PDA

View Full Version : Motomaster Tires

bigbear
01-18-2016, 09:59 PM
Hi All,

Looking for input from people that have run Motomaster Tires from Canadian Tire. Pricing is exceptional, wondering about how they last. Looking at all season tires for a SUV.

Thanks

rawhide
01-18-2016, 10:05 PM
I heard that the rubber compound may be a lower grade, but I have no actual docs to support it. I do know for the price compared to the main brands, can get a good deal. I have many trucks (work) all using Goodyear Duratracks and the mileage varies by 20,000-40,000km per truck when they wear out. All on the drivers type of driving style.

rugatika
01-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Avoid. I ran a set once. They were half the price of a name brand tire. At 30,000km someone stopped me on the highway. There was a softball size bulge on the inside sidewall. Haven't ran a set since. Lesson learned.

With tires you get what you pay for (roughly).

Tom Pullings
01-18-2016, 10:19 PM
Close to 50k on my AT2 tires. If I recall correctly they were less than 600 bucks for all 4 installed.

otto389
01-18-2016, 10:36 PM
I too had one develop a nasty blister on the inside sidewall. And then, a few months later the rest started shedding loonie(or bigger) sized chunks of rubber from the tread area leaving the cords showing in several places, by the time I noticed. I don't remember how many miles were on them but it wasn't many.

elkhunter11
01-18-2016, 11:04 PM
The Mrs went and put new all season tires from Canadian Tire on her Corolla. They were poor in the rain, in snow, and on ice, and they were badly worn within 40,000km. I took the car to Fountain Tire and had Triple treads installed, and they handled great in the rain, good in snow, and decent on ice. When she traded off the car with 80,000km on the tires, they still had some tread remaining.

Mulehahn
01-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Personally I would go to a few smaller tire shops and ask about some foreign brands on a budget before I got motormasters, but I would by motormaster before I bought any Goodyears. I ran have ran motormasters and beyond wearing faster they handles well. I ran a set of goodyear Eagles and on a trip from Calgary to Vancouver three sidewalls bulged.

sewerrat
01-19-2016, 06:20 AM
Canadian tire maybe cheap with their tires, but you have to pay for every little thing, valve stem, valve cap mounting , balancing and the amount of air they put in.

Go to Costco way better deals.

sns2
01-19-2016, 06:34 AM
I second Costco. Brice and warranty is second to none.

Btw, I have had Motomaster when I could afford anything else. Won't be going that way again.

Smokey
01-19-2016, 07:49 AM
I've ran 6 sets of them on my vehicles, including two Jeeps, two half tons, a quarter ton, and two Sentras.

My Sentra went 40 k longer then Bridgestones or Goodyears. Had no issues with them on my trucks or Jeeps, granted I sold most of them.

I have them currently in 2 of my 3 vehicles. Seem ok.

ccmckee
01-19-2016, 07:55 AM
I have ran them in the past on various vehicles, they were ok but you just didn't get the mileage out of them. Now i run michelins on everything, well worth the extra in mileage alone.

densa44
01-19-2016, 08:28 AM
I've had poor ones too and they replaced them. The ones I have on the F250 seem to be fine. Time will tell it is not a high mileage vehicle, mostly just the dogs and I.

Mhunter51
01-19-2016, 08:29 AM
I'm on my second set of AT2's. The first set on my last truck had 53000 km's on them when I sold the truck and they still had another 15 - 20 left on them. The ones I just put on seem just as good but I only have about 10000 km's on so far. This set of LT275/65 r18's cost just over 850.00 with everything incl. And yes you pay for install etc but you also do at Costco. Actually I priced out tires at Costco and their install prices were higher and they DO NOT carry any Goodyear tires. They were pushing B F Goodrich which I had on my truck and lasted about 40000 km's only. I would wholeheartedly recommend CT tires. Costco sucks for service as well.

tacomama
01-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Had some motomasters LX2's years ago and they wore out FAST. As other have mentioned, you get what you pay for.

Some dealerships have great deals on tires as well. Might be worth checking...
I just bought some BFG all terrains from a dealership. Tires were actually cheaper than costco which had them on sale already, and I didn't have to wait for 10 business days for costco to ship and deliver the tires to a store, even though they are a common size. Dealer had them delivered from a warehouse, installed the next day and took them about an 1.5 hrs.

Sooner
01-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Picked up a set of all seasons used for my explorer to run in the summer. They were a good tire in the summer. Only ran them in early Nov/Dec when the first snow/icy roads come as I then put on the winter rims and tires. They were not good in the cold. When i switched them out for the last time, i noticed a big separation on the inner sidewall of the tire facing the frame. Scary to think I was running highways speeds with that. I would not buy them again as I have never seen a tire separate like that.

rugatika
01-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Given the tragic results that can occur from catastrophic tire failure I wouldn't risk the lives of myself or family to save a few bucks.

Stinky Buffalo
01-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Had bought motormaster tires twice now. First set, I didn't own that long, car was written off within a year of installing them.

The next set, I used for a couple of years. They weren't too bad. Again, didn't put a lot of km on them.

The biggest issues I had was with their shop. Make sure you get your hubcaps back, and double-check to ensure they put the correct tires on (not mix-and-match).

huntsfurfish
01-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Have used motormaster tires on my vehicles for well over 20 years. No major issues. Previous set had one tire going low on me they replaced valve stem and back on the road. Used AW type mostly.

Tom Pullings
01-19-2016, 10:25 AM
You could prob pay twice as much for a tire that lasts twice as long. But for me I'm not sure how much longer I'll have the truck so I don't need anything that'll last 150k. Only tires I've ever had separate were a set of Firestones that looked like someone was blowing a bubblegum bubble out the side.

elkdump
01-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Close to 50k on my AT2 tires. If I recall correctly they were less than 600 bucks for all 4 installed.

X2, several sets of 4 the last few years, heavy loaded 4x4 , lots of gravel Milage , 40 thousand to 55 thousand km per set,

16 in , 17 in

Out of 5 sets of tires the last 3 years, I have destroyed 2 of these tires( sharp rock and a piece of discarded leaf spring steel) No Question or Arguments!
In both cases I received 4 NEW tires installed under the inexpensive extended road hazard warranty ,
Gave up on Goodyear years ago big price and pizz poor service ,

and I wouldn't run a BF Goodrich on wheel barrow

fish_e_o
01-19-2016, 10:39 AM
back when i used a forester as my winter car i had motomaster SE's on it and they were actually really good.

MAC
01-19-2016, 10:52 AM
I have run motomaster tires for a long time. Just put a set of winter grips on my wife's newest car, that will be 4th set in about 12 years. Run motomaster on my truck also. Have had good luck with no issues.
I don't doubt that anyone here that has posted issues with them, but the fact is there are issues with all manufacturers and motomaster tires are in large made by Goodyear and BF Goodrich. I hear alot more about Firestone and Goodyear than Motomaster, both have had major recalls, including Michelin in the BF Goodrich and Uniroyal portions of their empire. You are more likely to receive poor service than a problem with the tire itself.

MAC

Selkirk
01-19-2016, 12:07 PM
Hi All,

Looking for input from people that have run Motomaster Tires from Canadian Tire. Pricing is exceptional, wondering about how they last. Looking at all season tires for a SUV.

Thanks

When it comes to vehicles, there's two things 'never' to skimp on ... and they would be brakes and tires.

Govern yourself accordingly.

Mac

midgetwaiter
01-19-2016, 02:17 PM

How were they on ice?

I had the second gen on my Jeep Liberty for about 60k, decent in most regards and better offroad than I expected. However they were without question the worst performing tire on icy roads I have ever owned, to the point it got scary sometimes.

From The Hip
01-19-2016, 05:44 PM
Hi All,

Thanks

Dont bother with crappy tire as their prices are just as crappy.Check out PMCtire.com for far better prices and product.PMC is pretty much the Canadian version of TireRack in the USA.Whilst both have physical brick and mortar stores their meat and potatoes is online shipped sales with the shipping rates to make it worthwhile buying from them.

I bought a full set of studded winter tires mounted/balanced on winter wheels last September for under $800 including shipping which was $20 and I got them in 4 days.

Save your hard earned cash and opt for PMCTire.com.

FTH

twofifty
01-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Avoid the "Belt o' Glass" model. .
They're a bit thumpy on cold mornings.

;)

Unregistered user
01-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Second year with at/2 on my Exploder, quieter, better grip and better ride than the Coopers they replaced. They are wearing evenly and slowly, no alignment issues which really helps.

Erik
01-19-2016, 07:09 PM
I have a set of AT/2s on my truck. Great in dry conditions, pretty decent in snow, but horrible on ice or packed snow. Would be nice for a set of summer all-terrains though.

Jadham
01-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Crappy as per their name.

Good return policy... wasn't happy with how they handled in snow and was able to get an upgrade to premium snows with the full credit from the motomasters going toward it.

Tom Pullings
01-20-2016, 12:43 AM
How were they on ice?

I had the second gen on my Jeep Liberty for about 60k, decent in most regards and better offroad than I expected. However they were without question the worst performing tire on icy roads I have ever owned, to the point it got scary sometimes.

They are quite terrible on ice. But I wasn't expecting an at tire to be great. To clarify I still run the tires. They have 50k now and will likely go to 80k or more.

Gray Wolf
01-20-2016, 12:48 AM
When it comes to vehicles, there's two things 'never' to skimp on ... and they would be brakes and tires.

Govern yourself accordingly.

Mac

:47b20s0:

tranq78
01-20-2016, 06:26 PM
I've always put Motomaster SE all-seasons on our minivan. They've worked fine. I've had no complaints.

I don't drive aggressively, though! Actually my wife is a more aggressive driver than I am.

Jadham
01-20-2016, 09:11 PM
They are quite terrible on ice. But I wasn't expecting an at tire to be great. To clarify I still run the tires. They have 50k now and will likely go to 80k or more.

The reviews I read recommended studding the At/2 if expecting ice. But for me their performance on compact snow just wasn't acceptable compared to the previous tires I run (and now use again).

reddeerguy2015
01-20-2016, 09:16 PM
I put a set of motomaster E rated all terrain tires on one of my company trucks. 2 years now (seasonal, spring through fall) and they are fine.

They don't have the offroad ability of a "good tire", as in a KO2 or duratrac, but I havent had an issue yet.

Best part was they were $550 installed for 265's.

If the price is right - shoot.

Deep
01-20-2016, 09:16 PM
I have bought their winter tires now for many of my family vehicles...just switch them over in April -and I can't say a bad thing about these fine tires.

MountainTi
01-20-2016, 09:42 PM
Avoid. I ran a set once. They were half the price of a name brand tire. At 30,000km someone stopped me on the highway. There was a softball size bulge on the inside sidewall. Haven't ran a set since. Lesson learned.

Buddy put them on a dodge diesel. After the third "softball" he went back to a higher quality tire

JD848
01-21-2016, 12:00 AM
Check out some used tire places or ads in your area online ,sometimes guys take of high end tires and put whatever they desire on there new truck,tires are still new and often sell for haif price.

reddeerguy2015
01-21-2016, 12:13 AM
Check out some used tire places or ads in your area online ,sometimes guys take of high end tires and put whatever they desire on there new truck,tires are still new and often sell for haif price.

True, although probably rare. I bought 4 new "factory" tires straight off a new truck with the fellow immediately putting on a lift kit and big tires.

Less than 200km on odometer. Found on kijiji for less than $400.

Wouldnt cross your fingers.

ÜberFly
01-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Yup same thing but they were branded General tire but made "exclusively" for crappy tire. Name holds true!!