PDA

View Full Version : Jamon Iberico de Bellota

martinnordegg
01-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Does anyone know where to get some Jamon Iberico de Bellota in Calgary? I know the Ox and Angela restaurant serves it but I would like to know a retail outlet if it is possible.

omega50
01-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Fotw

Erik
01-19-2016, 06:50 PM
I saw something like this at SuperStore of all places. I'm not sure about the 'de Bellota' part but it was definitely Iberian Ham, made in Spain. It was about $6.00 for 100g and it was pre-slice/packaged. When I went back to pick some up it was all gone and now I can't find it. I'm uncertain if they brought it in to trial it or it was to be part of their deli line-up and will be back again.

martinnordegg
01-19-2016, 06:56 PM
I saw something like this at SuperStore of all places. I'm not sure about the 'de Bellota' part but it was definitely Iberian Ham, made in Spain. It was about $6.00 for 100g and it was pre-slice/packaged. When I went back to pick some up it was all gone and now I can't find it. I'm uncertain if they brought it in to trial it or it was to be part of their deli line-up and will be back again.

It could be Serrano. Not sure what Omega's Fotw is??

Erik
01-19-2016, 07:01 PM

Now that I looked that up, I believe you to be correct. I am not extremely knowledgeable about the differences of Spanish hams, perhaps someone can explain. All I know is that I had a lot of ham in Spain when I was there and it was delicious. I prefer spanish ham and sausage to Italian varieties. Yum!

martinnordegg
01-19-2016, 07:06 PM
Now that I looked that up, I believe you to be correct. I am not extremely knowledgeable about the differences of Spanish hams, perhaps someone can explain. All I know is that I had a lot of ham in Spain when I was there and it was delicious. I prefer spanish ham and sausage to Italian varieties. Yum!

We tried the Jamon Iberico de Bellota at the Ox and Angela. It is aged 36 months and it totally awesome. I would like to buy a whole leg and can keep it in our "bombshelter" cold room.

Erik
01-19-2016, 07:17 PM
We tried the Jamon Iberico de Bellota at the Ox and Angela. It is aged 36 months and it totally awesome. I would like to buy a whole leg and can keep it in our "bombshelter" cold room.

Just looked at the menu of the restaurant you mention. Boy, does it bring back memories of Spain.

A brash thought; why don't you ambush the restaurant and ask them who their supplier is?

Ceilidh69
01-19-2016, 07:48 PM

Fly on the wall??????

martinnordegg
01-19-2016, 07:51 PM
Fly on the wall??????

I was even dumb enough to google and all it said was "Flags of the World" Omega must be talking in tongues.

coreya3212
01-19-2016, 07:52 PM
I think it means fly on the wall. He is hoping for a source as well maybe??

martinnordegg
01-19-2016, 07:52 PM
Just looked at the menu of the restaurant you mention. Boy, does it bring back memories of Spain.

A brash thought; why don't you ambush the restaurant and ask them who their supplier is?

I asked and they aren't saying...guess I can't blame them. Well I'm like a dog with a bone I'm going to find a source.

CaberTosser
01-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Perhaps give these guys a call and ask, they are importers/distributors of lots of food products from around Europe. Mrs Caber & I really like the one that opened this year in Calgary:

http://italiancentre.ca/

bat119
01-19-2016, 08:50 PM
MMMM moldy ham
I watched a show on TV about how its made in Spain, the type of mold only grows there......... weird or what

Erik
01-19-2016, 08:52 PM
A little internet searching found me this, maybe a lead?

http://www.costco.ca/Bone-in-Jam%C3%B3n-Ib%C3%A9rico-de-Bellota-Aged-36-Months.product.100003250.html