PDA

View Full Version : Canadian foods...Scary stat.

Red Bullets
01-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Try to buy Canadian foods eh. These stats are sad.

https://www.facebook.com/DannyHunter47/videos/10150582507585605/

Grizzly Adams
01-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Like about everything else, we've become dependent on foreigners, costing us right now and isn't going to improve.

Grizz

muzzy
01-21-2016, 12:32 PM
Hard to grow canadian fruits and veggies when the ground is frozen and theres two feet of snow on it for 6 months not to mention all the pollinating insects are either hibernating or in mexico for winter duh

Okotokian
01-21-2016, 12:32 PM
YEAH! I'm going to go out and pick some broccoli and cucumbers right now! ohhh, there's a foot of snow on the ground.

The government should FORCE farmers to grow vegetables instead of cereal crops. ;)

In a free market, producers will grow what they feel is most profitable. Good for them, good for consumers. I don't care where my tomato comes from.

Red Bullets
01-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Hard to grow canadian fruits and veggies when the ground is frozen and theres two feet of snow on it for 6 months not to mention all the pollinating insects are either hibernating or in mexico for winter duh

Ever heard of root cellars people used in the past for storage. I'm sure with our technology we could produce and store veggies and fruits year round right here in Canada.

bobcatguy
01-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Build greenhouses around refineries , etc. And grow fresh vegies year round using the waste heat

Okotokian
01-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Build greenhouses around refineries , etc. And grow fresh vegies year round using the waste heat

Brilliant!

"We don't produce greenhouse gases from dirty oil! We produce CO2, the very building block of life for our greenhouses full of healthy, nutritious, ORGANIC vegetables for the vegans of the world!" :)

Grizzly Adams
01-21-2016, 01:33 PM

Think they're doing that at Joffre now.

Grizz

Unregistered user
01-21-2016, 01:41 PM
They built greenhouses to grow tomatoes using free heat from Bruce Power nuke plant. It was a flop. A Vancouver pharmaceutical firm is looking to get a grow licence for med pot in the same facility, that might work.

Red Bullets
01-21-2016, 03:02 PM
Utilizing thermal heating and good old sunlight we can heat greenhouses. If we grew subterranean gardens with diffused sunlight we could also grow all year long. Think of all the south facing hillsides we have throughout the country that we could develop into glass fronted greenhouses. Supplemented with thermal heat we would be good to produce year round. Southern Alberta and Saskatchewan are the sunniest places in Canada, known as the sunbelt of Canada.

Make a glass box and put it in the winter sun. The sun will turn the thermometer up to +30C degrees or more in a short time. The sun is actually the strongest, during winter, in February. Just the days are short.

Even the NWT's are developing greenhouses for the north's short growing season.
http://www.farmnwt.com/content/cannor-building-new-generation-greenhouses-northwest-territories

I remember when mandarin oranges were considered exotic. Nowadays I haven't even tried half of the fruits I see in the store and until recently didn't even know they existed.

And the sad thing is there is rarely fresh Canadian grown fruits and berries available in stores, even in season.

220swifty
01-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Think they're doing that at Joffre now.

Grizz

You would be correct.

Bigwoodsman
01-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Utilizing thermal heating and good old sunlight we can heat greenhouses. If we grew subterranean gardens with diffused sunlight we could also grow all year long. Think of all the south facing hillsides we have throughout the country that we could develop into glass fronted greenhouses. Supplemented with thermal heat we would be good to produce year round. Southern Alberta and Saskatchewan are the sunniest places in Canada, known as the sunbelt of Canada.

Make a glass box and put it in the winter sun. The sun will turn the thermometer up to +30C degrees or more in a short time. The sun is actually the strongest, during winter, in February. Just the days are short.

Even the NWT's are developing greenhouses for the north's short growing season.
http://www.farmnwt.com/content/cannor-building-new-generation-greenhouses-northwest-territories

I remember when mandarin oranges were considered exotic. Nowadays I haven't even tried half of the fruits I see in the store and until recently didn't even know they existed.

And the sad thing is there is rarely fresh Canadian grown fruits and berries available in stores, even in season.

Sounds like a diversification project to me. One we all could benefit from.

BW

Red Bullets
01-21-2016, 03:44 PM
We wouldn't have to worry about some other country using food warfare in the future either.

albertadeer
01-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Grubberment should hand out tax refunds for producing your own food...

recce43
01-21-2016, 04:57 PM
sounds lile we are to spoiled now..
I have a garden and greenhouse . I pickle , can , freeze veggies .

Sundancefisher
01-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Buy canned. Better for you. Picked ripe. Canned fresh. Available all year.

Redfrog
01-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Consumer gets what consumer demands.

Have you seen the commercials where a woman can't even pee la and cutup a potato without instructions, help, and wcb/ohs on site? We need frozen McCains:thinking-006:

Not a lot of people growing their own, or freezing, canning etc. Heck I know more than a few places where the fruit rots on the ground, while the owner is at the superstore buying imported fruit.

A lot of folks like a holstein standing on her bag. Rather bawl than do something about it.

What kind of person puts a $9 head of cauliflower in their cart.?:thinking-006:

grouse_hunter
01-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Learn to garden and support your local farmers market! I'd say 65 percent of my food comes from Alberta, 25 from BC and 10 percent is imported stuff. I like to see my money going directly into a local business.