PDA

View Full Version : Is a camera that much of a help

Tater 1
01-21-2016, 10:42 AM
I have been looking at cameras . Are they that much help ? Watch a lot of videos most say yes for finding fish and what's down there . So for the guy that have a camera are they that great ?

Thanks

waiting41
01-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Totally changed ice fishing for me.....the entertainment value alone makes a camera worth it. Just my opinion

cube
01-21-2016, 10:59 AM
I have been looking at cameras . Are they that much help ? Watch a lot of videos most say yes for finding fish and what's down there . So for the guy that have a camera are they that great ?

Thanks

I believe I can speak for a number of guys on here: the more toys the more fun when the fish are not biting.

I don't have a camera, as I move around to much, but I have used one in another guys tent. So I can comfortably say some times when the fish are just mouthing the bait and not really biting you can catch them if you have a camera. You simply set the hook when you see them slightly suck the hook into there mouths.

So we did catch a few that day with the camera where we were getting nothing with out.

huntsfurfish
01-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Love em. Would not want to go without one of my cameras.

Very useful- educational and entertaining.

edit: Doesnt matter if fishing is fast and furious or very poor. For me they are an essential part of ice fishing.

WayneChristie
01-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Love em. Would not want to go without one of my cameras.

Very useful- educational and entertaining.

edit: Doesnt matter if fishing is fast and furious or very poor. For me they are an essential part of ice fishing.

what he said :sHa_shakeshout: plus watching a pike eating your camera is always fun

kevinhits
01-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Keeps my kids very interested during the hours we are on the ice...Took my son out to Clear lake Tuesday and was amazed at the pike trying to eat my camera....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I love my camera as I can see what they like and if they are intersted in my presentation. Checking for structure and drop offs is a big help as well

HAHA...Beat me to it Wayne

Tater 1
01-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys looks like I need a camera .

Red Bullets
01-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Cameras are neat to watch the fish with but can also provide frustration when you are seeing fish but can't get them to bite.

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-21-2016, 12:14 PM
I believe a camera is awesome for learning the behavior of the target fish and entertaining but I fish with one guy that barely catches anything because he is either tweaking it this way or that.He spends more time mesmerized by his cam instead of fishing.I always ice 3-4 times the fish he does.I think if you know how to target a certain fish and diff methods you really don't need one.If I'm not getting fish I change my presentation or like yesterday I down sized my bait and hook for pike and iced more in the next hr then i did the hrs prior.

It is nice to see when to setthe hook though!

Landlocked_Newfie
01-21-2016, 12:16 PM
For ice fishing, yes, you know what's down there and what you're targeting, also you'll learn a lot on fish behavior.

Fishing from a boat: I found it to be generally too much hassle.

You probably want a camera rotator too for ice fishing or a 360 camera, I made my own wireless one, but they now have them available to buy.

Any pictures of your homemade camera panning unit? I'm working on building one myself from Remote Control servos and or motors from helicopters and 4x4 trucks. But I'm kinda leaning towards a low gear humidifier motor running off 12v wired back to tent.

Landlocked_Newfie
01-21-2016, 12:19 PM

Thanks
I won't go ice fishing without my 15yr old Aqua-Vu camera. Mainly to accurately see structure below. It can really speed up learning what you are seeing on your flasher or sonar. Plus they are a tonne of fun.

LEXUSJAKE
01-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Wouldn't head out to the ice shack without it! Had one for 3 seasons now and find it very entertaining to watch pike come in to the hook, play around, get competitive when other pike in the area and finally strike! Worst thing is having the camera hole to close to your ice fishing hole and the pike almost always want to swim to the camera cable, catch it and the barrel roll the cable around the body!! Then have to pull the pike up with the camera cable, cut the fishing line and start over!! Lots of fun, kids especially find them very entertaining, ice shack is always busy when family day going on at Pine Lake!
Get to see "what's down there"1
Just using a cheaper model of Fish TV but works quite well!

dwedmon
01-21-2016, 01:00 PM
I have the opposite view, I hardly ever use my camera. I find sonar is a lot more useful. The camera is fun for the kids to play with but not nearly as useful as sonar.

Plus I like to be mobile and the more things you need to pack up the more of a pain it is to move.

HoytCRX32
01-21-2016, 04:33 PM
Wouldn't head out to the ice shack without it! Had one for 3 seasons now and find it very entertaining to watch pike come in to the hook, play around, get competitive when other pike in the area and finally strike! Worst thing is having the camera hole to close to your ice fishing hole and the pike almost always want to swim to the camera cable, catch it and the barrel roll the cable around the body!! Then have to pull the pike up with the camera cable, cut the fishing line and start over!! Lots of fun, kids especially find them very entertaining, ice shack is always busy when family day going on at Pine Lake!
Get to see "what's down there"1
Just using a cheaper model of Fish TV but works quite well!

How far should your camera hole be from your fishing hole (assuming reasonably clear water)?

Sooner
01-21-2016, 05:08 PM
Dad won a fish tv, black and white monitor. Tried it once, do deep and dark. Second time out at Calling we were shallower and it was neat to see the structure etc. Was going to sell it, may just try it some more seeing it was free.

-JR-
01-21-2016, 05:15 PM
I was out at a lake with mine. Viewed many fish coming up to the hook and swam away . Just not hungry. Talked to others fishermen as they were leaving saying never coming back as there is no fish in the lake !

old dog
01-21-2016, 07:03 PM
I was always told to get a flasher before a camera. So I did but then got one and now have two. I live by my flasher but lots of fun with the camera and yes can help u hook one or two fish. Now which one for you. Good luck

stubblejumper01
01-21-2016, 09:48 PM
Last time I was at Slave, I had walleye coming in and just looking at the jigs. One was a still line,I was jigging the other. They just looked for a bit then slowly swam away. After a couple of fish doing this I waited till another came in and then dropped the jig onto the bottom and left it there. Next thing I know the walleye picks it up. One keeper. Next fish comes in,I did the same thing. Another legal sized one. Caught several this way, then they became more aggressive and started hitting the jigged one. I would never have caught those without the camera.
I also had quite a few burbot come by. I pulled the bait away from all but the largest ones, and it was easy to trigger them to strike. Sometimes all it takes is to lift the bait a short distance 2 or 3 times and they often chase and strike. That works on pike, walleye,burbot and perch. I would not have keyed on these techniques without my camera. It definitely helps me catch more fish than I did without one. I've never used a flasher but I don't think I would have learned as much from flashing lights? I don't think you could tell what kind of fish are down there.
I've seen perch come in and changed rods to drop a perch hook down and then catch perch when walleye or pike come around I switch back to bigger baits so I don't lose my favourite perch hooks. Anyway I love my camera and never go ice fishing without one.

huntsfurfish
01-21-2016, 10:03 PM
I believe a camera is awesome for learning the behavior of the target fish and entertaining but I fish with one guy that barely catches anything because he is either tweaking it this way or that.He spends more time mesmerized by his cam instead of fishing.I always ice 3-4 times the fish he does.I think if you know how to target a certain fish and diff methods you really don't need one.If I'm not getting fish I change my presentation or like yesterday I down sized my bait and hook for pike and iced more in the next hr then i did the hrs prior.

It is nice to see when to setthe hook though!

Yup, you might even catch more fish than me too, but I am selective of who gets a ride to the surface.:) Love teasing them.

Like your friend, I also like to play with the cameras and fishfinders.lol

cube
01-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Last time I was at Slave, I had walleye coming in and just looking at the jigs. One was a still line,I was jigging the other. They just looked for a bit then slowly swam away. After a couple of fish doing this I waited till another came in and then dropped the jig onto the bottom and left it there. Next thing I know the walleye picks it up. One keeper. Next fish comes in,I did the same thing. Another legal sized one. Caught several this way, then they became more aggressive and started hitting the jigged one. I would never have caught those without the camera.
I also had quite a few burbot come by. I pulled the bait away from all but the largest ones, and it was easy to trigger them to strike. Sometimes all it takes is to lift the bait a short distance 2 or 3 times and they often chase and strike. That works on pike, walleye,burbot and perch. I would not have keyed on these techniques without my camera. It definitely helps me catch more fish than I did without one. I've never used a flasher but I don't think I would have learned as much from flashing lights? I don't think you could tell what kind of fish are down there.
I've seen perch come in and changed rods to drop a perch hook down and then catch perch when walleye or pike come around I switch back to bigger baits so I don't lose my favourite perch hooks. Anyway I love my camera and never go ice fishing without one.

To me the only reason I would like a camera is so I can get a more accurate sizing and species. For instance, walleye can look like whitefish on a sonar but you might want to fish them different. Large schools of shiners look like large schools of small perch on a sonar and knowing the difference would help me match the hatch when going for pike.

Other than that I think the camera would probably cause me to catch less fish overall. As Dave Genz says "any think that stops you from moving will cause you to catch less fish" and I believe having to set up cameras would indeed cause one to stay put.

PlayDoh
01-22-2016, 10:01 AM
You want to consider the water clarity of the water(s) you fish.
Sometimes the camera will keep fish away, or just keep them away for awhile.
Lastly if your after walleye than your not going to see tons of action for the most part. Atleast that's from my experience. Eyes like low light conditions. Most eye footage I have is pretty grainy.

With that said seeing the bottom structure and your lure action is enough of a reason to use one. A great tool for sure.

I use my GoPro with some antenna cable and an iPad. I'm also making another camera from an IR security camera. It has the same camera as a $700 Aqua Vu but I got it for $20 from China.

With all that said I rarely use a camera. I like to move when needed and a camera takes time. Time away from fishing. And I'm sure scares away fish at/most of the time. It's kinda like dropping a small anchor and fishing a couple feet away from it.

CMichaud
01-22-2016, 11:03 AM
I do not have a camera but a couple oft he the chaps I go out with do.

I found it fascinating to watch the fish come in and gulp/spit bait.

I learned a lot just watching how they approach and size up bait etc.

We saw approx 100 trout on the one outing and they did not appear to be spooked in the slightest by the camera (in a couple of cases swimming right by it close in)

The last outing to Devils Lake, we saw one walleye and several pike swim by. Again, interesting to see how they react to the lure/bait.

Definitely helps on a slow day to let you know if the no-bite issues are location or fish behavior based.

That said, the cons are:

Portability
Very limited use in murky water
Limited use in deep water (depending on water and camera light source)

I ended up with a flasher. I like it but I am not that good with it yet. I will eventually get a camera as well (I use the excuse that it will be to keep the kids entertained of course)

Supergrit
01-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Cameras keep it interesting they are another thing to move and set up. Some times cameras help and some times they don't has been my experience with them. I guess you will learn when to use them and when not to.

aulrich
01-22-2016, 04:02 PM
A camera is no good if the fish are somewhere else I the water column.

A flasher won't show you what type of fish are looking at your hook

A camera needs a second hole

you can't put a PVR on a flasher you would be surprised what you see when you go through the security camera type footage. One day we got skunked but on the review we found that we had fish looking at the bait every few minutes they were just "on camera" for 10 seconds at a time.

A flasher has a fish alarm

Cameras are better in a tent

The universal law of "There ain't no free lunch" Applies

It's fun having both have the camera on the dead stick and the flash on the jigging hole but then you packing lots of stuff.

stubblejumper01
01-24-2016, 06:27 PM
To me the only reason I would like a camera is so I can get a more accurate sizing and species. For instance, walleye can look like whitefish on a sonar but you might want to fish them different. Large schools of shiners look like large schools of small perch on a sonar and knowing the difference would help me match the hatch when going for pike.

Other than that I think the camera would probably cause me to catch less fish overall. As Dave Genz says "any think that stops you from moving will cause you to catch less fish" and I believe having to set up cameras would indeed cause one to stay put.

Usually at Slave I drill 4 or 5 holes about 10 feet apart. I then drop the camera down each one. As soon as I see a fish I drill 2 more holes about 3 feet apart , put the tent over 2 of them with the camera just outside the tent, facing the 2 holes in the tent so I can see both rigs. Most times I can stay in one spot all day and consistently catch fish all day. Very rarely do I have to move. And even if I do move it really only takes a minute or two to deal with the camera
If it's not windy I don't bother with the tent but do the same spacing so I can see both hooks on camera. You'd be surprised how many fish suck in and spit out the bait without your line moving,especially perch. The camera helps you catch these light biters. Also it gives you the option of pulling your hook away from the small ones. I do that with burbs and pike all the time too