learned. Congratulations! Celebrate, sleep well tonight! :oregonian_winesmile

molly
01-30-2016, 02:20 PM
You know, they were set to drive away but I said we should make sure the lights work first...and then everything else happened!

Good thing we lent them the plate. A cop followed them for a ways... I just want them to be OK with the deal, even if it is over! :) The folks we bought it from really must have been laughing when we hauled it away!!

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-30-2016, 02:20 PM
P.S. This is a 1987 Okanagan,
Repeat that.....1987! No warranty implied or expressed. Buyer knows that. They'll figure it out, and I'm sure find a few more little problems along the way.

Dont worry about it. Congrats on the sale.

traderal
01-30-2016, 03:11 PM
Congrats on the sale after sleepless nights. I have had nothing but problems with the lights on trailers. First of all the manufacturers buy the cheapest connections to save money, then they torch cut rough holes in the frames for the wiring which quickly gets frayed. Even the 7 pin connectors quickly deterioate from dust, mud and corrosion. As I say its all crap. And yes our friend Murphy is always there at point of sale to ensure epic fail. I sold a 14 ft car hauler last year on which I had spent hours checking connections so the buyer would have no problems. By the time the buyer got home the lights failed. He took it in for repairs and the shop charged him $700 to "rewire" the trailer. The new trailer I bought as replacement developed problems after 1 trip.

Ebrand
01-30-2016, 04:20 PM
Always keep your licence plate when you sell something. If you are not going to transfer it on to another vehicle turn it into registries so it is no longer associated to you.

Never "let" anyone use it.

Glad the rest of the deal worked out.

molly
01-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Always keep your licence plate when you sell something. If you are not going to transfer it on to another vehicle turn it into registries so it is no longer associated to you.

Never "let" anyone use it.

Glad the rest of the deal worked out.

Well, I think it will be OK. They finally got there, and I will arrange to pick it up next week. Sounds like they plan to buy a new battery in the spring, and will just let the leak in the plumbing drip till then...Is that wise? There is no water in it, just plumbing anti-freeze. They do not seem to know a lot about trailers... not that we are experts, either. :)

Sooner
01-30-2016, 07:55 PM
Deal is done, get your plate and forget about it. When you buy used, you expect to fix something. Plus you dropped the price during the first negotiations. Your done. His trailer now. Glad it worked out for you.

waterninja
01-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Molly, I am very glad that the deal went through and you got your money. I'm sure you learn't some lessons from this "ordeal". No offence, but I don't really see you wheelen and dealen much in the future. lol..
By the way, get your plate back. No fun getting tickets in the mail now that you no longer own it.
And if they don't want the sausage, I'll gladly give it a taste test.

molly
01-30-2016, 09:05 PM
Molly, I am very glad that the deal went through and you got your money. I'm sure you learn't some lessons from this "ordeal". No offence, but I don't really see you wheelen and dealen much in the future. lol..
By the way, get your plate back. No fun getting tickets in the mail now that you no longer own it.
And if they don't want the sausage, I'll gladly give it a taste test.

Ya, I think just selling guns and small stuff is easier!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:
Now we can sell the hitch and the gennie! I have made arrangements to pick up the plate on Tuesday. No one will be there so no sausage!! Sorry, ninja!!

Thank you to all for your advice, comments and humour. It is why I post here. :cheers:

Scotty454
01-30-2016, 11:53 PM
And we were lucky they did...They came around noon, and Jim signed the papers as well as the registration one, and they paid us. Then some things began to go wrong like the damn signal lights would not work!! They fiddled around and no go, so the friend with the truck thought maybe the plug had gotten a bit corroded after sitting so long. And while they were fiddling with that, the son noticed a drip from one of the plumbing lines under the trailer!! Right at a joint so likely an easy fix, but I started to worry, even though they did not worry too much about it. And in the meantime, there was a clicking sound coming from the trailer battery which I couldn't explain and even though the guy with the truck has a trailer also, he didn't know what it was, and the son was getting worried about that, too. Jim thought it was charging but I had not heard it before then...The son asked for a discount but Jim said no as it was an old trailer and we had already come down in price...I am more of a softy and likely would have given a little one if it looked like they would walk away...They had no plate so eventually we decided to lend them our plate so they would not get stopped for that. In the end, they shook hands and left, having to get up to Cremona with no working trailer lights! I told them to text me when they get there as I was worried they would get stopped! :(

So, what was that clicking sound? And, after the money changes hands, could the buyer change his mind? I am curious, and feel fortunate they still took it. Should I give them some sausage or something when I pick up the plate? We never thought about hooking it up to our truck before they showed up to ensure the lights worked. Gosh, this has been quite the experience! :oregonian_winesmile

I always write "vehicle sold as is, where is, with no warranties expressed or implied" in the additional comments section of the bill of sale (on the back side). Make two copies, have both parties and a witness sign both. No worries after that :)

Glad everything worked out well for you, I figured they would.

loyaleddie
01-31-2016, 06:04 AM
Sooooo.....the moral of the story...."never let a woman do the mans work"....

They should stick to what they know....sammich making and such,

:scared0018:

jethunter
01-31-2016, 07:53 AM

The mess-up up on the bill of sale was not clever and after many pages of pulling out your hair and worrying, it turns out the buyers were upstanding honest people who kept their word and paid in full despite your barraging them with confusing emails and messages. You are lucky.

Now your trailer is defective, and likely the buyers are bit ticked off because the trailer has some faults that were not disclosed. That is not cool, and if I were the buyer I would have asked for my money back and let you keep the trailer because you did not keep your word.

That's how I see it.

molly
01-31-2016, 07:57 AM
Sooooo.....the moral of the story...."never let a woman do the mans work"....

They should stick to what they know....sammich making and such,

:scared0018:

No argument from the Hublet on that!! And I do make good sammiches... :)

coreya3212
01-31-2016, 08:44 AM
The mess-up up on the bill of sale was not clever and after many pages of pulling out your hair and worrying, it turns out the buyers were upstanding honest people who kept their word and paid in full despite your barraging them with confusing emails and messages. You are lucky.

Now your trailer is defective, and likely the buyers are bit ticked off because the trailer has some faults that were not disclosed. That is not cool, and if I were the buyer I would have asked for my money back and let you keep the trailer because you did not keep your word.

That's how I see it.

How did she not keep her word? And not knowing about deficiencies is not the same as not disclosing .

molly
01-31-2016, 09:36 AM

That's how I see it.

I did not barrage them with anything! I sent an email and two texts trying to pin down a different date, and then had to call as no one showed up the first time. I stated we should have checked the lights first but that was the first it had been hooked up since October, 2014. They worked then. The battery was likely low or tripping a fuse, according to an RV guy I called after they left, and I passed that along. They plan to buy a new battery in the spring. And that drip on the plumbing was a surprise as well, but they plan to leave it till spring. So we did not knowingly sell the thing with additional faults. :(

How did she not keep her word? And not knowing about deficiencies is not the same as not disclosing .

Thank you. :)

58thecat
01-31-2016, 09:52 AM
Another happy mobile home owner...1987, plunk it down, skirt it,make babies and sammiches!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Positrac
01-31-2016, 01:10 PM
Another happy mobile home owner...1987, plunk it down, skirt it,make babies and sammiches!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

That paints a pretty picture but it will also need a porch for the half dozen dogs to lay on.

Glad it all worked out in the end Molly.

What would have happened if there had been an accident on their way home? Would you have been liable as it had your plate on it? I would avoid doing that again in the future just to avoid any potential issues.

coreya3212
01-31-2016, 01:13 PM
That paints a pretty picture but it will also need a porch for the half dozen dogs to lay on.

Glad it all worked out in the end Molly.

What would have happened if there had been an accident on their way home? Would you have been liable as it had your plate on it? I would avoid doing that again in the future just to avoid any potential issues.

Tow vehicles liability covers the trailer for liability, nothing to do with the plate on the trailer. I would avoid lending a plate for the sake of photo radar tickets coming back on me.

Sledhead71
01-31-2016, 01:15 PM
Tow vehicles liability covers the trailers liability, nothing to do with the plate on the trailer. I would avoid lending a plate for the sake of photo radar tickets coming back on me.

Correct