PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lake, Athabasca

sportman
01-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Anyone at Chain Lake near Athabaca today?

Bobby B.
01-23-2016, 09:10 PM
My buddy and I fished Lower Chain today. We saw 80-90 fish on camera. My buddy iced 7 and I iced 8. We missed 15-20. We were in 6.5 fow.

Bobby

ramonmark
01-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Was there Saturday. The tigers are a good size. Mostly rainbow tho.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/ramonmark/A9E209D2-0769-444F-A2F7-4EB29B102AB2_zpsa7jobxkv.jpg (http://s661.photobucket.com/user/ramonmark/media/A9E209D2-0769-444F-A2F7-4EB29B102AB2_zpsa7jobxkv.jpg.html)

EZM
01-25-2016, 11:04 PM
Better enjoy the tigers while you can .............

Kurt505
01-26-2016, 12:00 AM
Better enjoy the tigers while you can .............

?????

Have they been discontinued?

DonTreadOnMe
01-26-2016, 06:42 AM
Was there Saturday. The tigers are a good size. Mostly rainbow tho.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu331/ramonmark/A9E209D2-0769-444F-A2F7-4EB29B102AB2_zpsa7jobxkv.jpg (http://s661.photobucket.com/user/ramonmark/media/A9E209D2-0769-444F-A2F7-4EB29B102AB2_zpsa7jobxkv.jpg.html)

Too bad people aren't letting these go...what a shame.

chriscosta
01-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Oh boy ...not to be a pain in the you know what but corn is a terrible bait for fish they can't crap it out and eventually die and I hardly see any keep able fish according to my fishing ethics let em go let em grow most of those fish are still baby's and the Tigers will never be stocked again but can get to big sizes but to each their own...fish on

CMichaud
01-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Oh boy ...not to be a pain in the you know what but corn is a terrible bait for fish they can't crap it out and eventually die

This is not 100% correct re baiting trout with corn.

See http://www.fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

I personally use the yellow powerbait "corn"

EZM
01-26-2016, 08:40 AM
?????

Have they been discontinued?

The program to stock Tigers has been suspended indefinitely..... I would say this would continue until legislation is in place to regulate the tigers.

The Tigers are sterile and will not produce young and new fish .... so once they are gone they are gone

AND

People continue to ignore the big signs posted at the lakes, from SRD, asking people to release the tigers.....

Double-Eh
01-26-2016, 08:57 AM
As much as we want to (and can) put blame on fishermen.... Tigers are another example of the governing body not following through on an idea and in turn making it a waste of time that it was ever tried just like barbless hooks.

chriscosta
01-26-2016, 09:09 AM
This is not 100% correct re baiting trout with corn.

See http://www.fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

I personally use the yellow powerbait "corn"
To be honest it's not my place to say anything please forget my previous statement ..I have no place to say that and immediately sorry tight lines

abhunter8
01-26-2016, 09:39 AM
There are tiger trout in Chain Lakes near Athabasca??

Kurt505
01-26-2016, 10:08 AM
The program to stock Tigers has been suspended indefinitely..... I would say this would continue until legislation is in place to regulate the tigers.

The Tigers are sterile and will not produce young and new fish .... so once they are gone they are gone

That sucks

Deep
01-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Ah, tigers...I've tried SK a few times without a one. Black Nugget just as it was icing up proved a better spot C&R about 6 mostly the less colorful females. I hope to get to Chain and see how the are making out as BN tended to have everyone kept by the others at the lake. The Technician responsible for their care was creel surveying when I was at BN. She was also sad that they appear to be going quickly. They were moved from their initial Calgary home to get larger at Cold Lake- bringing the stocking sizes to about 12 inches. Enjoy there short time we will have them.

PeterSL
01-26-2016, 04:40 PM

AND

People continue to ignore the big signs posted at the lakes, from SRD, asking people to release the tigers.....

Would be interested to hear where the information is coming from that the tiger stocking is suspended indefinitely. May not be true but it's a disturbing thought. In fact a new generation of tiger trout is currently being raised at the Cold Lake Hatchery although they're tough to raise and survival rates tend to be low. However, they're being raised to be stocked as soon as they're ready - maybe spring but probably fall so they're bigger and less susceptible to cormorants etc. There are certainly some fisheries biologists, largely advocates of native fish only, who opposed the introduction of tigers to the stocking program and would like to see all current stocks put into the landfill! So, if you value the opportunity to fish for tigers please make it known to AEP Fisheries Management that we want them, we want more of them and in more lakes. Black Nugget Lake has had anglers coming from all over the province, even from BC, this fall and winter to fish for tigers. Although the aeration issue disrupted stocking plans for 2015 we should hopefully be ok for 2016 but, if you're in any way concerned, let the managers know your thoughts. We fought long and hard to get them here, let's keep fighting to keep them.

Peter

DonTreadOnMe
01-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Would be interested to hear where the information is coming from that the tiger stocking is suspended indefinitely. May not be true but it's a disturbing thought. In fact a new generation of tiger trout is currently being raised at the Cold Lake Hatchery although they're tough to raise and survival rates tend to be low. However, they're being raised to be stocked as soon as they're ready - maybe spring but probably fall so they're bigger and less susceptible to cormorants etc. There are certainly some fisheries biologists, largely advocates of native fish only, who opposed the introduction of tigers to the stocking program and would like to see all current stocks put into the landfill! So, if you value the opportunity to fish for tigers please make it known to AEP Fisheries Management that we want them, we want more of them and in more lakes. Black Nugget Lake has had anglers coming from all over the province, even from BC, this fall and winter to fish for tigers. Although the aeration issue disrupted stocking plans for 2015 we should hopefully be ok for 2016 but, if you're in any way concerned, let the managers know your thoughts. We fought long and hard to get them here, let's keep fighting to keep them.

Peter

The province clearly stated that there were another couple thousand being raised and that will be it for the foreseeable future. The ones At Cold Lake facility are the last.
People just don't give a sh#t, oh well I've caught plenty and put them back,including a fat 18"er. I guess I'll just drive into Saskatchewan when I feel like fighting tigers.

huntsfurfish
01-26-2016, 05:07 PM

They will stock more.:)

PeterSL
01-26-2016, 05:36 PM
[QUOTE=DonTreadOnMe;3120915]The province clearly stated that there were another couple thousand being raised and that will be it for the foreseeable future. The ones At Cold Lake facility are the last.

Talked to Fisheries Management today re tiger stocking and they made no mention of this, in fact we talked about future plans. When and where was this stated?
Peter

DonTreadOnMe
01-26-2016, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=DonTreadOnMe;3120915]The province clearly stated that there were another couple thousand being raised and that will be it for the foreseeable future. The ones At Cold Lake facility are the last.

Talked to Fisheries Management today re tiger stocking and they made no mention of this, in fact we talked about future plans. When and where was this stated?
Peter

http://afgmag.com/let-loose-the-tigers/

This was the easiest reference i could find, although not a government link this relays the same info that the ACA had stated as well, I'm positive you can find a link on AO with the search function.

Talking moose
01-26-2016, 07:00 PM

Peter

They are stocking more this year. It was at minimal a 2 year program.

EZM
01-26-2016, 07:09 PM
Peter,

The reference provided by DonTreadOnMe is pretty much in alignment with what I said. There is remaining stock at the hatchery and no further plans to continue or start up the program at this time. They will, of course, finish what has been started (the last batch in the hatchery) - so, by definition, the program is suspended indefinitely.

This is consistent with what I have read in a number of places and consistent with a conversation I had a few months ago with SRD.

If you think/know otherwise ...... let's see what you information you have ..... perhaps my information, and the information out there that is referenced is out of date.

FlyDog
01-26-2016, 08:18 PM
The province clearly stated that there were another couple thousand being raised and that will be it for the foreseeable future. The ones At Cold Lake facility are the last.
People just don't give a sh#t, oh well I've caught plenty and put them back,including a fat 18"er. I guess I'll just drive into Saskatchewan when I feel like fighting tigers.

I

PeterSL
01-26-2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the link, DonTreadOnMe. It seems that the source for the reports re no more tiger stocking may not be the province but an article written for Dave Jensen's magazine, presumably by Dave Jensen. I searched 'tiger trout' on ACA's website and got 0 results - didn't really expect any as ACA does not stock tiger trout and has no control over the stocking program. I know that the initial stockings were on a trial basis - there was a lot to be learned - but the posts suggested that somehow a decision had been made not to continue the program. My response to those posts was based mainly on conversations today with Fisheries Managers about tigers in which there was no mention of stopping the program but also on an underlying fear that there's rarely smoke without fire. I really hope there's no truth to it. However, I'll ask them directly and let you know what answer I get.
Regardless, it was anglers who got tigers added to the stocking list, despite resistance from some fisheries biologists, through a whole lot of advocacy for them from individuals, clubs and at the Fisheries Roundtable meetings. If there's the slightest doubt about AEP continuing its tiger stocking program then we need to remind the fisheries managers and the Minister what the angling public want.
Peter

lambski
01-26-2016, 11:51 PM
Even the 3n trout are maybe fifty% sterile. if ya know what im getting at...

EZM
01-27-2016, 12:19 AM
Even the 3n trout are maybe fifty% sterile. if ya know what im getting at...

No, I don't, since all (100%) of triploids (3N) are sterile by definition.

Females are unable to develop eggs, and the sperm of the males is not viable.

Natural trout, able to reproduce, are 2N.

Kim473
01-27-2016, 04:13 AM
Is there a possibility of cross breeding in the wild ?

Talking moose
01-27-2016, 05:22 AM

Not in the sloughs they were stocked in. The eggs need flowing water high in oxygen to develop. Trout will go through the motions in these pothole lakes but the eggs will die.

DonTreadOnMe
01-27-2016, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the link, DonTreadOnMe. It seems that the source for the reports re no more tiger stocking may not be the province but an article written for Dave Jensen's magazine, presumably by Dave Jensen. I searched 'tiger trout' on ACA's website and got 0 results - didn't really expect any as ACA does not stock tiger trout and has no control over the stocking program. I know that the initial stockings were on a trial basis - there was a lot to be learned - but the posts suggested that somehow a decision had been made not to continue the program. My response to those posts was based mainly on conversations today with Fisheries Managers about tigers in which there was no mention of stopping the program but also on an underlying fear that there's rarely smoke without fire. I really hope there's no truth to it. However, I'll ask them directly and let you know what answer I get.
Regardless, it was anglers who got tigers added to the stocking list, despite resistance from some fisheries biologists, through a whole lot of advocacy for them from individuals, clubs and at the Fisheries Roundtable meetings. If there's the slightest doubt about AEP continuing its tiger stocking program then we need to remind the fisheries managers and the Minister what the angling public want.
Peter

Dave Jensen didn't make this up and the info in question was published by the powers that be along with the request for C&R.
I'd say the Jensens are a much more reliable source in the Alberta fishing community than some Guy on a the AO forum saying several of us are wrong and more or less making this up.

PeterSL
01-27-2016, 11:48 AM
I didn't say Dave was making this up. I'm sure he didn't. I'm just interested in finding out the actual statement from the province that he based his comments on and I've emailed him to ask. Nor did I say that you or anyone else was wrong. In fact, as I said, there's rarely smoke without fire. You may well be right. All I want to find out is the actual basis for the statements about discontinuing the tiger stocking program, especially as it was never mentioned at the last Fisheries Roundtable meeting or by 3 different provincial fisheries managers that I talked to about tiger stocking and other matters yesterday. When and if I find that source and can verify the information then I can start to fight against it. I know others would too.
Still waiting on a call back from the Fisheries Section Head, Fish and Wildlife Division. I'll let you know the outcome.

FlyTheory
01-27-2016, 02:48 PM

There are rare cases of x-breeding noted in the US, and I'm sure there are some in Alberta (maybe in Stauffer?). But the success rate for cross breeding such distant species is just so low that, if you do find one, it's like finding a gold nugget. Even closer species (taxonomic speaking), like bulls and brooks have a low success rate, and they aren't very speciated.

EZM
01-27-2016, 03:50 PM
There are rare cases of x-breeding noted in the US, and I'm sure there are some in Alberta (maybe in Stauffer?). But the success rate for cross breeding such distant species is just so low that, if you do find one, it's like finding a gold nugget. Even closer species (taxonomic speaking), like bulls and brooks have a low success rate, and they aren't very speciated.

True of 2n fish only. These are 3N and there would be zero possibility of this.

RavYak
01-27-2016, 05:05 PM
Guys the plan is and always has been a 2 year monitoring program. There were still supposedly a few trout at the hatchery, not sure what did or is happening with them but after that it is my belief nothing is being done until after the monitoring program.

From the governments website, mywildalberta.

Fisheries management is conducting a two-year monitoring program of the initial stocking to gauge the performance (catch rate, angling effort, survival and growth) and dietary preferences of tiger trout with an overall objective of improving Alberta’s stocked fisheries and to help form best management practices for the stocking of this sterile hybrid in Alberta. Ecological effects on the aquatic community and behavioral patterns of tiger trout will also be monitored.

During the survey, fisheries management asks that all tiger trout caught be voluntarily released. Tiger trout have yet to be defined as a game fish in regulation and voluntary release is required to monitor tiger trout performance and thus the future of the tiger trout stocking in Alberta.

FlyTheory
01-27-2016, 05:09 PM
True of 2n fish only. These are 3N and there would be zero possibility of this.

I'm not suggesting these (or any..) 3n fish would reproduce lol. I was referring to the question "is there any cross breeding in the wild" (paraphrased), I assumed he was talking about diploid fish reproducing to create hybrid offspring in the wild.

PeterSL
01-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Still waiting on a call back from the Fisheries Section Head, Fish and Wildlife Division. I'll let you know the outcome.

Call back received. I described the reports made in posts by DonTreadOnMe and EZM that the tiger trout stocking program was discontinued and was told definitively as follows: there has been NO decision to stop the tiger trout stocking program; the original plan is still in place and there is no reason to change it; that plan was to stock them (the stocking locations got changed because of the aeration issues), to evaluate, and then to make plans for the longer term. Those plans will include determining the best locations, numbers, size etc based on observations and evidence from the current stockings. It has to be recognized that there are limitations on raising tiger trout as hatchery survival rates are low, it takes two years for them to achieve what is currently thought to be the optimal size for stocking (25-30cm), and space is limited. However, the plan remains unchanged and new stock are being raised.
I hope that helps. I believe our part in this plan as anglers is to do whatever we can to ensure that enough of them survive to reach the large size of which they're capable and to give Fisheries the feedback they need to make the plan as successful as possible.

huntsfurfish
01-27-2016, 11:19 PM
:)

does it ALL outdoors
01-28-2016, 01:12 AM
Oh boy ...not to be a pain in the you know what but corn is a terrible bait for fish they can't crap it out and eventually die and I hardly see any keep able fish according to my fishing ethics let em go let em grow most of those fish are still baby's and the Tigers will never be stocked again but can get to big sizes but to each their own...fish on
I couldent agree more. I was more then happy to throw em all back at black nugget, sadly there was a group of 6 youngsters pullin em out one after another and keeping them all. There was a survey taker there and asked what I hoped for, told her I hoped she would go over and educate them. It's not hard to figure out why fish generally don't get big in 'berta. The fish in that pick are just minnows. Me me me :angry3:

chriscosta
01-28-2016, 06:57 AM
Well its a fine line as its illegal to keep an unlisted fish ..but they aren't gamefish ....but they are trout limit of 5 so I don't know what to think other than keeping any at all is illegal or...keeping more than 5 ...definatly shouldn't be letting people keep em all....

FlyTheory
01-28-2016, 10:00 AM
Maybe we need to tell the bucket brigade to take them to muir lake ;) lol jk