PDA

View Full Version : I guess our firearms just all went up 50 to 60 percent

Mangosteen
01-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Based on the Euro costing 1.61 and the USA dollar costing upwards of 1.45 looks like we can tell our better half that investing in guns and scopes was better than money in the oil stocks.

The resale values in Canada should really be referenced to USA values. No use dealing in Canadian money these days as its too unstable. Like any banana republic country they refer to the US dollar. Maybe Euro.

ramnode
01-20-2016, 12:02 PM
What do you mean? "Just" as in over the past 3 years? And how is this unique to firearms?

Okotokian
01-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Based on the Euro costing 1.61 and the USA dollar costing upwards of 1.45 looks like we can tell our better half that investing in guns and scopes was better than money in the oil stocks.

The resale values in Canada should really be referenced to USA values. No use dealing in Canadian money these days as its too unstable. Like any banana republic country they refer to the US dollar. Maybe Euro.

Resale values are "referenced" to what someone is willing to pay. If selling, you might be able to get more as new comparable product will cost more in Canadian dollars. On the other hand, the economy is in the tank and unemployment is rising, so less people will be spending those disposable dollars. Might be a saw-off.

RavYak
01-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Which will drop the farthest? The price of gas or the Canadian dollar? Gas winning right now but the dollar looks to be trying to keep up...

bergman
01-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Its not really appropriate to reference things in the US dollar if you can't sell them in US dollars, and cross border shopping for firearms isn't an easy thing to do.

But...

1. If you buy a stock, it can realistically drop to zero (Remember Tahera Diamonds?). If you buy a rifle, you still have a rifle.

2. You can bet prices are going to go up for US produced firearms sold in Canada, and presumably this would affect their resale value in Canada also.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but #1 is all the justification I need. Plus I use my rifle to get meat for the freezer, so it's what you call a "productive asset". Pays dividends yearly, every Q4.

Mangosteen
01-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Its not really appropriate to reference things in the US dollar if you can't sell them in US dollars, and cross border shopping for firearms isn't an easy thing to do.

But...

1. If you buy a stock, it can realistically drop to zero (Remember Tahera Diamonds?). If you buy a rifle, you still have a rifle.

2. You can bet prices are going to go up for US produced firearms sold in Canada, and presumably this would affect their resale value in Canada also.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, but #1 is all the justification I need. Plus I use my rifle to get meat for the freezer, so it's what you call a "productive asset". Pays dividends yearly, every Q4.

Actually cross border is very easy. You just have to go through the process. I use Borderview out of Washington State. So easy.

Okotokian
01-20-2016, 01:56 PM
we can tell our better half that investing in guns and scopes was better than money in the oil stocks.

Except we never liquidate our assets. ;) It's like rejoicing that the value of your house has doubled. But if you sell it and have to buy another one in the same town....

Masterchief
01-20-2016, 01:59 PM
and it helps if you tell your wife the price was half what you actually paid

Okotokian
01-20-2016, 02:05 PM

And like the old joke goes, hope she doesn't sell them after your death for what you told her they are worth. ;)

sjemac
01-20-2016, 02:12 PM

Mine cost nothing. They now breed on their own and increase their numbers that way.

shep dog
01-20-2016, 04:55 PM

You need to give your head a good shake.

Yup, go ahead and convince a US buyer that it's "no use dealing in Canadian money these days."

You're an adult, right?

wwbirds
01-20-2016, 05:28 PM
US residents can already buy firearms for about 20-30% cheaper than Canadians. Higher population and lower costs by retailers with no brokerage or middleman so the only way a US resident would buy in Canada is if in Canadian dollars. Now discount the price once again as used firearms generally go for 65-75 of that lower US retail. When the dollar was at par it was often prudent to pay Prophet River $250 to bring a shotgun in for me that I found new in Denver for $1500 when a used one in Canada often sold for well over $2000 (one guy in NB wanted $3400 for his). If you can sell Canadian guns to US buyers in US funds you should be in refridgerator sales way up north.

Newview01
01-20-2016, 05:49 PM
And like the old joke goes, hope she doesn't sell them after your death for what you told her they are worth. ;)

Haha true story..

Mhunter51
01-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Guns are going up-- or rather just did. Was in Cabelas on Tuesday morning and the gun counter fellow told me ALL the firearms went up an average of 10% that morning. He told me reloading components and ammunition will be going up Wednesday morning by AT LEAST 10% !!!!!!! Nice.

Mikeham
01-20-2016, 09:04 PM
In early January, I ordered a Marlin 795 from Cabela's at $179. It's now $229. That's just over 22% increase.

6.5x47
01-20-2016, 10:21 PM
With the job loss in the province, good luck selling your guns at any price let alone a 50%-60% increase....lmfao.

Mangosteen
01-21-2016, 05:37 AM
If you want to sell in US dollars just list on it.
The market is much broader than Alberta.
Of course I am not sure if the Americans are interested in run of the mill stuff but if you bought correctly into quality the value holds.
It's easy to be a member. Then work with someone like Borderview.
I think some assume you walk into the Calgary Easter gun show and sell but that's not the way. Market into the Deep South yourself. Half of them don't even know where Alberta is anyways.

JustMe
01-21-2016, 09:51 AM
Did you know that back when Canada was an industrialized country, we used to produce firearms in Canada and sell them in Canadian dollars? Now, we just support the Asian countries economies and sell them our resources...... Started with an earlier Trudeau in the late 60's and been going downhill since.

Not only guns, but we used to build airplanes, trains, buses, furniture, cars, tractors, combines and a lot more..... Sold out by politicians and big corporations. Used to be a pretty good country..........

hal53
01-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Did you know that back when Canada was an industrialized country, we used to produce firearms in Canada and sell them in Canadian dollars? Now, we just support the Asian countries economies and sell them our resources...... Started with an earlier Trudeau in the late 60's and been going downhill since.

Not only guns, but we used to build airplanes, trains, buses, furniture, cars, tractors, combines and a lot more..... Sold out by politicians and big corporations. Used to be a pretty good country..........
You don't think wages had anything to do with that?

JustMe
01-21-2016, 10:08 AM
You don't think wages had anything to do with that?

Yes, especially the offshore wages from the countries that have sweat labour, no HSE or environmental protection (love that lead paint on baby toys!) etc. Hard to compete and the Feds won't put on realistic tariffs, so.....

Bushrat
01-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Yes, especially the offshore wages from the countries that have sweat labour, no HSE or environmental protection (love that lead paint on baby toys!) etc. Hard to compete and the Feds won't put on realistic tariffs, so.....

That's what happens when Canadians want the lowest price and instead of buying Canadian they buy offshore imports to such an extent that the Canadian companies that used to produce and manufacture cannot survive unless they stop manufacturing and instead import cheap junk. Its a catch 222situation and can be blamed as much on you and I ordinary Canadians as the manufacturers.

ForwardBias
01-21-2016, 05:42 PM
That's what happens when Canadians want the lowest price and instead of buying Canadian they buy offshore imports to such an extent that the Canadian companies that used to produce and manufacture cannot survive unless they stop manufacturing and instead import cheap junk. Its a catch 222situation and can be blamed as much on you and I ordinary Canadians as the manufacturers.

That's why we should all buy SCORE, WASP etc...