PDA

View Full Version : Pure Beer Law

Mangosteen
01-21-2016, 10:36 AM
I sure wish we had a pure beer law here in Canada. These days no telling what they put in our beer.

https://www.rt.com/news/329703-birthday-german-beer-purity/

TimeOff
01-21-2016, 11:18 AM
I don't drink beer often, but when I do, I enjoy Warsteiner!

Peace Meal Farm
01-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Yukon Brewing doesn't use chemicals or preservatives and brews some mighty tasty beer. Too bad it just got more expensive to purchase thanks to the protective tax increase : /

CaberTosser
01-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Okanagan Spring named their 1516 beer after this German law, perhaps that would be the appropriate refreshment for April 23rd. I'll have Mrs Caber serve it to me in the dirndl dress that she just revealed the existence of to me this past weekend.

3blade
01-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Germany's new population will outlaw beer.

I would formally like to extend the invitation to Germany's best brew masters to seek refugee status in Canada and immigrate immediately.

Red Bullets
01-21-2016, 12:36 PM
I don't drink beer but I have heard that beer from the States has been made through a special filtration system.....called "the horse". :sHa_shakeshout:

Twist
01-21-2016, 12:36 PM
I sure wish we had a pure beer law here in Canada. These days no telling what they put in our beer.

Amen. German beer purity laws would be good to have.

Twist
01-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Okanagan Spring named their 1516 beer after this German law, perhaps that would be the appropriate refreshment for April 23rd. I'll have Mrs Caber serve it to me in the dirndl dress that she just revealed the existence of to me this past weekend.

1516 is FANTASTIC beer. It is hands down my favourite.

CaberTosser
01-21-2016, 12:43 PM
She also makes stellar homemade pretzels. I'm sensing a very early Oktoberfest this coming spring :sHa_shakeshout:

Jeron Kahyar
01-21-2016, 12:51 PM
Yukon Brewing doesn't use chemicals or preservatives and brews some mighty tasty beer. Too bad it just got more expensive to purchase thanks to the protective tax increase : /
Their Lead Dog ale is a staple in my fridge. Great for a cool day in the summer or any other time of the year.

Grizzly Adams
01-21-2016, 01:37 PM
She also makes stellar homemade pretzels. I'm sensing a very early Oktoberfest this coming spring :sHa_shakeshout:

Wanna borrow my Lederhosen ? :lol:

Grizz

Peace Meal Farm
01-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Their Lead Dog ale is a staple in my fridge. Great for a cool day in the summer or any other time of the year.

I miss a lot from living up there, but the brewery is fairly high on my list.

Lead Dog and Ice Fog IPA are both like mother's milk : )

Okotokian
01-21-2016, 03:11 PM
As long as one of the final ingredients is alcohol, I don't care what else is in there with it. :)

Taristie
01-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Making your own beer is cheap and simple. Costs a little bit to get started but it's well worth the minimal effort.

Mangosteen
01-21-2016, 04:25 PM

It's the best.

calgarychef
01-21-2016, 05:27 PM
I like the beer law and I like beer made that way. If it was followed there would be many beers that wouldn't be available almost any Belgian beer, Kilkenny, Guinness, porters and lots more. The Belgians got away from using hops and began using other flavourings way back in history when the pope and Catholic Church had a monopoly on hops of all things :)

Dewey Cox
01-21-2016, 06:14 PM
If you want beer made that way, buy beer made that way.
The big breweries make most of their money on bud light style swill.
I would not be in favour of an actual law that told breweries how to brew their beer.
I mostly brew my own, or buy beer that doesn't taste like nothingness. I do keep bud light in the fridge, though, for friends of mine that like that sort of thing.

grouse_hunter
01-21-2016, 06:16 PM
The Belgians got away from using hops and began using other flavourings way back in history when the pope and Catholic Church had a monopoly on hops of all things :)

Hops was mainly used as a preservative, before that a variety of bitter botanicals served that purpose.

Long live the Reinheitsgebot!

From The Hip
01-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Clean water/malted barley/hops is all it takes to make beer or more specifically ales/lagers.The difference being that ales can ferment at room temperature and lagers need a cooler fermenting temperature and a longer period of "lagering" once fermentation is over.

With regards to water if it is ok to drink it it is OK to brew with it.With regards to making beer it is not rocket science or some deeply guarded alchemic secret.If you can make Kraft Dinner you can make beer that being said how deep into the hobby you get and how much you want to invest into brewing are factors you have to take into consideration.

I started out with an 8 gallon stainless steel kettle with a 1/2 inch ball valve and a thermometer and I bought 2 rectangular coolers from Walmart and with some work turned them into a mashtun/hot liquor tank(HLT) and I used that as a gravity feed system for well over a year and with wicked results and all whilst brewing on my kitchen stove.I did upgrade to an all in one unit that is automated for a constant recirculating mash called the Grainfather and it cost me $1200 and I now make even better beer as I am able to step mash and ramp up the temperature during the mash just like a full scale commercial brewery.....clean up is also easier and the small footprint of the unit is wicked.

To buy a case of decent beer it is well over $20.I buy my ingredients(malt/hops/yeast) in bulk so as to mitigate the cost and for me to make a 5 gallon batch of say an IPA loaded with up to 4 ounces of hops during the boil or even going crazy with the same amount plus another 6 ounces for dry hopping once fermentation is over for an IPA like Pliny The Elder costs me maybe $20 to make 5 gallons to enjoy on tap...no bottling and no nasty stuff at the bottom of the bottles.To do an average batch of a light bodied ale with a lighter hop profile it might cost me $10.

Make your own beer...it is easy.

FTH

ex811
01-21-2016, 07:39 PM

This is why I travel to Munich every few years...to quaff copious amounts of German Beer at the Hoffbrauhaus!!!

Matt L.
01-21-2016, 07:43 PM
This is why I travel to Munich every few years...to quaff copious amounts of German Beer at the Hoffbrauhaus!!!

Take me with you!:lol: That looks like a great time.

RandyBoBandy
01-21-2016, 08:25 PM

Looks like you are enjoying life !! Well done Sir :)

Habfan
01-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Making your own beer is cheap and simple. Costs a little bit to get started but it's well worth the minimal effort.

Maybe if you make it by the drum or keg ! It is far from minimal effort !! Just cleaning and sterilization of each and
every bottle was enough to turn me off making beer. Are you making it by the bottle or keg ??

sjemac
01-21-2016, 11:43 PM
The German purity laws no longer apply. They were repealed years ago. Stop relying on RT news for a source of any reliable information. It is the Russian national Inquirer/world weekly news.

Kim473
01-22-2016, 04:45 AM
Clean water/malted barley/hops is all it takes to make beer or more specifically ales/lagers.The difference being that ales can ferment at room temperature and lagers need a cooler fermenting temperature and a longer period of "lagering" once fermentation is over.

With regards to water if it is ok to drink it it is OK to brew with it.With regards to making beer it is not rocket science or some deeply guarded alchemic secret.If you can make Kraft Dinner you can make beer that being said how deep into the hobby you get and how much you want to invest into brewing are factors you have to take into consideration.

I started out with an 8 gallon stainless steel kettle with a 1/2 inch ball valve and a thermometer and I bought 2 rectangular coolers from Walmart and with some work turned them into a mashtun/hot liquor tank(HLT) and I used that as a gravity feed system for well over a year and with wicked results and all whilst brewing on my kitchen stove.I did upgrade to an all in one unit that is automated for a constant recirculating mash called the Grainfather and it cost me $1200 and I now make even better beer as I am able to step mash and ramp up the temperature during the mash just like a full scale commercial brewery.....clean up is also easier and the small footprint of the unit is wicked.

To buy a case of decent beer it is well over $20.I buy my ingredients(malt/hops/yeast) in bulk so as to mitigate the cost and for me to make a 5 gallon batch of say an IPA loaded with up to 4 ounces of hops during the boil or even going crazy with the same amount plus another 6 ounces for dry hopping once fermentation is over for an IPA like Pliny The Elder costs me maybe $20 to make 5 gallons to enjoy on tap...no bottling and no nasty stuff at the bottom of the bottles.To do an average batch of a light bodied ale with a lighter hop profile it might cost me $10.

Make your own beer...it is easy.

FTH

Making beer is actualy very easy. The filtering, cleaning bottles, caping etc.. is the hard, miserable part. I gave up on it and made wine instead. Bigger bottles so less cleaning etc. I stoped makeing both because of time restrictions in my daily living. Wish I had more time and money.

58thecat
01-22-2016, 05:49 AM
Making beer is actualy very easy. The filtering, cleaning bottles, caping etc.. is the hard, miserable part. I gave up on it and made wine instead. Bigger bottles so less cleaning etc. I stoped makeing both because of time restrictions in my daily living. Wish I had more time and money.

Nothing stopping you from putting the beer in bigger bottles:sHa_shakeshout:

58thecat
01-22-2016, 05:50 AM

Ahhhnthe signs of a very happy man...drink, eat and be merry!:)

58thecat
01-22-2016, 05:54 AM
Beer: Francis Saltus Saltus
What merry fairy, oh cool, delicious beer,
Gave thee the power through centuries to maintain
A charm that soothes dull care, and laughs at pain;
A power sad hearts to vitalize and cheer?

No blasé palate of thy drops can fear;
Once quaffed, lips eager, seek thy sweets again,
Without thee students sing no loud refrain;
Laughter and mirth depart, be thou not near.

And when I drink thee to my soul’s delight,
A vision of King Gambrinus, fat and gay,
Haunts me, and I behold bright tankards shine,
And hear him laugh with many a thirsty wight,
And merry maiden, drinking night and day,
In quaint, old, gabled towns along the Rhine.

Have a few tonight!:sHa_shakeshout:

Taristie
01-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Maybe if you make it by the drum or keg ! It is far from minimal effort !! Just cleaning and sterilization of each and
every bottle was enough to turn me off making beer. Are you making it by the bottle or keg ??

I make 46 liters at a time and bottle in 1 liter easy cap bottles (those bottles are a godsend when it comes to cleaning and capping!). The bottles pour two perfect pints as well.

Once you aquire the equipment and create an efficient system it is indeed very easy. I probably spend less time now making beer than I used to spend on trips to the beer store and bottle depot. And I know I spend substantially less denarii on brewskis.

The trade off is that I probably drink too much :)

Bill_K
01-22-2016, 12:22 PM
I used to make my own beer, but: (a) I don't drink much, so most of it went to my friends and neighbours; and (b) for the amount I drink, it's too much of a PITA to be constantly cleaning and sterilizing bottles.

I now spend less money and get better beer by supporting local micro brews, like The Troubled Monk and Blindman Breweries.

Kanonfodder
01-22-2016, 12:33 PM

most craft beers locally adhere plus dont usually pasteurize

Ariu
01-22-2016, 12:48 PM
The major brewers in DE adhere to rheinheitgebot but they must not - that rule was 'abgeschaft' long time ago. There are hundred small brewers in DE that do fancy fashion beer and do not adhere to rheinheitgebot. Rheinheitgebot or not Warsteiner is still the king.

Habfan
01-23-2016, 07:58 AM
I make 46 liters at a time and bottle in 1 liter easy cap bottles (those bottles are a godsend when it comes to cleaning and capping!). The bottles pour two perfect pints as well.

Once you aquire the equipment and create an efficient system it is indeed very easy. I probably spend less time now making beer than I used to spend on trips to the beer store and bottle depot. And I know I spend substantially less denarii on brewskis.

The trade off is that I probably drink too much :)

That sounds a lot better than the way I used to make it ! Do you have a ball park figure on cost of start up ?