PDA

View Full Version : maggot and meal worms shelf life?

gotcha10oz
01-22-2016, 12:38 PM
So, i bought some maggot and meal warms last week from Cabela and used only about half bag worth. Wondering:

1. how long do they live in fridge when i bring them back home?

2. how long do they live out in room temperature?

3. If they are dead, do they still yield some bites?

Thanks.

AdverseCity
01-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Leave maggots in the fridge and they'll be good for awhile, if you leave them at room temperature they'll turn into wingless flies. I've kept them in a fridge for 2-3 months before and still had mostly live ones. As they die they'll turn brown and should be removed but I never lost more than 15-20% after a couple months.

Meal worms I don't know but I'd assume the same technique will get the best lifespan from them.

ROA
01-22-2016, 12:57 PM
I've had meal worms live a year in the fridge. The older they get the harder the shell gets and the better they stay on the hook.

gotcha10oz
01-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Leave maggots in the fridge and they'll be good for awhile, if you leave them at room temperature they'll turn into wingless flies. I've kept them in a fridge for 2-3 months before and still had mostly live ones. As they die they'll turn brown and should be removed but I never lost more than 15-20% after a couple months.

Meal worms I don't know but I'd assume the same technique will get the best lifespan from them.

thanks AdverseCity

what about freezing? I guess they will die from freezing, probably a stupid question.

Mayhem
01-22-2016, 01:12 PM
I've had meal worms live a year in the fridge. The older they get the harder the shell gets and the better they stay on the hook.

X2...they will live a long time, I still have some from last fall. Change the bedding material tho when they start stinking.

cube
01-22-2016, 01:39 PM
So, i bought some maggot and meal warms last week from Cabela and used only about half bag worth. Wondering:

Thanks.

Always stored in fridge. For meal worms I used to put a small piece of apple in for moisture etc.

LutherDLG
01-22-2016, 01:57 PM
Anyone ever have any luck with the dead, preserved wax worms? Or are they a waste of time?

dwedmon
01-22-2016, 02:16 PM
Anyone ever have any luck with the dead, preserved wax worms? Or are they a waste of time?

Those are useless, don't waste your money on those.

LutherDLG
01-22-2016, 02:53 PM
Those are useless, don't waste your money on those.

Good to know - thanks for the advice. Glad I only bought two little bags.

Foot Stomper
01-22-2016, 08:40 PM

Thanks.

Depends on how long it takes the missus to find out what's in container!