PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye to furry companion

traderal
01-22-2016, 03:52 PM
One of our furry pack is now being laid to rest. We left in the morning yesterday and our big boy seemed to be in good health. We came home in the afternoon and found him lying by the house step, passed away. This Shiloh Shepherd came to us 7 ½ years ago at age of I year old and he bonded instantly with us. Six months after bringing him home, unfortunately ,we discovered he had an auto immune disease, EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) which can be life threatening without proper on-going treatment. With EPI he was not able to digest his food and no matter how much he ate (which was A LOT) he was literally starving to death before our eyes. However with the proper type of food and predigesting it with the use of a very expensive enzyme he ended up growing to 130+lbs and 31” at the shoulder. You did not have to bend over at all to pet him. He would stretch up against a door with his toes almost touching the top frame and scare the bejeebers out of strangers who dared to try to enter. He was protective of his family keeping us within eyesight and generally ignoring other people and dogs when we took him out with us. His favorite past times were following me around the yard, sitting outside surveying the birds and the butterflies crossing his domain, snoozing on the couch or taking up half the king size bed. When he wanted a treat, he would like to hold on to a sleeve and steer someone towards the cookie jar. On his last camping trip with us to the Kootenays the most frequent question we encountered “is he part wolf??” Of course I will admit that I tended to spoil him and he was known as “Daddy’s boy”. He always seem to be appreciative of everything we did for him. His paws were humongous and sometimes he was a bit clumsy and a goofball, but always entertaining. Rest in Peace Faithful Companion. We will see you again on the other side. The passing of this big boy is leaving a big void in our lives.

lone wolf
01-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Sorry for your loss. They definitely leave big footprints on your heart.

mudbug
01-22-2016, 03:56 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss of your furry family member. Sounds like you gave him the best and that he was much loved by you and your family. It's really hard when we lose such a good friend :(

gpgriz
01-22-2016, 04:23 PM
We make such strong connections with our dogs.
I'm sorry for your loss and happy you two had such a great time together.
You are forever richer for having him in your life.

bagwan
01-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Now that's a big guy. All the more to love and I see that he was. Condolences.

Twisted Canuck
01-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Condolences on your loss, losing your friend and companion leaves a big empty space, I know. They sure get right into our hearts, those good dogs do.

Sooner
01-22-2016, 05:07 PM
For those us us who have been in your shows, it hurts but gets better. Sounds like he had a wonderful home. My vet gives out the rainbow bridge cards. Google it, it puts a smile on my face when i miss my dogs that have gone. Take care. Thats a beautiful dog.

rugatika
01-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Deepest condolences to you and your family. They sure don't live long enough.

CowichanBay
01-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Condolences from my dog and I. May he RIP.

sns2
01-22-2016, 07:36 PM
Really hard. I am very sorry for your loss.

north american hunter
01-22-2016, 07:38 PM
Always very hard, sorry for your loss.

Hunter1602
01-22-2016, 07:52 PM
Ugh.. I always hate reading these threads because I've been there.
I'm sorry for your loss, they make such an impact on your life.
Have a good bawl, it helps,
Regards,
H1602

brslk
01-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. He was certainly a handsome guy.

morinj
01-22-2016, 09:20 PM
Best friend a person can have. Always there when your feeling down, and never stab you in the back, loosing a friend like so is always hard on a person. My condolences, I know how your feeling!!!!

jkav
01-22-2016, 09:49 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss - but know that it gets better with time. Looks like he had a great life and added immeasurably to yours.

ex811
01-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Ugh.. I always hate reading these threads because I've been there.
I'm sorry for your loss, they make such an impact on your life.
Have a good bawl, it helps,
Regards,
H1602

This says it all...

And remember, He'll be waiting for you across the Rainbow Bridge.

recce43
01-23-2016, 07:48 AM
sorry for your loss.
only time will heal the hurt you feel.
always remember the good times .

Lefty-Canuck
01-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Sorry to hear I feel your pain, not an easy thing to do.

LC

KUDUHNTR
01-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Sorry for your loss, never an easy thing to deal with, remember all dogs go to heaven. He is looking down, wagging his tail.

kylelaw
01-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Sorry to hear

Red Bullets
01-24-2016, 01:40 PM
Happy Trails Daddy's Boy

hayseed
01-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss of a great companion and family member..

traderal
01-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Thank you to the AO family for all the well thought out condolences. I know that it will take me about 3 months to feel better. As the days go by I get to realize how many things we did together and all the routines. Dogs are truly amazing creatures and they all have such different personalities. Pavlov did a great disservice to dogs when he implied that they only react to stimuli just like little robots.I also could never understand why crows live so long and man's best friend lives such a short life.

Zuludog
01-24-2016, 09:40 PM
Sorry for your loss. As a avid dog lover I know how much an important part of our life's a dog can be. I know the pain will eventually diminish but the great memories will be forever.

My dog (Zulu) had a Shiloh Sheppard friend named Nemo, they're cool dogs.

Gun
01-25-2016, 12:01 AM
Always tough. Sorry for your loss.

58thecat
01-25-2016, 05:37 AM
You were blessed to have a true family friend, a buddy, a pal, someone that will always be with you. Sorry for your loss.

KWO
01-25-2016, 11:22 AM
Sorry for your loss.

gordfishing
01-25-2016, 07:13 PM
Sorry for your loss, over the years I have shed many tears for a few furry friends that have passed, they are truly your best friends and over the years appreciate how they can't talk because he kept many of my secrets between me and him
again sorry for your loss