PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing is cheap!!!!!!

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-21-2016, 05:44 PM
All ya need is an $800 flasher,$700 camera,a quad/ski-doo,$600 auger,$400 tent$400 tackle,license,$500 for fuel each season, bait and beer!

I would spend double! Then comes summer:bad_boys_20:

korie83
01-21-2016, 06:23 PM
I mean you could get by with just some line, hooks, bait, license, and a hand auger. Could be done for sub $100 if you wanted.

Fil_Can_Yakker
01-21-2016, 06:52 PM
But I guess you can buy the happiness [emoji38][emoji38]

Scott N
01-21-2016, 07:18 PM
I mean you could get by with just some line, hooks, bait, license, and a hand auger. Could be done for sub $100 if you wanted.

He's 100% correct. I enjoy the bells and whistles, but there is something fun about how simple ice fishing can be.

RavYak
01-21-2016, 07:27 PM

If I had to get by on crappy rods, no power auger, no shelter, no heater etc I would give up on ice fishing lol.

Brandonkop
01-21-2016, 08:01 PM
Ice can be very cheap.... a hatchet 20 bucks, 8 pound line 4 bucks, one slender spoon 4 bucks and you're ready to catch fish on early ice.

Compared to ocean fishing ice fishing is dirt cheap. I was at the Vancouver Boat Show last night and the 28 foot fishing boats go for $200,000-300,000. So in comparison there is a little room for a tent, buddy heater, auger, sled, and boxes full of shiny lures.

But that's ok... RavYak is going to spot me a Buck Fifty ;)

pinelakeperch
01-21-2016, 08:03 PM
If I had to get by on crappy rods, no power auger, no shelter, no heater etc I would give up on ice fishing lol.

This, haha!

cube
01-21-2016, 08:27 PM

Yep! except we used a spud bar/ice chisel to reopen holes for the first couple of years.

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Ice can be very cheap.... a hatchet 20 bucks, 8 pound line 4 bucks, one slender spoon 4 bucks and you're ready to catch fish on early ice.

Compared to ocean fishing ice fishing is dirt cheap. I was at the Vancouver Boat Show last night and the 28 foot fishing boats go for $200,000-300,000. So in comparison there is a little room for a tent, buddy heater, auger, sled, and boxes full of shiny lures.

But that's ok... RavYak is going to spot me a Buck Fifty ;)

Right in the price range for a doctor haha

Brandonkop
01-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Right in the price range for a doctor haha

Maybe a few doctors... I have to convince my brother to split one with me, haha! I'm thinking a few years used might bring down the cost a bit, cause the new ones are nice but not affordable at the moment. Oh well, house renos first I keep saying.

Wes_G
01-21-2016, 10:09 PM
I don't know how you guys do it!! I drill 30 holes spread out over 50 yards of ice and move from hole to hole every few minutes unless the action is fast and furious at one particular one. The key for me is being mobile and that means having as little crap out there with me as possible. I would go stir crazy sitting in a hut staring down 1 hole all day.

Brandonkop
01-21-2016, 10:58 PM
I don't know how you guys do it!! I drill 30 holes spread out over 50 yards of ice and move from hole to hole every few minutes unless the action is fast and furious at one particular one. The key for me is being mobile and that means having as little crap out there with me as possible. I would go stir crazy sitting in a hut staring down 1 hole all day.

Yeah I agree I'm highly mobile, we don't usually set up a tent. Just a couple rods, a marcum and the gopro on a tripod and I'm trolling. I'd have less to carry if it wasn't for youtube.

Bowhntr4life
01-21-2016, 11:35 PM
Yeah I agree I'm highly mobile, we don't usually set up a tent. Just a couple rods, a marcum and the gopro on a tripod and I'm trolling. I'd have less to carry if it wasn't for youtube.

Btw, thanks for all your efforts to get your videos on youtube for everyone. It's a lot of work and I've enjoyed watching them the last few years. It really helps to figure out the lakes a bit more in this province and to help me plan my fishing trips. You do a great job and I appreciate the extra effort you put in!

Red Bullets
01-22-2016, 12:11 AM
Yep! except we used a spud bar/ice chisel to reopen holes for the first couple of years.

I used an ice chisel for 40 years. And quite a few years I would stop along the way to the lake to set an under ice beaver trap or two and then go ice fishing. My chisel could go through 2 feet of ice in 5 minutes. The best part was the chisel never got dull and never broke down. I could make wide angle holes any size or shape. And my chisel was only a one time 50 dollar investment. No gas or maintenance except sharpen once a season.

My gear is a pail with a seat lid, a dipper, and my chisel. A few hooks, extra socks, lunch and a thermos in the pail. If I want to look down the hole or get out of the wind or cold I have a big black bag I keep rolled up in the pail. The biggest cost ice fishing is the yearly licence and the gas to get there.

Barnes19
01-22-2016, 08:25 AM
And when ice conditions are right you can access the entire lake even if you don't own a boat.

drhu22
01-25-2016, 06:10 PM
I used an ice chisel for 40 years. And quite a few years I would stop along the way to the lake to set an under ice beaver trap or two and then go ice fishing. My chisel could go through 2 feet of ice in 5 minutes. The best part was the chisel never got dull and never broke down. I could make wide angle holes any size or shape. And my chisel was only a one time 50 dollar investment. No gas or maintenance except sharpen once a season.
My gear is a pail with a seat lid, a dipper, and my chisel. A few hooks, extra socks, lunch and a thermos in the pail. If I want to look down the hole or get out of the wind or cold I have a big black bag I keep rolled up in the pail. The biggest cost ice fishing is the yearly licence and the gas to get there.

Good on you Redbullets... thats my kind of ice fishing!

EZM
01-25-2016, 06:41 PM
I, too, prefer to have high quality equipment when on the ice ...... makes things easier and more enjoyable. Really, I bet the average guy here has over $1000 worth of ice gear.

The way I look at it " I can't afford to buy cheap equipment"

It's not like we are all doctors practicing medicine in California ...... er ..... wait ..... sorry Brandon ..... just teasing

All kidding aside, I have a friend who is a Doctor (GP) in California, and although the average salary (according to him) is $200K, think of the prices of the homes down there !!!!!!!!!!

You got to get into private practice, a specialty, or become a cosmetic surgeon before you are making any real jack if you are living in California.

cube
01-26-2016, 05:12 PM
I, too, prefer to have high quality equipment when on the ice ...... makes things easier and more enjoyable. Really, I bet the average guy here has over $1000 worth of ice gear.

The way I look at it " I can't afford to buy cheap equipment"

I too have many toys now including nice rods and reels. Does not mean my old uncle would not out fish me just about every time with just a spool of line and a hand full of old hooks. Some time experience counts.

I am reminded of a quote from an instructor on a survival course I took. "Equipment is for the ignorant. The more knowledge and experience you have the less equipment you need."

Still love my toys though:)

fitzy
01-26-2016, 05:53 PM
Yeah but after spending all that money it's a guarantee to limit out every time ... at least that's what I try telling my wife.