PDA

View Full Version : Taking a 6 year old and his dad ice fishing

tirebob
01-22-2016, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

Not looking to mine anybodies honey hole or anything, but I have never ice fished in Alberta and a buddy would like me to take him out tomorrow with his 6 year old son and I am looking for an easily accessible lake within about 1 hour of Airdrie/Calgary where we can go without having to go crazy on prep and pack etc.

This will be 100% catch and release. Not needing monsters but it would be nice to catch more than little trout from stocked ponds. Any recommendations where there is a good chance of a little action for the little guy and maybe a chance at a respectable fish or two?

wmw9
01-22-2016, 02:23 PM
We will be trying the upper Kananaskis lake tomorrow for Bull Trout / Rainbows / Cutthroat. I'm fairly new to fishing this lake so I can't guarantee that we will catch a ton of fish, however if you're interested we will be up there and I'm more than happy to drill a bunch of holes for you and pass along the little bit of knowledge I have on the lake.

Scott N
01-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Chain Lakes west of Nanton is a popular place to bring newbies - chances to catch something are pretty good there.

tirebob
01-22-2016, 03:26 PM
We will be trying the upper Kananaskis lake tomorrow for Bull Trout / Rainbows / Cutthroat. I'm fairly new to fishing this lake so I can't guarantee that we will catch a ton of fish, however if you're interested we will be up there and I'm more than happy to drill a bunch of holes for you and pass along the little bit of knowledge I have on the lake.
Thanks for that! I will run it by my buddy tonight and see if he is into it. I will message you and let you know...