PDA

View Full Version : argo owners

thunderheart
01-22-2016, 03:43 PM
i just bought me an older 8 wheel argo .. the guy figures mid 80's.. a noisy old wisconsin engine .. its all there needs a few things fixed ...
was cheap .. a fellow leaving town ..

any opinions or does anyone know where i can get parts or maybe a book on the beast
thanks

mudbug
01-22-2016, 04:02 PM
i just bought me an older 8 wheel argo .. the guy figures mid 80's.. a noisy old wisconsin engine .. its all there needs a few things fixed ...
was cheap .. a fellow leaving town ..

any opinions or does anyone know where i can get parts or maybe a book on the beast
thanks

Those things are a hoot to use :sHa_shakeshout:
I bet if you googled it you'd find an online manual for it :thinking-006:
Parts should still be available from any Argo service dealer and if not Google is your friend again :)

elkdump
01-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Those things are a hoot to use :sHa_shakeshout:
I bet if you googled it you'd find an online manual for it :thinking-006:
Parts should still be available from any Argo service dealer and if not Google is your friend again :)

And your chiropractor is your friend also,

A VERY good friend ,,,,:sHa_sarcasticlol:

mudbug
01-22-2016, 04:12 PM
And your chiropractor is your friend also,

A VERY good friend ,,,,:sHa_sarcasticlol:

As well as a very well stocked tool kit onboard :)

elkdump
01-22-2016, 04:18 PM
As well as a very well stocked tool kit onboard :)

Nothing like broken shear pins or chains 30 klms from the truck, or a busted belt drive or clutch, in a 2000 acre moose swamp, with 4 quarters of fresh moose meat on board , and grizzly poop the size of soccer balls every 50 meters,

Ask me , have I been der don datt ? lol:)

Sooner
01-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Nothing like broken shear pins or chains 30 klms from the truck, or a busted belt drive or clutch, in a 2000 acre moose swamp, with 4 quarters of fresh moose meat on board , and grizzly poop the size of soccer balls every 50 meters,

Ask me , have I been der don datt ? lol:)

The 8 wheelers did like to eat shear pins, my uncle always carried a bunch. Our 6 wheeler never broke one. Uncle hated how we could spin on a dime, we wished we had his cargo space.

Mhunter51
01-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Great older machines. I've had a couple and they work just fine if you keep an eye on maintenance and don't abuse them. Axle bearings are "fun" to change on those older ones. The biggest problem you may have is the tires if you need to replace them. Goodyear does not make that size any more and they are tuff to find in good used condition. Have fun with the machine, they are a blast.

pseelk
01-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Have you ever wondered why he left town?Just sayin.:)

bentley
01-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Argil Motor sports in Edmonton use to sell Argo's , they could still have parts & manuals . It'd be worth a phone call .

Positrac
01-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Best thing you could do is pass it on to someone you don't like. Lol.

brazeau
01-23-2016, 04:14 AM
"a noisy old wisconsin engine"

Just curious as to whether its got a Wisconsin, or the Tecumseh engine. Had a few Argos through the years and the only engines I ever saw in them were Tecumseh, Kohler, Briggs & Stratton or Kawasaki.

blgoodbrand1
01-23-2016, 06:51 AM
Redline in GP is a dealer and they are reasonable to deal with.

thunderheart
01-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Just curious as to whether its got a Wisconsin, or the Tecumseh engine. Had a few Argos through the years and the only engines I ever saw in them were Tecumseh, Kohler, Briggs & Stratton or Kawasaki.

i had to go look .. tecumseh .... not wiscoinsin

thunderheart
01-23-2016, 07:47 AM
thanks for the info ...:)

Positrac
01-23-2016, 09:13 AM
IMHO the older ones aren't worth having unless you just want one to bomb around he camp site. I wouldn't go any distance in them as sooner or later they will leave you stranded. Shear pins in the axles and smaller chains don't make for a good combination unless you love working on things. Plus, tub clearance is not there for larger tires so you end up getting high centered in every mud puddle. Without the bearing extensions in the front axles you better plan on carrying and being ables to change those out in the field also. By the time you change out all the things you will need to in order to make it reliable you are up to the price of a better/newer machine.

I've had 4 Argo's; 2 Bigfoot 6x6's and 2 Conquest 8x8's.

For just going out for the day I really enjoy the 6x6 Bigfoots. Maximum clearance without going to an Avenger. Easier steering than a 8x8. Bearing extensions in front, larger chains, splined axles, pull start back up. You can also run 24" Frontier tires with Adair tracks for maximum clearance and floatations in the Muskeg. The nice thing about the 6x6's is they don't seem to walk out of the tracks nearly as easy as a 8x8. You can also find a low hour one in the $3500 - $5000 mark.

jim summit
01-23-2016, 09:23 AM
If you google "6x6 world" you will find a forum dedicated to 6x6 and 8x8 machines. Lots of info and no nay sayers.

thunderheart
01-23-2016, 10:09 AM
If you google "6x6 world" you will find a forum dedicated to 6x6 and 8x8 machines. Lots of info and no nay sayers.

thanks jim

thunderheart
01-23-2016, 10:27 AM
IMHO the older ones aren't worth having unless you just want one to bomb around he camp site. I wouldn't go any distance in them as sooner or later they will leave you stranded. Shear pins in the axles and smaller chains don't make for a good combination unless you love working on things. Plus, tub clearance is not there for larger tires so you end up getting high centered in every mud puddle. Without the bearing extensions in the front axles you better plan on carrying and being ables to change those out in the field also. By the time you change out all the things you will need to in order to make it reliable you are up to the price of a better/newer machine.

I've had 4 Argo's; 2 Bigfoot 6x6's and 2 Conquest 8x8's.

For just going out for the day I really enjoy the 6x6 Bigfoots. Maximum clearance without going to an Avenger. Easier steering than a 8x8. Bearing extensions in front, larger chains, splined axles, pull start back up. You can also run 24" Frontier tires with Adair tracks for maximum clearance and floatations in the Muskeg. The nice thing about the 6x6's is they don't seem to walk out of the tracks nearly as easy as a 8x8. You can also find a low hour one in the $3500 - $5000 mark.

thanks for the info

dale7637
01-23-2016, 11:01 AM
Google up beaver dam Argo.
They will have pdf manuals you can download.
And x2 on 6x6 world.

Badlildoggy
01-23-2016, 06:51 PM
There are lots and lots of those girls around still. As a few have mentioned, there are some reliability issues with the old girls that you should be wary of but nothing that packing a few parts and tools won't look after. You'll have to wrench on the old girl a bit but I always thought it was fun, part of the adventure. Depending on what it needs, I would look at buying and stripping a reasonably priced old machine that still runs for the parts.

I posted a link a little while back with a list of parts + tools a guy should be packing. It is based around newer Argo's but much of it will be applicable to you.

Also there is Emerald Oilfield services up here near Edmonton, Greg has been working on Argo's for 20+ years and he is a great guy and may have the parts you are looking for laying around.

I have a 2010 Argo Avenger and wouldn't be without it.....The main thing is have fun....

thunderheart
01-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Also there is Emerald Oilfield services up here near Edmonton, Greg has been working on Argo's for 20+ years and he is a great guy and may have the parts you are looking for laying around.

I have a 2010 Argo Avenger and wouldn't be without it.....The main thing is have fun....

good info for sure ... thanks indeed

sns2
01-24-2016, 05:00 PM
We had one of these when I was a kid. Lots of fun. Made in Vegreville to boot. As a result of Ukrainian engineering, I'd give it the nod over a mid 80s Argo[emoji1]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160124/2b616438f954fb5ebbc987dda1823843.jpg

cowmanbob
01-24-2016, 05:36 PM
So where are we going hunting?

brslk
01-24-2016, 05:54 PM
If it's a mid 80's model there's a good chance that I made the tub for it.
I was working at a place in Edmonton called Industrial Fiber Glass. We got a contract to make them.
Last I knew, my old boss Henry still has the mould at his place.

norwestalta
01-24-2016, 06:14 PM
We had one of these when I was a kid. Lots of fun. Made in Vegreville to boot. As a result of Ukrainian engineering, I'd give it the nod over a mid 80s Argo[emoji1]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160124/2b616438f954fb5ebbc987dda1823843.jpg

Ha we had one of these as a kid as well.

thunderheart
01-31-2016, 05:12 PM
So where are we going hunting?

you know the area better than me bob lol..

thunderheart
02-05-2016, 08:40 AM
special thanks to one of the members here from slave lake that went way out of his way and shared his time in having manuals printed and put to gether and then had one of his drivers bring the large pack of treasure to me in fsj

Doug you number one in my books ..lol

thank you sir :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

Dodge
02-07-2016, 11:05 AM
You're welcome Thunder. All the best with your project.

Bigwoodsman
02-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your new toy in action

BW

Clarksen
02-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Biggest thing with the older Argo's is to learn how to drive.
Don't stretch the chains and wear out the brakes. Learn how to shift without wrecking the transmission and use low gear lots. Carry an extra fuel pump and pins plus install a gas squeeze pump in line for hills or hot weather. Run with hood off. They leave many newer machines behind because they have body flex. Overall they are an outstanding machine.

fatboyz
02-08-2016, 06:16 PM
I had a mid 80's 6 wheel and the Achilles heel was the steering brakes and Tecumseh engine. I wonder what it would be like to replace that tecumseh with one of the Princess auto engines with electric start? Not sure how many cc's the 16hp Tecumseh is?

big zeke
02-08-2016, 07:58 PM
I was once party to a mistake in the form of an 8 wheel argo, it had this 16 hp engine, it would make an OK boat anchor for a smaller boat. We had Bill McKay in Edmonton swap this POS out for an engine out of a rail speeder (those small buggies that transport 2 people on rail) and this was a huge improvement, it was very reliable. The steering still sucked but with the plastic body you tended to do OK just bouncing off of things, crappy brakes meant you tended to crash into a lot of things.

Did a lot of walking due to that machine, learned a lot of bush mechanics, had to carry an amazing amount of tools and parts.

Selling it was a very happy day. Bought 2 quads and never looked back.