PDA

View Full Version : Fighting in the NHL

Rio56
01-20-2016, 09:20 PM
yes .. no .. what's your side ..the Mcgrattan fight is an eye opener .. do we need this in the NHL ?

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-20-2016, 09:29 PM
All for it. 100%

reddeerguy2015
01-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Its part of the game.

There are well known risks to playing the game, injuries - and specifically brain injuries are part of that.

Accept or don't play??

220swifty
01-20-2016, 09:31 PM
As far as 'need' goes, no it isn't needed. That being said, neither is hitting, or curved sticks, or a lot of things for that matter. The game can be played without these things, but how entertaining is it?

Watch the video of the McGrattan fight, and listen to the crowd. Tell me what the average fan thinks of fighting in hockey, and then draw your own conclusion to the impact it would have removing it from the big show.

MountainTi
01-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Yep, without fighting, hitting, rough stuff, it would be just a snoozefest. Violence sells (to a degree). Check out boxing, MMA, ect...and see how and why it is so popular.
These guys are getting paid handsomely to do it as well

MahoganyMan
01-20-2016, 09:35 PM
I believe fighting a natural instinct within hockey starting young. It would take a looooong time to phase it out.

Oh and yes.

huntsfurfish
01-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Wouldnt hurt my feelings if no fighting was implemented.

Used to think it was good to have. Not so much any more.

kmacisaac
01-20-2016, 09:40 PM
As far as 'need' goes, no it isn't needed. That being said, neither is hitting, or curved sticks, or a lot of things for that matter. The game can be played without these things, but how entertaining is it?

Watch the video of the McGrattan fight, and listen to the crowd. Tell me what the average fan thinks of fighting in hockey, and then draw your own conclusion to the impact it would have removing it from the big show.

I agree, and anyone that signs a contract knows what they are signing on to. McGrattan even acknowledged himself that the enforcer role is a job that is slowly being forgotten at an NHL level.....but if teams are going to pay someone with less skill to do it...well, there will always be someone ready to take that cheque.

histyle
01-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Yes, fighting is a part of hockey. Do you think for a second Wayne Gretzky would have had the career he did without Semenko, Brown, or Mcsorley looking out for him? Nobody took liberties with him (except the Richardson hit) because of the fear factor. Mario Lemieux might have had a longer career if he had a true enforcer looking out for him.

Most importantly, it's two grown men choosing to fight.

slickwilly
01-20-2016, 09:41 PM
I don't mind it, but I think the game is better without it.

In the playoffs, when the game is the best, nobody drops the gloves. Having two stiff line up 2 minutes after somebody breaks an unwritten rule only slows down the game.

MountainTi
01-20-2016, 09:47 PM

In the playoffs, when the game is the best, nobody drops the gloves. Having two stiff line up 2 minutes after somebody breaks an unwritten rule only slows down the game.

Best playoffs I have seen in a long time was 2 or 3 years ago. Philly and Pittsburgh. Lot's of gloves came off in that series. Wasn't just "enforcers" either. Fan of neither team, but watched most of the games

rugatika
01-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Some people like fighting in hockey. Some people like soccer.

Badgerbadger
01-20-2016, 10:02 PM
As a rugby player and fan, (and having played some mens league hockey) I think fighting in hockey is kind of silly. There's lots of opportunity to get up in each other's faces, hit hard and often, and otherwise stake territory/protection/consequences without dropping the gloves.

But, it's part of the culture of the sport, so can understand why others support it.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Without fighting it's just a few guys on skates...

Might as well call it figure skating.

I like watching a hockey fight, and a game breaks out.

mich
01-20-2016, 10:18 PM
You take the emotion out of the game and you are left with what we have now in the nhl....crap hockey. Over paid coasters that are boring to watch. The staged fighting is a joke, bring back the animals.... long live the Hansons

reddeerguy2015
01-20-2016, 10:24 PM
Seriously though fighting, to some degree, or the possibility of it - changes the scope of the game.

Especially come playoff time, and you KNOW the same arsehole is targeting you EVERY NIGHT.

It what makes the game exciting, not only to watch but especially to play.

Psycologically - it is a game changer. What would it be otherwise ?? A bunch of 250lb guys prancing around each other.

Lame.

Keep it up.

Smokey
01-20-2016, 11:09 PM
Its going to be gone in 5 years. Amazed it is not already. I am ok with that. Never had a problem with 2 guys going at it in the heat of the moment, however the staged fight is a disgusting side show. I think the NHL will change before its forced too.

I can watched youtube highlights of Wendy and Probby., back when they were men in the league. Half the fights now are two guys hugging while hitting each others visors, Guys don't swing much any more, its become hold on for dear life.

RavYak
01-20-2016, 11:12 PM
No and it should have been gone a long time ago.

If you want to watch a fight watch UFC or boxing where the guys actually are capable fighters...

That isn't to say fighting still won't happen, even if you get rid of it like what most other sports have done/tried to do there are still going to be the odd fight when things get out of hand. The difference is just in the punishment, instead of being cheered you get a fine/suspension.

reddeerguy2015
01-20-2016, 11:22 PM
No and it should have been gone a long time ago.

If you want to watch a fight watch UFC or boxing where the guys actually are capable fighters...

That isn't to say fighting still won't happen, even if you get rid of it like what most other sports have done/tried to do there are still going to be the odd fight when things get out of hand. The difference is just in the punishment, instead of being cheered you get a fine/suspension.

You don't think current NHL players are capable fighers ?? What would you like to see - a reverse guillotine??

I can promise you they hit harder than a mule and an opposing opponent doesnt want to feel that on their face - most days.

This changes the scope of the game.

I enjoy the canadian/russian style of hockey - europe can keep their game.

rosh
01-20-2016, 11:23 PM
It's part of the game and always has been! I've got buddies that were enforcers, nobody made them be there to do that. These guys can have a good tilt then go for a beer. There are bigger things to worry about like the size of body armor worn on shoulders and elbows. Just my 2 cents

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Nothing sends a message to an opposing player better than a few of his teeth laying on the ice!

reddeerguy2015
01-20-2016, 11:34 PM
Nothing sends a message to an opposing player better than a few of his teeth laying on the ice!

Exactly. :sHa_shakeshout:

elkonthemind
01-20-2016, 11:43 PM
I grew up in a hockey family 4 boys all played high lvl hockey and I can say that fighting is a much a part of the game as is any nice goal or huge defensive hit. It keeps other team on there toes as not to play dirty behind the play or they will face some recourse and I can tell u fighters love to do the job and stand up for there teammates. I cant even see hockey without fighting it is the game and people who say it shouldn't be obviously have never laced up and truly bleed the game. Long live Canadian hockey

RavYak
01-20-2016, 11:57 PM
You don't think current NHL players are capable fighers ?? What would you like to see - a reverse guillotine??

I can promise you they hit harder than a mule and an opposing opponent doesnt want to feel that on their face - most days.

This changes the scope of the game.

I enjoy the canadian/russian style of hockey - europe can keep their game.

It doesn't change a thing other then getting rid of staged fights...

There will still be fights when things get out of hand. If a guy takes a cheapshot you can almost guarantee even if fights are illegal there will still be a skirmish. As I said before the only difference is the punishment and getting rid of the unnecessary fights.

There have been too many serious injuries, brain damage, even deaths and suicides linked to fights in hockey to keep this barbaric practice in the sport.

reddeerguy2015
01-21-2016, 12:03 AM

There will still be fights when things get out of hand. If a guy takes a cheapshot you can almost guarantee even if fights are illegal there will still be a skirmish. As I said before the only difference is the punishment and getting rid of the unnecessary fights.

There have been too many serious injuries, brain damage, even deaths and suicides linked to fights in hockey to keep this barbaric practice in the sport.

You don't think these guys, that are getting paid millions per year, or potentially millions a year don't know this??

This is the game they grew up watching with their dads, playing as a kid and thrived as an adult. They give everything, including their body for the sport.

Do you think THEY want to abolish fighting?? Get real - its a way of life for these boys.

If you dont like it - maybe try taking up a real sport....like knitting.

elkonthemind
01-21-2016, 12:10 AM
^^^^:sHa_shakeshout:

pinelakeperch
01-21-2016, 12:14 AM
Fighting in the NHL is down 50% since 2010. If hockey is truly a part of the game (which I believe it is), then the game is quickly changing. I enjoy a good hockey fight, but I can't say that I've even noticed the massive decline.

Ranch11
01-21-2016, 02:10 AM

Player A hits player B, then player C fights player D. Makes no sense.
Get rid of the instigator rule, then things will come back to what it's supposed to be. Right now fighting in hockey is silly. Beat em on the scoreboard, that's where it counts the most.

Talking moose
01-21-2016, 05:56 AM

If you think there are to many injuries linked to the fighting, take fighting out and watch the injuries double. Your gonna see more cheapshots, stick work, and 230 lb guys running 170 lb stars. Why not? Nobody's gonna step out on the ice next shift and deal with it... The possibility of someone having to fight for their actions makes people think about taking those actions in the first place.

Heyupduck
01-21-2016, 06:44 AM
Personally I think it's kinda dumb, like we haven't moved forward since the Collesium in Rome 2000 years ago. I find the fights are pretty lame too, both guys on skates holding each other's jerseys. Not exactly middleweight boxing..

BUT, it is a choice for people to take part AND the players get paid quite well for what they do, and they likely wouldn't get to play in the NHL if it were any other way.

Playoff hockey is great, with or without fights.

The Elkster
01-21-2016, 06:56 AM
What entertains people is a personal thing. Some like watching UFC while others watch tennis. No point debating as there is no right and wrong. hockey could be played without fighting but is it hockey then? For some yes for some no. Depends which part of the game you focus on.

I would take issue with the idea the removing fighting would lead to a sort of vigilante chaos. If the league wants to get rid of fighting AND cheap shots they very easily could with hard consistent discipline. All they have to do is enable the refs with the tools to do the job and give them some enforcement rules with teeth. Two handed slash or cross check to the back GONE for the game. Three times in a season and GONE for the season. For cases where refs missed stealthy cheap shots the league can use video replay to review potential cheap shots and apply disciplinary action. Much like children people respond to good consistent discipline. The player will eventually "get it" or they'll sit. Pretty simple. If the players are dumb and don't have respect for a fellow players health and wellbeing then someone will do it for them.

58thecat
01-21-2016, 07:08 AM
All for it. 100%

Yep, if officials loose control, league does not send a message, game goes south we'll meet a few knuckles, teams get pumped, crowed gets pumped...but of course you are going to have the oh my people ...seems to be the ones running our society now:mad0030:

Talking moose
01-21-2016, 07:11 AM
Yep, if officials loose control, league does not send a message, game goes south we'll meet a few knuckles, teams get pumped, crowed gets pumped...but of course you are going to have the oh my people ...seems to be the ones running our society now:mad0030:

Oh my!

58thecat
01-21-2016, 07:14 AM

No one drops the gloves because the whistles are put away and men govern men with hacks, wacks, bone crunching body checks that in regular season would be called plus a scrape and get the instigator sets your team back for the extra dueze when the cup is on the line...
Three seasons, all with three levels of officiating, and levels of play, all in one season...

Skybuster
01-21-2016, 07:22 AM
I think any time you get some very talented, competitive athletes engaged in a sport where they are slamming their bodies together, trying to knock each other over, you are going to have fights. It is inevitable. Should they be penalized when they take that extra step, absolutely. Should the league try to minimize the fighting, absolutely. But there will be fights.

What does disgust me, what I really abhor, is the fan reaction. I don’t mean cheering for your champion in a fight. But watch the McGratten video. He goes down and is obviously out cold. The fans are roaring, laughing. They see it as a great lark. I even hear one guy call him an a-hole while he lays unconscious on the ice. In most fights, two combatants square off and generally one bests the other, and having his fans cheer him uproariously while the two skate to the box, is great. But when someone goes down hard, a little respect is required. Continued cheering, catcalls, whistles and name-calling is very poor taste.

Watch the Colton vs Parros fight. When Parros goes over the top and smacks the ice with his face and lays there unconscious, the fans go very quiet. Noone is ecstatic that this athlete is injured in this manner. Even Colton immediately realizes the situation and backs off, waving for the medical team to come over.

Perhaps that is the difference between lower level fans and top level fans; class.

Okotokian
01-21-2016, 08:53 AM
Fighting is part of the game... and it doesn't have to be. How often do we ever see instigator penalties, even though it's often clear who initiated the confrontation? Make that penalty very stiff and deliver it more often.

I hate the times when someone delivers a great body check and is then immediately jumped by someone from the other team in retaliation and a fight breaks out. No way the guy getting jumped should get anything, and the guy jumping him should be ejected.

Dakota369
01-21-2016, 09:20 AM
The man said it himself.......

McGrattan responded to well-wishers on Wednesday morning.

Thanks for all the msgs. Everything is fine i am not dead and will be back shortly!! Been around a long time and know the risks!!
— brian mcgrattan (@bigern10) January 20, 2016

It's part of the game.......don't like don't watch it!

The fans cheering after he dropped is a different topic, bunch of idiots in my opinion, cheer to win, not to injure/hurt

D

huntsfurfish
01-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Fighting is part of the game... and it doesn't have to be. How often do we ever see instigator penalties, even though it's often clear who initiated the confrontation? Make that penalty very stiff and deliver it more often.

I hate the times when someone delivers a great body check and is then immediately jumped by someone from the other team in retaliation and a fight breaks out. No way the guy getting jumped should get anything, and the guy jumping him should be ejected.

Something I can agree with.

Unregistered user
01-21-2016, 01:52 PM
Bench clearing brawls used to be "Part of the game"., then teams got fined for it. Money talks don't it?

ETOWNCANUCK
01-21-2016, 01:57 PM
A hockey fight is as Canadian as you can get

If you can't appreciate everything that is Canadian

I hear Syria has some vacancies

wags
01-21-2016, 01:59 PM

So you don't recall the Flames cup run not so many years ago, facing Tampa Bay in the finals, and Jarome Iginla and Vincent Lecavalier - both captains of their teams - dropped gloves?

Yes fighting has an important role in the game. It allows frustrations to be vented, it allows for dealing with cheap shots, it swings momentum, it invigorates the team, it excites the fans, and it sells tickets.

Cheers

pikergolf
01-21-2016, 02:01 PM
The day of the goon in the NHL is gone. Way to much parity in the league and money at stake for a team to carry a no talent goof. Teams that want to win have to roll four lines that can play. Small talented players are once again finding a niche vacated by the goons. Hockey is the better for it, as are the goons. Post concussion syndrome, depression and suicide are not things I would wish on anyone.

MooseRiverTrapper
01-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Hard to watch this "new school" hockey. Flashy small players. No grit or heart. Fighting down to 0.2 fights a game and the linesmen can't wait 10 seconds to jump in and break it up.

Etownguy
01-21-2016, 02:25 PM
The only thing that turns me off about fighting is the concussion damage those players are receiving. That is reason enough for me to say no to regular fighting (i.e., the enforcer guys).

I also used to enjoy the Rock-em Sock-em videos....but no more. All I can think of is brain damage.

I still enjoy a physical game, and yes the fights are exciting, but I think the health cost is too high.

762Russian
01-21-2016, 02:33 PM
I appreciate ridiculously overpaid people pummeling one another into an early grave, but I'd not care much if it was removed from the game. There are all kinds of ways guys can enforce their grade-school rules on the ice without dropping gloves, so the violence won't be going anywhere.

People will always find a way to indulge the inner neanderthal.

Me, I prefer defensive hits that send the guy wobbling to the bench on rubber legs. The fist fights are fairly dull if they don't include the mad-dog type fighters.

Okotokian
01-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Hard to watch this "new school" hockey. Flashy small players. No grit or heart.

So McGratton should have been kept and Gaudreau sent down??? ;) LOL

Z7Extreme
01-21-2016, 03:11 PM
People who play competetive hockey are all in favour of fighting 100% It is the people who dont play or have never played at a higher skill level who are opposed to fighting. People need to stop sticking there nose where it doesnt belong!!! Hockey wouldnt be the same without it! A fight can be a total game changer for the players and the crowd.

CanuckShooter
01-21-2016, 03:12 PM
If we did that on the street it would be illegal...and it should be no different on the ice..they fight and they should be charged with assault!! The things our kids learn from watching the pros...:thinking-006:

That being said, a good hockey fight is about all that makes it worth watching hockey games, so they should have more and stop those refs from getting in the middle of it...let them beat the pants off each other.

wags
01-21-2016, 03:14 PM
If we did that on the street it would be illegal...and it should be no different on the ice..they fight and they should be charged with assault!! The things our kids learn from watching the pros...:thinking-006:

That being said, a good hockey fight is about all that makes it worth watching hockey games, so they should have more and stop those refs from getting in the middle of it...let them beat the pants off each other.

so boxing, mma, wrestling, judo, karate, jujitsu, tae kwan do, etc etc etc should be all banned and the participants charged with assault?

:thinking-006:

Talking moose
01-21-2016, 03:22 PM
Hunting is no longer needed to sustain life. It's brutal. I wouldn't mind one bit if it was gone. Totally not a necessity in this day and age.

bat119
01-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Why would anyone want to punch a guy in the helmet ? Gawd that must be hard on the hand.

Okotokian
01-21-2016, 03:26 PM
so boxing, mma, wrestling, judo, karate, jujitsu, tae kwan do, etc etc etc should be all banned and the participants charged with assault?

I'm pretty sure there is no rule against punching someone or grabbing them and throwing them to the ground in those sports, and no one get's penalized for it. That is the whole point in those sports. It's against the rules in hockey. So not absolutely comparable. Competitors in fighting sports consent to fight and be hit. Does Johnny Gaudreau actually consent to be punched and beat up by, say John Scott, by signing an NHL contract? Hard to say they are exactly equal.

The NHL will change their stance once:

It becomes clear more fans are turned off than turned on by it.
Someone dies.
They lose a big class action suit by former enforcers and their survivors.

I'm voting for the last one to be the most likely cause of change.

chasingtail
01-21-2016, 03:33 PM
JR A pretty much got rid of fighting. The arenas are empty now, very boring, most are close to folding.

wags
01-21-2016, 03:34 PM
I'm pretty sure there is no rule against punching someone or grabbing them and throwing them to the ground in those sports, and no one get's penalized for it. That is the whole point in those sports. It's against the rules in hockey. So not absolutely comparable. Competitors in fighting sports consent to fight and be hit. Does Johnny Gaudreau actually consent to be punched and beat up by, say John Scott, by signing an NHL contract? Hard to say they are exactly equal.

The NHL will change their stance once:

It becomes clear more fans are turned off than turned on by it.
Someone dies.
They lose a big class action suit by former enforcers and their survivors.

I'm voting for the last one to be the most likely cause of change.

I say comparable cause the poster said 'if this happened on the street it's illegal and they would be charged with assault' - so all of these sports would also be considered illegal if i did those things on the street. It was pointing out the ignorance of his statement :)

Furthermore to your point - fighting is far from the only thing you get penalized for in hockey. I'm sure Gaudreau doesn't sign up to be anything by John Scott. I'm sure Gaudreau signs his contract knowing full well that on any night, during any hockey game, there will be tripping, high sticking, elbowing, and fighting, as they are ALL part of the game of hockey.

Cheers

58thecat
01-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Hunting is no longer needed to sustain life. It's brutal. I wouldn't mind one bit if it was gone. Totally not a necessity in this day and age.

It will be after WWIII....

58thecat
01-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Oh my!

Please,you would sucker punch tha Habs fan beside you just because....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Rio56
01-21-2016, 05:06 PM
for me personally I have a few reservations about the fighting ..first off I don't have any kids in the hockey sport but do have many friends and relatives that do so I think I have some center ice feed back ...
Question is how do we
discipline our kids to watch and even play that type of game on the ice and when they walk out the front door of the arena .. OH wait you can't do that in public..

Brian Adams
01-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Fighting should be banned. I watch the NHL on tv and sometimes young
children are there watching it too. They do not need to see that. Fighting
is not allowed in other stick and ball sports. It's time for the NHL to
get out of the stone age.

drhu22
01-21-2016, 05:36 PM
My fondest memories of watching hockey are Lemieux/Gretsky against Russia, 72 series against Russia/Hendersons goal, Calgary Flames Stanley Cup, Flames 04 etc. Its always the excitement of a intense well played game or series that brings me back, not the desire to see fights.

I wouldnt miss it a bit.

Matt L.
01-21-2016, 05:41 PM
for me personally I have a few reservations about the fighting ..first off I don't have any kids in the hockey sport but do have many friends and relatives that do so I think I have some center ice feed back ...
Question is how do we
discipline our kids to watch and even play that type of game on the ice and when they walk out the front door of the arena .. OH wait you can't do that in public..

Umm, by parenting?

Rio56
01-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Umm, by parenting?

kool saying and reply Matt... so where's that in your parenting ... ??? how do you handle this with your kids ????

Holy Grounds Coffee
01-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Im all for it. They should allow use of hockey sticks when fighting too! be frickin outrageous!

58thecat
01-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Fighting should be banned. I watch the NHL on tv and sometimes young
children are there watching it too. They do not need to see that. Fighting
is not allowed in other stick and ball sports. It's time for the NHL to
get out of the stone age.

Please give it a rest.... Lacrosse comes to mind, oh cover the eyes of all the youth...

CanuckShooter
01-22-2016, 03:30 PM

THOSE...are fighting sports...completely different from hockey...just think, what is the objective of the game. :thinking-006:

CanuckShooter
01-22-2016, 03:36 PM
Im all for it. They should allow use of hockey sticks when fighting too! be frickin outrageous!

I'm with you, they do it in the WWE so why not the NHL....everyone knows it's all rigged, with the winners pre determined in both sports, so why not make it more entertaining. :scared0015:

CMichaud
01-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Ban it. Fight and get ejected and immediate game suspension.

You don't see too many fights in rugby, soccer, or football and those games are great to watch.

nekred
01-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Ban it. Fight and get ejected and immediate game suspension.

You don't see too many fights in rugby, soccer, or football and those games are great to watch.

Are you talking on the field or in the stands....

How many people have been trampled at hockey events? or is there such a thing as a hockey hooligan? if there is he is on the bench....not in the stands...

nekred
01-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Hockey without fighting would be like....

Crackers without cheese,

keep it going!....

Zuludog
01-22-2016, 03:57 PM
Obviously keep it. Lots of great points on here already on why to keep it and those in the know realize how important it is to the game. Those who don't get it well....like was said there's always soccer for you "guys". :)

There's fighting in all sports even baseball & football. Ironically fighting keeps the game clean and safer. That was a good tilt and McGrattan got caught flush on the chin and down he went, probably less chance of a concussion from that then being checked into the boards from behind.

muzzy
01-22-2016, 04:14 PM
My fondest memories of watching hockey are Lemieux/Gretsky against Russia, 72 series against Russia/Hendersons goal, Calgary Flames Stanley Cup, Flames 04 etc. Its always the excitement of a intense well played game or series that brings me back, not the desire to see fights.

I wouldnt miss it a bit.

72 series is that the one where Bobby Clarke viciously two handed Russia's star Kharlamov ankle to put him out of series ,Espositos threatened the russkies on every shift and 300 pound defenseman "moose" Vasko ran everything in sight?? Yeah I loved that series

Bypass
01-22-2016, 04:19 PM
More gloves and teeth on the ice fill more seats. It's the hockey culture in North America.

muzzy
01-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Best part of a baseball game is the bench clearing brawls...now if only darts could get out of hand