PDA

View Full Version : Pulling with a half ton????

MitchP
01-23-2016, 10:28 AM
I have a family of six and I am in the market for a camper trailer. I will be looking for a bumper pull in the 28-30 foot range with 1-2 slides. My question to you is will I be disappointed with pulling this type of trailer with a 1/2 ton? I have decided that I will be trading my 2008 gmc with a 5.3 and 3:73 gearing for a Ford Eco 3.5 with 3:73. I have tried pulling a 26 foot with no slides(6000lbs) with the gm truck and thought a piston was going to pop out of the hood as it was in 2nd gear up most hills and in any wind. Looking for all or any thoughts and experiences.

I_forget
01-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Try the search function. 1/2 ton towing has been discussed many times. With a family of 6 + gear + a trailer you'll be over your GVW pretty quickly

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-23-2016, 10:39 AM
The ford is a nice choice ! A bumper pull trailer only has one good purpose if you ask me and that is being able to still use your box for toys etc. You would find that a fifth wheel trailer will pull way better and if you organize well, there will still be plenty of room in your box for lots of things, generator, fuel and firewood. Unless your planning to travel out of province a lot you could always add a hitch to pull a small trailer. I have no regrets purchasing a fifth wheel trailer :happy0180:

Hogie135
01-23-2016, 10:43 AM
I tow my trailer with my Ram no problem. It's rated at max weight for pulling 10500lbs. I haven't tried that yet but my 30ft trailer no problem. With the newer trucks having that handy Tow/haul button also saves your transmission.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-23-2016, 10:46 AM
I have a family of six and I am in the market for a camper trailer. I will be looking for a bumper pull in the 28-30 foot range with 1-2 slides. My question to you is will I be disappointed with pulling this type of trailer with a 1/2 ton? I have decided that I will be trading my 2008 gmc with a 5.3 and 3:73 gearing for a Ford Eco 3.5 with 3:73. I have tried pulling a 26 foot with no slides(6000lbs) with the gm truck and thought a piston was going to pop out of the hood as it was in 2nd gear up most hills and in any wind. Looking for all or any thoughts and experiences.

Pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a half ton, gas engine?!!!

Good luck! :thinking-006::scared0018:

Rimbilly
01-23-2016, 10:48 AM

X2!

BUSHRVN
01-23-2016, 10:51 AM

And especially just a little 3.5L ecoboost? Please save yourself the heartache and get a 3/4 ton in my honest opinion.

sns2
01-23-2016, 10:51 AM
If you enjoy white knuckle, have at her.

I had a 2010 F150 with tow package which pulled my 27" trailer with no slides. I was well under capacity and it was manageable, but I feel I was at the edge of a 1/2 ton's safe capability. However, what you are pondering sounds like it is going to put you over the edge, maybe well over the edge. There will undoubtedly be others who haul larger, and they will chime in that it is no problem, but there are also guys that brag about shooting a pie plate at 500 yards offhand, as easy as rolling out of bed.

Be safe.

titegroup
01-23-2016, 10:55 AM
With your wish list for towing, I would if budget allows, consider a diesel, absolutely no comparison in pulling ability ( no sweat) v/s gas. My vintage by todays standard, 94 / Cummins 12valve / 4:10 geared 3/4, pulls a 10,000lb. Arctic Fox ( fifth ) and unless it's a very steep grade, never looks to gear down there's so much torque , in fact it more often wants to gear up. It usually get's 14mpg towing and over 25mpg highway unloaded, hence the reason I still have it( and not for sale) besides , who would want it today, it's not high tech enough.:test:

Hunter65
01-23-2016, 10:57 AM
You will not be happy. Get a 3/4 ton diesel. I've been on both sides, never going back to gas.

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-23-2016, 10:57 AM
The new fords are rated for a hefty towing capacity but I would assume wouldn't last quite as long with out issues if your weight is maxed out given the v6 and drive line size.

If you take a look at different drive line sizes, especially the rear diff it only makes sense.

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-23-2016, 11:00 AM
If you want your family to be safe you will get a minimum 3/4 ton,heavier suspension,beefier brakes,trans .A half ton will get it rolling but some day you will need them brakes!! A pull type trailer is a pain in the azz too,all the weight is hanging off the back of the truck and backing into a tight area is waaaaay easier with a 5th wheel.A pull type can be scary in a big wind too as they whip bad! I had a 30' with a half ton,not good!

MitchP
01-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Sorry about not searching the past posts. I am new to the site. The posts about going with the 3/4 ton make a lot of sense and is what my gut was telling me all along. The reason I was hoping the 1/2 ton would work is that I use the truck as a daily driver and commute 1 hour a day for work in a car pool. Does anyone out there have a 3/4 ton gas that they would recommend. I know a diesel would be the answer, but I hate the thought of running a diesel the 97% of the time I don't need it. Also with 4 kids it seems like a bumper pull is better equipped with the 4 bunks in the rear as an option on some.

bat119
01-23-2016, 11:05 AM
I tow a Jayco 29BHS weighs 5500 dry has one small slide add another 1500 LBs. of fuel, food, passengers and beer around 7,000 lbs.
My Dodge Ram 1500 pulls with no problem although I do live in Saskatchewan no mountain ranges to cross. Figuring out the towing capacity of vehicles is almost rocket science very confusing, my RV dealer did my calculations. The door sticker says 9,750 my dealer says more like 8,250.

rusty99
01-23-2016, 11:06 AM
As previously mentioned you will be maxing out your truck with 6 people and gear right from the get go. Slides on the trailer will add a lot of extra weight also.

If you are set on a 1/2 ton truck check out the Toyota Tundra, they have a 4:10 rear end. I went through a similar decision last year picking a 1/2 ton.

But again for 6 people you would be better off stepping it up to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. My reasoning for not getting a bigger truck was I only tow a couple times a year and the truck is a daily driver. The Toyota Tundra fit my needs but there is rarely more than 3 people in it on road trips.

RancheroMan
01-23-2016, 11:07 AM
With a family of 6 + gear + a trailer you'll be over your GVW pretty quickly

x2

The truck you are looking at may be rated for that trailer weight, but I bet you'll be way over max weight of the truck. Hitch weight of trailer + passenger weight + all the gear in the box of your truck and I will bet you're over the truck's payload capacity by a lot. Also, look at the load capacity of the trucks tires, most half ton have P rated tires and heavy loads can max them out too.

I don't put enough tow miles on my truck to justify the $8000 diesel option so I run a 1 ton gas. Slower going up the long or steep hills but I'm never worried about the trucks ability to handle the weight.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Sorry about not searching the past posts. I am new to the site. The posts about going with the 3/4 ton make a lot of sense and is what my gut was telling me all along. The reason I was hoping the 1/2 ton would work is that I use the truck as a daily driver and commute 1 hour a day for work in a car pool. Does anyone out there have a 3/4 ton gas that they would recommend. I know a diesel would be the answer, but I hate the thought of running a diesel the 97% of the time I don't need it. Also with 4 kids it seems like a bumper pull is better equipped with the 4 bunks in the rear as an option on some.
You sound similar to my situation. I couldn't justify the cost of a diesel for only a handful of trips each year. Also needed a daily driver vehicle for the family.

I was using a 1/2 ton Lincoln Navigator to pull a 5500 lb 26 footer. It worked, but ended up tragic. (long story).

We have since purchased a 30' trailer with two slides. Loaded weight is 9500 lbs. We purchased an '06 Suburban XL 3/4 ton 4x4. Doesn't get the greatest gas mileage, and still slow on long hills, but it's comfortable and all the weights are good.

BUSHRVN
01-23-2016, 11:19 AM
98% of the time, DO NOT trust the RV salesman to determine what your truck can pull. They'll sell you a 30' trailer to pull with the Ford Flex!!!
For what your saying get a 3/4 ton with the mid/larger gas engine in it.
With the family size you have, things fill up fast and get heavy fast. Next will be bikes etc.
Don't think that a smaller engine will do better on gas, they work allot harder, heat up way faster, wear out faster etc. even if they are "rated" to tow the weight. The RV's ALWAYS weigh more than the stickers say as well. The weights they state are before anything is added to it like the microwave, air conditioner, etc.etc.
I don't know about your driving likes, but doing 70-80km/hr on every big hill or mountain wondering what's going to blow isn't my idea of an enjoyable trip.
Besides, we could do with one less truck and trailer to have to pass on the hills.
:wave:

Bushleague
01-23-2016, 11:22 AM
And especially just a little 3.5L ecoboost? Please save yourself the heartache and get a 3/4 ton in my honest opinion.

Ya, the ecoboost's towing abilities look a lot better on paper than they actually are. Even with a few ATV's behind them they whole "eco" thing goes right to hell with a vengeance.

Hogie135
01-23-2016, 11:24 AM

I didn't say that's what I tow just that with the towing package on my truck that's what it's rated for. My 30ft trailer dry is only 4700 pounds.

sjr
01-23-2016, 11:24 AM
X2!

X3 old trucker saying . When the tail start wagging the dog your in trouble .

Carriertxv
01-23-2016, 11:30 AM
You are going to get so many replies from no issue to you will be dead in 5 minutes of hitting the road.
First how much towing are you going to do? If you are only towing a few miles once or twice a year then you have to decide if having a 3/4 or 1 ton is worth it for the rest of the year.
Or are you are going to be going long distances and or over the mountains or making many trips?
The new 1/2 tons with a full camper package will pull 5th wheels that are built for them or a 6 or 7 thousand pound bumper pull with a good hitch no issue.
But don't expect the P tires on them to work you will need to have 8 or 10 ply light truck tires.
It all depends on what you are want to do while camping and what you will be doing when not.
I have a 2010 F150 pulling a 30 foot 7200 bumper pull. Now it took the right hitch, airbags and some juggling with what we take with us to make it work but it does and I have had no issues with the amount of towing and camping we do. I just could not justify having a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel for the rest of the year.

You however have a family of six and that puts you in a different situation than me. If that F150 has the max camper specs then you may be ok. But I think you may be pushing the limit as you will have a whole lot more than what my wife and I have with us.
If you can justify having a 3/4 or 1 ton gas or diesel then that would probably be best but it will be a tank the rest of the year.
Also DO NOT believe anything the truck salesman or especially the trailer salesman tells you about what will pull what cause they will lie lie lie to you.

bat119
01-23-2016, 11:31 AM
There's a lot more involved than just a sticker, when the RV dealer helped me with mine we drove my truck out to the weigh scale and made some measurements,

Here's a calculator good luck

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

BUSHRVN
01-23-2016, 11:36 AM
There's a lot more involved than just a sticker, when the RV dealer helped me with mine we drove my truck out to the weigh scale and made some measurements,

Here's a calculator good luck

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

Ah, one of the 2% of them truly had your best interest in mind. Nice to see there are some still.

Sooner
01-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Imo, go at least a 3/4 ton to handle the weight and a diesel or bigger engine to pull the weight. With a diesel you get better pulling and better fuel mileage.

I bought and used a 99 f250 with a V10, 2wd as a temp trailer hauler when i sold my 7.3 f350 alst year. Pulled and handled the weight great. Not sure a f150 would have done the same in the mountains. Guys with eco boosts in the campgrounds i visit say they can pull quite a bit but i wonder how hard they are really working. If your just dealing with flat terrains and the odd head winds, go lighter. Big hills, go bigger.

ETOWNCANUCK
01-23-2016, 11:44 AM
Get the truck and a really large outfitters tent.

elkdump
01-23-2016, 11:51 AM

I had a Ford F150 4x4 CCab with the Ecoborsht twin turbo 3.5 v6, and yo pull my 5000 low profile bumper pull RV ,
the Ecoborsht gut bag averaged 47 litres reg gas per 100 Kms consumption , now that was mostly level prairie driving at about 90 to 100 kmph and no strong head winds,

My old 99 gmc 4x4 1500 ext cab with 500,000 klms and a 5.3 v8 auto pulls the SAME RV gets 19.5 litres per 100 klms at similar speeds

EcoBoast F150 = POS

ward
01-23-2016, 11:53 AM
As previously mentioned you will be maxing out your truck with 6 people and gear right from the get go. Slides on the trailer will add a lot of extra weight also.

If you are set on a 1/2 ton truck check out the Toyota Tundra, they have a 4:10 rear end. I went through a similar decision last year picking a 1/2 ton.

But again for 6 people you would be better off stepping it up to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. My reasoning for not getting a bigger truck was I only tow a couple times a year and the truck is a daily driver. The Toyota Tundra fit my needs but there is rarely more than 3 people in it on road trips.

I pull an old 25 ft. trailer that is quite heavy with a Tundra. Pulls and handles well, but if I am going where services are limited, I carry a gas can !

MitchP
01-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Get the truck and a really large outfitters tent.

Haha love it!!! Not sure what the wife and kids are going to say when we pull into a spot at 11:00pm after along days drive. The wife especially she's known to be grumpy at these times (aren't they all??). lol I had a laugh playing this out in my head.

Mayhem
01-23-2016, 12:00 PM

No shortage of towing power or braking on the Tundra, not to mention reliability as a DD. Four piston calipers up front and over sized rotors all round.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-23-2016, 12:07 PM
You are going to get so many replies from no issue to you will be dead in 5 minutes of hitting the road.
First how much towing are you going to do? If you are only towing a few miles once or twice a year then you have to decide if having a 3/4 or 1 ton is worth it for the rest of the year.
Or are you are going to be going long distances and or over the mountains or making many trips?
The new 1/2 tons with a full camper package will pull 5th wheels that are built for them or a 6 or 7 thousand pound bumper pull with a good hitch no issue.
But don't expect the P tires on them to work you will need to have 8 or 10 ply light truck tires.
It all depends on what you are want to do while camping and what you will be doing when not.
I have a 2010 F150 pulling a 30 foot 7200 bumper pull. Now it took the right hitch, airbags and some juggling with what we take with us to make it work but it does and I have had no issues with the amount of towing and camping we do. I just could not justify having a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel for the rest of the year.

You however have a family of six and that puts you in a different situation than me. If that F150 has the max camper specs then you may be ok. But I think you may be pushing the limit as you will have a whole lot more than what my wife and I have with us.
If you can justify having a 3/4 or 1 ton gas or diesel then that would probably be best but it will be a tank the rest of the year.
Also DO NOT believe anything the truck salesman or especially the trailer salesman tells you about what will pull what cause they will lie lie lie to you.

The OP's trailer will be close to 10,000 lbs.

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-23-2016, 12:11 PM
for that many trips a yr i would just rent a motorhome

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-23-2016, 12:16 PM
for that many trips a yr i would just rent a motorhome
At around $1500 per week? No thanks.

We camp up to 6 times a year and can go at the drop of a hat.
For a $13,000 Initial investment, there's no way renting is viable. For us anyways.

My sister camps maybe once every three years. She rented. Once. Not sure if she'll do it again.

titegroup
01-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Haha love it!!! Not sure what the wife and kids are going to say when we pull into a spot at 11:00pm after along days drive. The wife especially she's known to be grumpy at these times (aren't they all??). lol I had a laugh playing this out in my head.

So true. I pulled into a KOA at West Glacier Montana one night 10pm. with my 12v - cummins ( sounds like a tractor) sorry al you RV'ers, but suck it up, that's how diesels used to sound( gotta love it).

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
01-23-2016, 12:26 PM
It would be nice if gas prices stayed low this summer so more people could get out and enjoy the outdoors being able to afford to use what they work hard for.
Current gas prices will give me an extra $40 for other things to enhance the camping trip such as another night in our great public campgrounds !

related but no quite a derail ===~~==

honda450
01-23-2016, 12:29 PM
So true. I pulled into a KOA at West Glacier Montana one night 10pm. with my 12v - cummins ( sounds like a tractor) sorry al you RV'ers, but suck it up, that's how diesels used to sound( gotta love it).

That's OK. I will start my generator at 5 AM (Sounds like a tractor) or my chain saw ( even louder) Suck it up if your next to me. That's how generators and chain saws used to sound. (gotta love it)

Get the drift?

riden
01-23-2016, 12:32 PM
I completely get not wanting a heavier truck 12 months of the year. I don't blame you one bit.

I would be completely rethinking your trailer though, and with 4 kids and your limits on tow weight, you don't have that many options.

I would take a good look at these, they are a lot bigger than you'd think and very family friendly.

http://www.ownersrental.com/images/rentals/358-130716163735-1200.jpg

Red Bullets
01-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Get this unit for you and your wife. 1/2 ton would pull easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBXsWmpmLKY

And then get a truck tent like this for the kids to "camp" in. (picture from the internet)

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-23-2016, 12:52 PM
I completely get not wanting a heavier truck 12 months of the year. I don't blame you one bit.

I would be completely rethinking your trailer though, and with 4 kids and your limits on tow weight, you don't have that many options.

I would take a good look at these, they are a lot bigger than you'd think and very family friendly.

http://www.ownersrental.com/images/rentals/358-130716163735-1200.jpg

The sister inlaw bought one of these and hated it!The pop outs/slides were flimpsy,the heat escaped easily,the noise would come in and she was scared of bears grabbing them through the canvas walls.It took them 2-3 yrs to sell it and took a huge loss.

The biggest thing you have to consider is the safety of your family,in an emergency a 1/2 ton just doesn't have the breakin power to stop you like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton does.

morinj
01-23-2016, 12:54 PM
I've towed many trailers with many trucks, currently I tow my 22' holiday trailer with a 3.5 l ecoboost, I was very surprised at how well it performed. You will not regret the trade, if you decide to stick with the gmc, go with the max!!! The displacement the turbo provides, is very suitable for towing in the foot hills or the mountains.

Carriertxv
01-23-2016, 12:59 PM
The OP's trailer will be close to 10,000 lbs.

I do believe I said it probably wouldn't work for him.

Buckhead
01-23-2016, 01:00 PM

I pull a 32 foot trailer with 2 slides - loaded weight 9500 lbs with my GMC 1/2 ton all the time - but it's made for that.

However, only ever myself or one passenger with me - so I am not exceeding the load limit of the pickup.

Pull that same trailer with 6 people and all their gear and you will be over the limit. Not really safe IMO.

coolpete1
01-23-2016, 01:01 PM
my trailer is a 8000lb loaded weight toyhauler . i pulled it with a hemi half ton for a couple years with no real issue other than the trailer sat really low to the road, then bought a hemi 3/4 ton. it was way better in everyway except not having mds made it a pig on fuel . now i have a 1 ton diesel and there is no going back . the new hemi 3/4 tons have mds and are ok for mileage compared to a few years ago plus coil sprung rear suspension so they ride more like a half ton .

Buckhead
01-23-2016, 01:02 PM

I do it all the time. It's no problem if you have the right setup and have scaled all the weights.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-23-2016, 01:05 PM
I do it all the time. It's no problem if you have the right setup and have scaled all the weights.
It's no problem until there is a problem. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You're 1/2 ton has a 17,000 lb GCWR??? I doubt that very much.

Buckhead
01-23-2016, 01:13 PM
It's no problem until there is a problem. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You're 1/2 ton has a 17,000 lb GCWR??? I doubt that very much.

Nope - 16,000 lb GCWR. Most the trailer every weighed is just under 9500 lbs so no problem.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Nope - 16,000 lb GCWR. Most the trailer every weighed is just under 9500 lbs so no problem.
Plus the weight of your truck, including passengers and cargo. (GCWR = "combined weight") Which has to be close to 7,000 my guess.
Which means you're pretty much "max'ing out" your numbers.

Doable...but it's pushing it.

Buckhead
01-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Plus the weight of your truck, including passengers and cargo. (GCWR = "combined weight") Which has to be close to 7,000 my guess.
Which means you're pretty much "max'ing out" your numbers.

Doable...but it's pushing it.

Most of the time it is only me and no gear in the pickup. Rarely, with 1 passenger.

Would I take a family of 6 and all their gear. No way, no how, no chance.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Most of the time it is only me and no gear in the pickup. Rarely, with 1 passenger.

Would I take a family of 6 and all their gear. No way, no how, no chance.
Regardless...pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a 7,000 lb half-ton is over the limit.
Not "no problem" like your first post suggests.
I would bet your truck and one passenger is 7,000 lbs. Add 9500 to that and you're over your GCWR. Or at the very least "max'ing out" as I said.

Buckhead
01-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Regardless...pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a 7,000 lb half-ton is over the limit.
Not "no problem" like your first post suggests.
I would bet your truck and one passenger is 7,000 lbs. Add 9500 to that and you're over your GCWR. Or at the very least "max'ing out" as I said.

I am not exceeding any limits. Payload or otherwise.

titegroup
01-23-2016, 01:41 PM
That's OK. I will start my generator at 5 AM (Sounds like a tractor) or my chain saw ( even louder) Suck it up if your next to me. That's how generators and chain saws used to sound. (gotta love it)

Get the drift?

I think gen's & chainsaws pretty much still sound the same, diesels not so much, not our fault we didn't design them, get the drift?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

riden
01-23-2016, 03:52 PM
The sister inlaw bought one of these and hated it!The pop outs/slides were flimpsy,the heat escaped easily,the noise would come in and she was scared of bears grabbing them through the canvas walls.It took them 2-3 yrs to sell it and took a huge loss.

The biggest thing you have to consider is the safety of your family,in an emergency a 1/2 ton just doesn't have the breakin power to stop you like a 3/4 ton or 1 ton does.
I have a family of 6, and my baby is now 20. When my family was young we had one and loved it.

Wifey and I are empty nesters and just bought a trailer again last year. Haven't camped in years. Wifey really wanted a hybrid again because we had so many fond memories when the family was younger.

To each their own. But I think these are a great choice for familes.

Carriertxv
01-23-2016, 03:52 PM
I am not exceeding any limits. Payload or otherwise.

We are about the same. Can't travel with any of the tanks full and must load the trailer properly. Did all this a few times at the weigh scales and have it dialled in now. I'm under gvw but if not careful will go over back axle by a couple hundred pounds.
I only cruise around a 100 but get passed all the time by others with the diesels doing 120 plus with 30 or 40 foot trailers.

fitzy
01-23-2016, 04:03 PM
I have the F150 no ecoboost my trailer is 30ft 1 superslide and weighs 9100 lbs dry. I pull it with my truck twice a year and it it will pull it, lots of power but it's sure hell not the right anwer. I don't have to deal with any big hills or tricky driving just a straight shot to the lake in the spring and back in the fall.
I'd recommend more truck, smaller bumper hitch or a 5th wheel.

reddeerguy2015
01-23-2016, 04:14 PM
For what it's worth - you are carrying precious cargo (not the trailer, your family).

Towing a trailer that large with a half ton is not a good idea. Besides the fact you will probably be overloaded anyways - you will be white knuckling it the entire trip, and factors that you can't control (wind, weather, other drivers) will always be in the back of your mind.

Do yourself (and your family) a favor and step up to a 3/4 ton. It doesn't have to be a diesel, but they are nice.

Newer 3/4 tons (dodge with coil link rear suspension) and gm 3/4 tons are quite comfortable to drive year round.

Don't be "one of those guys" on the highway this summer.

Cheers

HalfBreed
01-23-2016, 04:57 PM
I remember growing up with a small airstream trailer that us kids were only allowed in if it was raining or for lunch. (Never lunched where the trailer was) We had a riot away from the adults in our tent. My bro has that trailer now and when I visit, I'll take it out if he's not using it.

I have one of these now: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/rvd/5404904887.html and really like it for the 'family' of 5. I use the front double drop down if necessary, the evil half has the queen off the back with one of the dogs. The other dog loves going under the table drop down in the front when it's in bed mode, otherwise he prefers being outside, and the cat commands the table bed, when he decides not to sleep on me.

If weather sucks, we don't drop the ends and endure each other, but if I had kids, they'd be out in the tent learning the ways of tent living.

I've never given bears a thought, even growing up in the mean woods of Vancouver Isle.

Oh yeah, it's pulled with a Sport Trac.

DiabeticKripple
01-23-2016, 05:05 PM
I pulled my parents 8000lb dry weight trailer with my ram rated for 10500. It was a bit squirrelly on the highway, but I pulled over, cranked up the torsion bars and then it was fine. The truck guzzled fuel (3/4 tank from Calgary to rocky)

I couldn't imagine pulling a trailer like that with an ecoboost. That little engine will be just screaming to put out the power. Do you want to be in boost the whole way?

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-23-2016, 05:14 PM
funny how opinions change on here! I recently posted a question about using a pentastar v6 ram to pull a boat and people were saying NO WAYYYY and now its ok to pull a 30' trailer with an ecoboost?

Bonescreek
01-23-2016, 05:21 PM
Think I remember a simpsons episode where Homer was pulling a
camper like that with a honda civic. No problem, doe! :)

JK.

Seriously, 3/4 ton or better as mentioned before.
Also think a standard trans. would be highly worth while (with aux.
trans. radiator (if C6 automatic) and electric trailer brake package if not a fifth wheel).

Used to pull a 4 horse 16' steel Morrets stock trailer with an '86 F250 4x4
302 ci, std. trans, frame mounted reese hitch, 2 1/4" ball, electric trailer breaks.
No problems, but you could tell when you had to lean on the breaks loaded
on a downhill, you did NOT want anything less.

DiabeticKripple
01-23-2016, 05:32 PM
funny how opinions change on here! I recently posted a question about using a pentastar v6 ram to pull a boat and people were saying NO WAYYYY and now its ok to pull a 30' trailer with an ecoboost?

That's because the ecoboost has double the power

PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK
01-23-2016, 05:35 PM
That's because the ecoboost has double the power

ecopile pfffff

Bonescreek
01-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Some are worried about "will it pull it ?" others are worried about
"will it stop it ?".
:)

lol :)

Rules of the on road..
1. Must stop.
2. Must steer.
3. Must start.
4. Must go.
In that order.

Rules of the off road..
1. Must go.
2. Must go fast.
3. Should steer.
4. Nice to stop but not neccisary.
5. Starter not needed with std. trans we getter rolling and pop the clutch.

antlercarver
01-23-2016, 05:51 PM
If your unit can not keep up to the speed of rest of traffic, they will be passing on the stupidest and dangerous places. When you slow down on a hill or narrow mountain road, some idiot in a hiway tractor or gravel truck to who time is money will be riding your back bumper and pass putting all occupants in your unit at risk. Get the proper tow vehicle to the trailer you chose or stay off the hiway and dont kill your family. It happens every weekend ask Hiway patrol or EMTs

Bonescreek
01-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Antlercarver highlights rules of the on road number 4.

ren008
01-23-2016, 06:24 PM
If your unit can not keep up to the speed of rest of traffic, they will be passing on the stupidest and dangerous places. When you slow down on a hill or narrow mountain road, some idiot in a hiway tractor or gravel truck to who time is money will be riding your back bumper and pass putting all occupants in your unit at risk. Get the proper tow vehicle to the trailer you chose or stay off the hiway and dont kill your family. It happens every weekend ask Hiway patrol or EMTs
Yup big diesel or nothing. If you ain't going 120km/h min at all times, uphill or not, you don't belong on the road as it will upset others.

Carriertxv
01-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Yup big diesel or nothing. If you ain't going 120km/h min at all times, uphill or not, you don't belong on the road as it will upset others.

Funny you say that as I see far more of those with blown trailer tires or upside down in the ditch. Go figure!

roper1
01-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Some are worried about "will it pull it ?" others are worried about
"will it stop it ?".

lol :)

Rules of the on road..
1. Must stop.
2. Must steer.
3. Must start.
4. Must go.
In that order.

Rules of the off road..
1. Must go.
2. Must go fast.
3. Should steer.
4. Nice to stop but not neccisary.
5. Starter not needed with std. trans we getter rolling and pop the clutch.

This one's worth a bump. Op for you & your family's safety either go more truck or less trailer..........Please!!!

gulfman
01-23-2016, 10:53 PM
It's one thing to do it and another to do it safely, for you and others on the road, camping is not a poor mans recreation anymore unless your tenting. if ya wanna play it's gonna cost ya. Always more expensive to do it right the second time

Buckhead
01-23-2016, 11:03 PM
The fact of the matter is you can tow a pretty substantial trailer with a half ton. You just have to scale everything and not exceed your GVW or your GCVW.

calgarygringo
01-24-2016, 04:42 AM
Payload capacity is the problem area not being discussed not the ability to pull 10k lbs. The average trailer is about 13-15% tongue weight on your truck. Let's say 1300lbs min in this case, add 100 lbs for the big hitch, wife and kids another 400 lbs, camping junk in the back of the truck another few hundred lbs and you are hitting 2000 lbs of wight on the back of your half ton minimum and maybe more. I believe the Eco boost with max tow option is around 1900 lbs which is a rare find I understand would still be at or over the max weight
Can your truck pull it of course but depending which half ton you have you will be more than likely way over weight and not very safely. Get stopped in B.C. by the guys with the portable scales and you will be unloading your truck and family or leaving your unit on the side of the road and calling one of us with a 3/4 ton to come and tow your trailer home.
Do your, family and your truck a favor and get a 3/4 ton for a unit and family that size for more enjoyment and having a safe ride.

reddeerguy2015
01-24-2016, 06:32 AM
Payload capacity is the problem area not being discussed not the ability to pull 10k lbs. The average trailer is about 13-15% tongue weight on your truck. Let's say 1300lbs min in this case, add 100 lbs for the big hitch, wife and kids another 400 lbs, camping junk in the back of the truck another few hundred lbs and you are hitting 2000 lbs of wight on the back of your half ton minimum and maybe more. I believe the Eco boost with max tow option is around 1900 lbs which is a rare find I understand would still be at or over the max weight
Can your truck pull it of course but depending which half ton you have you will be more than likely way over weight and not very safely. Get stopped in B.C. by the guys with the portable scales and you will be unloading your truck and family or leaving your unit on the side of the road and calling one of us with a 3/4 ton to come and tow your trailer home.
Do your, family and your truck a favor and get a 3/4 ton for a unit and family that size for more enjoyment and having a safe ride.

This guy is spot on. Payload is the biggest factor here. Most halfton's are between 1200 and 1900lbs - with most being on the lower end of that scale. Usually the more options the pickup has, the lower the payload. There are exceptions, does your Ford have the 7 bolt rims?? I've seen these around 2000lbs for payload.

Regardless, add in tongue weight, wife and kids and yourself and I can bet your approaching max payload without even loading a bunch of crap in the box. Obviously I don't know your hitch weight, but my 30ft camper is around 1200lbs (bumper pull).

Bigger truck or smaller trailer.

Kim473
01-24-2016, 06:36 AM
Check your towing capacity. My 2013 F150 is legaly rated for pulling only about 7500 lbs. Even though they say it can pull 10500 lbs. I would feel comfortable it pulling 6000 - 7000 lbs. If your gonna get a trailer that lengh and 2 slides you will need a 3/4 - 1 ton to pull it. That trailer is probably in the 8000 - 9000 lb range, maybe even more. Check the weight ratings on the door panel of the truck.

JB_AOL
01-24-2016, 07:59 AM
This guy is spot on. Payload is the biggest factor here. Most halfton's are between 1200 and 1900lbs - with most being on the lower end of that scale. Usually the more options the pickup has, the lower the payload. There are exceptions, does your Ford have the 7 bolt rims?? I've seen these around 2000lbs for payload.

Regardless, add in tongue weight, wife and kids and yourself and I can bet your approaching max payload without even loading a bunch of crap in the box. Obviously I don't know your hitch weight, but my 30ft camper is around 1200lbs (bumper pull).

Bigger truck or smaller trailer.

I have one. My sticker is 2230# payload. But my truck is bare bones xlt, 4x4, cres cab, ecoboost. Pulls my 6500# trailer awesome. Used to pull it with a 2003 3/4t gm gas. Ecoboost is better in every way, yes even braking. Although I'd take a newer hd truck if I didn't have to daily it. Any travel trailer over 7-8000 # and your 1/2 ton won't like it. Stay safe.. Buy the trailer you like first, then get the proper truck to tow it. But make sure you actually weigh your truck and trailer, you'll be surprised at how much more it weighs than the stickers say.

darren32
01-24-2016, 08:40 AM
You will not be happy. Get a 3/4 ton diesel. I've been on both sides, never going back to gas.

If you go ford, go with the 1 ton. The 3/4 will squat way too much with a heavy bumper pull. I know a few guys with 3/4 ton 6.7's that have had to put in airbags because of the squat.

The 6.7 diesel tows really nice .... not that I would ever do it ..... but I bet I could tow 25,000 lb with my lifted 1 ton SRW on 37x13.5's .... :shark:

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i380/darren323232/20151014_171320_zpsqaazqtbs.jpg (http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/darren323232/media/20151014_171320_zpsqaazqtbs.jpg.html)

reddeerguy2015
01-24-2016, 08:48 AM
If you go ford, go with the 1 ton. The 3/4 will squat way too much with a heavy bumper pull. I know a few guys with 3/4 ton 6.7's that have had to put in airbags because of the squat.

The 6.7 diesel tows really nice .... not that I would ever do it ..... but I bet I could tow 25,000 lb with my lifted 1 ton SRW on 37x13.5's .... :shark:

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i380/darren323232/20151014_171320_zpsqaazqtbs.jpg (http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/darren323232/media/20151014_171320_zpsqaazqtbs.jpg.html)

Don't mean to derail - hoe big is that water tank and where did you get it ??

Kim473
01-25-2016, 06:49 AM
I have one. My sticker is 2230# payload. But my truck is bare bones xlt, 4x4, cres cab, ecoboost. Pulls my 6500# trailer awesome. Used to pull it with a 2003 3/4t gm gas. Ecoboost is better in every way, yes even braking. Although I'd take a newer hd truck if I didn't have to daily it. Any travel trailer over 7-8000 # and your 1/2 ton won't like it. Stay safe.. Buy the trailer you like first, then get the proper truck to tow it. But make sure you actually weigh your truck and trailer, you'll be surprised at how much more it weighs than the stickers say.

One more thing to concider, which is heavier, truck or trailer ? Does the truck pull the trailer or does the trailer push the truck? Makes a big diferance on the hiway at 90km/hr going down hill with wind gusts to 80km. Try to keep it shiny side up and between the lines !

Kim473
01-25-2016, 06:50 AM

One more thing to concider, which is heavier, truck or trailer ? Does the truck pull the trailer or does the trailer push the truck? Makes a big diferance on the hiway at 90km/hr going down hill with wind gusts to 80km. Try to keep it shiny side up and between the lines !

My Eco will pull 10,000 lbs but how long will the rig stay on the hiway is the big question?

darren32
01-25-2016, 08:01 AM
Don't mean to derail - hoe big is that water tank and where did you get it ??

2,100 imperial gallons.
Protechnica Products inc in Devon

Stinky Buffalo
01-25-2016, 08:24 AM
Another vote here for the 3/4 or 1 ton for that trailer.

Have had the EcoBoost, and it tows beautifully, but by my calculations I was well within the safe towing zone given my load of gear and the relatively small (but heavy) 22' trailer.

Am now towing with a Tundra - it's perfect for my current setup.

We often travel in the mountains, so I prefer to leave a safety margin when it comes to the weight - so if I had a larger trailer, we would be using a 3/4 ton.

sjr
01-25-2016, 09:27 AM

Only diff between F250 + F350 is the rear leaf springs , same frame-drivetrain etc .
If you own a F250 go down to your local Auto Salvage yard and p/u a set of F350 rear leaf springs easy install

JB_AOL
01-25-2016, 10:22 AM
Only diff between F250 + F350 is the rear leaf springs , same frame-drivetrain etc .
If you own a F250 go down to your local Auto Salvage yard and p/u a set of F350 rear leaf springs easy install

That's fine and dandy, but not legal. LEO's go by your door sticker, so unless you have updated your door sticker (which BTW is illegal), you'll still get a ticket.

Kind of like those people that think airbags increase payload.

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-25-2016, 10:33 AM

My Eco will pull 10,000 lbs but how long will the rig stay on the hiway is the big question?

I don't understand what you're saying. The tow vehicle is supposed to weigh more than the trailer??

darren32
01-25-2016, 10:53 AM

No not really. The spring pack is the same. The 350 has 2 overload spring on top of the spring pack that the F250 does not which do not come into play until there is some compression. These ones ....

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i380/darren323232/20160125_103054_zpssbpv0ynn.jpg (http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/darren323232/media/20160125_103054_zpssbpv0ynn.jpg.html)

So, yes you could add the overload springs and the frame brackets to the 250.

The 350 also has 2" taller blocks which is the main reason it sits more level with a couple thousand pounds on the back bumper.

Mangosteen
01-25-2016, 12:23 PM
One thing to consider carefully is that it's not just about getting your dream trailor to your vacation spot but most importantly the risk you are subjecting your family to. On top of that and most important of all the risk you are subjecting all the travellers on the highway near to you.

Go big and be safe on the towing unit as mentioned many times. Sure it will cost some money to upgrade what you have but you will be able to sleep peacefully at night instead of worrying. Worse yet feeling bad in the event of an unfortunate mishap.

Why not a fifth wheel instead of a tag type?

Happy you took the brave step to consider input from others. Good success on your solution.

StringTheory
01-25-2016, 04:23 PM
I used this towing guide when choosing a truck for my trailer.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Some good info and goes back many years.

fordtruckin
01-30-2016, 06:01 PM
I pulled my parents 8000lb dry weight trailer with my ram rated for 10500. It was a bit squirrelly on the highway, but I pulled over, cranked up the torsion bars and then it was fine. The truck guzzled fuel (3/4 tank from Calgary to rocky)

I couldn't imagine pulling a trailer like that with an ecoboost. That little engine will be just screaming to put out the power. Do you want to be in boost the whole way?

I think many people don't understand how the Ecoboost works. Plus the ones that say they don't get any better fuel mileage towing than a v8 or how long they'll last, well the engine is 5 years old now(?) and those facts have already been well established. The fact they keep bringing up that just shows they don't know what they're talking about. btw Max torque comes at only 2500 RPM. hardly screaming. The 5.0 max torque comes at 3850. Oh and the Eco gets 33ftlb more... Each to their own I guess. I know where I've had my luck and what fits me.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2015_Specs/2015_F150_Specs.pdf

reddeerguy2015
01-30-2016, 06:35 PM
I think many people don't understand how the Ecoboost works. Plus the ones that say they don't get any better fuel mileage towing than a v8 or how long they'll last, well the engine is 5 years old now(?) and those facts have already been well established. The fact they keep bringing up that just shows they don't know what they're talking about. btw Max torque comes at only 2500 RPM. hardly screaming. The 5.0 max torque comes at 3850. Oh and the Eco gets 33ftlb more... Each to their own I guess. I know where I've had my luck and what fits me.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2015_Specs/2015_F150_Specs.pdf

What good is an Ecoboost when it's in a truck that can't handle the trailer behind it ?? That's the intention of the thread.

rembo
01-30-2016, 07:21 PM
I don't take towing lightly..:-), haven't owned a half ton chassis in many years.
2500 series pickups are built for a reason.

Duramax.....don't leave home without it....:-)

Hauls two Hondas, 100 litres of quad fuel and assorted other gear like generators and chainsaws under the deck, an old 22 foot trailer that has to be 6000lbs loaded and does 18L/100Km loaded and I can still pass if I have to.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g171/boltsonly/Phone%20download%20Nov.%2012%202015%20185_zpsagi5v eqe.jpg (http://s56.photobucket.com/user/boltsonly/media/Phone%20download%20Nov.%2012%202015%20185_zpsagi5v eqe.jpg.html)

Kim473
01-31-2016, 12:08 AM
I don't understand what you're saying. The tow vehicle is supposed to weigh more than the trailer??

Yup.

Do you think a 28 ft or longer trailer with a couple slides and full of water and gear is lighter than a 1/2 ton. I don't think so. I think that would be heavier than my F150. I know most 5th wheels, 25 - 26 ft is about max wieght for my truck, depending on slides and stuff.

They say my 2013 ecoboost can pull 11,500 lbs. I know it can.

But it's legaly only supposed to pull about 7,500 lbs acording to hiway regs etc... I think thats because of the weight of truck and brakes etc...

I saw a F150 last summer with a huge trailer behind it, over 30 ft. You could see the way it was sitting and how it pulled away from the lights that it was over it's limits. Didn't even have to look at the door sticker for that one.

coreya3212
01-31-2016, 08:47 AM
Yup.

Do you think a 28 ft or longer trailer with a couple slides and full of water and gear is lighter than a 1/2 ton. I don't think so. I think that would be heavier than my F150. I know most 5th wheels, 25 - 26 ft is about max wieght for my truck, depending on slides and stuff.

But it's legaly only supposed to pull about 7,500 lbs acording to hiway regs etc... I think thats because of the weight of truck and brakes etc...

I saw a F150 last summer with a huge trailer behind it, over 30 ft. You could see the way it was sitting and how it pulled away from the lights that it was over it's limits. Didn't even have to look at the door sticker for that one.

So to be legal, are you saying that a trailer needs to weigh less than the truck towing it?

reddeerguy2015
01-31-2016, 09:02 AM
So to be legal, are you saying that a trailer needs to weigh less than the truck towing it?

I don't think this is what he's saying?? I think he's saying it helps - but isn't required....right???

Whatever he meant, the tow vehicle is obviously not required to be heavier than the trailer.

Sure it helps but clearly not required.

Do you think every tractor pulling a trailer down the highway is heavier than its load?? Lol

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-31-2016, 09:06 AM

Yup.

Omg....

Where did you come up with that??!!!! Your own personal theories?

Because you're dead wrong. If that were the case, then I guess the maxiumum towing capacity of a One Ton Diesel Dually is only around 7,000 lbs???
The maximum tow capacity of a Peterbuilt is 18,000 lbs??? How on earth can they move an 80,000 lb trailer?!!!! You'd need one hell of a tractor!

Good grief...don't be giving out any towing advice. :snapoutofit:

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Facepalm-Meme-Gif-15.gif

coreya3212
01-31-2016, 09:26 AM
I don't think this is what he's saying?? I think he's saying it helps - but isn't required....right???

Whatever he meant, the tow vehicle is obviously not required to be heavier than the trailer.

Sure it helps but clearly not required.

Do you think every tractor pulling a trailer down the highway is heavier than its load?? Lol

You are a genius. Thank you.

Kim473
01-31-2016, 09:43 AM
A 1 ton dually weighs in about 9,000 lbs. not 7000lbs like you say. Lots of factors in tow ratings.

All I know is that my F150 is rated for about 7,500 lbs towing. But Ford says it can pull 11,500 lbs. Guess that is the Ecoboost part. Engine can pull that amount of weight but the frame, tires, brakes, suspension, cooling etc... can only handle 7,500 lbs.

Getting back on subject, I would get a 3/4 ton or bigger to pull the trailer that the OP. is thinking about.

regl
01-31-2016, 09:44 AM
Here is the other extreme.. In the movie The Long Long Trailer the trailer used was 36 feet long and was pulled by a 1953? Mercury Monterey with a 125 HP flathead. When they traveled thru the Sierra Nevadas they switched to a Lincoln Capri which had 25 HP more, but the main reason for the switch was the better brakes on the Lincoln.

Reg

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-31-2016, 10:09 AM
A 1 ton dually weighs in about 9,000 lbs. not 7000lbs like you say.

Sorry...I just quickly looked at a 2016 F350 Super Duty, Dually, Long wheel base. 6.7 Diesel. Curb weight= 3538 Kg's (http://www.ford.ca/trucks/superduty/specifications/view-all/). 7,000...9,000. Regardless. It's tow capacity is almost 19,000 lbs.

There's absolutely nothing in manufacturer's spec, or road legal specs that talk about a tow vehicle having to be heavier than the trailer.
Absolute rubbish.

I_forget
01-31-2016, 10:10 AM
A 1 ton dually weighs in about 9,000 lbs. not 7000lbs like you say. Lots of factors in tow ratings.

All I know is that my F150 is rated for about 7,500 lbs towing. But Ford says it can pull 11,500 lbs. Guess that is the Ecoboost part. Engine can pull that amount of weight but the frame, tires, brakes, suspension, cooling etc... can only handle 7,500 lbs.

Getting back on subject, I would get a 3/4 ton or bigger to pull the trailer that the OP. is thinking about.

You're doing a lot of guessing. Weight of the tow vehicle can be much less than what you're towing.

gmcmax05
01-31-2016, 10:11 AM

Reread his post, he didn't say a 1 ton weighs 7000 lbs, please stop giving advice, your are out of your league on this subject.

amosfella
01-31-2016, 10:19 AM

The diesel will run up and down the highway just fine... With a 1 hour commute, that's plenty of time to warm up... There are some nice Duramaxes on kijiji in the $8000-$10,000 range. The pre 2004 ones are quite efficient on fuel and tow quite well... The true 4 door model (Crew cab I think they're called) are quite comfortable as far as pickups go...

MitchP
01-31-2016, 10:41 AM
Went and looked at a few trucks yesterday in the city, here are my thoughts! Seems like the general consensus is to go with more truck for safety and security. Makes a lot of sense to me and I thank you guys for that input. My first choice would be a duramax. The problem is my budget does not allow for that, as I want to stay low km, which to me means 20km-40km. So I think what I will do is go with a f250 with a 6.2 or a 2500 with a 6.0. As I will be needing to install a car seat into the middle seat in the front the Ford seems like it is better set up for that as the mid seat folds up into a full seat with shoulder belt. Does anyone out there pull a camper with a 6.2 gas Ford?

Clgy_Dave2.0
01-31-2016, 10:52 AM
Went and looked at a few trucks yesterday in the city, here are my thoughts! Seems like the general consensus is to go with more truck for safety and security. Makes a lot of sense to me and I thank you guys for that input. My first choice would be a duramax. The problem is my budget does not allow for that, as I want to stay low km, which to me means 20km-40km. So I think what I will do is go with a f250 with a 6.2 or a 2500 with a 6.0. As I will be needing to install a car seat into the middle seat in the front the Ford seems like it is better set up for that as the mid seat folds up into a full seat with shoulder belt. Does anyone out there pull a camper with a 6.2 gas Ford?

I tow a 30 foot conventional trailer with 2 slides. Total, loaded weight is 8600 lbs.
Tow vehicle is a 2006 Chev Suburban 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6.0. We just bought that this summer for $13,000.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/New%20Traiiler/Lundbreck%20Falls%202015%20New%20Trailer/IMG_2707small_zpslrhl2vfo.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/New%20Traiiler/Truck%20and%20trailer_zpswbzy4vmp.jpg

amosfella
01-31-2016, 11:20 AM

I wouldn't worry about a duramax with 400k on it. Just make sure the injectors were replaced...

coastalhunter
01-31-2016, 11:58 AM

Pull mine with the V8 6.2L CC f350. Trailer Dry weight 9600lb and it's a bumper pull. With airbags it's great.

6.2 is a great engine, not many issues overall. I was deciding between a gas or diesel and went gas - more benefits for my uses.

MitchP
01-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Pull mine with the V8 6.2L CC f350. Trailer Dry weight 9600lb and it's a bumper pull. With airbags it's great.

6.2 is a great engine, not many issues overall. I was deciding between a gas or diesel and went gas - more benefits for my uses.

That's great news. I work at a mine and we run 15-20 of the 6.2's. I talked to the mechanic and he said they have been holding up quite well. The thing is we do not pull with them, so I wasn't sure about that part. Thanks!

JPGLADNEY
01-31-2016, 01:58 PM
ecopile pfffff
Lmao you're just jealous buddy.

coastalhunter
01-31-2016, 02:54 PM
That's great news. I work at a mine and we run 15-20 of the 6.2's. I talked to the mechanic and he said they have been holding up quite well. The thing is we do not pull with them, so I wasn't sure about that part. Thanks!

If you pull up a Ford website vehicle chart you can check out the difference between haul/tow capacities between the extra cab and crew cabs, the extras have more because of lower weight because of loss of cab space. Worth a look. Hard to go without a crew cab though.

I've got the 8' box, which I'm sure adds to 'sag' but like I said, a good set of airbags and your good to go. Not sure which year it started, but the manual shift option is super nice.

ATF
01-31-2016, 03:01 PM
As I will be needing to install a car seat into the middle seat in the front the Ford seems like it is better set up for that as the mid seat folds up into a full seat with shoulder belt.

You might want to look into the feasibility of putting that child seat in the front. It's a big no no. You'll need to look at putting one in the back and how easy it would be to reach.

Wanderingwest
01-31-2016, 04:43 PM
I tow a 7500lb trailer with my ecoboost, and have towed more. I love it, way better torque then the 4.7 dodge half ton setup I towed it with prior.

Most of the problems towing can be due to the hitch being set up wrong. And as for brakes? My trailer brakes alone can stop the truck and trailer down the steepest hills.

28 L/ 100 km is my average driving 110 on Hwy 1 or 2. Weight has little to do with the mpg, wind has everything to do with it.

Would I tow 9800 lbs with it? Yup. Would I tow 9800 lbs all the time in it? No.

Diesels will net you much better fuel economy and much less shifting.

I'm a dodge guy who bought a Ford. Having built race engines I love turbos. That "little" ecoboost has a forged crank and rods, it is a very strong motor. This is why the aftermarket companies like stage 3 motorsports will warranty your driveline for 100,000 miles when you run their performance parts that bring the engine to 700 ft lbs and 500+ hp.

badger
01-31-2016, 06:34 PM
I started with a Ford F150. Then I went to a Chev 2500HD with a 6.0 l gas engine. Finally upgraded last year to a Chev 3500HD Duramax Dually. The 14' boat and trailer weigh about 1300 pounds with a tongue weight of 140. The truck is rated at 19,000.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5762/22757107815_bcd713f225_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AEY8iR)

BobNewton
01-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Am I the only one who notices nobody giving any mention of a 3/4 being overloaded as well?

They have max payloads as well.

With the general attitude of the AO population, I'll sooner follow behind a cautious, number watching 1/2 toner then the 3/4 ton dirtymax guy doing 140 with a 40' fifth wheel and lund behind it.

More may be better, but it isnt the only route, and it doesn't make you invincible. A guy doesn't need a ken-worth to tow a tent trailer

reddeerguy2015
01-31-2016, 07:53 PM
Am I the only one who notices nobody giving any mention of a 3/4 being overloaded as well?

With the general attitude of the AO population, I'll sooner follow behind a cautious, number watching 1/2 toner then the 3/4 ton dirtymax guy doing 140 with a 40' fifth wheel and lund behind it.

More may be better, but it isnt the only route, and it doesn't make you invincible. A guy doesn't need a ken-worth to tow a tent trailer

He wasn't asking about a "tent trailer" - he was asking about a 30 foot trailer with several slides and a truck load of people in a half ton. 3/4 ton or bigger were the majority of replies, which is the right answer.

BobNewton
01-31-2016, 08:46 PM
He wasn't asking about a "tent trailer" - he was asking about a 30 foot trailer with several slides and a truck load of people in a half ton. 3/4 ton or bigger were the majority of replies, which is the right answer.

The tent trailer quote was meant to make a point. you missed that.

Otherwise, you are still wreckless. Without knowing the weights of people, gear and specs of a truck. You are signing off as totally safe because its a 3/4 ton. You only solidfy my point. Thanks.

Your answer is simply the most dangerous and incorrect. I will paraphase i your statement to, again, make my point. "buy a 3/4 or 1 ton, and your good, regardless of weights"

Again, the cautios 1/2 ton driver is a far safer person than the overinflated puffed chested 3/4 ton driver. Its a 3/4 ton, after the ego of the driver is loaded up. most payload is gone anyways. You still have to do the math.

Is a 3/4 a better puller then a half, sure. But to say your good to tow the mountains back home with you. Is a dangerous train of thought.

Ive seen many of 3/4 tons overloaded. But since its a diesel, lets get at er. I've seen many of 1 ton duallys overloaded. But hey, its a dually. I only hope the DOT crack down on this train of thought. Everyone preaches the numbers aganst a half ton, but simply ignore them on anything with a 2500 or bigger bagde.

It may be better, but it still isnt the right answer.

denied access
01-31-2016, 09:38 PM
I have a 8 Year old Nomad 29ft with one slide. it weighs dry about 6450. When I bought it I had a 2011 F150. it pulled it fine but I did have to put Firestone airbags in. Before I put the bags in the truck would wander a bit at highway speeds and was not at all pleasant. Put the bags in and problem solved. The bags were really easy to install. Took about 2 hrs total. No drilling was required. I now have an F350 with a 6.7 and don't even know the trailer is behind.

reddeerguy2015
01-31-2016, 09:54 PM

Otherwise, you are still wreckless. Without knowing the weights of people, gear and specs of a truck. You are signing off as totally safe because its a 3/4 ton. You only solidfy my point. Thanks.

Your answer is simply the most dangerous and incorrect. I will paraphase i your statement to, again, make my point. "buy a 3/4 or 1 ton, and your good, regardless of weights"

Again, the cautios 1/2 ton driver is a far safer person than the overinflated puffed chested 3/4 ton driver. Its a 3/4 ton, after the ego of the driver is loaded up. most payload is gone anyways. You still have to do the math.

Is a 3/4 a better puller then a half, sure. But to say your good to tow the mountains back home with you. Is a dangerous train of thought.

Ive seen many of 3/4 tons overloaded. But since its a diesel, lets get at er. I've seen many of 1 ton duallys overloaded. But hey, its a dually. I only hope the DOT crack down on this train of thought. Everyone preaches the numbers aganst a half ton, but simply ignore them on anything with a 2500 or bigger bagde.

I didn't miss your point. I was just pointing out you failed to miss the OP actual situation.

I agree with everything else you've brought up.

HunterRed
02-01-2016, 06:33 AM

X2
I work with 3 guys with ¾ ton dodge diesels. 3 for 3, overloaded with family and fifth wheels.
I have a GMC 1500 max tow and have 250 lbs less cargo weight available than one of them. you need to look at the weights and do the math in order to know if the truck is being overloaded. then you need to drive that rig like you are pulling a trailer with your family on board not like your late for your funeral. Contrary to popular belief the highways in Alberta don't have to be travelled at 10 km/h over the limit, the limit or 10 under is also ok.
Have a look at this rig, 30'11'' 2 slides and GVWR is 7600 lbs thats a tongue weight of about 950-1100 lbs. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom, make sure you are safe, and enjoy teaching the young ones about the outdoors.
http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&ModelID=345#Main

JB_AOL
02-01-2016, 07:03 AM
X2
I work with 3 guys with ¾ ton dodge diesels. 3 for 3, overloaded with family and fifth wheels.

Yes.. Its quite amusing because most 1/2 tons have more payload than the older 3/4t's (mid-90 til about 2008), specifically when it is a 3/4t w/diesel.

JB_AOL
02-01-2016, 07:04 AM

This.. x1million..

It's quite scary what I see on the road pulling trailers.

BobNewton
02-01-2016, 09:58 AM
I didn't miss your point. I was just pointing out you failed to miss the OP actual situation.

I agree with everything else you've brought up.

Without weighing his passengers, hitch used, amount of firewood, generater he brings. how many pedal bikes? extra water? who knows.

My point is a 3/4 ton is NOT a blanket answer. I spoke to the AO general population thinking a halfer isn't capable of pulling a seadoo, and a 2500 capable of towing anything under the sun, is wrong.

By the thought process of more is better, we would all have tri drive peterbuilts.

Do the math, do the research. Find a local scale and learn some things. And drive responsibly, most importantly. Go to BC and you will find out your 3/4 ton isn't all the truck you think It is. They will make this clear to you with a large fine. (not speaking to anyone specifically here.)

elkdump
02-01-2016, 10:16 AM
And to pull a non commercial trailer in BC over 4600 kg the driver needs to complete a Government DOT licensing proceedure on safe trailer towing methods , including a test and practical test witnessed by a Motor Vehicle Licence officer,

Known as endorsement # 20 for recreational users with DL ratings classes of 5 and 7,

Or if it floats your boat take a commercial Driver licensing upgrade to 1,2 or 3

Operating a vehicle towing a trailer without DOT/CVSE endorsement can nullify insurance and make the driver and/or owner liable as insurance would be invalid.

Clgy_Dave2.0
02-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Without weighing his passengers, hitch used, amount of firewood, generater he brings. how many pedal bikes? extra water? who knows.

My point is a 3/4 ton is NOT a blanket answer. I spoke to the AO general population thinking a halfer isn't capable of pulling a seadoo, and a 2500 capable of towing anything under the sun, is wrong.

By the thought process of more is better, we would all have tri drive peterbuilts.

Do the math, do the research. Find a local scale and learn some things. And drive responsibly, most importantly. Go to BC and you will find out your 3/4 ton isn't all the truck you think It is. They will make this clear to you with a large fine. (not speaking to anyone specifically here.)
I didn't see that concept said anywhere in the thread. I saw people recommending a 3/4 ton for the OP's situation.
Yes, weigh both your units and look up the capacities. ...but you don't have to be running to the scales every time you add an extra backpack.
A standard 30 foot trailer will be well under 10,000 lbs, even fully loaded with gear. (mine is 8600 With 2 slides, and we pack A LOT into it!)
And a family of four inside the cab will pretty much always fall within tow & cargo capacities of a 3/4 ton. Not so with a half.
Everyone seems to want to nitpick and disect every statement made on AO just so they can tell them they're wrong. I think the general idea was properly conveyed here.

Clgy_Dave2.0
02-01-2016, 10:24 AM
And to pull a non commercial trailer in BC over 4600 kg the driver needs to complete a Government DOT licensing proceedure on safe trailer towing methods , including a test and practical test witnessed by a Motor Vehicle Licence officer,

Known as endorsement # 20 for recreational users with DL ratings classes of 5 and 7,

Or if it floats your boat take a commercial Driver licensing upgrade to 1,2 or 3

Operating a vehicle towing a trailer without DOT/CVSE endorsement can nullify insurance and make the driver and/or owner liable as insurance would be invalid.

That's interesting. I did not know this. Can you post a link to this regulation? This would be very important to know.

elkdump
02-01-2016, 10:31 AM
That's interesting. I did not know this. Can you post a link to this regulation? This would be very important to know.

Just google " B.C. Gov , CVSE Trailer Towing Frequently Asked questions " should get you there

elkdump
02-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Just google " B.C. Gov , CVSE Trailer Towing Frequently Asked questions " should get you there

And the BC Road Test for recreational users, the driver actually has to hook and unhook the trailer, do a safety per trip and back up the trailer in a confined test area to pass the test ,

Can you imagine that ? lmfao :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Clgy_Dave2.0
02-01-2016, 11:02 AM

Got it. Thanks.
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/

CMichaud
02-01-2016, 11:28 AM
3/4 diesel is what you want for what you are talking about doing (ie towing).

Get a fifth wheel hitch.

Cry once every 10-15 or so years and enjoy it in between.

JB_AOL
02-01-2016, 11:49 AM
3/4 diesel is what you want for what you are talking about doing (ie towing).

Get a fifth wheel hitch.

Cry once every 10-15 or so years and enjoy it in between.

Except why bother, might as well just get a 1ton. There are ALOT more 1 tons on the market and chances of finding one with the options you want and in good shape are alot better. Especially since you won't pay much more for the 1 ton.

JB_AOL
02-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Got it. Thanks.
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/

I wish they had this in Alberta...

elkdump
02-01-2016, 12:03 PM
I wish they had this in Alberta...

No kidding, but to be one- up , Albertastan has the WEEKENDER TRIPPLE DEATH OPTION ,

HOOK A 5 Th Wheel trailer behind your pickup, and then a BUMPER PULL behind your 5 wheel trailer ,

OH BOY :angry3:

JB_AOL
02-01-2016, 12:19 PM
No kidding, but to be one- up , Albertastan has the WEEKENDER TRIPPLE DEATH OPTION ,

HOOK A 5 Th Wheel trailer behind your pickup, and then a BUMPER PULL behind your 5 wheel trailer ,

OH BOY :angry3:

Honestly, I have no problem with those setups (as long as they are legal), the scary ones are SK, two bumper pulls.. Sheesh..

BobNewton
02-01-2016, 12:37 PM
I didn't see that concept said anywhere in the thread. I saw people recommending a 3/4 ton for the OP's situation.
Yes, weigh both your units and look up the capacities. ...but you don't have to be running to the scales every time you add an extra backpack.
A standard 30 foot trailer will be well under 10,000 lbs, even fully loaded with gear. (mine is 8600 With 2 slides, and we pack A LOT into it!)
And a family of four inside the cab will pretty much always fall within tow & cargo capacities of a 3/4 ton. Not so with a half.
Everyone seems to want to nitpick and disect every statement made on AO just so they can tell them they're wrong. I think the general idea was properly conveyed here.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to pretty much always safe idea.

And yes that concept is very present here. you almost always safe comment shows it.

This isn't an opinion. This is life an death, and a GENERAL IDEA of weights doesn't work.....

Do it right or stay of the roads I travel on please.

A 30' trailer, plus goodies can be unsafe in a 3/4 ton. Like it or not. You obviously don't have a grasp on the concept. Might be ok. might not. My point is you can't use a 3/4 ton as an umbrella answer. ITS WRONG, ITS UNSAFE!

Clgy_Dave2.0
02-01-2016, 12:46 PM

And yes that concept is very present here. you almost always safe comment shows it.

This isn't an opinion. This is life an death, and a GENERAL IDEA of weights doesn't work.....

A 30' trailer, plus goodies can be unsafe in a 3/4 ton. Like it or not. You obviously don't have a grasp on the concept. Might be ok. might not. My point is you can't use a 3/4 ton as an umbrella answer. ITS WRONG, ITS UNSAFE!
What did I say right at the start of my post? Perhaps you weren't grasping it.
"WEIGH BOTH UNITS AND LOOK UP THE CAPACITIES" Is that clear enough for you??

Trust me....I understand the dangers. Dont assume you know what I grasp.:snapoutofit:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=255279

BobNewton
02-01-2016, 01:08 PM
What did I say right at the start of my post? Perhaps you weren't grasping it.
"WEIGH BOTH UNITS AND LOOK UP THE CAPACITIES" Is that clear enough for you??

Trust me....I understand the dangers. Dont assume you know what I grasp.:snapoutofit:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=255279

Just too many people have a mentality of a 3/4 ton cant be overloaded. And its evident in this entire thread. Go to the campground and look around, its everywhere, with halfers, 3/4's, one tons. Everywhere.

It's a real thing. It's happeneing everywhere, including here. It's all im speaking about. I'm not making it up, and its not disputable. I never made reference to the op, but to the mentality of a population.

hopper146
02-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Capacities are one thing. Strength is another. I tried using lighter trucks for towing. Worked great. Then the rear diff went. Then the transfercase. Etc. for a once a year trip to the lake? Great. But being broke down in the middle of nowhere can ruin what's supposed to be a fun family vacation. Go as big as you can afford and don't look back. Ps. The newer HD trucks are like Cadillacs compared to the old days. Ride nice, beautiful interiors, manageable fuel economy.

hopper146
02-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Always read your manual, and run your setup over a scale. Common sense. Don't risk your families lives or mine.

elkdump
02-01-2016, 02:26 PM
I wish I could find the pictures,,,,

Last fall, 2005 , September or early October , hwy 43 between Hythe and BC boundary,,, about 7 pm

A 1975 ford f250 2whdr super cab pulling a 70 foot long old rotton vintage mobile home with 3 axels and two flat tires , no flag cars, no flashing lights, multiple logging chains holding old vintage mobile home to the rear number of the old rusty 75 ford pickup ,,,

lmao

AlbertaStan Republic of Stupidity :thinking-006:

BobNewton
02-01-2016, 05:36 PM
Always loved this one!

Benny86
02-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Always loved this one!

Oh sweet Jesus that's awesome hahaha!!!

reddeerguy2015
02-01-2016, 08:14 PM

I drive a 3500 dually as a daily driver. I've also have had my class 1 for over ten years.

I assure you that you don't need to preach to me about trailer weights.

wildwoods
02-01-2016, 08:19 PM
I skimmed this thread but already had a conclusion. Just read the title.....

My motto: I would rather have too much truck and not use it than not enough truck and need it.

Doogie
02-02-2016, 10:59 AM
It really depends on what your plans are.

Would a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel be best if you pull it every week? Probably.

Unfortunately most of us only get away a couple times in the summer so adding $10,000 to cost of truck, increased oil change costs (modern diesels are a couple hundred $$ for an oil change) and having to run a big truck for the rest of the year may not be practical.

Most newer trailers are much lighter than even a few years ago - I had a 26' 1996 trailer with no slides that was actually 200 lbs heaver than my 2014 34' with 2 slides.

Any of the current model half ton trucks will be in the 10,000lb range and some will be more. I always try to stay at 80% of max.

The other thing to watch as was pointed out earlier is payload. when I was shopping for my trailer I had it narrowed down to two similar models, both 34' and within a couple pounds of dry weight, but one floor plan had over 900lbs hitch weight and the other was 560.

Not sure if that helps - but if you only get to pull the trailer a couple times a year and the rest of the year the truck is a glorified grocery getter - maybe a big ol diesel isn't the answer