PDA

View Full Version : Photo Radar on the Henday

Dean2
01-18-2016, 12:39 PM
I regularly see photo Radar vehicles Illegally parked on the overpasses to the Henday, taking photo radar speeding tickets. I have never got one because to be honest they stick out like a sore thumb, even when you are on the freeway. I was however curious if anyone has raised the illegal parking aspect as a defence to the ticket they receive?

albertabenbuckkiller
01-18-2016, 01:19 PM
Similar to your offence taken by parking illegally, I have a real problem with them idling their vehicles all day long. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have laws prohibiting excessive idling of vehicles here in alberta? If they want to sit on the side of the road all day long and take pictures of license plates they should do it with the engine turned off IMO! It seems like a double standard to me. (Sorry if I'm off topic)

Hunter1602
01-18-2016, 01:22 PM
I regularly see photo Radar vehicles Illegally parked on the overpasses to the Henday, taking photo radar speeding tickets. I have never got one because to be honest they stick out like a sore thumb, even when you are on the freeway. I was however curious if anyone has raised the illegal parking aspect as a defence to the ticket they receive?

They are not restricted by certain aspects of the TSA.
Only real argument to try is to file for disclosure and see if the Peace Officer made notes about the calibration test of the machine, and that they conducted the proper tests before, during as well at the end of the shift.
Not an easy win.. However those speed on green cameras are a different story.

RavYak
01-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Can you point out the law that states police officers etc aren't allowed to park like that? I am pretty sure you are incorrect in your assumption they are parking illegally.

If you do get a ticket from one of these then be a man and go pay it... Jmo...

masalma
01-18-2016, 01:39 PM
They are not restricted by certain aspects of the TSA.
Only real argument to try is to file for disclosure and see if the Peace Officer made notes about the calibration test of the machine, and that they conducted the proper tests before, during as well at the end of the shift.
Not an easy win.. However those speed on green cameras are a different story.

Pointless to fight. You are guilty before you even step into court.

I went to court once and proved that he was not qualified to operate the radar. Only training was received from his superior and not by the manufacturer. Judge didn't really care.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-18-2016, 01:46 PM
Idling a vehicle is a bylaw

They are enforcing other by laws and traffic laws in accordance to city of Edmonton policy's and doing so in as safe and inconspicuous manner as possible.

But hey next time you're in front of the judge trying to get out of the ticket and using that as s defence
Come on back and let us know how that worked for you.

' I fought the law
And the law won '

Hunter1602
01-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Idling a vehicle is a bylaw

They are enforcing other by laws and traffic laws in accordance to city of Edmonton policy's and doing so in as safe and inconspicuous manner as possible.

But hey next time you're in front of the judge trying to get out of the ticket and using that as s defence
Come on back and let us know how that worked for you.

' I fought the law
And the law won '

LoL.
Like.

Dean2
01-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Can you point out the law that states police officers etc aren't allowed to park like that? I am pretty sure you are incorrect in your assumption they are parking illegally.

If you do get a ticket from one of these then be a man and go pay it... Jmo...

It is called the Highway Traffic Act. No one is allowed to park on the paved or gravel shoulder of a highway unless it is an emergency situation. The police and Peace Officers (who do most of the photo radar) are not exempt. Same as if police or other EMS go through a Red Light with Siren and flashers and have an accident. They are still in the wrong and have to cough for your repairs.

P.S. Why is it okay for the Police to break the law and not me. (That is actually the definition of a Police State my friend). What does being a "man" have to with paying tickets. You assume the ticket is warranted. Lots of tickets are issued to people who weren't speeding because the radar was set up wrong. What about women, do they need to be a man and pay up too?

You have a pretty simplistic view of the world you live in, or I guess maybe your world really is that simple. IF it works for you, good, just don't recommend it to the rest of us.

Hunter1602
01-18-2016, 02:02 PM
It is called the Highway Traffic Act. No one is allowed to park on the paved or gravel shoulder of a highway unless it is an emergency situation. The police and Peace Officers (who do most of the photo radar) are not exempt. Same as if police or other EMS go through a Red Light with Siren and flashers and have an accident. They are still in the wrong and have to cough for your repairs.

P.S. Why is it okay for the Police to break the law and not me. (That is actually the definition of a Police State my friend). What does being a "man" have to with paying tickets. You assume the ticket is warranted. Lots of tickets are issued to people who weren't speeding because the radar was set up wrong. What about women, do they need to be a man and pay up too?

You have a pretty simplistic view of the world you live in, or I guess maybe your world really is that simple. IF it works for you, good, just don't recommend it to the rest of us.

It's actually the TSA. Traffic Safety Act..and yes, they are exempt while conducting their duties.. What laws are you referring to Dean in which police are allowed to break?

Morpheus32
01-18-2016, 02:15 PM

Maybe don't speed. Then Mr Police State won't have issue with you....

Matt L.
01-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Maybe don't speed. Then Mr Police State won't have issue with you....

Didn't read his post did you?

Morpheus32
01-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Didn't read his post did you?

He is upset about the "illegally" parked vehicle which it is not. As I said....don't speed and you don't have to worry about being oppressed by the "man".

RavYak
01-18-2016, 02:49 PM

There you go again assuming they are breaking the law...

A) There is no highway traffic act, it is the Traffic Safety Act...
B) These roadways actually fall under the Edmonton Bylaw Traffic Act.
C) It falls under the permit section, there are many instances where certain individuals with permits can park and/or operate where others normally cannot. Emergency vehicles, utility vehicles, construction vehicles even residential vehicles in some areas.

Your uninformed argument is the same as claiming police officers should get tickets for speeding while on the job... It isn't illegal because they have provisions that allow police officers to do their jobs...

Calgary bylaw is much more obvious and maybe will help you realize this...

(p) “emergency vehicle” means a motor vehicle used:
(i) for Police duty;
(ii) by a Fire Service;
(iii) as an ambulance; or
(iv) for purposes relating to maintenance of a public utility and
designated as an emergency vehicle by the Chief of Police;

EXEMPTION FROM PARKING PROVISIONS
29. (1) Notwithstanding anything elsewhere contained in this Bylaw the provisions
relating to stopping or parking of vehicles do not apply to:
(a) emergency vehicles;

Get your facts straight before you make false claims...

And if you get caught for speeding be a man and pay your ticket that you earned... Yes there is the very odd situation where you might wrongfully get a speeding ticket but they are extremely rare...

canadiantdi
01-18-2016, 03:01 PM
P.S. Why is it okay for the Police to break the law and not me. (That is actually the definition of a Police State my friend).

So if you're speeding and the cop speeds to catch you, thereby "breaking the law", this indicates to you that we are living in a police state?

Bergerboy
01-18-2016, 03:08 PM
Watch the area east of 17 street as that is always a hotbed for the police.

KGB
01-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Pointless to fight. You are guilty before you even step into court.

I went to court once and proved that he was not qualified to operate the radar. Only training was received from his superior and not by the manufacturer. Judge didn't really care.

That is exactly what it is - pointless to fight. I spoke with a queen of bench judge -off the records, of course!- and that's exactly what he told me. Pay the ticket, it's like a tax for speeding.... Or go before the justice of first appearance and they will reduce the charges. Please excuse me if I am using wrong legal terms...but it's a person seating in a small office where you come to pay your fines at the Edmonton court house.
According to my BIG JUDGE, the traffic judge isn't a real judge but a "public servant". For what it's worth....

bobtodrick
01-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Are you serious OP.
So what, do you also think that ambulances, firetrucks and police vehicles should obey the posted speed limits...or not run red lights (after they ensure it is safe).
Or do you think that when a family member has that big heart attack that the ambulance should be doing 50km/h and sitting in traffic at every red light or crossing the centre line.
God gave you a brain...use it...certain vehicles are exempt from the highway laws as long as they are not creating a safety issue.

Bergerboy
01-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Are you serious OP.
So what, do you also think that ambulances, firetrucks and police vehicles should obey the posted speed limits...or not run red lights (after they ensure it is safe).
God gave you a brain...use it...certain vehicles are exempt from the highway laws as long as they are not creating a safety issue.

He was just asking a question. No need to insult.

Hunter1602
01-18-2016, 03:41 PM

Post #8 is a bit more then a question IMO.

ivegonefishing
01-18-2016, 03:42 PM
I'm with RavYak.

All I can say is, Wow! All kinds of misinformation, suppositions, and claims being applied here. Here are the Traffic Safety Act and Edmonton Traffic Bylaws:

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/t06.pdf

http://www.edmonton.ca/bylaws_licences/C5590.pdf

You can read it, I don't want to, and then give your reasoning. As for me I rarely ever go more than 10% over limit. I know it is still outside of the law, but I am comfortable with that. If I ever needed (ie. heart attack, life threatening situation) the assistance of Police, Fire, or Ambulance, I would hope they would be there as fast as they could. In other words going faster than the speed limit and not waiting for traffic lights! ( All done in safe manner)

Please refer to fact based information. It makes it easier for everyone here.

bobtodrick
01-18-2016, 03:46 PM

If that's the case, so be it. My response was directed to some of the inane replies alluding to the terrible police breaking their own laws and such.
Again, if we're going to make them follow all the laws when giving you a ticket, than we better make all first responders follow those laws.
I don't think anyone wants to wait 1/2 hour for an ambulance or fire truck.
And I can just imagine the crapstorm if the police were sitting there at the red lights while a violent robbery was taking place.

kevinhits
01-18-2016, 03:49 PM
He is upset about the "illegally" parked vehicle which it is not. As I said....don't speed and you don't have to worry about being oppressed by the "man".

Technically, the photo radar vehicle is not classified as an " Emergency" sitting on the shoulder....:bad_boys_20:

fishead
01-18-2016, 04:02 PM
One thing is for sure. The D-bags in Edmonton taking extra care in trying to hide for the most part, while in Calgary they don't spend as much effort trying to hide so if you are paying attention (which you should be anyways) you will slow down. Is the whole idea not supposed to slow traffic down to make the roads safer.
I know the question of cash cow has been beaten to death just merely something I have observed.
Anyone else notice this ?

elkhunter11
01-18-2016, 04:02 PM
The province has set guidelines governing the use of photo radar in the province, and it's very common for the people operating the photo radar to violate those guidelines. However since most people just pay the fine , they get away with not following the guidelines.

Dean2
01-18-2016, 04:40 PM
It's actually the TSA. Traffic Safety Act..and yes, they are exempt while conducting their duties.. What laws are you referring to Dean in which police are allowed to break?

Illegally breaking into homes in High River and stealing private property is just one example. Nothing happened to those that did it or odereded it. Police being caught lying to gey convictions and not being prosecuted for perjury is another. Cops loosing their service weapons and not being charged with unsafe storage. There are endless examples of the police beaking the law and not being held to account.

As to emegency vehicles being exempt from parking laws I never said they weren't but these are city of Edm pickups. These are not emergency vehicles or anything even close. The guys in them aren't cops, they are glorified toll booth attendants collecting money.

If you and others buy that the Police should be able to do whatever they want as it is in our best interests to have them protect us then what van i say?

rugatika
01-18-2016, 04:47 PM
You can bring it up, and you might find a sympathetic judge ( I doubt it), and if there is such a ruling it won't take long for bylaws to be enacted to allow non-emergency, revenue generating vehicles to continue parking on the shoulders of overpasses, no matter how dangerous it is. If they cause an accident and heaven forbid someone is seriously hurt or killed they may re-consider.

I don't see it as a very safe thing to be doing for many of the reasons why it's against the law for regular citizens to do so. But if it generates a buck for the government, I'm sure safety is pretty far down the list.

Good luck.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Of course there is the
If everyone drove the speed limit and obeyed all traffic laws, there wouldn't be a need for these vehicles in the first place.

They are doing this, because everyone is doing that.

Then don't do that.

Problem solved

brslk
01-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Are you serious OP.
Or do you think that when a family member has that big heart attack that the ambulance should be doing 50km/h and sitting in traffic at every red light or crossing the centre line.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't those vehicles employ lights and sirens while speeding and running red lights?

That hardly compares to some guy sitting on the shoulder in an unmarked mini van that doesn't even have his four way flashers on.

DiabeticKripple
01-18-2016, 06:07 PM
Regardless of whether they legally can or can't park there, it's stupid to do and they should be on the side of the henday. Way more space.

RavYak
01-18-2016, 06:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't those vehicles employ lights and sirens while speeding and running red lights?

That hardly compares to some guy sitting on the shoulder in an unmarked mini van that doesn't even have his four way flashers on.

I believe they usually have pylons etc set out when on the bridges at least a couple have that I have went by.

Imo be glad they do it the way they do, you can see them from miles off. They would make much more money and probably have fewer costs if they put permanent hidden cameras in some of those spots...

whiteout
01-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Illegally breaking into homes in High River and stealing private property is just one example. Nothing happened to those that did it or odereded it. Police being caught lying to gey convictions and not being prosecuted for perjury is another. Cops loosing their service weapons and not being charged with unsafe storage. There are endless examples of the police beaking the law and not being held to account.

As to emegency vehicles being exempt from parking laws I never said they weren't but these are city of Edm pickups. These are not emergency vehicles or anything even close. The guys in them aren't cops, they are glorified toll booth attendants collecting money.

If you and others buy that the Police should be able to do whatever they want as it is in our best interests to have them protect us then what van i say?

Since your extensive knowledge of the law is clear, here is what you should do.

File a complaint with the police and then when they do nothing, launch a private prosecution. Then post when and where the hearing is so AO can show up and support your cause.

On a second not, do you honestly believe that the police are governed by the Firearms Act at all times?