PDA

View Full Version : What will the legal landscape look like ?

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-20-2016, 03:35 PM
What do you think the landscape will look like when marijuana is legalized ?

As a father it is concerning to an extent as to how and where it will be used.
I'm sure we have all had that neighbor that's kind of scetchy and always has that funky smell lingering around their home.

I for one don't want to be flipping steaks in my back yard and my children running about while my neighbor is sitting on his deck smoking some weird contraption.

I don't think it should be the same as if he were sitting on his deck drinking a beer because it doesn't bother anyone.

It's inevitable that we are going to half to deal with this and they better get the rules straight right from the get go.

I refuse to have this catorigized as being as normal as smoking in public places and it shouldn't be and the first time I hear my kids say, what is that smell I will probably loose my cool.

Bigwoodsman
01-20-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm wondering what the cops are doing right now knowing that this legislation is coming. Do you arrest the guy with his little baggie and charge him with possession, and then in 3 months it's legal? What about all those with illegal possession charges against them, are they all pardoned? How does that happen?

I guess we all know who's going to be paying for this.

BW

Matt L.
01-20-2016, 03:48 PM
Oh brother...

Scott N
01-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Personally I doubt it will be legal anytime soon. After all, it was a Liberal election promise.

Okotokian
01-20-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm sure we have all had that neighbor that's kind of scetchy and always has that funky smell lingering around their home....

the first time I hear my kids say, what is that smell I will probably loose my cool.

What do you say to them now? What do you say when they smell cigarette smoke, or see people (you?) drink alcohol? You probably tell them what it is, and depending on your own personal views, why it's not a good idea for them to do it, that it's against the law for them to do it, etc. etc. We should all be having those conversations with our kids regardless if the neighbourhood pothead is out on the deck or not.

BUSHRVN
01-20-2016, 04:13 PM
What concerns me is that to the best of my knowledge they don't have a quick easy way for an officer to check the level of it in there blood to determine if they are suitable to be behind the wheel and now they won't be afraid to smoke it up good and go for a drive because the officers can't prove and charge them for driving impaired.

Okotokian
01-20-2016, 04:16 PM
What concerns me is that to the best of my knowledge they don't have a quick easy way for an officer to check the level of it in there blood to determine if they are suitable to be behind the wheel and now they won't be afraid to smoke it up good and go for a drive because the officers can't prove and charge them for driving impaired.

I don't know if what you say is true, but agree that would be a concern. But then, it's a concern now. How do they deal with pot smokers behind the wheel now if they don't find any weed actually on them?

beltburner
01-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Don't worry. It will never be legalized on a federal level. Only way they can do it is to give the jurisdiction to the provinces just like in the states.
Justin has already said this.

Okotokian
01-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Don't worry. It will never be legalized on a federal level. Only way they can do it is to give the jurisdiction to the provinces just like in the states.
Justin has already said this.

Isn't the prohibition in the criminal code? And isn't the criminal code federal? I don't think your statement is correct. Medical marijuana isn't province by province.

Sledhead71
01-20-2016, 04:23 PM

You should be more concerned about the majority of society being on legal phamaceutical dope which is handed out like candy these days.

There are plenty of drugs test available to law enforcement for road side test on the illegal stuff, but again the smarties we prescribe are a nonstarter for the most part.

shep dog
01-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Go find me a tree growing a six-pack of beer or a bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey.

To each his own.

Okotokian
01-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Go find me a tree growing a six-pack of beer or a bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey.

To each his own.

Those things don't come from trees silly, they come from grain fields ;)

dsoucy
01-20-2016, 05:27 PM
First of all people get pulled over and given DUIS for weed there is a swab for that second dunk drivers and alcohol have killed more people in a day then weed has EVER. How is one better then the other....... cigarettes kill Evan more people then drunk drivers alcohol homicide and any other cide you can think of. And people will pick up buts from the ground just to ha e a puff I have never ever seen or herd of that with a pot smoker. I was a pot smoker and now I chose not to be not for my family or friends because I don't want to anymore. If the government makes it legal to smoke. Then drug dealers have no need to sell it opening up officers to fight real crimes. By selling it and taxing it and regulating the government will make money that our economy desperately needs right now. I'm not an advocate I just saying get some facts befor you say things.its everyone's right to choose if you want to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes or weed.

MBL
01-20-2016, 05:28 PM
It was just a way for justin to get votes. It's too bad all these potheads were too stoned too realize it. I doubt it will happen any time soon but before the next election they will start talking about it so he can get votes from all same people that voted just for this reason.

dmcbride
01-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Chrétien promissed the same thing at the beginning of his term. 3 international treaties need to be rewritten, 2 signed by Liberals, 1 by Mulroney. Not gonna happen, ploy to get votes.

Unregistered user
01-20-2016, 06:04 PM
The legal landscape will look far out man.

Talking moose
01-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Not a thing would be different than it is now should it be legalized. There will be no surge in users. Very few people will have the legalities of it dictate if they will be a user or not. I have a diverse circle of people in my life, out of 100, 20 smoke pot and 80 do not. If it was legal tomorrow, those numbers would remain the exact same.

Twist
01-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Marijuana will NOT be legalized. Canada would have to break several already signed international treaties.

If turd does this, he'd have to admit it is ok to not sign the UN gun marking scheme treaty and the arms treaty.

ren008
01-20-2016, 06:49 PM
It will remain illegal here until our US-fed true overlords change their tune.

Only way that will happen is as more and more individual states legalize it and the ridiculousness & waste of the war on pot becomes impossible to ignore.

Full Curl Earl
01-20-2016, 07:09 PM
A swab to reveal intoxication levels for drivers using Marijhuana ? There is no device for this, as there has also been no decision/laws on what level legal intoxication will be deemed. IE, .08 blood alcohol for drinkers. Trace drug can be found in urine for some time after, but the short term detectors for Mary Jane vanish quickly.
Justin has already backed away from this, his main platform.
Now its onto the next lie.

winged1
01-20-2016, 07:17 PM

I'm sure we have all had that neighbor that's kind of scetchy and always has that funky smell lingering around their home.

I for one don't want to be flipping steaks in my back yard and my children running about while my neighbor is sitting on his deck smoking some weird contraption.

I don't think it should be the same as if he were sitting on his deck drinking a beer because it doesn't bother anyone.

It's inevitable that we are going to half to deal with this and they better get the rules straight right from the get go.

I refuse to have this catorigized as being as normal as smoking in public places and it shouldn't be and the first time I hear my kids say, what is that smell I will probably loose my cool.

So how would you explain vaping to the kids? The future for cannabis is oderless vaping. I suspect that vaping will also be used for various forthcoming prescription drugs.

winged1
01-20-2016, 07:20 PM
KREM Spokane just had a segment how grow OP's are reducing the vacancy rate in lower end commercial properties.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-20-2016, 07:26 PM
What if I don't like the smell of your burnt steaks ?

Your children running around the neighbourhood?

I'm in my house
You are in yours

You'll do things I don't like
I'll do things that you don't like

But then I'll talk to you.

If you're cutting your grass at 9 am

We'll agree on noon or later

If I'm smoking my grass at noon

You'll ask when the kids are in school or bed.

Ok

No big deal

Sketchy neighbours will always be there

It'll become routine

Better they learn from you what the smell is

But then we'll have new groups form
Like anti smoking
And you won't be able to fart in public

Let alone smoke any legal substance

The Elkster
01-20-2016, 07:27 PM
Hahaha how many weird and offensive smells and weird contraptions are out there? How do you explain google glasses? Ohhhhh how will my children survive LOL. The smoke, the fumes, the insanity!

If you make it into a big thing it'll be a big thing. If you downplay it as annoyance it'll be just an annoyance. Your choice

Bigwoodsman
01-20-2016, 07:32 PM
I don't care either way. I think the Feds will make it a provincial problem. He can save face this way. Then the provinces can decide similar to what the states are doing. With the economy the way it is it's a good tax grab for the provinces. Once this is done then the Feds will come back asking for their cut.

One mans opinion.

BW

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-20-2016, 08:19 PM
What if I don't like the smell of your burnt steaks ?

Your children running around the neighbourhood?

I'm in my house
You are in yours

You'll do things I don't like
I'll do things that you don't like

But then I'll talk to you.

If you're cutting your grass at 9 am

We'll agree on noon or later

If I'm smoking my grass at noon

You'll ask when the kids are in school or bed.

Ok

No big deal

Sketchy neighbours will always be there

It'll become routine

Better they learn from you what the smell is

But then we'll have new groups form
Like anti smoking
And you won't be able to fart in public

Let alone smoke any legal substance

You raise some real good points here :bad_boys_20:

schmedlap
01-20-2016, 08:21 PM

but do you really think your kids are not going to know exactly what it is and try it out at some point, legal or illegal? Maybe a parent ought to have a sincere and objective discussion of the issues with one's kids, instead of attempting to bubble wrap them against such "horrors". Maybe if your neighbour is a real pothead and they can see first hand its effects on his behaviour and motivation it will actually be an example of "not" (?). Maybe prohibition makes it more attractive (?).

My kids (now adults) have tried it, of course, and are not very inclined - I never discouraged them - in fact I was very honest about my own experiences with pot and other drugs right from the first time the issue was raised (hell, I remember the very frank first discussion involving myself, my ex BIL, equally honest about things, and both sets of kids, then maybe 7-12 in the group). It is almost as good as "legal" now anyway - it is everywhere and readily available, and so long as one is not doing major distribution, the authorities do not really care. Both my boys think it should be legalized as a practical economic and social matter - not because they care to use themselves. Those who are inclined to make it a major life institution will do so whether it is legal or not. We may as well just learn that prohibition is demonstrably a total failure and waste of public resources, and regulate and tax it - make it unprofitable for the criminal element.

Of course, Shiny Pony jumped in on this one without the slightest conception of any of the treaties that make it almost impossible to fulfil his "promise". He undoubtedly is still unable to grasp the complexities involved. And Liberano promises are historically just meaningless election rhetoric anyway (?).

I don't think it will be any great "social apocalypse", or that there will be any reason for you to "lose your cool" over the presence of the smell in "public", if you objectively educate your kids as to the realities. Its legalization is virtually inevitable, and probably much preferable to the current miasma of unenforcable regulation.

hogie
01-20-2016, 09:19 PM
I'm not against it. It's not my thing but some people like it.

I don't see this working out very well. There will still be an underground drug trade around it even if legalized. If the guy down the street is making a better product and selling for less then the government that's who will get the money.

There will be many regulations on it that may not be liked. How it's taxed. Amounts allowed. Can you grow, how many plants you can have. Goes on and on.

I really don't think this promise was thought out just another promise.

Unregistered user
01-20-2016, 10:24 PM
^ Doubtful, who buys shine these days at any price?

Bellero
01-20-2016, 10:28 PM
Isn't the prohibition in the criminal code? And isn't the criminal code federal? I don't think your statement is correct. Medical marijuana isn't province by province.

It's all smoke and mirrors.Trudeau knew that under the Canadian constitution the Provinces have exclusive jurisdiction over property. The only way the Feds were able to ban the stuff in the first place was through the Criminal Code, which is Federal. But the Provinces have to confirm the federal amendments to the Criminal Code and usually do so with an enabling act of the provincial legislature. Want the right to possess pot? Have your province rescind their Enabling Act for pot. That, basically, is what Colorado and a few others have done; our Constitutions actually are pretty similar...... at least in that respect.

reddeerguy2015
01-20-2016, 10:28 PM
Honestly I doubt it will even be legalized. It was a ploy to buy young canadians votes - and it worked.

Just now they're realizing (the liberals), they can't make it happen, or as already stated they knew that from the start.

One of many failed promises yet to come.

6.5x47
01-20-2016, 10:30 PM
The liberals aren't going to legalize marijuana, such a crock of ****. I want to do a lot of things too, doesn't mean they'll ever happen.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/legalizing-pot-in-canada-will-run-afoul-of-global-treaties-trudeau-warned/article28027192/

Savage addict
01-20-2016, 10:41 PM
Personally I'm a little more concerned about the meth addicts and Coke heads stealing my tools when I leave my work trailer on site than the guy who smokes a little weed. More worried my kids will go to a party with their friends when they're 17 and head to the 7-11 loaded and kill someone or themselves. Alcohol is way more dangerous of a substance than weed, and seeing the huge amount of bar fights and stabbings from over consumption. People don't smoke a joint and crash a car, or beat the sh$t out of their wife. The world is going to sh$t and sometime a little help is needed to cope with the fear of Isis attacks and interest being hiked to 15%. Poor you, having to smell your neighbors pot and parent your child. People won't kick your door in and home invade you to buy a bag of dope, but no money and a craving for the yayo and they just might.

beltburner
01-20-2016, 10:58 PM

That is what I said. The only way to make it legal here would be for the federal gov to let the provinces decide. How they would do that is beyond me but i'm sure they could

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-21-2016, 07:07 AM
Oh brother...

X163 ( I thinks that's the number of threads we've had on this topic)

Yay. Another marijuana debate.

http://www.raindance.org/wp-content/uploads/boring-screenwriters-403x400.jpg

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-21-2016, 07:51 AM
So the thoughts of the general public seem to be that it will be some what acceptable in the general public is what I'm understanding.

Marijuana will be legalized and my bets are it will be on the shelves possibly by this time next year. With a quality hydroponics system and enough capacity pot plants mature way faster and would take probably two months before its ready to smoke.

As for my views, I just don't want to see my neighbor sucking on a six foot glass bong while my kids are playing in the back yard. Or some guy sitting on a park bench beside a play ground for that fact. Is that such a horrendous concern ?
Why would it be so much different than me sitting on my bush toilet launching a missile out back. There's a time and place for everything.

The Elkster
01-21-2016, 08:02 AM
Absolutely a time and place for everything. The same consideration should be given as with anything else and of course some subset of any group will just have no clue. C'est la vie. If in public be aware of where your smoke is going and limit smoking areas as with cigarettes. Not that hard. I disagree with the backyard part though. If a guy is in his backyard he should be able to light up. The fact that it annoys you is irrelevant. My neighbor does lots of things that bug the heck out of me. I don't try to ban them. I sucked it up because I realized if I push for a ban on all the things I don't personally like then its likely the cards will turn and someone put a ban on something relatively benign that I like. Dohhhh. Not everything in life goes one's way.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Absolutely a time and place for everything. The same consideration should be given as with anything else and of course some subset of any group will just have no clue. C'est la vie. If in public be aware of where your smoke is going and limit smoking areas as with cigarettes. Not that hard. I disagree with the backyard part though. If a guy is in his backyard he should be able to light up. The fact that it annoys you is irrelevant. My neighbor does lots of things that bug the heck out of me. I don't try to ban them. I sucked it up because I realized if I push for a ban on all the things I don't personally like then its likely the cards will turn and someone put a ban on something relatively benign that I like. Dohhhh. Not everything in life goes one's way.

I understand what you are saying and it is a personal choice but it should come with some restrictions being the fact of this legalization is supposedly to deter our youth from using it.

Where as my kids wouldn't generally see this activity as it sits now. Then you add the guy with the six foot bong with bubbles and lights maybe some funny sounds puffing and hacking 15 feet away.

The next thing I would assume to be hearing is daddy I want one of those toys. I'm not concerned with them catching a second hand buzz because it's highly unlikely. It's just the fact of making such an impression on youth that this is an acceptable practice for adults to use freely where ever they choose.

I think there has to be some discretion and some consideration involved

Matt L.
01-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Seriously Tinda? The chances of what you're describing happening is so minimal it's rather laughable. Far more likely to be a pipe or joint and you won't even know unless the wind is blowing the right way. Mountains out of molehills buddy.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-21-2016, 09:26 AM
Seriously Tinda? The chances of what you're describing happening is so minimal it's rather laughable. Far more likely to be a pipe or joint and you won't even know unless the wind is blowing the right way. Mountains out of molehills buddy.

I assume we will find out shortly

It seems to be when something like this is introduced is that people seem to stand proud and tall that it's now acceptable screaming it from the roof tops and may just choose to do so because they can thinking, hey everyone look at me I can do this where I choose now and there's nothing you can do about it.

If discretion is not put in place as law I can see this being a big concern to a lot of people. Many examples could be used in different scenarios but it is proven when you give people an inch they tend to take a mile or more and will be a constant issue if it's not addressed properly.

Matt L.
01-21-2016, 09:28 AM
You're not going to be seeing pot pride parades.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-21-2016, 09:52 AM
I don't think marijuana should be sold in liquor stores and sounds like a recipe for disaster going from my experiences.

I recall in my younger days drinking six beers and feeling good and not too impaired. Then a joint went around, I took a good lung full and was completely immobilized barfing my guts out with the world spinning face down in the bush.

Kurt505
01-21-2016, 10:07 AM
I wonder how much I could make with a 95 acre crop :thinking-006:

Twist
01-21-2016, 10:23 AM
I don't care either way. I think the Feds will make it a provincial problem. He can save face this way. Then the provinces can decide similar to what the states are doing. With the economy the way it is it's a good tax grab for the provinces. Once this is done then the Feds will come back asking for their cut.

One mans opinion.

BW

Unfortunately we are a British Colony and it simply does not work that way.

In the USA, State rights trump Federal, every time, and that is because they are a representative republic.

Not so Canada. One thing cannot be legal in one province, while illegal in anothet, save that the maximum that one can face for violation is confiscation or a fine.

If you could legally possess and consume marijuana in Ontario but be criminally charged in Manitoba, it would be a violation of our system.

He would have to open up the constitution, which would need ALL provinces approval.

Most of his campaign promises are bald face lies and would require muh more concerted effort and money than any one government could afford to do.

The easiest way to actually do this would be to break off those treaties and be done with it. Legalize consumption and possession and cultivation.

But then you're left with the impairment issue, so, another can of worms.

I laugh that we as a Country sold out soul on a pipe dream promise that likely never will come to fruition.

Twist
01-21-2016, 10:24 AM
I don't think marijuana should be sold in liquor stores and sounds like a recipe for disaster going from my experiences.

I recall in my younger days drinking six beers and feeling good and not too impaired. Then a joint went around, I took a good lung full and was completely immobilized barfing my guts out with the world spinning face down in the bush.

Wedd before beer...never fear

Beer before weed, incapacitated indeed.

Twist
01-21-2016, 10:26 AM
The liberals aren't going to legalize marijuana, such a crock of ****. I want to do a lot of things too, doesn't mean they'll ever happen.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/legalizing-pot-in-canada-will-run-afoul-of-global-treaties-trudeau-warned/article28027192/

Yup. Personally, I want to hunt gophers with a box of hand grenades, but that won't be happening.

Oh well...

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Now I know ! That was horrible :burp:

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-21-2016, 11:20 AM
I wonder how much I could make with a 95 acre crop :thinking-006:

If you were pulling 4 ounces per plant it would be your biggest and most profitable crop, if you could retain it all without being stolen that is.

This would be a huge boost to agriculture and would be a large part in making extracts and there would be no such thing as a poor crop farmer that's for sure !

dmcbride
01-21-2016, 11:33 AM
If you were pulling 4 ounces per plant it would be your biggest and most profitable crop, if you could retain it all without being stolen that is.

This would be a huge boost to agriculture and would be a large part in making extracts and there would be no such thing as a poor crop farmer that's for sure !

I would like to find a plant that grows in Alberta without having to trick it into fruiting before the frost comes.

Unregistered user
01-21-2016, 01:36 PM
Those would be auto-flower strains. So l'm told.

Mr Hawken
01-21-2016, 04:37 PM

Now that's funny right there

roper1
01-21-2016, 08:57 PM
The old 'legalize & tax it' story getting too much 'smoke & mirrors.' The stuff is way too easy to grow at home. Not one user I know would pay for it after the first time. Why would they??

If they finally do legalize it, buy shares in home-size greenhouse distributors. That is where the money will be...:)

Unregistered user
01-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Doubtful, stoners are too lazy. Heck with the quality of beer kits being sold these days it is so easy to make better beer than you can buy for much less money. But swill is sold in the billions of gallons every year and people pay stupid high prices for that crap. Motivated pot-heads? Few and far between.

Matt L.
01-22-2016, 06:49 AM
Doubtful, stoners are too lazy. Heck with the quality of beer kits being sold these days it is so easy to make better beer than you can buy for much less money. But swill is sold in the billions of gallons every year and people pay stupid high prices for that crap. Motivated pot-heads? Few and far between.

This kind of ignorance and prejudice is sadly not surprising on here. Cheech and Chong was a movie guys, not real life.

58thecat
01-22-2016, 07:08 AM
Well it is smoked everywhere, was at rectum place, outside and people were lighting up, cops walking around, no issues.
I don't smoke but take a haul on a cig and I would be flat on my back stoned for 5 minutes then probably puking, same result with chew and it is all legal.
Legalize it and tax the heck out of it....put the funds into our health system or a place lacking, not into handouts though!

Segundo
01-22-2016, 07:18 AM
So the thoughts of the general public seem to be that it will be some what acceptable in the general public is what I'm understanding.

Marijuana will be legalized and my bets are it will be on the shelves possibly by this time next year. With a quality hydroponics system and enough capacity pot plants mature way faster and would take probably two months before its ready to smoke.

As for my views, I just don't want to see my neighbor sucking on a six foot glass bong while my kids are playing in the back yard. Or some guy sitting on a park bench beside a play ground for that fact. Is that such a horrendous concern ?
Why would it be so much different than me sitting on my bush toilet launching a missile out back. There's a time and place for everything.

Says what general public ?

This general public doesn't need more general public on the roads with fast moving vehicles under the "influence ".

And let's all plant 95 acres too ..........

An Over supply in one week. What taxes ? .............

I'm amazed we scream about wildlife and fisheries legislation , yet toy with the idea of allowing more hallucinogens out for young impressionable minds to try .

This "general public" doesn't want some dude out in his stand smoking a joint with a gun in hand or driving their truck home afterwards either.

It's tough enough making the roads safer now as it is .

Since when is "lowering the bar " what real men do?

Need a puff ? The general public might suggest a psychiatrist instead ......

"In my opinion "........

Redfrog
01-22-2016, 02:19 PM
One of the worst side effects of pot is that the promise to legalize it, got Cat Poutine elected.

Hard to believe someone as dumb as the Captain could fool all those smart pot smoking voters.

Society is a long way from being full blown batchit crazy. we need more drugs, made 'normal' :sHa_shakeshout:

Matt L.
01-22-2016, 02:22 PM
One of the worst side effects of pot is that the promise to legalize it, got Cat Poutine elected.

Hard to believe someone as dumb as the Captain could fool all those smart pot smoking voters.

Society is a long way from being full blown batchit crazy. we need more drugs, made 'normal' :sHa_shakeshout:

I highly doubt that promise alone got him elected, pretty sure the ABH campaign in the east had more effect. But keep on with the prejudice, it is fun.