PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with llamas

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 12:19 PM
Hi, all - I am new to this site but found some old messages re using pack llamas for hunting. I am a pack llama breeder and past Secretary of the North American Ccara Association - a registry for a breed of tall, athletic pack stock.

Currently there is a proposed revision - under pressure from the B.C. Guide Outfitters - to the B.C. 2016 hunting regulations to ban sheep, goats & llamas as pack stock for hunters. Reasons cited have been a 2002 report titled "Communicable Disease Risk to Wildlife from Camelids" (llamas & alpacas) by Fish & Wildlife vet Dr. Helen Schwantje.

Schwantje clearly states on p. 5 of this report that llamas were NOT SHOWN to present any unusual degree of risk of disease transmission to wild game.

American packers have known this for years because such rulings have been challenged in Alaska and Utah to name a couple of places, and were proven over & over to be invalid. Domestic goats & sheep DO INDEED pose a disease risk to wild sheep/goats and are banned from the backcountry in many areas.
NOT SO WITH LLAMAS!

Schwantje recommended banning llamas in her report conclusions because of pressure from the B.C. Guide Outfitters. Check it out.

Many former horse packers have switched to llamas for their fall elk hunts as llamas are so much more 'eco-friendly', and easier to pack & handle. Perfect for those hunters who prefer to walk.

There is so much mis-information floating around. Not every llama is suitable as a packer. The Ccara breed is rare and hard to find. Anyone wanting further info please contact me - happy to help.

Bev Henry
Barriere, B.C.

catnthehat
01-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Howdy and Welcome!
I am not familiar with lamas except to stay the heck out of the way of wwbirds' critters when we are on his property as he keeps them to ward off coyotes for his pheasants!:thinking-006:
I do know that they have been used successfully for many generations throughout North America however.
Cat

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 12:31 PM
Thank you!
Yep - llamas do tend to want to challenge anything new on their turf. Coyotes beware!
Looking forward to chatting with some of you.
Bev

Selkirk
01-22-2016, 01:13 PM
Hunting with llamas . . .

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/mtstandard.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/17/4179906f-3d05-58c6-ba6f-e351033bf60b/5593556361620.image.jpg?resize=620%2C414

Google link ... https://www.google.ca/search?q=hunting+with+llamas&biw=1165&bih=846&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3s7TXmr7KAhUJwmMKHXaeBRsQ_AUIBigA&dpr=1

:cheers:

Mac

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Great photo - nice llama!

Selkirk
01-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Thanks! She's a real sweetheart.

Her name is Betsy

Mac ;)

Redfrog
01-22-2016, 01:44 PM
I understaand you are selling llamas but I'm not sure what you mean by

"Schwantje clearly states on p. 5 of this report that llamas were NOT SHOWN to present any unusual degree of risk of disease transmission to wild game."

Does that mean they present the usual risk to wild sheep and goats. If you have seen the decimation that presently occurs from disease in wild herd, zero risk is the only acceptable risk. Why add an additional risk to the mix?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archive/index.php/t-215924.html

Matt L.
01-22-2016, 02:27 PM
The only experience I have with llamas is that cougars seem to find them delicious. Although I can see the benefits of them as a pack animal in mountain country seeing as that's what they were domesticated for.

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 02:28 PM
They do not carry the same diseases. No more risk than horses, mules, dogs, people - likely less. ANY intrusion into wild game territory presents a degree of risk, no matter how minor. And eco-friendly llamas are so much easier on fragile terrain than horses or powered vehicles.

I have retired from breeding/selling but I still like to promote these great critters. And Mac - where did you get your lovely girl? Very few like her left in Canada!

Bigwoodsman
01-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Welcome to the site. Don't know much about llamas but they do look interesting.

BW

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Yes, cougars/grizzlies are a risk. And to horses also. But ANY person with half a brain would never THINK of leaving a picketed animal unattended in camp. When you remove their flight option, it's your responsibility to compensate. Take an extra person to stay in camp- whatever.

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 02:38 PM
Thank you all for the welcome!
Seems like a varied & interesting group. I don't want to start a war here but I did see some mis-information earlier that disturbed me. The report written by Dr. Schwantje recommending the banning of llamas from B.C. backcountry caused all sorts of grief all over North America, due to politics, not science. Not good.

cowmanbob
01-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Yes, cougars/grizzlies are a risk. And to horses also. But ANY person with half a brain would never THINK of leaving a picketed animal unattended in camp. When you remove their flight option, it's your responsibility to compensate. Take an extra person to stay in camp- whatever.

I've got a couple of horses and a mule that I picket out while i'm out for the day hunting. Never had any problems. Wouldn't be much of a loss if a grizzly decided to take out a few Llamas.

drake
01-22-2016, 03:27 PM
I've got a couple of horses and a mule that I picket out while i'm out for the day hunting. Never had any problems. Wouldn't be much of a loss if a grizzly decided to take out a few Llamas.

ahahah....that made me chuckle!!

nelsonob1
01-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Seems like a varied & interesting group. I don't want to start a war here but I did see some mis-information earlier that disturbed me. The report written by Dr. Schwantje recommending the banning of llamas from B.C. backcountry caused all sorts of grief all over North America, due to politics, not science. Not good.

Hi Bev,

Would you be able to provide any information on what it takes to acquire a llama for use in the back country? Are there any forums I could get info? I would be very interested in learning more.

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 04:52 PM

Naaah....llamas wouldn't work for you. They are too smart for the aveage person....

rednuck
01-22-2016, 05:28 PM
can older animals be trained? I was given a 8 and 6 year old. They are going to hopefully guard the calves this spring. If it wasn't for fences I'm pretty sure they would of killed a few coyotes already and I've only had them 2 weeks

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Training older animal - Depends on the type - if they would be worth the time. If they are good pack-type llamas, and already have a degree of basic respect for humans, by all means. My old stud was packing until he was 24. Check out the North American Ccara Association website - just google it. There are many photos & explanations of desirable conformation there. Lots of good contacts for advice on hunting with them - notably Al Ellis of Highline Trails Llamas in Wyoming. They put on free packing seminars & workshops every spring, around April - this year is quite close to the border I think.
Llamas are pretty easy to train, once you understand the llama mind.

Red Bullets
01-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Hi Bev,

Would you be able to provide any information on what it takes to acquire a llama for use in the back country? Are there any forums I could get info? I would be very interested in learning more.

http://www.llamapack.com/text/packanimals.html

Welcome Bev. I had wondered about llama's a while back. I know llama's for packing in the mountains is being discussed but was wondering how they would do in the badlands type of territory? Eg. soft feet and cactii.

Redfrog
01-22-2016, 06:03 PM

Hmmm which is it?

You posted

"Schwantje clearly states on p. 5 of this report that llamas were NOT SHOWN to present any unusual degree of risk of disease transmission to wild game"

To explain away the risk.

If there are some pack animals that are a risk now, why would anyone want more types of animal risk.

rednuck
01-22-2016, 06:32 PM
Training older animal - Depends on the type - if they would be worth the time. If they are good pack-type llamas, and already have a degree of basic respect for humans, by all means. My old stud was packing until he was 24. Check out the North American Ccara Association website - just google it. There are many photos & explanations of desirable conformation there. Lots of good contacts for advice on hunting with them - notably Al Ellis of Highline Trails Llamas in Wyoming. They put on free packing seminars & workshops every spring, around April - this year is quite close to the border I think.
Llamas are pretty easy to train, once you understand the llama mind.

I was told they were prime wool animals, so probably not the packing type. They are good with humans, one will even lead around with a child on her back.

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 07:09 PM
http://www.llamapack.com/text/packanimals.html

Welcome Bev. I had wondered about llama's a while back. I know llama's for packing in the mountains is being discussed but was wondering how they would do in the badlands type of territory? Eg. soft feet and cactii.

I am sorry I don't have an answer to this one! Their feet aren't all that soft - more like a really tough leathery pad. But cactus?
Google the North American Ccara Association and ask any of the executive.They can direct you to packers who
have experience with desert travel. Sorry can't be more help!

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 07:16 PM
I was told they were prime wool animals, so probably not the packing type. They are good with humans, one will even lead around with a child on her back.

They sound like nice llamas! But - Prime wool type - likely not suitable for packing. You need tall, long-striding, short wool llamas like the beauty whose photo is at the beginning of this discussion.

Heavy wool llama tend to overheat, and don't usually have an athletic build.
You probably wouldn't choose an Alaska Malemute for duck hunting, nor would you set out to tree a cougar with a couple of toy poodles!

Packing with llamas - same idea. You need a type (the Ccara) designed for the job.

Justanotherbuck2
01-22-2016, 08:48 PM
I had a look and thin it would be a great hunting partner, don't really want to own one, any way of leasing one for a week or all of Nov.?

Bev Henry
01-22-2016, 08:59 PM
I had a look and thin it would be a great hunting partner, don't really want to own one, any way of leasing one for a week or all of Nov.?

There are a few U.S. packers who rent out trained llamas & pack gear. None that I know of in Canada though.

nreid99
06-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Hi, all - I am new to this site but found some old messages re using pack llamas for hunting. I am a pack llama breeder and past Secretary of the North American Ccara Association - a registry for a breed of tall, athletic pack stock.

Currently there is a proposed revision - under pressure from the B.C. Guide Outfitters - to the B.C. 2016 hunting regulations to ban sheep, goats & llamas as pack stock for hunters. Reasons cited have been a 2002 report titled "Communicable Disease Risk to Wildlife from Camelids" (llamas & alpacas) by Fish & Wildlife vet Dr. Helen Schwantje.

Schwantje clearly states on p. 5 of this report that llamas were NOT SHOWN to present any unusual degree of risk of disease transmission to wild game.

American packers have known this for years because such rulings have been challenged in Alaska and Utah to name a couple of places, and were proven over & over to be invalid. Domestic goats & sheep DO INDEED pose a disease risk to wild sheep/goats and are banned from the backcountry in many areas.
NOT SO WITH LLAMAS!

Schwantje recommended banning llamas in her report conclusions because of pressure from the B.C. Guide Outfitters. Check it out.

Many former horse packers have switched to llamas for their fall elk hunts as llamas are so much more 'eco-friendly', and easier to pack & handle. Perfect for those hunters who prefer to walk.

There is so much mis-information floating around. Not every llama is suitable as a packer. The Ccara breed is rare and hard to find. Anyone wanting further info please contact me - happy to help.

Bev Henry
Barriere, B.C.
I'm an avid back-country hunter that would be perfectly happy to never again get on a horse. I have been interested in Llamas for a while but I'm not sure how to get started. I have a acreage in Alberta and own a flock of laying hens but I'm not a farmer. How would I get started? What kind of commitment would I be getting into? Does it take a lot of training time? Any rental/trial opportunities?

elkdump
06-26-2017, 11:04 AM

X 2 back in the good rush days in BC the prospectors used Camels for packing,,,

:thinking-006: , the second ugliest animal on earth, next to a llama ,,,

We already have our share of ugly ( moose) , don't need more ugly :sHa_sarcasticlol:

purgatory.sv
06-26-2017, 11:57 AM
The hate is everywhere,moose are majestic.:)

waterninja
06-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Howdy and Welcome!
I am not familiar with lamas except to stay the heck out of the way of wwbirds' critters when we are on his property as he keeps them to ward off coyotes for his pheasants!:thinking-006:
I do know that they have been used successfully for many generations throughout North America however.
CatLama's ward of coyotes for pheasants?? Interesting

Mikeham
06-26-2017, 01:25 PM
The only experience I have with llamas is that cougars seem to find them delicious.

I find them delicious too. 👍🏼

Grizzly Adams
06-26-2017, 05:14 PM
I find them delicious too. 👍🏼

Let's just say, if a certain one shows up here AGAIN, i may find out how they taste. :lol: Son tried it in Peru, normal table fare there.

Grizz

270person
06-26-2017, 06:23 PM
If I owned llamas I would name them all Fernando and yell "da plane boss, da plane" at them all day long.

270person
06-26-2017, 06:26 PM
I also read the post as Hunting with Hamas and thought, "hunting with Palestinian Sunni-Islamic fundamentalists?" I have to read this.