PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen a sonic boom?

Red Bullets
01-18-2016, 06:09 PM
I knew I should have been a fighter pilot. Wow... just a little more torque than a land vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW2Y8DLwvxs

big zeke
01-18-2016, 07:51 PM
I was on an air weapons range when they had some exercise that was rather close to the ground and very very fast...it is a big surprise when you're not expecting it. Super cool.

KWO
01-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Yup. Nothing quite like it.

bubba 96
01-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Yup did a six week air crew survival course on the base in cold lake in the late 80's when we had down time we watched the f-18's for hours...

Sooner
01-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Was walking down a pipeline near the Athabasca river in Wmu 509 when I heard a noise, coming fast. Look up, fighter jet. He was right above the trees and when he went over it was so fast, so cool. Then the noise caught up. I cant say it was a sonic boom but holy cow it was an experience to feel it and hear it.

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-18-2016, 09:56 PM
cold lake bombing range "prison" about 10 yrs ago,try welding pipe when it sounds like someone popped off a 12 guage round right behind you 111

Hawkhills
01-19-2016, 06:51 AM
Was fishing at Grist lake in the summer.Lazy bright morning at one with the world,a jet came out of primrose just above the trees came right over top.Just about fell out of the 12 ft Lund. Scared the cap out of me.Thought about it from from the pilots perspective and started to laugh.I bet I wasn't the first fisherman that had this experience.

bat119
01-19-2016, 07:16 AM
Moose hunting a few years ago by Cold lake bombing range I was walking down a cut line when all of a sudden "BOOOM" I went straight up about a foot off the ground don't think I bent my knees. later that day we watched some dog fighting over Pierce lake great entertainment.

Halfton
01-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Never actually seen it happen, but when I was a kid growing up in the late 50ies and early 60ies it was quite common to hear it several times a year. Then the do gooders stepped in an said no more artificial thunder over any occupied land so they where regulated to doing it up north or over the oceans. They really used to rattle the cupboards though and it was pretty awesome.

Jim

canadiantdi
01-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Was fishing at Grist lake in the summer.Lazy bright morning at one with the world,a jet came out of primrose just above the trees came right over top.Just about fell out of the 12 ft Lund. Scared the cap out of me.Thought about it from from the pilots perspective and started to laugh.I bet I wasn't the first fisherman that had this experience.

Experienced the same thing across the road at Winefred. It was awesome!

Digger77
01-22-2016, 12:39 AM
Wow! That is pretty cool!

Justanotherbuck2
01-22-2016, 08:01 AM
Yep fishing up by the Cold lake base, at Wolf Lake, we were the only ones on the water when the fighter jets came by, at first we thought it was just a fluke that they went over us, but it happened several times, they were flying so low they were leaving a wake on the water. Pretty sure they had decided to use us to practice a slow moving target. Lasted about 15 minutes and had a few booms when they broke the barrier. 15 minutes but for my buddy and I a lifetime memory. Loved it!

teledogs
01-22-2016, 08:16 AM
Been in a couple of lucky spots to see some low flybys. Neatest was on Mt Fairview and a couple of Jets did a low circle below the elevation I was at. I was looking down on them as they buzzed just above tree line.

Here's a few low ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOlaQafkv4