PDA

View Full Version : Long lost hunting and fishing buddies and family members tribute.

Foot Stomper
01-22-2016, 09:42 PM
My earliest memories of fishing back in the 1900's is with my grandpa and grandma in a 15' closed bow, console steer, 50's Peterborough cedar strip, with the hand painted Evinrude coughing blue smoke, water line high enough to reach with outstretched fingers. Hours (days?) trolling for "Jack Fish" with 00 Red and White or Five O Diamonds Len Thompson's, (or "The Frog"), trying to stay awake. Rowen's Raven on Last Mountain Lake in Saskatchewan was so very close to the farm that it was a destination of choice!

In later years, I damned near sunk that boat on Blackstrap Lake and my buddies nicknamed it the "bail-O-matic" as I spent most of my time in the back of the boat, breathing blue smoke, scraping grandma's old pot along the ribs, just to keep it afloat while on Aut-O-pilot (grandpa was there...I know it!) ... while I held my fishing rod with other hand.

The dash plate from that ol' girl hangs on the Man Cave wall along with grandmas's and grandpas's fibreglass fishing rods to this day... complete with level wind reels, the multicoloured lines and the leaders they tied on so many years ago.

The memories of soggy sandwiches, slimy pike and life jacket so big you couldn't look to see the fish you were reeling in with "white caps" coming in over the transom will stay with me... forever.

Thanks grandpa and grandma!

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-22-2016, 11:09 PM
Great thread !
soggy sandwiches always tasted best when grandma made them.

Bushrat
01-23-2016, 09:57 AM
We fished streams and brooks back east growing up in that era. Every time I think back I can still smell the scent of 'Old Time Woodsman' fly dope, smelled like tar and woodsmoke. I still have the collapasble/extendable steel Bristol Rods we used to use, wicker fishing baskets and the little tobacco tins that fit in your pocket we used to carry our worms.

CNP
01-23-2016, 06:28 PM
My earliest memories of fishing back in the 1900's is with my grandpa and grandma in a 15' closed bow, console steer, 50's Peterborough cedar strip, with the hand painted Evinrude coughing blue smoke, water line high enough to reach with outstretched fingers. Hours (days?) trolling for "Jack Fish" with 00 Red and White or Five O Diamonds Len Thompson's, (or "The Frog"), trying to stay awake. Rowen's Raven on Last Mountain Lake in Saskatchewan was so very close to the farm that it was a destination of choice!

In later years, I damned near sunk that boat on Blackstrap Lake and my buddies nicknamed it the "bail-O-matic" as I spent most of my time in the back of the boat, breathing blue smoke, scraping grandma's old pot along the ribs, just to keep it afloat while on Aut-O-pilot (grandpa was there...I know it!) ... while I held my fishing rod with other hand.

The dash plate from that ol' girl hangs on the Man Cave wall along with grandmas's and grandpas's fibreglass fishing rods to this day... complete with level wind reels, the multicoloured lines and the leaders they tied on so many years ago.

The memories of soggy sandwiches, slimy pike and life jacket so big you couldn't look to see the fish you were reeling in with "white caps" coming in over the transom will stay with me... forever.

Thanks grandpa and grandma!

Nice. Reminds me of adventures with my Grandpa and Grandma:)

Sooner
01-24-2016, 08:40 PM
I never camped, fished or hunted with my grand parents. But my kids are with theirs and god willing, i will with their kids.

reddeerguy2015
01-24-2016, 09:02 PM
I never camped, fished or hunted with my grand parents. But my kids are with theirs and god willing, i will with their kids.

I hear ya man. Apparently my gramma was quite the fisher(woman). Never had the chance to fish with her. I'll be damned if I don't get to teach the grand kids a thing or two. This is hopefully 20 years from now - but I'll be there.

artie
01-25-2016, 07:07 AM
I remember back in the early sixties when I was learning about hunting during a good old cold winter. I had this small 1/2 litre glass thermos for coffee. During the day I would ration myself a small sip of coffee. You had to be very careful with a glass thermos as they broke easily and your army and navy pack would soon be soaked.

HoytCRX32
01-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Miss my dad every hunting and fishing trip, although I'm sure he's always with me.