PDA

View Full Version : This is too stupid not to talk about...

amosfella
01-19-2016, 03:18 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/this-is-that-live-in-ottawa-oct-3-1.2843501/to-ensure-every-child-wins-ontario-athletic-association-removes-ball-from-soccer-1.2843504

With the growing concern over the effects of competition in youth sports programs this summer, many Canadian soccer associations eliminated the concept of keeping score. The Soccer Association of Midlake, Ontario, however, has taken this idea one step further, and have completely removed the ball from all youth soccer games and practices.

According to Association spokesperson, Helen Dabney-Coyle, "By removing the ball, it's absolutely impossible to say 'this team won' and 'this team lost' or 'this child is better at soccer than that child.'"

"We want our children to grow up learning that sport is not about competition, rather it's about using your imagination. If you imagine you're good at soccer, then, you are."

This summer Peter Oldring spent time with the Midlake Thundercats, an under 11 boys and girls team, and put together this radio documentary.

sakogreywolf
01-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Lol!!!!!

dmcbride
01-19-2016, 03:23 PM
While other countries around the world a learning that children need to fail, Canada is just getting started. Sad.

I suppose it is just a joke.

darren32
01-19-2016, 03:23 PM
LOL for sure! I am taking the boy to "running around in a field" :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Akoch
01-19-2016, 03:24 PM
You understand that this is satire right?

gneigum
01-19-2016, 03:25 PM
I guess future Olympians are out of the question, as well as hockey, basketball, football, and on it goes. Then we can turn all the stadiums into shelters for the homeless....

darren32
01-19-2016, 03:31 PM

I do now :)

mtnluvr
01-19-2016, 03:33 PM
This began 10 or so years ago with the introduction of "timbits" hockey... One kid can't score too many goals, don't mark more than a 2 goal lead on the scoreboard etc etc so little Johnny doesn't feel bad! Even tho little Johnny's parents can't be bothered to bring him to practice and the coach has to pick him up and drop him off so he can play in the first place. Another sickening chapter in the pussification of Canada!

58thecat
01-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Oh my god or OMG...generation weak is about to fall upon us, future looks strong:sHa_shakeshout:
Everyone gets a medal, no winners or losers...all equal:scared:
Do people really think this will not effect our already weak society?:(

Pdub
01-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Hehehe...kinda like everyone getting trophies for participation :)

There are a few good clips. If you've got some time to kill check out the piece about a Montana town who renamed themselves "Banff, Alberta, Canada" to get more tourism dollars in...

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/pastepisodes/banff-alberta-canada-montana-kissing-military-robot-karachi-canadian-political-accent-training-1.2696821?autoplay=true

MAC
01-19-2016, 03:41 PM
"This Is That is a current affairs program that doesn't just talk about the issues, it fabricates them. Nothing is off limits--politics, business, culture, justice, science, religion--if it is relevant to Canadians, we'll find out the "This" and the "That" of the story.

Each week, hosts Pat Kelly and Peter Oldring introduce you to the voices and stories that give this country character in this 100% improvised, satirical send-up of public radio."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thisisthat/about

MAC

Twisted Canuck
01-19-2016, 03:41 PM
'This is That' is a satire show, for those who missed the explanation in an earlier post. Something so ludicrous, yet so apt to draw a strong reaction....well done.

Akoch
01-19-2016, 03:47 PM
'This is That' is a satire show, for those who missed the explanation in an earlier post. Something so ludicrous, yet so apt to draw a strong reaction....well done.
Whenever I see these on social media I have an internal debate on whether to say anything or not, some people just love getting upset about the most ludicrous things that it's pretty entertaining to watch play out.

schmedlap
01-19-2016, 03:55 PM
that goal nets and field boundaries should also be removed from the game, as they stifle the creativity of children who don't wish to play by set rules.
(I know its a satirical piece).

Redfrog
01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
It's ok to be a sheep, just not ok to be surprised when you are eaten by the wolves.:thinking-006:

elkdump
01-19-2016, 04:05 PM
Makes just as much sense as digging " Trophy Worms " ,

a football game without a ball can't be anymore asinine than a Primeminister without a clue

Okotokian
01-19-2016, 05:00 PM

This is that is indeed made up satire, but that's a pretty weak piece because we've all seen various leagues actually doing that.

What changes do kids sports need? They need to have coaches who can control themselves and realize it's about the kids, not them. And if a kid makes a team, he should hit the floor for at least a few minutes every game. Other than that, kids are good with being challenged, trying hard, being coached and corrected, and winning and losing.

Selkirk
01-19-2016, 05:02 PM
What's next ... puckless hockey?! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Thanks to the OP for this 'Chuckle Of The Day' (link in post #1). I'll be sharing it with all my buds and family. :happy0034:

Cheers,

Mac

Redfrog
01-19-2016, 05:17 PM
This is that is indeed made up satire, but that's a pretty weak piece because we've all seen various leagues actually doing that.

What changes do kids sports need? They need to have coaches who can control themselves and realize it's about the kids, not them. And if a kid makes a team, he should hit the floor for at least a few minutes every game. Other than that, kids are good with being challenged, trying hard, being coached and corrected, and winning and losing.

OH My!! It's not even the end of January and you've posted something I agree with :sHa_shakeshout:

Nice play squire!!:)

Okotokian
01-19-2016, 05:30 PM
OH My!! It's not even the end of January and you've posted something I agree with :sHa_shakeshout:

Nice play squire!!:)

Poor long-suffering Hal, I think I've found your replacement. LOL

pinelakeperch
01-19-2016, 05:33 PM

It took four posts :confused:

OP calls something stupid, doesn't realize it's a joke :sHa_sarcasticlol:

amosfella
01-19-2016, 06:04 PM
It took four posts :confused:

OP calls something stupid, doesn't realize it's a joke :sHa_sarcasticlol:

sure you didn't read the title??

Selkirk
01-19-2016, 06:32 PM
. . . we've all seen various leagues actually doing that . . .

So Oki, you're saying that you are aware of soccer leagues that actually have their players play soccer 'without' a ball?! :scared0015:

I'm hoping you're just adding to the chuckle here ... fingers crossed :)

Mac

ak-71
01-19-2016, 06:33 PM

Are you sure? My son for a year played in a league where a kid's goals over 3 counted against his own team, each kid got a trophy in the end and there were no places announced at the end of the season.

Akoch
01-19-2016, 06:59 PM
The article is indeed satire, the point of which is to draw something that is kind of ridiculous as to take it over the top in order to draw attention to it.

Had no idea that youth athletics had gotten quite to the point where they would punish kids for getting "too many" goals. Figured that the participation ribbons were about as far as they would go with trying to not bruise little egos.

schmedlap
01-19-2016, 07:25 PM

All of that was in place when I coached hockey and soccer going back to the 90's, and even in club football (which is a much less "forgiving" milieu due to the strict disciplinary needs) when my kids played ( I did not coach that). That was "change" long ago. The problem is the social engineers trying to take all competitiveness out of all kids' sports and turn them into a mushy love puddle at all levels - the big bubble wrap. Of course there are some coaches and parents who misbehave - it has never been different, and never will be - but they are a vast minority. Hell, they all have to now take mandatory courses and pass just to be eligible to enrol or coach.

The proper approach is done by "tiering" by about age 9-10 - the kids who have the competitive bent do not enjoy being stuck with those who don't, and those who don't get no benefit at all from being on teams where they stand around and watch the more competitive and naturally skilled kids play. At the community level one can balance that with the "brothers, cousins, and friends" exceptions, and generally offer a much better experience to all. And some of the "low tiered" players move up over time, of course - they have a better chance of doing so in this milieu than in the love puddle.

Having actually been around all those kids for many years, as opposed to writing a sociology paper on "self esteem", I know very well what a mound of royal BS this ongoing social engineering to take all actual competitiveness and whole concepts like "winning" out of sports is. These morons seem to think that kids cannot and do not "keep score" if we adults pretend to abandon same. Absolute nonsense, of course. They need to learn to "win" and be damn proud of it, and to "lose" and be gracious about it, and to be proud of putting in their best effort regardless. They need to learn to ease off and not run up the score when they get unfortunately matched against much inferior opponents, and to respect the skill and effort of much superior opponents. And they need to learn that when they lose because they did not put forward their best effort, or because they did not play as a team, there is a real life lesson. This "movement" in kids' sports is far more about the lowest common denominator than it is about the best interests of the actual kids.

The OP's piece is actually a great satirical commentary, because, unfortunately, it is not very far from the truth of what the social engineers are aiming for. I know a friend who was a very excellent and conscientious coach of soccer at the U10 - U12 level (and formerly coached at much higher levels), and who (after being the volunteer soccer director of the community for many years) volunteered for some years to coach rather hopeless low tier community teams where there were no willing and qualified parents (quite common at that level) and had a lot of success in "elevating" the teams by the end of the season, with some medals (horror?) to prove it. He has quit, just because it is too frustrating to try to navigate the "competition is bad" attitude amongst the administrators and the bubble-wrap parent crowd. I feel sorry for the kids who are missing out on having a decent coach and learning something.

grouse_hunter
01-19-2016, 07:33 PM
I thought that it was a joke. Unfortunately this situation is real. Saddening to say the least.

deerassassin
01-19-2016, 07:43 PM
LOL for sure! I am taking the boy to "running around in a field" :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Or you can put him in a dress and take him to the pool, convince everyone he thinks he's a woman so they'll let him into the lady's change room. Make sure he's wearing a go pro. Let us no how it works out. No grannies or fat chicks babes only. You can edit all that out......what is this world coming to.

coreya3212
01-19-2016, 08:18 PM
I don't know, the ndp may adopt this one. I am good at soccer cause I believe I am, I am a girl cause I believe I am...same, same.

waterninja
01-19-2016, 08:33 PM
It seems that all the kids I grew up with that couldn't play sports are now making the rules. What a bunch of overweight nuerotic pansy butts we are supposed to be raising. Does anyone know where I can get some knitting and piano lessons for my kid?

Twisted Canuck
01-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Come on, lets all just embrace the Celebration of Mediocrity, eat our gray mush and be happy.....

Okotokian
01-20-2016, 09:35 AM
So Oki, you're saying that you are aware of soccer leagues that actually have their players play soccer 'without' a ball?! :scared0015:

I'm hoping you're just adding to the chuckle here ... fingers crossed :)

Mac

I wasn't referring specifically to that, but we've seen schoolyards ban balls. No balls in a schoolyard.... seriously...

Okotokian
01-20-2016, 09:46 AM
All of that was in place when I coached hockey and soccer going back to the 90's, and even in club football (which is a much less "forgiving" milieu due to the strict disciplinary needs) when my kids played ( I did not coach that). That was "change" long ago. .

Not true in all sports. And you know where the problem is most prevalent? In SCHOOL sports. Exactly where you think it should be total opposite.

When my son was in high school there was another student on his team whose family we knew fairly well. This boy was mostly on the bench, rarely played. Coach wanted to win. One weekend the team was going to a non-league tournament (basically exhibition) in Edmonton. It was the kid's birthday and the family asked the coach if he could stay home for that given he probably wouldn't play anyway. The coach assured them the kid would play. The kid never saw one minute of court time.

I've seen yelling, off the deep end coaches. We've reported it. I recently heard of a coach yelling at a female player, insulting her, and making her do push ups as punishment during the game in front of everyone at a high school tournament.

Winning and losing builds character. Egotistical coaches don't. Everyone needs to ask "Why are we doing this?"

rugatika
01-20-2016, 09:50 AM
I wasn't referring specifically to that, but we've seen schoolyards ban balls. No balls in a schoolyard.... seriously...

All girls school?

superlooper
01-21-2016, 03:09 PM
How do you play soccer with out a ball? Wouldn't that just be a big game of sure-aids

Okotokian
01-21-2016, 03:10 PM
All girls school?

smartazz.

No, the boys aren't allowed to have balls anymore. ;)

ivegonefishing
01-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Come on, lets all just embrace the Celebration of Mediocrity, eat our gray mush and be happy.....

First off, I know and recognise the article at hand to be satirical.

I agree with Twisted Canuck about mediocrity. I have long held a position of, "Since when did mediocrity become the new norm?"

Saw it too often as a teacher.